Princess Christina of Sweden Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The brooch looks a bit like the Cut Steel tiara.

:previous: That brooch is a real whopper, and quite beautiful. It might work well on an evening gown. I wonder what the history of this brooch is.

Princess Christina seems to have the best jewels of all the kings sisters.Pity the ones that were stolen a few years back were never retrieved.

Princess Christina seems to have the best jewels of all the kings sisters.Pity the ones that were stolen a few years back were never retrieved.

I thought Margareta did quite well, with the collet necklace and the Aquamarine kokoshnik. Also, Princess Birgitta has the beautiful sapphire and diamond necklace, which, if I am not mistaken, is a Bernadotte piece.

Also, Princess Birgitta has the beautiful sapphire and diamond necklace, which, if I am not mistaken, is a Bernadotte piece.

No the sapphire Parure was no Bernadotte heirloom. It was a Wedding gift from king Ferdinand of Bulgaria to Princess Sibylla so she was the only Bernadotte to weear it before Princess Birgitta.

No the sapphire Parure was no Bernadotte heirloom. It was a Wedding gift from king Ferdinand of Bulgaria to Princess Sibylla so she was the only Bernadotte to weear it before Princess Birgitta.

Thank you for sharing that information, I did not know that.

However, perhaps I should have been more precise in the way I made my original statement. The sapphire and diamond necklace was a present to Princess Birgitta from her family, rather than one from her husband's family or one she acquired herself.

The sapphire and diamond necklace was a present to Princess Birgitta from her family, rather than one from her husband's family or one she acquired herself.

It is said that the sapphire necklace originally belonged to Russian Empress Maria Feodorovna (Dagmar) who, after being exiled, sold it to Bulgarian King Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, who in turn gifted it to his cousin Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha on the occasion of her marriage to Crown Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden. She in turn left it to Birgitta, her only daughter who made equal marriage, now Princess von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen.

I thought Margareta did quite well, with the collet necklace and the Aquamarine kokoshnik. Also, Princess Birgitta has the beautiful sapphire and diamond necklace, which, if I am not mistaken, is a Bernadotte piece.

We see more of Princess Christina than the kings other sisters at Gala events,the Haga Princesses all have fine jewel chests.

It is said that the sapphire necklace originally belonged to Russian Empress Maria Feodorovna (Dagmar) who, after being exiled, sold it to Bulgarian King Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, who in turn gifted it to his cousin Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha on the occasion of her marriage to Crown Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden. She in turn left it to Birgitta, her only daughter who made equal marriage, now Princess von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen.
The story goes that King Ferdinand offered Princess Sibylla the choice of any gemstone she wanted from a small batch he carried in his pocket and when she chose sapphires he had the necklace made from the stones he'd bought from Empress Dagmar.

Last edited:
The story goes that King Ferdinand offered Princess Sibylla the choice of any gemstone she wanted from a small batch he carried in his pocket and when she chose sapphires he had the necklace made from the stones he'd bought from Empress Dagmar.

What an interesting story. Thank you for sharing it here.

I always like to hear some interesting stories about royals and jewels.

16th August 2020

Divers searched for missing family heirloom in Lake Mälaren
On Sunday, the environmental initiative Rena Mälaren made an attempt to find Princess Christina's family heirloom, which disappeared eight years ago after a theft.
However, the expedition didn't succeed, the more than 50 divers who participated find the most decks and used boat batteries, says Fredrik Johansson who is behind the project.
- In two years, we have found over 12 tons of rubbish, he says.
Dykare sökte efter försvunnen släktklenod i Mälaren - DN.SE

The Six Button Tiara and Princess Christina pearls really compliment each other.

The Six Button Tiara and Princess Christina pearls really compliment each other.
I agree. As usually, the princess wears the buttons tiara really well and the two strand pearl necklace works well with it. But not that heavy long gold chain.:eek: It doesn't fit in the mix. Is this gold jewel known? The pendant looks like it could be a historically significant jewel.

I agree. As usually, the princess wears the buttons tiara really well and the two strand pearl necklace works well with it. But not that heavy long gold chain.:eek: It doesn't fit in the mix. Is this gold jewel known? The pendant looks like it could be a historically significant jewel.
As LadyFinn wrote in the post linked below it's The Kings Medal that was awarded to Princess Christina last year.
Princess Christina at the official dinner yesterday evening, wearing the Karl Johan Tiara (Six Button Tiara), pearls and H.M. The King's Medal 12th size with diamonds in chain, which she got from the King last year.
https://image.svenskdam.se/sdls6hep...1733951&width=1600&height=1708&compression=80

Thanks for pointing that out, I had overlooked that information. Well, I admit to say that I still don't like the look of this heavy chain combined with regular jewels.

Princess Christina at the gala dinner of the Dutch State Visit, wearing the Connaught Diamond Tiara and H.M. The King's Medal 12th size with diamonds on a chain of gold. Tord Magnuson has H.M. The King's Medal 12th size gold medal worn around the neck on the Order of the Seraphim ribbon
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Last edited:
Finally Princess Cristina wore some other tiara than the 6-buttons tiara. My wish was heard! And the Connaught tiara is one of my favourite Swedish tiaras, imo it's very beautiful.

:previous: This tiara is also referred to as the Connaught Diamond Tiara. There is a different tiara called the Connaught Fringe Tiara.

:previous: This tiara is also referred to as the Connaught Diamond Tiara. There is a different tiara called the Connaught Fringe Tiara.
In Sweden it's known as Prinsessan Sibyllas diadem (Princess Sibylla's tiara) and apparently it's known by the family as Mammas diadem (Mummy's tiara).

When speaking of the Swedish royal family, there is only one tiara that can be referred to as the Connaught tiara. It's pretty obvious, the Princess Cristina of Sweden is not wearing one of the British Connaught tiaras. There are other terms that can refer to this tiara, but the term Connaught tiara is widely understood by royal watcher.

Finally Princess Cristina wore some other tiara than the 6-buttons tiara. My wish was heard! And the Connaught tiara is one of my favourite Swedish tiaras, imo it's very beautiful.

And also it suits Princess Christina's hairstyle and also glad to see a different tiara being worn!

Back
Top Bottom