The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Here's a sketch of the wedding presents of the Portuguese royal house to Queen D.ª Amélia. They all were pieces by jewelers Leitão & Irmão:

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5...identen273.jpg

And another parure worn by Queen D.ª Maria Pia:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2466/ocidente339.jpg

Old 08-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Royal Highness

Those jewels are beautiful! I like the little opera glasses at the top, too

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Serene Highness

Lately I've been doing a lot of research on the Portuguese royal family & I found some pictures of Manuel II's wife Augusta Victoria's beautiful Jewels & was wondering where they went since she never had children? I hope someone has an answer for me. :) Here are some of the pictures
Königin Auguste Victoria von Portugal |Royal Jewels Rainha Portugal
Queen Auguste Victoria of Portugal |Rainha de Portugal Jóias| Jewels
Old 08-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Nobility

I have just found this site with lots of pictures of Portugal's Crown Jewels
Monarquicos.com - Monarquia em Portugal - Fórum : Exibir tópico - Jóias da Coroa Portuguesa, their origin and whereabouts.
The pictures are from a book that belonged to the poster's grandmother. There are some of the stolen ones in Haia and also Maria Pia's Star tyara and neckace.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Commoner

Infanta Maria Francisca of Portugal

Love the way infanta Maria Francisca of Portugal wears her tiara's and neclaces..

File:Infanta Maria Francisca of Portugal.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:Mariafrancisca-aparicio-MHN.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have had good experience and trial of this world. I know what it is to be a subject, what to be a sovereign, to have good neighbours, meet evil willers, found treason in trust and seen great benefits little regarded.
Elizabeth I
Old 11-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Does anybody know what happened to this Boucheron tiara bought for Queen Auguste Viktoria by king Manuel II?

Queen of Crowns Blog: Lily of the Valley Diamond Tiara
Old 11-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Serene Highness

I've wondered the same thing for a long time! King Manuel did leave everything he owned to the Portuguese state in his will, so I do hope after she died it went back to Portugal to be with the rest of the royal family Jewels left there, that way one day if there is a restoration of the monarchy, the queen will have that tiara! (yes I'm hopeful for a restoration lol!)
Old 11-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Does anybody know what happened to this Boucheron tiara bought for Queen Auguste Viktoria by king Manuel II?

Queen of Crowns Blog: Lily of the Valley Diamond Tiara
I do not know how on earth I could have possibly have missed this gorgeous piece! Thank you for sharing.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
! (yes I'm hopeful for a restoration lol!)
I have never seen before the pic, thanks Marengo.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Serene Highness

I had always assumed Queen Amelia had sold her Emerald Parure that she received from her parents for her wedding when she went into exile because she needed money, but I found a picture of her wearing it in older age. I heard she left some jewels to her French Family, does anyone with whom this tiara ended up with? Most likely at an auction, if she had left it to D. Duarte Pio, this beautiful piece would be safely in the hands of the Portuguese royal family. :/
Here's the picture I spoke of:
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9950/06ameliail6.jpg
Old 05-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Nobility

Well, I know where a Queen Amelia's ruby neckace, sometimes worn as a tiara, was at some point: wtih Barbara Hutton! scroll down the page till the middle of it Barbara Hutton / Marie Antoinette Pearl Necklace-Reference Database -Internet Stones.COM
I wonder where it is now...
Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Serene Highness

I've seen that before but have never been able to find a picture of Queen Amelie wearing it! Such a pity she didn't leave more to the Duke of Braganca! :/
Old 05-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I do not know how on earth I could have possibly have missed this gorgeous piece! Thank you for sharing.
It is beautiful.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Nobility

There's been a discussion in the thread Pre-Napoleonic Tiaras about the time the Bragança Tiara was first created, with Boris providing a lot of information.
I am fortunate to participate in a Brazilian Genealogy Newsgroup in which there are several respected historians, genealogists and authors. I questioned the participants about the tiara and Paulo Rezzutti (author of the book "Titilia and Demonão" - that's how D. Pedro I and Domitila de Castro Mello, Marqueza de Santos called each other when they were lovers) brought some lights about its origin.
When D. João VI, still living in Brazil at that time, arranged his son’s (D. Pedro I) marriage to Archduchess Maria Leopoldina (daughter of Francis II, Holy Roman Emperor) in 1817, he sent the Marquis of Marialva in a most exquisite and luxurious embassy to the Austrian Court. D. João VI sent along to almost everybody in the Austrian court expensive jewels and stones from Brazil as tokens of the occasion , including some spectacular diamonds to D. Leopoldina.
After D. Leopoldina died, D. Pedro I married D. Amélia (Amélie Auguste Eugénie Napoléone de Beauharnais) in 1829 and gave her a tiara. There is a document signed by D. Pedro I in 1830 in the archives of the Imperial Museum of Petrópolis in which he recognizes he is in debt with his children by D. Leopoldina because he used the diamonds that had belonged to their mother to make the tiara he gave to D. Amélia.
The very best diamonds Brazil has ever produced were from the XVIII century and I guess some of them were probably sent to a diamantaire before being given to D. Leopoldina. That is why the research conducted in 1976 by the Swidish for an expositon of the royal jewels on the occasion of King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia’s wedding reported that the Bragança tiara was from the XVIII century.
Anyway, the Bragança tiara and other diamond jewels left by D. Amélia do her sister Queen Josephine of Sweden seem to have been made from D. Leopoldina’s diamonds.
Mr. Rezzutti also remembers that at some point he was informed that there is a letter from D. Amélia to her mother, Duchess Augusta, in which she says she wore the diamond tiara given by D. Pedro I at the first “Beija-Mão” (a ceremony of Portuguese and Brazilian usage when the nobles kissed the hand of the King and Queen to demonstrate their obidience) in Brazil. That might be the reason why the Bragança tiara was refered previously by Queen Josephine as Coronation Tiara.
I don’t consider this issue closed, but I tend to believe that the Bragança tiara was either mounted for D. Leopoldina (as a first version, then alterered to D. Amélia) or to D. Amélia, which means it is not pre-napoleonic.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Dear cmbruno, thank you so much for this detailed information!
Most fascinating, probably explains a lot about the Brazilian inheritance to Queen Josefina of Sweden, and I'm quite certain that these facts are unknown to the Swedish royal family as well.
You should seriously consider writing to the Royal Palace in order to let them know about these details; Queen Silvia would certainly appreciate it - she did so before when a member of the Royal Jewels message board found a miniature of Queen Hortense of Holland, Napoléon's stepdaughter, wearing the cameo tiara from the Bernadotte collection.
You don't happen to be a member of the Royal Jewels MB, do you?
If not, I'd love to post a link there to your post above, if you don't mind.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Nobility

Go ahead, Boris, use the information as much as you like at the Royal Jewels. As for writing to the Royal Palace in Sweden, I will suggest Mr. Rezzutti to do that, since he was the one to come up with the pivotal information about the document at the Imperial Museum of Petrópolis.
I thank you very much for the opportunity of discussing with you a subject I am most interested about and learning so much from you.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you very much, cmbruno.
Here's the link to my post on the RJWMB, just in case anyone is going to contribute to the discussion over there:

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: The Swedish Braganza Tiara: New details
Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbruno View Post
Go ahead, Boris, use the information as much as you like at the Royal Jewels. As for writing to the Royal Palace in Sweden, I will suggest Mr. Rezzutti to do that, since he was the one to come up with the pivotal information about the document at the Imperial Museum of Petrópolis.
Please, it was Cláudia Thome Witte, who is a friend of Paulo Rezzutti (and of mine) who made the researches at the Imperial Museum in Petropolis as well as in Stockholm, Munich, etc!
Claudia Wtte is the one who came with the informations provided to Paulo Rezzutti. And she is writting a bio on Empress Amélia.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto2244 View Post
Please, it was Cláudia Thome Witte, who is a friend of Paulo Rezzutti (and of mine) who made the researches at the Imperial Museum in Petropolis as well as in Stockholm, Munich, etc!
Claudia Wtte is the one who came with the informations provided to Paulo Rezzutti. And she is writting a bio on Empress Amélia.
Yes, Alberto. Paulo said that he was helping someone with some reasearches about this subject. I really did not know the name of the author. So I posted an information Paulo had given me in a forum and told Paulo I was posting here.
And of course I will buy Claudia's Book. Somewhere here on this group (maybe on Sweden's royal jewls) there is already a link informing about Claudia's book.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Royal Highness

I am sad to see that many of these no longer work any more in terms of links :(. I went back to the beginning I'd the thread to look at photos and see jewels and noticed that I could not see most of them :(

Tags
bragança, jewellery, portugal