Other Danish Royal and Noble Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hans

Gentry
She has a very nice collection of tiaras.

Let's show some pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering of someone knows how many tiaras that Countess Ruth has... I think about 6-7,wich is a lot, more than every European Princess !!!

Who is Countess Ruth of Roseburg?

Last edited:
Countess Ruth is the widow of Count Flemming of Rosenborg. Count Flemming was born Prince Flemming of Denmark, the son of Prince Axel of Denmark & Princess Margaretha of Sweden.

Margaretha was the sister of Queen Astrid of Belgium and Crown Princess Martha of Norway and Prince Carl Bernadotte.

I think she has 7 tiaras :wub:

Opal Tiara
Small Opal Tiara
Ruby Kokoshnik Tiara
Diamond Loop Tiara
Small Diamond Tiara
Lava Tiara
Turquoise Star Tiara

RachelD said:
who is Countess Ruth?
Countess Ruth af Rosenborg is the wife of the former Prince Flemming of Denmark. When they married in 1949 he renounced for himself and his descendants the title of Prince of Denmark and qualification of Highness and received the title of Count af Rosenborg. Count Flemming died in 2002.

Princes of Denmark who married "unequally" were demoted to Counts af Rosenborg until at least 1971.

I hope to see the whole bunch of Rosenborg tiaras at the party of King Harald:flowers:

Countess Ruth has 6-7 tiaras? I've only ever seen four at the most (including one of the few cameo tiaras). I also always thought that she had one tiara which could be altered to have different motifs along the top, meaning that I've really only ever seen her in three tiaras:
1) Diamond tiara with interchangeable motif
2) Kokoshnik Ruby (?) tiara
3) Cameo tiara

At Prince and Princess Axel of Danemark's auction , Prince Flemming's heirs sold a tiara in glass-stone belonging to princess Margareta, the original never left their safe at the bank. It was sold +/- 350 euros.
Amoung the jewels some were copies and others like a brooch were diamants .
I hope the jewels belonging to Countess Ruth are really originals and not copies.
Countess Ruth inherited one or two tiaras belonging to the late Princess Viggo who had no children

:previous::previous:
which one is Countess Ruth?
Love the purple dress on the left hand side. :flowers:

She is standing behing Victoria and Silvia :flowers:

Next to her, her husband the late Count Flemming of Rosenberg . Next them Prince Ingolf of Danemark , Prince Knud's eldest son with his second wife who wears the fringe tiara of Queen Alexandrine ??

Next to her, her husband the late Count Flemming of Rosenberg . Next them Prince Ingolf of Danemark , Prince Knud's eldest son with his second wife who wears the fringe tiara of Queen Alexandrine ??

I think this is not the fringe tiara. It looks like the tiara which Ingolf's first wife the late Countess Inge used to wear.

:previous:
Ahh thank you Lilla and Marie_Olivia.
Does anybody know who the woman is in the purple dress?
:flowers:

If you mean the lady behind the King of Sweden , it is Prince Ingolf of Danemark's second wife, I forgot her surname ( Suzy ??), but I'am sure Stefan knows it because his first wife was Inge.

Countess Ruth has 6-7 tiaras? I've only ever seen four at the most (including one of the few cameo tiaras). I also always thought that she had one tiara which could be altered to have different motifs along the top, meaning that I've really only ever seen her in three tiaras:
1) Diamond tiara with interchangeable motif
2) Kokoshnik Ruby (?) tiara
3) Cameo tiara

Countess Ruth also has an opal tiara, which she inherited from "Princess" Viggo. She (Ruth) had it changed if I remember correctly, but she doesn't wear it often.

I take it that the cameo tiara you're referring to is the one from the lava parure ?? :)

Viv

If you mean the lady behind the King of Sweden , it is Prince Ingolf of Danemark's second wife, I forgot her surname ( Suzy ??), but I'am sure Stefan knows it because his first wife was Inge.

Yes it is Countess Susie of Risenborg.

I am sure Countess Ruth was at the Royal Dinner of Prince henrik's 75 birthday, such as Prince Knud's 3 children Elisabeth Ingolf and Christian , as minor royals no pictures about them. They surely wore huge tiaras much better than Mary's loan tiara..

The website for the danish jewels only seems to give tiara information. Is it still being worked on? It looks like it could be a great site when finished.

Countess Ruth also has an opal tiara, which she inherited from "Princess" Viggo. She (Ruth) had it changed if I remember correctly, but she doesn't wear it often.

I take it that the cameo tiara you're referring to is the one from the lava parure ?? :)

Viv

I'm afraid I am unfamiliar with the names people use for Countess Ruth's parures. The only picture I have seen is a black-and-white of the countess in a parure in Napoleonic style, with oval carved plaques which appear to be some type of cameo or intaglio. If it is some sort of lava rock or glass, that's it for sure.

This is a tiara which belonged before to Princess Viggo.

This is a tiara which belonged before to Princess Viggo.

Indeed :flowers:! It is a kokoshnik- style tiara, and the red stones are probably garnets, according to the Danish RF jewellery expert.

I've checked my sources for an inventory list of tiaras belonging so countess Ruth; so far I've come up with five:

1. Garnet kokoshnik tiara, ca. 1930. Provenance: Princess Viggo
2. Turqoise & diamond star tiara. Provenance: (Swedish court)-Princess Ingeborg - Princess Margaretha
3. Diamond tiara. France ca. 1885? -Provenance: Princess Marie (Orleans)-Princess Margaretha
4. Opal tiara, France ca. 1885. Provenance: Princess Marie (Orleans) -
Prince Viggo, for the use of future bride. Princess Viggo had the spray- style tiara dismantled and remade into a smaller tiara and necklace.
5. The cameo tiara from the lava paprure.
Allegedly an heirloom from Queen Desirée of Sweden; it somehow ended up in Denmark as via Princess Margaretha. She gave it to Prince Georg, her elder son, who was married to Anne Bowes-Lyon. Princess Anne wore this unusual tiara from time to other, but I haven't seen it worn in recent times. Prince Georg survived his wife and bequeathed the tiara to countess Ruth.

Viv

Thanks and fine thread, Viv.
Imagine Queen Alexandrine's jewelry which was important equally split and given to her two sons, that means that the Danish minor royals have more jewelry than the Queen's close family.( I don't speak about the Rosenberg castle's jewels).
Countess Ruth heritage is important because Viggo and Georg had no children. It is great that Countess Ruth never sold them. The only tiara they sold in the Paris auction was a tiara with glass-stones instead of diamants.
I bought when I visited Amalienburg the book : Juvelerne I det Danske Kongehus by
Barne Steen Jensen. Altough I may not read danish the pictures I understand the pictures.

Anne Boyes-Lyon , niece of the Queen Mother Eisabeth, was the mother of the late famous Count Patrick Lichfield and his sister Countess Anson. I am sure they have jewelry from their mother but perhaps not the Danish ones.

3. Diamond tiara. France ca. 1885? -Provenance: Princess Marie (Orleans)-Princess Margaretha
Is Nr. 3 the big diamond loop tiara which was often worn by Pricness Margaretha? If yes this one was sold by the descendants of Prince Georg according to a poster on the Royal Jewels MB some time ago.

Is Nr. 3 the big diamond loop tiara which was often worn by Pricness Margaretha? If yes this one was sold by the descendants of Prince Georg according to a poster on the Royal Jewels MB some time ago.

According to DRF jewellery expert Bjarne Steen Jensen there were (at least) two diamonond tiaras from the estate of Princess Viggo. There was a loop tiara, which was left to count Flemming/countess Ruth and there was a "scroll" tiara (IMO the best description), which Princess Viggo had commissioned as late as 1957 at the Dragsted royal jewellers in Copenhagen. This scroll tiara was bequathed to Prince Georg/princess Anne. According to BSJ this tiara was worn by Lady Elizabeth Anson, the daugther of Princess Anne, at her wedding in 1972. I suppose it would have been a straight forward matter for Prince Georg to leave this tiara to this stepdaugther!

Kind regards

Viv

Imagine Queen Alexandrine's jewelry which was important equally split and given to her two sons, that means that the Danish minor royals have more jewelry than the Queen's close family.

Absolutely! The Prince Knud-line of the family has some interesting jewellery! The problem is that they get less and less opportunity to wear it!

Countess Ruth heritage is important because Viggo and Georg had no children. It is great that Countess Ruth never sold them. The only tiara they sold in the Paris auction was a tiara with glass-stones instead of diamants.

Lol! Princess Viggo had a bad habit of using fakes in some of her tiaras!. However the "scroll" tiara mentioned in a my previous post was actually remade with real stones! How about that! You'll find a photo of this tiara of page 133 of BSJ's book. The loop tiara is on p 134-135.

I bought when I visited Amalienburg the book : Juvelerne I det Danske Kongehus by Barne Steen Jensen. Altough I may not read danish the pictures I understand the pictures.

Wow! I'm impressed! However you're always welcome to ask for a translation or explanation! :)

I'm just wondering whether Countess Ruth still has the lava parure. According to BSJ she does, however I have never seen her wearing it. BSJ is striving to be accurate, but he may not have the gospel truth in this case. Countess Ruth is not credited in the foreword for volunteering any information, and she's hardly the type you barge in on and ask! Then again, she's got one daughter and three daugthers- in- law. Maybe she's saving the tiaras for them? I saw that her four children and their spouses were in Oslo for the 70th birthday of King Harald, however they were placed in the back row of the family photograph, and it was very difficult to distinguish the tiaras.

Kind regards
Viv

Last edited:
Let's go for broke - three tiaras in one pic!
Georg, Axel & Fleming and Anne, Margaretha & Ruth
Two parents, two sons and two daughters- in- law; all gone, except for countess Ruth!

Princess Anne is wearing the turquoise and diamond star tiara now belonging to Ruth.
Princess Margaretha is wearing the circle diamond & pearl tiara, now belonging to her niece Princess Ragnhild, Mrs. Lorenzen.

The Countess Ruth is wearing a (diamond?) tiara, which was to be inherited by the brother of Margaretha, Prince Carl Bernadotte (Jr.) (1911-2003), one of the many Swedish princes losing his royal style and privileges due to an unequal marriage. He was granted a princely title by the Belgian King Leopold, but that's a different story. Carl was married three times and had one daugther; who knows what happened to the tiara?

Viv

Back
Top Bottom