Marie Chantal, Crown Princess Pavlos Jewellery 1: Ending 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's rather silly. Frederika also wore the Russian emerald parure throughout her husband's reign and I don't see Anne-Marie hesitating to wear those pieces.

And no matter how controversial Frederika's role was in Greek politics, it certainly pales next to the resentments still held against her son, Constantine, as a former King. So, I doubt anyone cares about which tiara is being worn by Anne-Marie in terms of standing with history.

The tiara is far too big for her and her head. And just by the way: This is a Queensize Tiara and should just be worn by a Queen and not by a princess. Especially because Frederike wore it as her best tiara.

I agree the tiara is not flattering for Marie-Chantal's narrow face. It overwhelms her and looks top-heavy on her head.

As far as who should be wearing it, it is rather strange to me the tiara debuted on Marie-Chantal, rather than her mother-in-law, who was actually Queen of the Hellenes. But if she bought it with her money, she can do what she wants.

If M-C continues to wear this tiara, she needs to close it up more to fit her head, play around with hairstyles or, dare I say, customize it the way CP Mary did to her ruby tiara. But in the long run, I'd also have preferred to see Anne Marie wear it. As mentioned, it is a queen of Greece's tiara and more befitting for her. But, then again, it belongs to the one who paid for it.

Last edited:
Maybe they kept the tiara under lock and key for bad times and now they have/had a financial supply shortfall and therefore "sold" the Tiara to MC or her family
Or they weren´t permitted to admit that it´s still in their possession and now the statute of limitation is over (maybe the Greek state is/was entitled to it)
Nevertheless, in case they really did business with MC or her family (sell it to her or her father and her father gave it back to her as a present) it would shed a light on the relationship between MC and her parents-in-law or the whole behavior of Constantine in case he needs money...

:previous: The Greek State never held any claim over the family's jewels (they were always considered a clearly private matter) and AFAIK the authorities let them take them abroad during every exile. But I have abother idea concerning limitations and why ; Frederika died in 1981 and left them piece either a) directly to her grandson or b) to her son. Then the family decided to use it as a collateral for a loan (I assume at this point that if the first scenario is correct, Pavlos' parents had the right as his legal guardians to decide this), on the condition that upon an agreed date (lets say, on exactly 30 years), the money should be repaid in order to get the tiara back. So the tiara was "in the family" as Anne Marie stated, but off the limits. If I am right and if this date came during these past months and if Marie Chantal was the one to repay the loan, then she got to wear it a) as Pavlos' wife, or b) as a sign of apreciation and courtesy. I hope I didn't make to much of a sci-fi scenario here:D

Frederika left Greece in 1967 with Constantine and Anne-Marie. Given they had little money, she undoubtedly had to rely on her Hanover relatives (who are very wealthy) and undoubtedly Queen Elizabeth II (very quietly) to help them get settled over time. But with few other assets, she had to do something to provide for her family, especially since Juan Carlos and Sofia had minimal resources at the time.

Although it has long been rumored Constantine received substantial gifts of money from the Greek tycoons for years, this likely didn't happen until well into the 1970's. In the meantime, Frederika had to provide for herself and help Constantine and Anne-Marie. Short of auctioning the entire collection off, using Sophie's diamond tiara as collateral made sense.

I don't think Marie-Chantal is wearing the tiara as "courtesy" from Anne-Marie. I think she's wearing it because it belongs to her.

I don;t think the family would have had a problem selling the jewels publically if money was the issue. A public auction would no doubt have brought is a larger amount of dollars than what ever the private assessment would have been as we have seen from other auctions. The family did not have a problem selling off Frederikas huge sapphire at auction, around 2003.

branchg;1360548 Although it has long been rumored Constantine received substantial gifts of money from the Greek tycoons for years said:
Until 1973, Constantine continued to receive his allowance from the state, since the military regime didn't question his status as Head of State until that year. I don't know the exact amount of money, but since it has been decided when he was still an active King, I assume it should be adequate to provide them a decent life in Italy.

However it was - looking at the base - it seems rather thick and not fitting. It looks like the base was covered for another person - e.g. Queen Anne Marie?

Thank you Viv - I am certainly glad the Danish nation has moved on! But I know from my history lessons that our own Queen Alexandra and the Tsarina Maria Feodorovna (Princess Dagmar) never forgave the Prussian side of the family - I wonder if it is just a family stigma which would stop Queen Anne Marie from wearing the tiara - the emeralds and rubies are acquisitions from Queen Olga - so a safe Russian route. The diamond tiara is from the Prussian side and much beloved by Queens Sophia & Frederika! Just a theory of mine... I certainly do not believe that it was sold to anyone and rescued by Crown Princess Pavlos' Millions!

I know that the two sisters were hissing anti-Prussians! Maybe it's time
to remind ourselves that their father was so intent on keeping Schleswig-Holstein that he contacted Biscmark and offered to let Denmark join
the German Federation (and he did so without telling his government!!) How about that:whistling:? The only reason that German is not my mother's tongue is that Biscmark turned down King Christian's suggestion - he thought it would cause too much trouble with the German - rsp. Danish minded populations in the area. So first Bismarck gives the King a refusal and next he humiliates the ill-equipped Danish troops and takes the duchies.

Back to the Sophie-tiara: I'll go along with Snowflower's collateral theory, but of course, we could both be wrong :). I suppose it would trigger
one or two additional posts should Anne-Marie decide to wear the tiara
in connection with the 60th jubilee in the UK. I take it that there will
be at least one tiara-occasion, or what?? :)
Until 1973, Constantine continued to receive his allowance from the state, since the military regime didn't question his status as Head of State until that year.

Constantine and Anne-Marie were also said to be supported by her mother (Queen Ingrid). She had had inherited her father in 1973, so it makes sense!

viv

Last edited:
However it was - looking at the base - it seems rather thick and not fitting. It looks like the base was covered for another person - e.g. Queen Anne Marie?

It's undoubtedly a very heavy tiara and needs a thick base cover to protect Marie-Chantal's scalp!

I'm sure she had a major headache after dinner after wearing that monster.

As none of them are queen of anywhere or crown princess of anywhere, except in a long ago past, who wears what is irrelevant. Anne Marie is a princess of Denmark and Constantine has ties to the same country as well as Hannover, etc. I, suspect, that that tiara was purchased by the deep pockets of the present "Crown Princess". She looked nice and Anne Marie has never plopped this on her hown head. If she owned it she would have worn it.

Its indeed a fab tiara! And also a mystery one! A thought I have is that if the GRF acctualy got money as a lone from someone and the tiara was returned when the loan was paid, who can this someone be? My theory in this case is QEII or QMII since both of them where Queens at the time of QFs death (I think?) and therfore had the economics to pay for a dimondtiara that could lay around unused.

I Think the King and Queen of Greece wore not able to buy this tiara which I think belonged to Princess irene. I am sure the Miller bought this tiara but it should have been a very long negotiation . She received a fringe tiara from her father too.
Thanks to the Mlller’s $$$

They're all beautiful and look really well on her, but if she continues to wear Queen Frederika's tiara she's got to experiment with different hairstyles or close up the tiara more to reduce its size on her head. And I just cannot get over those double-strand pearls in the wedding tiara photos; they look like the pop-bead necklaces I played with when younger. They're huge!

I know the focus is on MC's tiaras, but does anyone have any info on the earrings she wore on both evenings in Denmark? She wore these earrings for the first time at a pre-wedding dinner for visiting royals before William and Catherine's wedding.

I wish we knew more about where she buys her earrings. She has quite a nice earring collection that are all so unique. My favorite is the diamond infinity/ribbon earrings that she wore for Maxima's 40th birthday concert. She's had them for years but to date, no jeweler has been identified for those. I sure would like to know who designed this diamond one and the one she wore with Frederika's tiara. Anyone have ideas?

I know I read in Bazaar or Vogue that JAR is one of her favorite jewelers. Her husband bought her the large loop diamond earrings from there for her 4th child. The ones she wore for Danish celebration have that look of JAR. (although in the last 5 years everyone is copying him) So I'd say that is where alot comes from. Since he is an appt only jeweler and you have to be very "flush" to even get an invite, that sounds like the kind of place she would be able to go!

I think those earrings are beautiful but absolutly wrong for Queen Frederika's tiara. A simple pair of diamonds or even pearls would have looked way better.

I know I read in Bazaar or Vogue that JAR is one of her favorite jewelers. Her husband bought her the large loop diamond earrings from there for her 4th child. The ones she wore for Danish celebration have that look of JAR. (although in the last 5 years everyone is copying him) So I'd say that is where alot comes from. Since he is an appt only jeweler and you have to be very "flush" to even get an invite, that sounds like the kind of place she would be able to go!

Could you please direct me to a picture of this large loop diamond earrings? Is it any of the earrings on post 78 that Humera posted? Thanks.

Its post 81 from you! You called them ribbon earrings but in article MC calls them large loop earrings. Love them!!

Its post 81 from you! You called them ribbon earrings but in article MC calls them large loop earrings. Love them!!

Thanks for that! See she has other loop - which to me means hoop - earrings too with tiny diamonds hanging dangling on the length of the hoop.

yes, they have what looks like a purple sapphire and blue and white diamond accents. this is classic JAR, thats why I thought maybe they were from the same jeweler. Love them. the pave ball diamond earrings and bracelet set in dark rhodium also have that same look to me, but who knows. I wish there was more info on her incredible gems!

OOPS, I think you are talking about the large loop with the diamonds hanging down in line? I jumped to fast and didn't pay attention...sorry. Don't know anything about those except that I want them badly~!!:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those earrings M-C wore with Queen Frederika's tiara are doorknockers and competed too much with its size and ornateness.

Last edited:
:previous: They made for an interesting union, I'd agree Baroness.

That's the reason I think she got that tiara when she got to Denmark. Those earrings distract from the Frederika tiara. MC doesn't usually make that kind of mistake with accessories. I think that tiara was given to her as a surprise.

That's the reason I think she got that tiara when she got to Denmark. Those earrings distract from the Frederika tiara. MC doesn't usually make that kind of mistake with accessories. I think that tiara was given to her as a surprise.

Yes, this is what came to my mind too. Her earrings were a great match to the fringe tiara. She wore her diamond ball earrings at church earlier in the day which wouldn't have matched Frederika's tiara either so she had to repeat the pink/blue diamond hoops. (I'm thinking they are kunzite and tanzanite for the stones since JAR has used this combination of stones before).

The diamond ball earrings is probably from JAR too. This is a similar one that sold at a Christie's auction back in 2003: - Forbes.com
Or this could be the ones that she wears. I first noticed her wearing these ball earrings at the King of Sweden's 60th birthday, but not sure when she wore them for the first time.

If the tiara was given to M-C as a surprise, do you think her father bought it for her and arranged that she be given it in Denmark for the Jubilee festivities?

Last edited:
Interesting guess Baroness, I hadn't thought of that but it does seem reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom