Luxembourg Princesses Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Princess was wearing the necklace on her wedding day , I saw it on some rare pictures.
The bracelet is short as the wedding tiaras . They should not cut the necklace to make it shorter.

Confirmation from Hans (GREMB board)
Princess Josephine Charlotte wore the Congo necklace as necklace and the bracelet as tiara.
I wrote already in the past to Luxurazzi about that but they never answer.

Thanks for the pictures.
Tbh, I'm not really convinced. The necklace consists of three rows of stones, a row of baguette (?) cut stones in the middle, flanked by round stones on the inside and outside. That's just like the tiara. The bracelet, on the other hand, seems to be just two rows, one baguette cut, the other round cut. And on the wedding pic of GD Josephine-Charlotte, it looks like the necklace is just one row, so could be a single row diamond riviere.

The necklace consists of three parts. Most visible in front is the part with the three rows of diamonds. But to the sides the design changes to a two-row design like the bracelet. If these side parts are detachable, it would be easy to wear the middle part as tiara.

Now I have the right solution and you were right.
Princess Joséphine Charlotte wore the center of the Necklace (3 rows as tiara) and the bracelet (2 rows) and the end of the necklace (2 rows) as necklace the day of her Wedding

Last edited:
Is the Congo necklace still with the Grand Ducal family as a lot of the late Grand Duchess Joséphine Charlotte 's jewels were sold off after her death.

Love her choice of wedding tiara.

I found this article from Luxarazzi where is a list of tiaras of the Grand Duchy Family. There are about 30 tiaras and according to the same article there are many more tiaras in the coffers of the family and they are never seen ....
Luxarazzi 101: The Grand Ducal Tiara Collection

I found this article from Luxarazzi where is a list of tiaras of the Grand Duchy Family. There are about 30 tiaras and according to the same article there are many more tiaras in the coffers of the family and they are never seen ....

Yes, it is quite impressive. Actually one of the largest collections in Europe, probably surpassed nowadays only by the British.

Well, they are counting the tiaras that have been worn by Luxembourg Princesses. That's not the same as the tiaras owned by the Lux family. Most famously, Princess Stéphanie wore the Lannoy tiara at her wedding, or Princess Sybilla wore a the aquamarine tiara now owned by the Tolornia family. The art deco tiara of Princess Sybilla is counted twice, because it can be worn in two versions. Or their no. 25, the so-called Floral Button Tiara, might just as well be a serious of brooches attached to the hairstyle, without a proper tiara frame. And then there are tiaras which haven't been seen for ages, where it's completely unknown what they are, if they still exist and whom they belong to.

Yes, it is quite impressive. Actually one of the largest collections in Europe, probably surpassed nowadays only by the British.

In am afraid Luxarazzi was creative in his statistics. Necklaces, bracelets and broches put on a frame were counted as diadems, sometimes twice because in a somewhat different setting. Diadems from non-Luxembourg origin were included (Lannoy, Habsburg, Dillon, Weiller, etc.). I take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Some of them are wrongly included. Stephanie's wedding tiara, and the tiara Sibylla wore belong yo their families, not to the Lux royals.

Luxarazzi clearly stated:
Technically, not all of the following tiaras belong to the Grand Ducal Family. Some of them have belonged to the family - in the sense of the head of the family - since decades, others were gifts to certain members of the family and might have been inherited out of the main line while still others are still owned by individual members or persons associated with them. The only criteria for tiaras to make it into this list was to be available to at least one member of the family.

I think in fairness the Luxarazzi article was mean to show off all the tiaras that had been worn by members of the Grand Ducal Family rather than an inventory of the currently owned tiaras.
Still, the Grand Ducal family have a very sizeable number at their disposal for the RF of a relatively small country (not that size matters).

Luxarazzi clearly stated:

Yeah I guess I believe in old style journalism, even in blogs. I guess the blog sadly ha joined the ranks of the DM in misleading titles to draw in readers. They definitely padded that article with tiaras, knowing more people would go for photos and not the whole article.

I don't think Luxarazzi has lowered itself entirely to DM's frequent levels of misleading headlines. Yes, I wish for all articles and blogs to be accurate and for readers to read fully. I've cringed at inaccuracies at Royal Central and tumblr blogs...

In general, Luxarazzi remains an informative blog and I am appreciative of their efforts. Perhaps, at the time the team wanted a main page for all the tiaras worn by the GDF. They're certainly not aiming for more readers lately. The blog has moved to weekly summaries instead of covering each individual event.

Back on topic: Princess Sibilla's necklace on November 28
http://www.monarchie.lu/pictures/ph...001dmdmVisiteInformelle/DeMainDeMaitre-07.jpg

Yeah I guess I believe in old style journalism, even in blogs. I guess the blog sadly ha joined the ranks of the DM in misleading titles to draw in readers. They definitely padded that article with tiaras, knowing more people would go for photos and not the whole article.

That's a quite harsh statement about a 5 1/2 years old article that is part of their 101-series in which they tried to be as elaborate as possible about all the tiara's worn by members of the grand ducal family. They clearly spell it all out at first and they specifically state when a tiara is not owned by the family or might not truly be a tiara but only was used in that fashion by a member of the family.

I agree with Prisma that Luxarazzi is not trying to appease the masses (if they were they would write far more about Tessy for example) but really try to be informative, fair and accurate.

Last edited:
I think in fairness the Luxarazzi article was mean to show off all the tiaras that had been worn by members of the Grand Ducal Family rather than an inventory of the currently owned tiaras.
Still, the Grand Ducal family have a very sizeable number at their disposal for the RF of a relatively small country (not that size matters).

The country may be small, but the GD family is one of the wealthiest royal families in Europe, isn’t it ?

I also think that counting all tiaras that have been worn by family members is fair. Tiarapedia also used to do that, not only for Luxembourg, but for other countries as well. For example, it counted the Marichalar tiara under the Spanish royal tiaras ( because it was worn by Infanta Elena) or the Aosta tiara under the Belgian tiaras ( because it is currently worn by Princess Astrid).

Last edited:
Prince Lorenz is the owner of the Aoste tiara altough his mother is still alive.

When our Princess Joséphine Charlotte received her bracelet from the Belgian Nobility during a Ball , she was so hapoy and wore it at once.

Glad it wasn't sold off does it belong to Princess Margaretha now?

Afaik, Princess Margaretha has only worn it once. It might have been a loan, that's not clear.

Imo, this jewel is more successful as a bracelet than as a tiara. It's understandable, that the younger generations prefer the other tiaras in the collection. But I'd like to see it as a bracelet from time to time.

There was a suprising whiite Tie Event in Luxembourg for their New Years reception today. present where Hereditary Grand Duchess Stpehanie in a convertibve sapphire necklace/tiara and a diamond collet necklace and Princess Alexandra in the chiokler tiara without the pearls on top.

Wonderful jewels on Hereditary Grand Duchess all that was missing was a brooch.

Back
Top Bottom