Letizia, Princess of Asturias Jewellery 2: August 2007-June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I often wonder if there is money put away somewhere or gifts of some kind for new tiaras or other jewels to be commissioned at some point for princesses. We saw this often in the past. "gift from ladies of...." Maybe there were some stones that were "lying around"(like many of us have) for the new tiara.

I do love that they are adding to the royal collection.
I don't think that possible money put away would be from non relatives - IMO a "gift of the ladies..." would be commisioned immediately with the collected money, as a sign of recognision for their generosity. But perhaps Felipe put aside a sum every once a while, so that he could buy something "grand" on a special occasion. Or, you are right and there are some stones already in the family . Didn't Queen Ena had a tiara dismantled to make other jewellery, I think?
By the way, when it comes to the cost although the word "tiara" sounds awfully expensive , IMO this is not neccessarily the case. The are many different prices out there and there are cases when one single riviere of high quality diamonds can cost more tha a demi parure with a tiara . Sometimes times I think that , if we sum up the money from the designers' clothes the CPrincesses wear every year , they could buy a new piece of jewellery every year ( I know they can't do that , just a though :flowers:)

Maybe there were some stones that were "lying around"(like many of us have) for the new tiara.

I do love that they are adding to the royal collection.

Just maybe, the stones were from an awful collection that has been in the SRF vault for many many years and absolutely no one would wear the dreadful things again. Time to reset. I have done this to many of grandmother and great-grandmother's things -- darn jewelry was rather hideous and over the top -- but the stones were excellent, so had them reset and now many of us enjoy. We will never know the true story about this tiara, but fun for some to give opinions or even others to stir the pot.

I think its nice that she got a new tiara! Why make such a fuss about it, almost everyone buy their wives anniversary gifts, some buy flowers, other jewellery ;)

My interest in royal jewellery is very fresh, I wonder is it known what the CP got as wedding present either from her husband or in-laws?

... and than Queen Sofia. Letizia wore the Floral Tiara what kind of matched the flower applications on her dress. The fact that Cristina wore the most significant tiara of the SRF ladies attending only shows that, of course with Sofia's permission, at least 4 of the six tiaras are there to be shared. The other 2 may be reserved for Sofia (JC acquired the Loop Tiara for her and Fleur de Lys is for Queens only).

I dont mind Letizia getting her personal tiara, but find it only appropriate as Queen, not as CP. The same goes for all other CPs, they should use what is already in the family, what is quite significant in most cases (especially Maxima).

By the way, Letizia hardly wears any of the jewels she should have access to and in general not many jewels at all but when she does, it is usually the same stuff that she got from her husband.

The fact that Felipe now wants is wife to have her own tiara could lead to the conclusion that he is frustrated with Mommy sitting on her jewellery box, not giving her D-I-L access and to maximise his annoyance in Stockholm she even puts the biggest Tiara on Cristina's head, meaning he finally wants to do his wife some justice :p :whistling:
I don't know if you have read the article, but they write that Letizia received the tiara in order to wear it to Victoria's wedding:flowers:. However, because the crisis had worsened in Spain since Felipe decided to give it to her, she didn't wear it.(So they aren't showing off their new tiara in the middle of the crisis) They also write this is probably the reason Cristina wore that Cartier tiara and Letizia the Melleiro floral.
Also, the money they used to buy it it's the money they already have, it's not as if they asked the goverment for a rise to pay for it. JC bought the Cartier tiara Cristina wore before Sofía became Queen too.
And as someone has said, if people don't buy stuff, we'll never get out of this crisis!:flowers:

How exciting. i can't wait to see Letizia wear this new tiara.
The SRF has quite a few diamond and pearl tiaras already though. I'd love to see her in a tiara with sapphires or rubies.
The article says that pearls are the Spanish Queens' gems. Maybe it's tradition? The only "tiara" not made with pearls I can remember are the Niarchos Rubies, and they were a gift from Niarchos to a Greek princess.

And we must also consider the future events in about 20 years; there are only 6 tiaras, 2 of the reserved for the Queen. The Infantas and PofA are mainly sharing the rest and i don't think that we will see any of the Infantas with the Prussian tiara. anyway, when Leonor and Sofia are old enough they will also wear tiaras, maybe even Irene. Then we have 4 tiaras for 5 or six princesses. They need new tiaras to keep for the future generations. Besides Letizia's new tiara will one day perhaps be handed down to one of her daughters. so it's a good investment :)
And of course, it is always nice to see new tiaras ;)

And we must also consider the future events in about 20 years; there are only 6 tiaras, 2 of the reserved for the Queen. The Infantas and PofA are mainly sharing the rest and i don't think that we will see any of the Infantas with the Prussian tiara. anyway, when Leonor and Sofia are old enough they will also wear tiaras, maybe even Irene. Then we have 4 tiaras for 5 or six princesses. They need new tiaras to keep for the future generations. Besides Letizia's new tiara will one day perhaps be handed down to one of her daughters. so it's a good investment :)
And of course, it is always nice to see new tiaras ;)
I agree that there are not many tiaras in the SRF (at least that's what we know, but I don't suppose they have kept something hidden all these years), so an addition seems ok. Also Felipe might be pragmaticand looking forward and realize that Sofia would need a tiara one day but, being the "spare" , they can't give a royal heirloom to her and watch it disappear from the main collection. So a newly acquired piece is the best solution for the future.

I am always excited when there is a new tiara purchase! I am looking forward to the debut of this new Spanish tiara very much. I do hope it's a bit more substantial than the tiaras purchased for CP Mette-Marit and CP Mary; they are lovely tiaras, but I wouldn't mind something with a little more glamour. I also found it very odd how the tiaras were worn at the Swedish wedding. It struck me as quite odd--but I've heard that there is trouble afoot between Letizia and her sisters in law. Either way, they need to realize she will be Queen (eventually--I love Sofia).

I, personally can't wait to see this new tiara. What is so wrong about purchasing a new tiara? I think most of the CPss has one. Maybe it's one of the family heirlooms and the public hasn't seen it? A wise thing to do to get out of crisis? Spend your money! At least that works for some countries...

The article says that pearls are the Spanish Queens' gems. Maybe it's tradition? The only "tiara" not made with pearls I can remember are the Niarchos Rubies, and they were a gift from Niarchos to a Greek princess.
The fleur-de-lys tiara by Ansorene, the floral tiara that was a gift from Franco and the Prussian tiara are also without pearls. The SRF has 3 pearl tiaras: the Queen Ena's Cartier tiara Infanta Christina wore at the Swedish wedding, the Mellerio shell tiara which the Queen wore the same day and Queen Maria Christina's Cartier "loop" tiara. That still makes a lot of pearl tiaras. The advantage of pearls is that they are color-neutral! Look a CP Mary's problems to match her dresses with the ruby tiara. There are always some of us posters who are disappointed because the dress doesn't go with the rubies.
So even if the SRF lacks tiaras with colored stones, I think it was wise of Felipe to go for pearls.
I agree that there are not many tiaras in the SRF (at least that's what we know, but I don't suppose they have kept something hidden all these years), so an addition seems ok. Also Felipe might be pragmaticand looking forward and realize that Sofia would need a tiara one day but, being the "spare" , they can't give a royal heirloom to her and watch it disappear from the main collection. So a newly acquired piece is the best solution for the future.
Neither Elena nor Christina got their own "personal" royal tiara. So I don't think that Infanta Sofia will receive her own tiara. Just like her aunts before her she will borrow from the family jewels.
I am always excited when there is a new tiara purchase! I am looking forward to the debut of this new Spanish tiara very much. I do hope it's a bit more substantial than the tiaras purchased for CP Mette-Marit and CP Mary; they are lovely tiaras, but I wouldn't mind something with a little more glamour. I also found it very odd how the tiaras were worn at the Swedish wedding. It struck me as quite odd--but I've heard that there is trouble afoot between Letizia and her sisters in law. Either way, they need to realize she will be Queen (eventually--I love Sofia).
Yes, I also think that the tiara distribution in Sweden was very odd. Maybe it was because Letizia originally had planned to wear her new tiara, and Christina wanted to wear the floral tiara which was her own wedding tiara. And when it was decided that the new tiara would stay hidden, Letizia wanted the floral tiara and Christina got the Cartier tiara instead (because no-one wanted to be stuck with the small Prussian tiara?).
I, personally can't wait to see this new tiara. What is so wrong about purchasing a new tiara? I think most of the CPss has one. Maybe it's one of the family heirlooms and the public hasn't seen it? A wise thing to do to get out of crisis? Spend your money! At least that works for some countries...
No, the new tiara is definitely not a family heirloom. It is known that it is a new piece designed specially for the Asturias by the jewellery house Ansorena.
You are right, those people how still have money need to keep spending or we will never get out of the crisis. But unfortunately a large part of the Spanish population does not see this. They just go on about how their tax money is spent for the Royal's luxuries. Even if this public opinion is rather short sighted, it is wise of the royals to accommodate the mood in the population.
On a personal note: I AM FRUSTRATED!:bang: I desperately want to see this new tiara, but it might be months, or years till it finally is shown off! How am I to bear this?

Neither Elena nor Christina got their own "personal" royal tiara. So I don't think that Infanta Sofia will receive her own tiara. Just like her aunts before her she will borrow from the family jewels.

I know that , but IMO that doesn't mean that we can rule out the possibility of inheriting something at a certain point from their mother's collection ( a piece of the Niarchos rubies each for example). That's why I said that Sofia might get a tiara one day, even as an inheritance. But that of course is a thought about the very distant future

It's really bad that we have to wait until we will see this new tiara. There are currently no State Visits scheduled for this year but as they are only announced very short before i believe that there will be 1 or 2 this autumn. But i don't think that we will see this new tiara then. Most likely she will wait a few years until the cirisis is over. As for the many pearl tiaras it's to bad that Queen Victoria had to sell her emeralds which she interchanged with the pearls in her Cartier tiara. Perhpas the RF should buy a few emeralds or sapphires so that they could interchange it with the pearls in the tiara again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE the rubies--I think they are exquisite. I would hate to see them pass because the Spanish Royal family tiaras are all either diamonds or diamonds and pearls. They need to retain something with some gemstones. And, those rubies would look glorious in Letizia's dark hair.

I LOVE the rubies--I think they are exquisite. I would hate to see them pass because the Spanish Royal family tiaras are all either diamonds or diamonds and pearls. They need to retain something with some gemstones. And, those rubies would look glorious in Letizia's dark hair.
They are nice but as the Queen wears it at the moment (like last year at the State Visit from France) they are simple to small and get lost in the hairdos. In the 70's she wore in a double row as tiara which looked better but i think they should try to create a bigger tiara with some additional diamonds.

The rubies are gorgeous as a necklace, but in my eyes the problem with the ruby tiara is, that they look so much like a necklace put on a frame. And be big velvet base underneath doesn't really help, imo. The double row version is definitely better than the single row, but a completely different design would be needed to turn them into a successful tiara.

The fleur-de-lys tiara by Ansorene, the floral tiara that was a gift from Franco and the Prussian tiara are also without pearls...
You are right, there are very obvious tiaras without pearls, I don't know how I forgot! But the prussian tiara came from Sofía's mother and the floral tiara was a gift,so right now the only tiara the SRF bought that doesn't have pearls is the Fleur de Lys.
Cristina and Elena don't have a tiara from the SRF, and I doubt they'll get one because times are changing(not many people wears them outside royals) and there are very few tiaras left in the SRF, but JC's sisters and aunts all got some (more ones than others) impressive tiaras.
I also want to see the tiara but I'm afraid is going to be years until we see it!:bang:

King Juan Carlos bought back the Cartier loop tiara from Dona Pilar. It would have been easier if Felipe had managed to buy something of royal provenance for Letizia. People would have made less fuss about it, if weren't a new tiara but one with a royal history. But royal tiaras are not always on sale and he wanted something that suited Letizia's style and preferences.

I had heard before that Juan Carlos bought the Loop Tiara from Pilar, but the article that announced Letizia's new tiara stated that it was Pilar's. Have Sofía actually worn it after Juan Carlos bought it? Are we sure he did buy it?

I had heard before that Juan Carlos bought the Loop Tiara from Pilar, but the article that announced Letizia's new tiara stated that it was Pilar's. Have Sofía actually worn it after Juan Carlos bought it? Are we sure he did buy it?

I think the tiara belonged to the Countess of Barcelona until her death and was only loaned from her to Pilar. Probably after her death it was arranged that the tiara would go to Juan Carlos. Sofia wore it the first time at the State Visit to Norway in 2006 and then again 2 times in Spain.
I always hope the will buy the aquamarine Parure back which is with the descendants of Infanta Beatriz. Then they would have a full parure and the aquamarines would match the sahs of the Order of Carlos III.

Last edited:
I unfortunately don't see this happening. I ve read that Beatriz divided the parure between her two daughters, so that would make negotiations more difficult . And Olimpia has has a daughter who , being a Princess to a ruling family , will have good use for it, so it's not as if there is no one who can afford inheriting her part.

On a personal note: I AM FRUSTRATED!:bang: I desperately want to see this new tiara, but it might be months, or years till it finally is shown off! How am I to bear this?

I know! :ROFLMAO: I'm anxious to see the new tiara too! I like it when princes give tiaras to their princesses. It's so royal! I'm also excited to hear the name of the tiara. Do they have an "Asturian tiara"? :D

I think the tiara belonged to the Countess of Barcelona until her death and was only loaned from her to Pilar. Probably after her death it was arranged that the tiara would go to Juan Carlos. Sofia wore it the first time at the State Visit to Norway in 2006 and then again 2 times in Spain.
Didn't Sofia wear the tiara for the first time at the Persepolis celebrations of I am confusing it with another piece?

Didn't Sofia wear the tiara for the first time at the Persepolis celebrations of I am confusing it with another piece?

Yes ofcourse. I meant after the death of the Countess of Barcelona.

I always hope the will buy the aquamarine Parure back which is with the descendants of Infanta Beatriz. Then they would have a full parure and the aquamarines would match the sahs of the Order of Carlos III.

The aquamarine Parure would be a wonderful addition to the Spanish Jewels .

Is there a thread on the jewels/tiaras of the Infanta's Pilar/Margarita ?

I think the rubies are magnificent! I just wish some of the bases on the tiaras were lower so you would not see them so clearly...it looks tacky...IMO. It must have been hard for Queen Ena. She had to not only sell jewels, but divide some up between here daughters, make sure her daughter-in-law, the Countess of Barcelona, had some, and then decide which to leave Sophia in her will knowing she would one day be Queen.\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom