The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

As a public person, its kind of a statement to suddenly stop wearing a wedding ring after 8 years of marriage. There must be a reason behind it to do so because it will start the rumor mill going in every direction (see on this board over the time: skin condition, weight issue = ring too loose, marriage trouble, ring paid with Inaki's dirty money etc).

Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^Agreed, it's odd to see a married person suddenly sans wedding ring after years of wearing one. Maybe there's a perfectly logical reason for it, though. Eh, I guess I'll wait for that rumor mill to start grinding.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia
There may be a lot of reasons why Letizia stopped wearing her wedding ring, including a skin condition. Or maybe she just doesn't want to. Prince William doesn't wear his wedding ring either (although Kate does); it can sometimes be a matter of simple personal preference.
I am married 15 years and often don't wear my ring(s)... Just depends on the mood, my day, how hurried I am when I dress...
Old 01-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Ah, then she is a person I would really enjoy meeting!
Me too! And these days she certainly needs that sense of humor ....

I often don't wear my rings either after many years of marriage. I'm just not a ring person. It's rank speculation as to why Leti's not wearing her rings, but I do agree that a person in her position taking off her rings, esp. at a time like this, esp. if she was in the habit of wearing them all of these years, is going to cause a stir, like it or not.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Me too! And these days she certainly needs that sense of humor ....

I often don't wear my rings either after many years of marriage. I'm just not a ring person. It's rank speculation as to why Leti's not wearing her rings, but I do agree that a person in her position taking off her rings, esp. at a time like this, esp. if she was in the habit of wearing them all of these years, is going to cause a stir, like it or not.
She isn't like you or me or any other person though She's the crown princess, and it's silly to think people won't wonder why she's stopped wearing her wedding ring.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post
She isn't like you or me or any other person though She's the crown princess, and it's silly to think people won't wonder why she's stopped wearing her wedding ring.
I agree with you - and with her intelligence and background in journalism she knows that taking that ring off without explanation is a statement. She's also not going to purposefully draw even more gossip towards the House of Bourbon.

BTW, how long has she been sans ring?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post
Exactly my thoughts Emmily,perhaps there is an innocent reason behind it but it is a little odd!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Just because she is Princess of Asturias does that mean she has to announce why she does or does not wear a piece of jewellery? Does anyone outside of these forums or perhaps a Spanish gossip columnist care about such things....you know, people living their own lives in the real world?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

But this is why we come to the Royal Forums since our focus is on all things royal and we like to chat about them. And while people in the "real world" may not care about such matters, this is what we here like to discuss since we have such an interest and trod these threads while living our own lives. The Princess certainly doesn't have to issue any announcement about why she isn't wearing an item of jewelry she's worn since her wedding day, and no one expects her to, but that won't stop us royal watchers from comment and speculation.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Just because she is Princess of Asturias does that mean she has to announce why she does or does not wear a piece of jewellery? Does anyone outside of these forums or perhaps a Spanish gossip columnist care about such things....you know, people living their own lives in the real world?
Who's asking for an announcement?

This is a thread on Letizia's jewels,everyone is free to make a comment on her jewels or lack of them if they wish and for those who don't care they can move right on.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, but people are going beyond commenting on what she is or is not wearing, and coming up with theories/suggestions/innuendo more appropriate for a gossip column.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Heir Apparent

OK, human nature being what it is, we see a woman who has always worn her wedding ring sudden cease to do so . . . just like that. On a jewellery thread people are going to speculate as to why.

a. Firstly perhaps she has a skin rash, it happens to lots of women. A little soap or such gets under the ring and bingo, it itches and flakes. But too much time has passed, there is no rash and there is no ring,

b. It is now too big or small and needs resizing. Again, too much time has passed and there is no ring.

c. Scandal surrounding the initial purchase of it erupts and out of embarrassment or anger or just to take the heat off, she stops wearing it. Perhaps.

All of the above are possibilities but one thing sticks in our minds and photos . . . Letizia always wore her wedding ring and now she does not. And, it has not been replaced by any other ring.

So there you have it. Mystery just made for the conspiracy theorists among us because we keep looking at her jewellery or lack thereof.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

c. Scandal surrounding the initial purchase of it erupts and out of embarrassment or anger or just to take the heat off, she stops wearing it. Perhaps.
I wouldn't call a scandal the purchase of the ring. It seems that aside from monarchist's forums and a few gossipy magazines in Spain, Letizia's rings aren't the focus of public speculation. I think a combo of:

1. Public knowledge that Letizia is not terribly fond of jewellery
2. Public knowledge that the rings were picked up and paid by Urdangarin to prevent speculation prior to the engagement.
3. Letizia from time to time has taken off her rings as her fingers became sore after dozens of handshakes.

....has given Letizia the opportunity to quietly store them away, at a time when royals' austerity in Spain is more than ever scrutinised.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Good points, but as to "not being terribly fond of jewellery . . ." I think the decision to go "ring free" would have emerged intermittently over the preceding eight years.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 AM
Nobility

It did Marg. Letizia has always, and from time to time, taken off her rings. The difference this time is that the rings have stayed off.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Yes, but people are going beyond commenting on what she is or is not wearing, and coming up with theories/suggestions/innuendo more appropriate for a gossip column.
And those post which follow that path will be dealt with by a moderator,so long as posters remain on topic and don't start speculating we have no issue.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Letizia with nice small earrings today at the opening of ARCO 2013
http://images.mujerdeelite.com/galer...5_nt_xxl_2.jpg
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/P...m2fsrb17px.jpg
Old 02-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Are they new?

I wonder if the brooch is part of the outfit or a new piece?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Are these different from the star shaped earrings she wears most of the time?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Meh to those tiny earrings that you need a magnifying glass to see. I like that fun, fab brooch much better! That's really nice and goes so well with her dress.

Tags
jewellery, letizia, princess letizia, princess of asturias, spain