The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Is there a thread on the jewels/tiaras of the Infanta's Pilar/Margarita ?
You can try the Jewels worn by members of the Spanish Royal Family thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
The rubies are gorgeous as a necklace, but in my eyes the problem with the ruby tiara is, that they look so much like a necklace put on a frame. And be big velvet base underneath doesn't really help, imo. The double row version is definitely better than the single row, but a completely different design would be needed to turn them into a successful tiara.
could somebody please post a picture of Queen Sofia with the rubies as tiara?
Thank you.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:12 AM
Administrator

Why not have a look at the Queen Sofia Jewellery thread? I'd suggest page 1.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Nobility

Thank you Warren. I spent some time on this beautiful thread - really nice.
Hm - now after reading a lot about the jewelry of the SRF, I am longing to see the new tiara, Felipe gave to Letizia.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

Thanks for the link but there was very little information on the jewels of either of the Kings sisters .
Old 09-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Royal Highness

On some Spanish forums there is more talk about the new tiara. The journalist Maria Angeles Alcazar obviously has talked about it on a Spanish TV programme. She said the new tiara was made out of old pieces of Queen Federica and other family jewellery which was rarely used. Ansorena's jewellers and Prince Felipe designed them into a piece that would suit Letizia's personality and taste.
I find this more and more intriguing. The first article about the new tiara definitely sounded as if it was a completely new piece. Now I wonder how much of the old settings was kept in the new tiara, or if they completely broke up the old things and only re-used the pearls and diamonds. It would be difficult anyway. If the diamonds are from different jewellery pieces, the size, cut, quality and even colour might vary.
What I also read on the same forum is, that the SRF are cutting back on state occasions because of the crisis. It really might take some time till we finally see the "Letizia Mystery Tiara". Too bad!
Old 09-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Courtier

That bit about Frederika's old pieces sounds worrisome.You know, since I read that Anne Marie said that the big diamond tiara was still in the family and since it was not used by Tatiana as I expected , I was wondering that maybe Sophie inhetired but never used it because she found it too large for her taste. If that is the case, I hope she has not dismantled that piece to make a new tiara for Letizia - that would be a shame IMO
Old 09-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Royal Highness

You scare me! The fate of that diamond tiara indeed is a mystery which I would like to be solved (without having to learn that is was broken up). But I just can't imagine that Queen Sofia would allow to break up on of the most important jewels of her mother. Besides there are no pearls in that tiara. Hopefully they took some less important jewellery.
I don't know enough about Queen Frederika's jewellery. Maybe there is a long un-seen corsage brooch? A corsage wouldn't be use much these days and it would be big enough to provide for a small new tiara.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Courtier

Well, there is a convertible diamond and pearl tiara/ necklace, (currents whereabouts unknown) that Frederika wore as a necklace and Irene as a tiara. But I always assumed that Irene inherited that piece along with the circle tiara. And also a diamond necklace that she wore for her first official portraits and at her wedding. She never wore it after Paul ascended to the throne I believe. Maybe that necklace is the "old piece" they are reffering to? Here is a pic of the necklace http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._of_Greece.jpg
Old 09-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Royal Highness

What a crime, if they really took these apart! Especially the pearl necklace/tiara makes too nice a tiara to change it. And if it is still in the family, I don't understand why it was never used.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
What a crime, if they really took these apart! Especially the pearl necklace/tiara makes too nice a tiara to change it. And if it is still in the family, I don't understand why it was never used.
Perhaps it's still in Irene's posession. As she never attends white tie events it would explain why it never worn.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Courtier

It is a fact that Princess Irene doesn't attend banquets nowadays and she could have hidden the tiara in a box deciding to will it out to a nephew or niece. It is also possible though that she sold it privately years ago, to raise money for her charities - these where my two guesses. However , after reading Tilia C.'s post I started thinking again, because there is a mention about old pieces from Queen Frederica. I have been looking lately in old photos to found out more of her jewellery and I notice that only a few pieces are not currently used by her children and grandchildren and I don't know what happened to them : the large Prussian tiara, the convertible pearl necklace , a large ruby brooch that belonged to her mother-in-law, the diamond necklace I mentioned above, some long pearl necklaces and few diamond brooches and earrings. I have no idea which of these pieces could be hiding in Sofia's collection without been seen all these years. But Irene perhaps owned a pearl tiara and given she might use some extra cash (given her charity works or her cancer treatment) she might have asked her sister to buy the tiara. Letizia could have found it unflattering or out of style (I always thought it was too pointy) , so they dismantled in, along with some diamond pieces belonging to Queen Frederica / Queen Ena / the Countess of Barcelona to get some diamonds and make a tiara that "would fit Letizia's personality and taste" .
And now I guess I should stop guessing before confusing everyone else in the forum with my theories.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Royal Highness

I like to read your theories, snowflower! But my own theory is that Queen Sophia would never dismantle such important historic jewels as the grand diamond tiara or the pearl tiara/necklace, even if she had them in her possession. She is too conscious about keeping her royal heritage, imo. Also it wouldnt make much sense to dismantle a tiara in order to create a new tiara (QEII has done so, but not successfully!!). My reason for thinking about a corsage was that they are hardly ever worn anymore, so no-one would really miss it. But when looking at pictures of Queen Frederica, I only noticed the corsage brooch from the emerald parure, which is still worn by Queen Anne-Marie. The new tiara might also be made up of smaller jewels like brooches or bracelets. I assume that a Queen like Frederica had jewels in her possession, some of which she might never have worn when being photographed.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

I like the idea if Letizias new tiara consists of recycled pieces from Sofias family, much better than a new tiara without any history.
Looking forward to seeing it but I dont think that its the right time now.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Nobility

Just one thought - I would expect the GRF to have sold some of the less important jewelry for making some living during their exile - don't you thinkg so? King Konstantine said during the interview that the first years of the exile (Rome...) have been difficult in financial terms..
Old 09-23-2010, 05:46 AM
Courtier

Hmmm, but then we should have heard about this Royal Jewels Sale.... every major auction house would have advertized with this royal past, as this guarantees a higher final price. And normally one "impressing" piece must be included (such as a tiara) to even increase raising the interest.

The only other option could be, that rich Greek Royalists offered them some financial support in the beginning and therefor received some of the lesser valuable pieces as a "thank you" reimbursement.
BYe Bine

Nevertheless I just cant wait to see her with her new Tiara -- and I hope this will happen soon.... now, as the information is spread already, she well may wear it.....
Bye Bine
Old 09-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post

Hmmm, but then we should have heard about this Royal Jewels Sale.... every major auction house would have advertized with this royal past, as this guarantees a higher final price. And normally one "impressing" piece must be included (such as a tiara) to even increase raising the interest.
The auction is not that recent, it happened in the 70s a little after the referendum if I remeber correctly and it included one pretty impressing piece - Queen Marie of Romania's large sapphire and also a fine riviere necklace (that was an inheritance by Empress Frederick I believe), so a tiara was not perhaps neede to attract attention. However I would like to find out about the full list of items included in the catalogue.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
Nevertheless I just cant wait to see her with her new Tiara -- and I hope this will happen soon.... now, as the information is spread already, she well may wear it.....
Bye Bine
I hope that too ! Since the story is linked why should she not wear it not, even with the recession? People now know she has it so she might as well do as a favour and wear ti to admire it .
Old 09-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Thanks for the link but there was very little information on the jewels of either of the Kings sisters .
I saw today in another forum some pictures of Pilar and Margarita wearing tiaras. I'll post them in the other thread.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Letizia new tiara. According to Hola, it is a new tiara and an idea of Ansorena. Neither idea of the Prince, nor ancient jewels.

Foro Hispanico de Opiniones sobre la Realeza: La nueva tiara de Doa Letizia (hola)

Tags
jewellery, letizia, princess letizia, princess of asturias, spain