The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Courtier

I, personally can't wait to see this new tiara. What is so wrong about purchasing a new tiara? I think most of the CPss has one. Maybe it's one of the family heirlooms and the public hasn't seen it? A wise thing to do to get out of crisis? Spend your money! At least that works for some countries...

Old 09-05-2010, 05:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post
The article says that pearls are the Spanish Queens' gems. Maybe it's tradition? The only "tiara" not made with pearls I can remember are the Niarchos Rubies, and they were a gift from Niarchos to a Greek princess.
The fleur-de-lys tiara by Ansorene, the floral tiara that was a gift from Franco and the Prussian tiara are also without pearls. The SRF has 3 pearl tiaras: the Queen Ena's Cartier tiara Infanta Christina wore at the Swedish wedding, the Mellerio shell tiara which the Queen wore the same day and Queen Maria Christina's Cartier "loop" tiara. That still makes a lot of pearl tiaras. The advantage of pearls is that they are color-neutral! Look a CP Mary's problems to match her dresses with the ruby tiara. There are always some of us posters who are disappointed because the dress doesn't go with the rubies.
So even if the SRF lacks tiaras with colored stones, I think it was wise of Felipe to go for pearls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflower View Post
I agree that there are not many tiaras in the SRF (at least that's what we know, but I don't suppose they have kept something hidden all these years), so an addition seems ok. Also Felipe might be pragmaticand looking forward and realize that Sofia would need a tiara one day but, being the "spare" , they can't give a royal heirloom to her and watch it disappear from the main collection. So a newly acquired piece is the best solution for the future.
Neither Elena nor Christina got their own "personal" royal tiara. So I don't think that Infanta Sofia will receive her own tiara. Just like her aunts before her she will borrow from the family jewels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I am always excited when there is a new tiara purchase! I am looking forward to the debut of this new Spanish tiara very much. I do hope it's a bit more substantial than the tiaras purchased for CP Mette-Marit and CP Mary; they are lovely tiaras, but I wouldn't mind something with a little more glamour. I also found it very odd how the tiaras were worn at the Swedish wedding. It struck me as quite odd--but I've heard that there is trouble afoot between Letizia and her sisters in law. Either way, they need to realize she will be Queen (eventually--I love Sofia).
Yes, I also think that the tiara distribution in Sweden was very odd. Maybe it was because Letizia originally had planned to wear her new tiara, and Christina wanted to wear the floral tiara which was her own wedding tiara. And when it was decided that the new tiara would stay hidden, Letizia wanted the floral tiara and Christina got the Cartier tiara instead (because no-one wanted to be stuck with the small Prussian tiara?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria View Post
I, personally can't wait to see this new tiara. What is so wrong about purchasing a new tiara? I think most of the CPss has one. Maybe it's one of the family heirlooms and the public hasn't seen it? A wise thing to do to get out of crisis? Spend your money! At least that works for some countries...
No, the new tiara is definitely not a family heirloom. It is known that it is a new piece designed specially for the Asturias by the jewellery house Ansorena.
You are right, those people how still have money need to keep spending or we will never get out of the crisis. But unfortunately a large part of the Spanish population does not see this. They just go on about how their tax money is spent for the Royal's luxuries. Even if this public opinion is rather short sighted, it is wise of the royals to accommodate the mood in the population.
On a personal note: I AM FRUSTRATED! I desperately want to see this new tiara, but it might be months, or years till it finally is shown off! How am I to bear this?

Old 09-05-2010, 05:29 AM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Tilia C.;1133421]

Neither Elena nor Christina got their own "personal" royal tiara. So I don't think that Infanta Sofia will receive her own tiara. Just like her aunts before her she will borrow from the family jewels.

I know that , but IMO that doesn't mean that we can rule out the possibility of inheriting something at a certain point from their mother's collection ( a piece of the Niarchos rubies each for example). That's why I said that Sofia might get a tiara one day, even as an inheritance. But that of course is a thought about the very distant future
Old 09-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

It's really bad that we have to wait until we will see this new tiara. There are currently no State Visits scheduled for this year but as they are only announced very short before i believe that there will be 1 or 2 this autumn. But i don't think that we will see this new tiara then. Most likely she will wait a few years until the cirisis is over. As for the many pearl tiaras it's to bad that Queen Victoria had to sell her emeralds which she interchanged with the pearls in her Cartier tiara. Perhpas the RF should buy a few emeralds or sapphires so that they could interchange it with the pearls in the tiara again.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Majesty

here are photos of a few times letizia wearing tiaras
Imageshack - letiziatiaras.jpg
Imageshack - letiziatiaras.jpg
Old 09-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Royal Highness

I LOVE the rubies--I think they are exquisite. I would hate to see them pass because the Spanish Royal family tiaras are all either diamonds or diamonds and pearls. They need to retain something with some gemstones. And, those rubies would look glorious in Letizia's dark hair.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I LOVE the rubies--I think they are exquisite. I would hate to see them pass because the Spanish Royal family tiaras are all either diamonds or diamonds and pearls. They need to retain something with some gemstones. And, those rubies would look glorious in Letizia's dark hair.
They are nice but as the Queen wears it at the moment (like last year at the State Visit from France) they are simple to small and get lost in the hairdos. In the 70's she wore in a double row as tiara which looked better but i think they should try to create a bigger tiara with some additional diamonds.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Royal Highness

The rubies are gorgeous as a necklace, but in my eyes the problem with the ruby tiara is, that they look so much like a necklace put on a frame. And be big velvet base underneath doesn't really help, imo. The double row version is definitely better than the single row, but a completely different design would be needed to turn them into a successful tiara.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
The fleur-de-lys tiara by Ansorene, the floral tiara that was a gift from Franco and the Prussian tiara are also without pearls...
You are right, there are very obvious tiaras without pearls, I don't know how I forgot! But the prussian tiara came from Sofía's mother and the floral tiara was a gift,so right now the only tiara the SRF bought that doesn't have pearls is the Fleur de Lys.
Cristina and Elena don't have a tiara from the SRF, and I doubt they'll get one because times are changing(not many people wears them outside royals) and there are very few tiaras left in the SRF, but JC's sisters and aunts all got some (more ones than others) impressive tiaras.
I also want to see the tiara but I'm afraid is going to be years until we see it!
Old 09-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Royal Highness

King Juan Carlos bought back the Cartier loop tiara from Dona Pilar. It would have been easier if Felipe had managed to buy something of royal provenance for Letizia. People would have made less fuss about it, if weren't a new tiara but one with a royal history. But royal tiaras are not always on sale and he wanted something that suited Letizia's style and preferences.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Aristocracy

I had heard before that Juan Carlos bought the Loop Tiara from Pilar, but the article that announced Letizia's new tiara stated that it was Pilar's. Have Sofía actually worn it after Juan Carlos bought it? Are we sure he did buy it?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post
I had heard before that Juan Carlos bought the Loop Tiara from Pilar, but the article that announced Letizia's new tiara stated that it was Pilar's. Have Sofía actually worn it after Juan Carlos bought it? Are we sure he did buy it?
I think the tiara belonged to the Countess of Barcelona until her death and was only loaned from her to Pilar. Probably after her death it was arranged that the tiara would go to Juan Carlos. Sofia wore it the first time at the State Visit to Norway in 2006 and then again 2 times in Spain.
I always hope the will buy the aquamarine Parure back which is with the descendants of Infanta Beatriz. Then they would have a full parure and the aquamarines would match the sahs of the Order of Carlos III.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-06-2010, 04:30 AM
Courtier

I unfortunately don't see this happening. I ve read that Beatriz divided the parure between her two daughters, so that would make negotiations more difficult . And Olimpia has has a daughter who , being a Princess to a ruling family , will have good use for it, so it's not as if there is no one who can afford inheriting her part.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
On a personal note: I AM FRUSTRATED! I desperately want to see this new tiara, but it might be months, or years till it finally is shown off! How am I to bear this?
I know! I'm anxious to see the new tiara too! I like it when princes give tiaras to their princesses. It's so royal! I'm also excited to hear the name of the tiara. Do they have an "Asturian tiara"?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I think the tiara belonged to the Countess of Barcelona until her death and was only loaned from her to Pilar. Probably after her death it was arranged that the tiara would go to Juan Carlos. Sofia wore it the first time at the State Visit to Norway in 2006 and then again 2 times in Spain.
Didn't Sofia wear the tiara for the first time at the Persepolis celebrations of I am confusing it with another piece?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Administrator

-> Queen Fabiola and Queen Sophia, Persepolis 1971
Old 09-08-2010, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflower View Post
Didn't Sofia wear the tiara for the first time at the Persepolis celebrations of I am confusing it with another piece?
Yes ofcourse. I meant after the death of the Countess of Barcelona.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I always hope the will buy the aquamarine Parure back which is with the descendants of Infanta Beatriz. Then they would have a full parure and the aquamarines would match the sahs of the Order of Carlos III.
The aquamarine Parure would be a wonderful addition to the Spanish Jewels .

Is there a thread on the jewels/tiaras of the Infanta's Pilar/Margarita ?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Royal Highness

I think the rubies are magnificent! I just wish some of the bases on the tiaras were lower so you would not see them so clearly...it looks tacky...IMO. It must have been hard for Queen Ena. She had to not only sell jewels, but divide some up between here daughters, make sure her daughter-in-law, the Countess of Barcelona, had some, and then decide which to leave Sophia in her will knowing she would one day be Queen.\
Old 09-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Closeup of Letizia's necklace today visiting a radio station in Madrid
Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia Visit Onda Cero Radio - Pictures - Zimbio

Closed Thread

Tags
jewellery, letizia, princess letizia, princess of asturias, spain