The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Nobility

Kent Jewels

I like the Kent diamond fringe tiara. I think fringe tiara's in general, including the George III tiara which the Queen and Princess Anne both wore on their wedding days and which is practically identical to this one, are very beautiful. The Kent tiara is quite romantic as it seems to have been adopted as the family's wedding tiara. After Princess Marina was given it as a wedding present and wore it on her wedding day in 1934 her daughter Alexandra wore it to her wedding in 1963 and her daughter-in-law Princess Michael, it's present owner, wore it to her wedding reception in 1978. Although Lady Helen Windsor wore the tiara her mother the Duchess of Kent wore on her wedding day (which was a gift from the Duchess' parents) I believe that Princess Michael's daughter, Lady Gabriella Windsor, will choose this tiara when she marries.

Old 05-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Nobility

Kent Jewels

Princess Alexandra wearing her copy of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee necklace. Queen Elizabeth wears the original which has a crown above the central diamond and pearl cluster.

Old 05-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Nobility

http://pro.corbis.com/images/0000312...-e322af09f90e}

The Duchess of Kent in her Pearl and Diamond fringe tiara, which was a wedding gift from her parents, pearl and diamond drop earrings, choker and bracelet.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Nobility

The Duchess in the famous Cambridge Sapphires inherited from Queen Mary.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Serene Highness

Such a shame that the Duchess sold the original tiara, it was much more impressive than the insignificant one she had made from parts of the original necklace.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:14 PM
Courtier

why did she sold it?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Serene Highness

These are beautiful pics, I haven't seen any of them.
Thanks
Old 06-02-2005, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Duchess of Kent

Here are a couple of tiara pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kent Fringe Tiara.JPG
Views:	3976
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	153362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Duchess of Kent.jpg
Views:	2014
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	153363  
Old 06-02-2005, 04:14 AM
Administrator

Princess Michael Tiara

And here is Princess Michael of Kent...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kent London Fringe Tiara.JPG
Views:	1712
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	153364  
Old 06-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza
why did she sold it?
I did hear that they had money problems but, then again, maybe the original tiara was a little Grand for her tastes.

The sale of such historical pieces still makes me wish that HM would set up some sort of family foundation to protect the jewels.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Serene Highness

I love fringe tiaras, too. They are so elegant, regal yet simple at the same time. What it is intersting about the Kent fringe tiara and sets it apart from other tiaras made in the kokoshnik style is that this one does not dismantle to become a necklace. (source: Tiaras: A History of Splendor by Geoffrey Munn).
Old 06-19-2005, 11:56 PM
Nobility

Princess Michael wearing the Cartier "Cherries" brooch given to her by the Duchess of Windsor as a wedding gift whilst the Princess honeymooned in Paris with her husband in July 1978.The brooch compromises numerous cabochon rubies; uncut emeralds and brilliant diamonds and was worn by the Duchess of Windsor in the 1950's and 60's as a pendant on a large gold chain. Princess Michael recieved other pieces from the Duchess on the same visit including huge cabochon emerald earrings (below) due to the close relationship Prince Michael established with the Windsors in the 1960's.

Princess Michael in her pearl and diamond festoon tiara and a necklace and earrings made of pink cameos and diamonds.
Princess Michael in large yellow and white diamond earrings and matching diamond brooch will yellow diamond centre stone.
Princess Michael in necklace and earrings of seed pearls, diamonds and aquamarines.
Princess Michael in large pearl drop and diamond earrings and pearl choker with diamond and pearl cluster centre.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Royal Highness

Are all pss Michael's Jewellery real? Did she inherit it from Princess Marina, or are they newly bought?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think a lot of Princess Michael's jewelry belonged to Princess Marina. Princess Michael is pretty good at wearing the pieces in an unusual way or combining them with other things.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
http://pro.corbis.com/images/0000312...-60110ee508c8}Princess Michael in large yellow and white diamond earrings and matching diamond brooch will yellow diamond centre stone.
Those are citrines, not yellow diamonds....LOL! If Princess Michael had diamonds that big, she could retire forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
Are all pss Michael's Jewellery real? Did she inherit it from Princess Marina, or are they newly bought?
She has number of beautiful and valuable jewels that belonged to Princess Marina and the Duchess of Windsor. However, she also has many less expensive pieces which she designed herself using semi-precious stones and materials. Princess Michael is known to be very creative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
I did hear that they had money problems but, then again, maybe the original tiara was a little Grand for her tastes.
The sale of such historical pieces still makes me wish that HM would set up some sort of family foundation to protect the jewels.
All of the pieces sold were first offered to the Queen in case she wished to retain them for the royal collection. She declined and they were disposed of.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Some of Princess Michael's i have just found:
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 10-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
All of the pieces sold were first offered to the Queen in case she wished to retain them for the royal collection. She declined and they were disposed of.
if HM wants to keep them, does she have to pay for them?

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 10-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Royal Highness

I should think so, these jewels were a present from Queen mary, to Princess Marina, who gave\inherited them to the present Duchess/Princess Michael.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Nobility

http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-1592...-0d5d53e2e699}

Wearing the huge diamond, emerald and sapphire brooch from Cartier which was a gift to Princess Marina from her husband to mark Prince Michael's christening, October 23rd 2005.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
Some of Princess Michael's i have just found:
I had to reply to this post as the lady in white and black is a very famous American socialite Nan Kempner who passed away sadly earlier this year. I remember reading so many fun stories about her....she was very open and straight forward and a real lady....a good match in a friend for Princess Michael..

Tags
jewellery, kent