The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #241  
Old 11-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,884
Is Princess Michael the only person, who sold the family jewels to pay for expenses and wears the costume ones? What were the reasons for not sending another better couple to represent the British Royal family?
Given the usual venom and sneer, it would be better for the couple to abstain from making any solo appearances on behalf of the British royal family.
__________________

__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 11-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 643


Please could I help with a little bit of information, people - [minor] royals or non-royals - are never sent 'to represent royalty generally, but instead represent specific members of the British Royal Family.

In the present case, I do not think that Prince and Princess Michael of Kent were there in a representative capacity or as invited guests in their own right. I rather get the impression that they were there in their own right as invited guests - as borne out by the Court Circular entry.

As for costume jewellery: nothing wrong with it per se, although I do think that PMK's necklace looked a bit Over the Top and therefore unreal and I also think for this reason it was perhaps a little bit unsuitable to be worn in the way it was for such an occasion. Which is of course ONLY my opinion.

Alex
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 11-28-2011, 06:29 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,025
Let's see, the pearls appear to be about 20mm. For a SINGLE white, perfect pearl of that size, one would have to shell out somewhere around USD10,000. To my eye, the bow brooches don't look real.

Had the piece(s) been smaller, the effect would have been very pretty --- real or not.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 11-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 788
SOoooo, sue me. I thought she looked very nice. Now, if she had been "dripping diamonds" I might have a question/quarrel, but since that is not the case, I will just say that I think she looked very nice. After all, how many of us are able to flash family jewels of great import?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 11-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: philadelphia, United States
Posts: 727
I read somewhere that their jewels were in some kind of trust and therefore couldn't be sold...I am not sure,but I think Prince Michael stated this...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
The most valuable jewels would be the pieces Princess Michael received from The Duchess of Windsor as wedding gifts. If she really needed money, that's what she would sell-off as the Windsor jewels command quite a premium price at auctions.

The royal pieces belong to The Duke of Kent, who inherited all of his mother's jewels as the eldest son, with the exception of the pieces left to Princess Alexandra. They are merely loans to Princess Michael and can never be sold without The Duke's permission.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,260
^^^^
Where did you get that idea?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 11-29-2011, 02:05 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: philadelphia, United States
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I remember the accusation of Princess Michael's jewels being paste appeared only once in the book "Theirs is the Kingdom" in 1987 and was shot down in flames by the Kent's themselves who angrily put out a statement saying that all the jewels belonging to Prince Michael are in trust for his children so the Princess couldn't sell them even if she wanted to as they are, officially, not her property to dispense with.
I knew I read somewhere this story about the trust and Michael Kent jewels...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 11-29-2011, 04:24 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bath, United Kingdom
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
The most valuable jewels would be the pieces Princess Michael received from The Duchess of Windsor as wedding gifts. If she really needed money, that's what she would sell-off as the Windsor jewels command quite a premium price at auctions.

The royal pieces belong to The Duke of Kent, who inherited all of his mother's jewels as the eldest son, with the exception of the pieces left to Princess Alexandra. They are merely loans to Princess Michael and can never be sold without The Duke's permission.
In fact the jewels along with other items were left to Prince Michael by his Mother, Princess Marina, just as she did to each of her three children. The jewellery is however held in trust for the children - Lord Frederick & Lady Gabriella, the ownership does lie with Prince Michael.
In the recent sale of Kent belongings the jewels given to Princess Michael by the Duchess of Windsor were not sold. The most valuable jewels came from Princess Marina.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 11-29-2011, 07:20 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Its not often that M-C gets to host an event related to a State visit, so I guess this is her opportunity to play the part. She also does not have any royal orders, so she does have to find her own baubles to play dressing up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Please could I help with a little information?

The Banquet was in fact NOT hosted by Princess Michael of Kent. It was hosted by the Lord Mayor and took place at the Guildhall in the City of London.
You are quite right, the banquet is hosted by the Lord mayor. What I meant to say (and clearly did not word accurately) is that not often does M-C get the opportunity to be the senior most royal at an event associated with the state visit.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Is Princess Michael the only person, who sold the family jewels to pay for expenses and wears the costume ones? What were the reasons for not sending another better couple to represent the British Royal family?
Given the usual venom and sneer, it would be better for the couple to abstain from making any solo appearances on behalf of the British royal family.
I actually thought M-C looked very grand, said in the nicest possible way. I think it is wonderful how creative she is with her jewels (eg, the necklace she put together for the wedding of Freddie and Sophie), andd this was just another example.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 AM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,442
It is easy to forget that Prince Michaels' maternal grandmother was a russian Grand Duchess. The pearl necklace may well have come from that quarter. GD Helen sold the most valuable item of her jewels, the GD Vladimir Tiara, to Queen Mary but she may well have been able to keep some serious pearls that passed to her youngest daughter, Princess Marina.
__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: here and there, Greece
Posts: 535
GD Helen had a quite valuable collection of jewelleryand she had been photographed or portraited (?) wearing most of her collection but never this piece, so it don't think it came from her. Besides, she made really valuable gifts to her eldest daughters upon their marriage ( Olga got two tiaras from her and Elisabeth her mother's fringe , and perhaps some necklaces) , so there weren't much grand pieces left in her casette when Marina's turn came who "only" got the girandole earrings, the large bow brooch and the pearl headband (the pains of being youngest daughter ). Plus, I don't think that Marina was ever photogrephes in this piece
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 AM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,442
Yes but would two strands of, granted largeish, pearls have been commented on in the 1930's when every well bred lady had at least two strands of pearls? They may also have come from Queen Mary. In her later years she even softened and gave the Duke of Windsor pearls for his Duchess to wear.
__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 11-29-2011, 10:39 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
It is easy to forget that Prince Michaels' maternal grandmother was a russian Grand Duchess. The pearl necklace may well have come from that quarter. GD Helen sold the most valuable item of her jewels, the GD Vladimir Tiara, to Queen Mary but she may well have been able to keep some serious pearls that passed to her youngest daughter, Princess Marina.
My own view is that M-C put the pearls and brooches together for the evening. They probably were used differently prior to the event, and will probably be used differently going forward.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 11-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bath, United Kingdom
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel

My own view is that M-C put the pearls and brooches together for the evening. They probably were used differently prior to the event, and will probably be used differently going forward.
HRH has worn these pearls in this way many times - in the 1980's she wore them so and has continued to do so .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 11-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
You are quite right, the banquet is hosted by the Lord mayor. What I meant to say (and clearly did not word accurately) is that not often does M-C get the opportunity to be the senior most royal at an event associated with the state visit.

I thought that was what you probably meant, Muriel. Thanks for the clarification

I have to say that I found this Banquet quite interesting. Usually with State Visits, the visiting foreign dignitary attends the State Banquet given in his / her honour by the Queen and then, by custom, s/he then usuallyy hosts a 'return match' either at his own Embassy / High Commission / Ofiicial Residence or, if that is not large enough, at a suitably grand London hotel, often Claridges, which gives another chance to see a large turnout of members of the BRF. This time, we had to be content with the Banquet hosted by the Lord Mayor!

Alex
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 11-30-2011, 05:59 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
I thought that was what you probably meant, Muriel. Thanks for the clarification

I have to say that I found this Banquet quite interesting. Usually with State Visits, the visiting foreign dignitary attends the State Banquet given in his / her honour by the Queen and then, by custom, s/he then usuallyy hosts a 'return match' either at his own Embassy / High Commission / Ofiicial Residence or, if that is not large enough, at a suitably grand London hotel, often Claridges, which gives another chance to see a large turnout of members of the BRF. This time, we had to be content with the Banquet hosted by the Lord Mayor!

Alex
Am I right in thinking that increasingly there are fewer return banquets, and increasingly there are a lot more banquets at the Guildhall hosted by the Lord Mayor, and often have the Gloucesters in attendance?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 AM
wymanda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Am I right in thinking that increasingly there are fewer return banquets, and increasingly there are a lot more banquets at the Guildhall hosted by the Lord Mayor, and often have the Gloucesters in attendance?
While I like the Gloucester couple it is getting very predictable that they are the Royals at the Guildhall banquet. It was really nice to see Prince Michael & Marie-Christine.

Perhaps in the future William & Catherine will take up this role.
__________________
Everything I write here is my opinion and I mean no offence by it.
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 11-30-2011, 12:49 PM
NoorMeansLight's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Did you say note? I think they almost popped out of the photograph and hit me in the eye.

Indeed. But I love the bow brooches so much! She looked splendid IMO.
__________________

__________________
With passion and poetry...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jewellery, kent


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iranian Crown Jewels pdas1201 Official Royal Jewels 101 02-15-2013 06:10 AM
Semi-Precious Royal Jewels reynard Royal Jewels 90 10-26-2011 06:14 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion germany grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess ariane princess astrid princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit stockholm sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]