The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Majesty

The tiara is lovely. The design is clean and unfussy.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The jewels of the Marchioness of Londonderry.

Perlen Diamant Diadem Schmuck| Pearl and Diamond-Tiara| Londonderry Jewels

Old 10-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

According to this blog the Duke of Westminster is selling the Chaumet Westminster Tiara. The current Duke had bought the tiara back into the family a number of years ago after it had been sold off by an ancestor - i wonder why he has decided to see it again? i know they have an extensive collection of tiaras in the westminster family and i guess little opportunity to wear them. shame that this is being sold again though it is a unique tiara

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Jewels of the Day: October 20

Old 10-20-2015, 03:05 PM
Majesty

The price range for the tiara is modest. Hopefully it will fetch more than 500,000 USD.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
According to this blog the Duke of Westminster is selling the Chaumet Westminster Tiara. The current Duke had bought the tiara back into the family a number of years ago after it had been sold off by an ancestor - i wonder why he has decided to see it again? i know they have an extensive collection of tiaras in the westminster family and i guess little opportunity to wear them. shame that this is being sold again though it is a unique tiara

Ive been wondering why they're selling the tiara. It's not like they need the money. If they never use it maybe they could've done like the Londonderry's who have their jewels on show in a London museum (can't remember which).
Old 10-20-2015, 03:19 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Ive been wondering why they're selling the tiara. It's not like they need the money. If they never use it maybe they could've done like the Londonderry's who have their jewels on show in a London museum (can't remember which).
The londonderry tiara is in the V&A

Exactly and i think the have lent it out to be displayed before. Indeed the westminsters remain one of the richest families in the UK - 'Gifting' it to a museum for a collection would have been good so that it can be enjoyed by many

Old 10-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I also wondered about this, since I thought that the family is very rich. Has there ever been a picture published of the enamel kokoshnik being worn?

The family has several tiaras. The last tiara that was seen worn is the myrtle wreath tiara by Fabergé. It was worn as bridal tiaras by the duke's daughter Lady Tamara Grosvenor and by the duke's niece Lady Rosanagh Innes-Ker. They probably also still own the pink spinel tiara, which the duchess wore on her wedding day. Then there is the Fabergé cyclamen tiara, though I don't know if they still have it. And I read that they bought Princess Mary's fringe tiara at auction in 1965.

Quite a choice! But the enamel kokoshnik is so unique and special, it is a pity that it has to go. The design is so exquisite! I hope that it can be secured for some museum or exhibition, so that is does not appear into some anonymous vault.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

As has been stated, its not for the money. The Duke of Westminster is worth around £7 billion. Doesn't make sense to sell it. Obviously the Duke has his reasons.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

About the tiara worn by the Marchioness of Cholmondoley at the State Banquert for the President of China.
Ancaster Heathcote Diamond Spray Tiara | Jewelry Jewel History | Willoughby d'Eresby | Marchioness of Cholmondeley
Old 10-23-2015, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Baroness Willoughby and Rose Astor certainly wear the same tiara. The look is identical and the family relation is very close. Bu I fear that the connection to the Marchioness of Cholmondeley doesn’t convince me at all.

If my count is correct, the Marquess of Cholmondeley and Baroness Willoughby are 7th cousins, meaning that their family relationship is very, very distant, with a common ancestor in the early 18th century. And the tiara does not even look the same. The author of the site acknowledges that the tiara is ‘a little bit altered’, but from the blurry screen caps I really can’t see how the two floral sprays of the Ancaster tiara could have been rearranged into the tiara of the Marchioness of Cholmondeley. Furthermore it is not at all unlikely that the Cholmondeley’s have their own tiara. And these kind of floral tiara have been very much en vogue, there used to be loads of tiaras in this fashion.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post

I don't like the Chaumet Westminster Tiara but its pre-sale estimate of $380,000-$550,000 is very impressive,I wonder will it sell!
Old 10-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Royal Highness

It's a statement piece, that's for sure. Pair it with the right evening gown and this tiara has every possibility of outshining any other diamond tiara in the room.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:06 AM
Majesty

Saturday Sparkler: The Marlborough Boucheron Tiara | The Court Jeweller

This tiara is stunningly beautiful. One of the most regal I've seen.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

This tiara is beautiful but when I see worn I do not like at all.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Saturday Sparkler: The Marlborough Boucheron Tiara | The Court Jeweller

This tiara is stunningly beautiful. One of the most regal I've seen.
Its very ornate alright,shame it was sold and broken up!
Old 10-31-2015, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Fife Tiara

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 15 Tiaras: #3. The Fife Tiara
Old 11-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Not exactly British nobility but a fascinating tale imo. If there is a more appropriate thread mods please move it.

Quote:
A delicate piece of vintage jewellery, a Cartier diamond tiara, circa 1909, is about to pass out of a Canadian family’s hands for the first time in more than 100 years. Embedded with a history of happiness, having been worn by brides for many generations, it also comes with a tale of great tragedy that would be the beginning of much misfortune for the prestigious family at the start of the First World War.

Sir Hugh Montagu Allan, a prominent Montreal businessman at the turn of the 20th century, commissioned the Cartier diamond tiara for his wife, Lady Marguerite. It goes up for auction at Sotheby’s in Geneva, Switzerland, on Nov. 11 with a reserve price of 295,000-445,000 Swiss francs ($390,000-$588,000)

The tiara was on the doomed Lusitania, a passenger ship from New York, which was torpedoed without warning in May, 1915, by a German U-boat in sight of the Irish coast, with the loss of 1,198 of the 1,989 people on board, including 200 children. The sinking – the ship went down in less than half an hour – breached international laws and is widely seen to have influenced the United States to enter the conflict two years later.
Read more: The tragic tale of a Canadian family, a vintage tiara and the doomed Lusitania - The Globe and Mail
Old 11-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Sotheby's auction remembers a jewel of Canada’s war effort

Sotheby’s auction remembers Lady Allan, a jewel of Canada’s war effort | Montreal Gazette

Tiara Mania: Pearl Meander Tiara
Old 12-19-2015, 02:03 AM
Majesty

Saturday Sparkler: The Portland Sapphire Tiara | The Court Jeweller

A magnificent tiara. It's one of my all time favorites.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Another beautiful tiara with my favourite sapphires, diamonds and pearls. The only thing I do not like as saying the article is its size.

Tags
british, jewellery, nobility