Jewels of the British Nobility 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful, but sure to produce a migrane headache!

A serious tiara...

Wedding of Lady Melissa Percy, daughter of the 12th Duke of Northumberland, to Thomas van Straubenzee, June 2013

v Lady Melissa Percy, Northumberland diamond tiara, June 2013
Thumbnail images have been cropped from larger photographs.

When did the Duke of Northumberland's family acquire the Diamond Tiara?

The Marquess of Lorne had a tiara made by Robert Phillips of London's Cockspur Street. The tiara was a wedding gift for his spouse, Princess Louise. It was in the form of leaves and buds of bog myrtle, the emblem of John, Lord Lorne's Campbell clan.

A famous and not-so-famous tiara from the Earls of Spencer

Does the nobility family of the Sutherlands have a tiara that dates back to a Spencer? There was an article that mentioned a third Spencer tiara. The above tiaras are the only two Spencer tiaras I know of. Both are in Princess Diana's Spencer family. Can someone post a picture of the Sutherland Tiara?

Lady Nancy Astor, Viscountess Astor wearing the Astor Diamond Tiara
The Daily Diadem: Lady Astor's Tiara | The Court Jeweller

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I love that tiara but I think it would do nothing if it were worn by someone. it seems to dazzle alone:flowers:

i have a Question : Each lady of the British High Nobility has his tiara.
Did they have to wear tiaras attending Royal Events of the Past.
The Coronations of Edouard V and George VI were a must to show their Glory.

Yes in the past but these days quite a lot has had to be sold off!

Thanks , my question was for the Past .
The British Nobility was certainly very rich at that time , such huge tiaras ..

One of them was a loan to Lady Churchill and to the Roumanian Crown Princess Wedding whose Mother owns herself a tiara .

Last edited:
I don't like the cross on the necklace its too large and the necklace looks better without it.

The noble ladies had to wear their tiaras when they went to court and they would also wear them to the balls and dinner they organized themselves. And of course the ladies had to don their tiaras for the coronations, one example can be seen here:lol:: http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k628/TiliaCordata/Britain/gb 1937 coronation_zpsxjmrxics.jpg

Here are picturs of Countess Reine Spencer wearing the jewel as a necklace and as a tiara.
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums...t Britain/spencer reine tiara_zps4zkwly9o.jpg
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums...ritain/spencer reine necklace_zpspf3wghla.jpg

I think the tiara is now part of the Albion collection. Imo it looks better as a necklace. And the pearls would look better if they were more 'inserted' into the structure of the jewel instead of standing out. They looks is if they were popped on as an afterthought.

So I am confused... does this mean the Duchesses of Roxburghe will have no tiaras left to wear?

The late Mary, Duchess of Roxburghe was the divorced first wife of the 9th duke. She was an heiress in her own right and the estate they were writing about was inherited from her own family and has no connection with the dukes of Roxburghe.

The current duke of Roxburghe is descended from the 9th duke's 2nd wife and obviously has no right to the inheritance of the first wife. Afaik the family still has a diamond tiara. At least I have seen pics of the daughter in law wearing one at her wedding.

Thank you, Tilla C! That clears up that for me. :)

Mary's tiaras are stunning!

The late Mary, Duchess of Roxburghe was the divorced first wife of the 9th duke. She was an heiress in her own right and the estate they were writing about was inherited from her own family and has no connection with the dukes of Roxburghe.

The current duke of Roxburghe is descended from the 9th duke's 2nd wife and obviously has no right to the inheritance of the first wife. Afaik the family still has a diamond tiara. At least I have seen pics of the daughter in law wearing one at her wedding.

I wonder if this one is still with the family,The Duchess of Roxburghe diamond diadem by Boucheron.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e2/0a/36/e20a367c1eaa603c50a49125773e1c96.jpg

:previous:
Lady Rosanagh Innes-Ker, niece of the Duke of Westminster, also wore the Westminster myrtle leaf tiara at her wedding in 2008.
View image: Lady Rosanagh Innes Ker

Lady Rosangh is the daughter of the Duke of Roxburghe. So does this mean that the Roxburghes don't have a tiara anymore? Strangly the bride of the eldest son of the duke of Roxburghe, Charlotte Aitken, seems to have worn a diamond tiara at her wedding in 2011:
View image: Innes Ker

I guess the name Cartier counts a lot, so the Cartier tiara got the highest bit. But personally I prefer the other diamond tiara. It is much older and decidedly more beautiful imo. It's a pity that there are no pictures of the late Duchess with these baubles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom