The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman View Post
Elspeth, Oh She Who Must Be Obeyed,

Hommage, prostrations and obedience. Incense, flowers and jewels, including th tiara snitched from Imelda the Trash Shoe Marcos, may I kindly ask, with all due reverence and respect, (sotto voce in fear and trembling) WHAT ON EARTH IS THE REMEMBER ME BUTTON????
When you log in, there's a box to type your name, and under it is a box to type your password. Next to the box where you type your name, there's a little box with the message "Remember Me" next to it. You need to click that little box so it shows a tick or whatever.

We have a FAQ about it in our set of FAQs; Warren wrote this one especially for people like you who are having this problem. Here's what it says:

My membership has been approved, but I'm having problems staying logged into the forum. Sometimes I can't log in at all, and sometimes I get logged out after a few minutes and lose the post I was in the middle of writing.

It is important to tick the 'Remember Me' box when logging in to the forum. 'Remember Me' sets the cookies in the computer which identify it to the TRF server, thereby authorising access to the site. This allows you to continue to be attached to the site whenever anything changes while you are logged in. This is especially important for AOL users. AOL utilises a constantly switching IP method of internet connection and navigation, and as soon as an IP switch occurs the website's server detects a changed connection. With cookies set, the server knows who you are and carries on as if nothing had happened. Without the cookies set (that is, no 'remember me' ticked), the server is unable to identify you. At the next mouse click, the login screen appears because the server needs to re-establish authorisation. This situation is common to many websites requiring a login ID and password, and is not TRF related.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:40 PM

What is the tiara called from the Duke of Westminster collection worn by Lady Tamara at her wedding?
Picture posted on Royal Weddings - Lady Tamara Grosvenor and Edward van Cutsem thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Serene Highness

It's the Westminster Myrtle Leaves tiara by Faberge.

Faberge Tiara Myrtenkranz | Myrtle-Leaves and berries as a Diadem Duke of Westminster
Old 09-11-2007, 05:57 AM

Ah, thank you, kimebear! I didn't think of checking that wonderful site.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Serene Highness

Hola has a special on some royal tiaras.
Las diademas que deslumbraron al mundo en diecisiete bodas históricas
Old 09-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Serene Highness

You are welcome CasiraghiTrio! Ursula has done us all such an enormous service with her fantastic site. I could never thank her enough!
Old 09-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
What is the tiara called from the Duke of Westminster collection worn by Lady Tamara at her wedding?
Picture posted on Royal Weddings - Lady Tamara Grosvenor and Edward van Cutsem thread
Wasn't this the wedding where the family insisted that PC and CPB would not be seated together? Leading to the engagement?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Wasn't this the wedding where the family insisted that PC and CPB would not be seated together? Leading to the engagement?
Yep, that was it. There was a major discussion about it in both of these threads:
Royal Weddings - Lady Tamara and Edward van Cutsem - November 2004 and Van Cutsem Family. The discussions at both threads got rather ugly.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Royal Highness

The Westminsters have a really stunning collection of jewels--they have stunning Faberge tiaras (one of my very favorite, the Cylcaman is delicate and substantial all at once) Faberges Gold and diamond Cyclamen Tiara | Duke of Westminster

They have the Chaumet Kokoshnik blue enamel and diamond tiara: Chaumet Platin Kokoshnik mit blauem Email | Duke of Westminster

The StUNNING and IMCOMPARABLE Bagration Parue. I LOVE IT. Bagration Parure - Necklace, Earrings, Comb, Tiara Pink Spinel Diamont Set
The Duke gave this to his bride, the current Duchess of Westminster as a wedding gift. SIGHHHHHHHHHH.

The Arcots Diamond tiara--a little extravagent, but still breathtaking
Das berühmte Westminster-Diadem mit den Arcot Diamanten - Westminster Halo Tiara with the Arcot diamonds
but I think the family sold it--not sure though.

And then, there is THIS THING which I find to be poorly executed and much less spectacular than it could be. Not my favorite piece at all and there have been lively discussions about it in the Worst Royal Jewels Thread:
Westminster-Grosvenor Pearl Drop Tiara | Orientperlen Tropfen aus der Schatzkammer der Herzöge

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-19-2007, 02:21 PM

The Derby Diadem - tiara as worn by Mary, Duchess of Devonshire, first Mistress of the Robes to HM QEII, in 1957 (Majesty magazine, September 2007, Vol.28, No.9). Her husband was the 10th Duke of Devonshire.

There is info. about this diadem at Royal Magazin, here and also here. Both links have good pics and info.

The Devonshire Parure
The sixth duke was also noted for commissioning the Devonshire Parure, a seven-piece set that included a necklace, a diadem [I don't know if the Derby diadem was part of this parure], a tiara and such, opulently pavéd with gems collected by the second duke. He presented this drop-dead ensemble to his niece by marriage to wear to the coronation of Czar Alexander II. A spectacular ensemble, it could weigh you down just by looking at it. SOURCE: The New York Times, 9 April 2004
Old 09-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Commoner

Devonshire Tiaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Here are two of the many Devonshire Tiaras:
Devonshire 'Honeysuckle' Tiara
Devonshire Tiara
Both tiaras are beautiful BUT the honeysuckle tiara is a real stunner!!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Commoner

The Westminster-Grosvenor pearl drop tiara does look strange, as if the pearls have been attached upside down. My personal preference would be the base alone using the pearl drops in a necklace. Any other ideas out there?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Discussed elsewhere, but belonging in this thread. Property of the Earl Spencer...


Old 11-09-2007, 12:18 AM

The Duchess of Grafton and tiara in 1990
Mistress of the Robes to Her Majesty The Queen
Picture 1
Picture 2 (then Sir Robert, now Baron, Fellowes also seen here)
Source: Tim Graham/Getty

The Lady Susan Hussey, Baroness Hussey
Woman of the Bedchamber to HM
2004 Opening of Parliament
Source: Ibid.

Baroness Farnham
Lady of the Bedchamber to HM
2004 Opening of Parliament
Source: Ibid.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Gentry

The Westminsters really have amazing tiaras, I hope to see them soon in "real". I mean at tiara-occassions.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder which of the UK noble families has the most impressive jewelry collection?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Courtier

It certainly seems to be the Westminsters. There are a number of other great noble collections; however we rarely see these jewels in public.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:25 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

My favorite will always be the Fife Tiara, it's just stunning, but not over extravagent.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Royal Highness

I llike the Fife, too, but I'm not sure if "over extravagent" is a good description. It is huge, those hanging diamonds are so large--it is a piece worth of a Queen. I think it is one of the most impressive use of diamonds out there!
Here it is on Louise, Duchess of Fife: Princess Louise of Wales. Duchess of Fife. Wearing the extraordinarily lovely Fife Tiara. pictures from history photos on webshots

and alone
Fife Tiara pictures from history photos on webshots

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-18-2008, 03:41 PM

British Nobility Jewels

And to begin, two noble trinkets from an unlikely source.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5434/ringsme0.png

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8404/rings2vd8.png

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8748/rings3ax9.png

These rings both belonged to the late Jennifer Paterson of Two Fat Ladies fame but she'd acquired them from none other than a Duchess of Westminster. I've no idea which but Clarissa Dickson-Wright says in her biography that when asked to remove her rings whilst cooking, Jennifer proudly declared, "These belonged to the Duchess of Westminster and I have no intention of leaving them anywhere near TV types". The first one seems to be quite a nice sapphire, the second is a row of emeralds with a gold band.

Tags
british, jewellery, nobility