The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2005, 03:37 AM
Administrator

Fife Tiara

The Fife Tiara, still in possession of the family (descendents of King Edward VII).
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2005, 03:39 AM
Administrator

Marlborough Tiara

Of the Dukes of Marlborough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marlborough Tiara.jpg
Views:	6211
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	154020  

Old 07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Nobility

Sorry guys,
those coronets and armorial barings are simply symbols to represent the Knights of the Order of the Garter in St. George's chapel. It's like a signature.
The physical features of the coronet of a Baron/Baroness is accurately reproduced in the top picture.

Every member of the British Royal family, and Peerage is entitled to wear a coronet, with the exception of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II who wears a crown. I descending order they are describes as having the following symbols arranged arround the coronet:

Duke/Duchess: Eight Strawberry leaves.

Marquess/Marchioness: Four Strawberry leaves alternating with four silver balls.

Earl/Countess: Eight silver balls on stalks alternating with eight gold strawberry leaves.

Viscount/Viscountess: Sixteen silver balls.

Baron/Baroness: Six silver balls.

These symbols aren't meerly historical dress, but are worn by all those with titles above Baronet at the coronation of monarchs. In addition to having to wear these coronets, the appropriate coronet is added to your armorial bearings (family coat of arms), on either recieving a peerage or being promoted within the peerage eg: Earl to Marquess etc.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
This is the coronet (crown) of Her Excellency Baroness Margaret Thatcher
has anyone else got any pics of other well know Baroness's etc?
Australian;

I'm curious as to why you've given The Right Hon. Baroness Thatcher KG OM PC FRS, the prefix "Her Excellency"? If it's a joke, then I apologise for not getting it:) But otherwise I just was checking why you'd used it.

Many thanks.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Nobility

Unfortunately for her, no.

The Prefix "Excellency" is mainly reserved for Governors-General/Governors/Lieutenant Governors and Ambassadors, at least in the British Commonwealth. I don't know about other nations, I recall there are historical examples of "Excellence" being used for some minor (and not so minor), figures.

The Right Honourable Baroness Thatcher KG OM PC FRS however doesn't qualify for the prefix, but as a Baroness in her own right, and as a former Prime-Minister of Britain, she is accorded the prefix "The Right Honourable".
Old 07-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Royal Highness

I thought Excellency was higher than honorable b/c I've seen U.S. Presidents ahev the prefix His Excellency and Top Diplomats (like th eSecretary of State and ambassadors) have the Honorable
Old 07-11-2005, 12:07 AM
Nobility

Reina;
I haven't got a clue about the U.S.A, but I sincierly doubt that the two systems are the same.

The Right Hon. Baroness Thatcher KG OM PC FRS is styled as such, there are variations which list her as: The Right Hon. Margaret Hilda, Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven KG OM PC FRS, but she is nothing more, and nothing less. No "Excellency" to be found.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
I thought Excellency was higher than honorable b/c I've seen U.S. Presidents ahev the prefix His Excellency and Top Diplomats (like th eSecretary of State and ambassadors) have the Honorable
In The United Kingdom the use of His/Her Excellency is used to refer to ambassadors and high commissioners, not the Honourable as in the US.

The Honourable is used for certain childern of peers who do not have a courtsey title. It is usual to abbreviate it to The Hon. or more archaically The Honble.
An example is The Hon. Angus Ogilvy (before the was given a knighthood and made a Privy Counsellor)

His/Her Excellency is also applied to Governor Generals, Lieutenant Governors and Governors of Commonwealth countries and to Foreign Presidents.

In Europe certain nobles are entitled to use Excellency.

No Peerages in the UK and no Government ministers can use Excellency.
Dukes are His Grace and Duchesses are Her Grace, other titles accorded to other peers ane the Right Honouable, The Most Noble etc.

God Save The Queen!

Old 02-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol
In The United Kingdom the use of His/Her Excellency is used to refer to ambassadors and high commissioners, not the Honourable as in the US.
The use of "The Honourable" is rare when addressing a sitting or former President of the United States. The current officeholder is simply "The President", and addressed as "Mr. President" or "Sir".

A former President is "Former President Surname" and addressed as "Sir" or "President Surname". Sometimes they are introduced as "The Honourable Jimmy Carter", but this is the exception, rather than the rule. Usually, they are introduced as "The 39th President of the United States, Jimmy Carter".
Old 04-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynard
Lady Craven's tiara
Is this tiara still in the family? Does anyone have a photo of the tiara being worn?
Old 04-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Courtier

I have found out since my last post that this Tiara was sold in an auction. Does anyone have any knowledge who purchase it?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merca
This coronet looks very cheap and silly (especially for those ping pong type of balls attached to it). Neah, I think it is fake.

This is likely a wooden rendering of the actual coronet of the baroness. Such wooden sculptures are common in England (I'm blanking on the carver's name), and are given to members of the nobility, royal family, and visiting royals.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
I believe the American President is constitutionally forbidden to be formally addressed as "His Excellency" within the United States but in diplomatic circles I'm sure it occurs all the time.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Courtier

All of those jews worn by nobles and royals are beautiful I liked seeing these stunning jews and getting to know the history of them and who orinigally owned these wonderful tiaras.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Commoner

the tiaras are beautiful...the information about the nobility is interesting, i am just beginning to read about nobility, I had only been interested in royals before.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:29 AM
Commoner

i really love the tiara fife tiara..i wish i can keep one for myself
Old 12-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Nobility

Baroness Thatcher is not the Rt. Hon because she is a Baroness but because she is a member of the Privy Council that advises the Queen. This is a strictly political honour and denotes seniority. Her title is "Her Ladyship" not "Her Excellency" which (in England) is most associated with ambassadors and evaporates once the office is surrendered.

Being able to wear the coronet and ermine at the opening of Parliament is a fun perk of being a peer. If somebody has a photo of a British life peer in full regalia it would be great if they could post it!
Old 12-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

What about jewels of the other nobilities, I mean Spanish, Belgian or Dutch etc.?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:43 AM
Administrator

We have a thread on the jewels of the Duchess of Alba but you'd be hard-pressed to find jewels pics or information on other aristocrats, apart from the British and German.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I know Warren that the Alba Family is one of the best know noble families from Spain but what about the other? They (Spaniards) has more than one noble family with jewels, right?!

Ok. many jewels not only British and German or Russian are here
http://www.royal-magazin.de/

Tags
british, jewellery, nobility