Jewels of the Belgian Nobility

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tilia C.

Former Moderator
City
O
Country
Germany
Princess Alix of Ligne will get married this summer. So it seems a good idea to have a look at the jewels of the Belgian nobels.

Here is a blog post about a possible wedding tiara for Princess Alix. I would love to see better close-ups of the bandeau tiara the family has. It is difficult to make out it's design with the older pictures.
A Bridal Tiara for Princess Alix? | The Royal Forums

She will wear the de Ligne tiara worn by AD yolande of Habsbourg and Princess Christine de Ligne.

Her grandmother the Dowager Princess , Princess of Luxembourg wore the same tiara as her sisters

Her mother did not wear the Bragancia tiara but flowers

Quite odd that we have never seen a good picture of the Ligne tiara. There is also no photo of Princess Eleonora wearing it, while I would suspect she did so at f.e. the pre-wedding party of the HGD of Luxembourg. It will be great to get a better look of the tiara in June!

Of course, if the tiara that Princess Amélia wore is really property of the Ligne family, it may be an option too.

Considering the love f the princess for jewels (she designs them IIRC) I think we can thankfully be asured she won't follow her mother's example and will go without a tiara.

I don't remember if the 2 daughters of AD Yolande wore their mother's de Ligne tiara for their wedding.?

I don't remember if the 2 daughters of AD Yolande wore their mother's de Ligne tiara for their wedding.?
I too think that she'll wear the de Ligne tiara, but there still is a small possibility that Princess Alix will choose another option. But right now bridal tiaras are very popular, so I don't think that she'll choose flowers like her mother did.
ADss Constanza wore a diamond tiara with a peacock pattern for her wedding:
http://i61.tinypic.com/28uo9zq.jpg

The tiara was also worn by her mother:
http://i61.tinypic.com/fwiq0g.jpg

It may be a Ligne tiara though, the family didn't get to keep many Habsburg jewels.
The peacock tiara was also worn by Princess Yolande's daughter-in-law Baroness Marie Helene de Vogelsanck, her daughter Princess Alexandra and her grand-daughter-in-law Estelle de Saint-Romain.

Karl and Zita lost nearly all their jewels when they went into exile, and it really seem unlikely that there was a Habsburg tiara for their 3rd son. So I think that it is a de Ligne heirloom or it might have been bought for Princess Yolande.

I don't like this tiara! The design don't help the stones. But the earrings she wore Isabella is very beautiful!

An Art Ri, The new Princess de Ligne Tremoile in an italian Actress. She bought a brand new tiara to the Brussels jeweler Holemans (my jeweler in the past). I don't like this nouveau rich tiara. The family owns family tiaras but some are sold. The main Branch , I much prefer, has little tiaras.

The brides wearing stones and diamonds are ofter pregnant , as here, The Duchess of Vendome and Princess Clothilde of Savoie

An Art Ri, The new Princess de Ligne Tremoile in an italian Actress. She bought a brand new tiara to the Brussels jeweler Holemans (my jeweler in the past). I don't like this nouveau rich tiara. The family owns family tiaras but some are sold. The main Branch , I much prefer, has little tiaras.

The brides wearing stones and diamonds are ofter pregnant , as here, The Duchess of Vendome and Princess Clothilde of Savoie

Princess Sofia of Sweden wore a diamond and emerald tiara on her wedding and she wasn't pregnant AFAIK. I don't know where that comes from.

Last edited:
:previous: neither do I. Almost all royal brides wear a tiara, even defunct thrones. Aristocratic brides as well, whose families have one. And most are not pregnant.

As for the aquamarine tiara, beautiful stones but that's all I can say. The tiara looks like the tiaras that commoners buy, costume jewelry, to add bling to their wedding. The craftsmanship looks cheap to me. Shame with such beautiful stones.

:previous: neither do I. Almost all royal brides wear a tiara, even defunct thrones. Aristocratic brides as well, whose families have one. And most are not pregnant.

As for the aquamarine tiara, beautiful stones but that's all I can say. The tiara looks like the tiaras that commoners buy, costume jewelry, to add bling to their wedding. The craftsmanship looks cheap to me. Shame with such beautiful stones.

maria was talking about tiara's with colored stones , The Duchess of Vendome tiara had turquoise in it and Princess Clothilde wore the pink tourmaline tiara .

as for the aquamarine tiara i always thought it would look much better if the bottom part was the top part of it , i don't like the plain metal on the top but all in all i can't complain . when i compare it to other new tiaras like queen letizia's new ansorena tiara and hereditary grand duchess stephanie's new butterfly diamond tiara this aquamarine tiara gets an A+ from me .

I don't see a connection between coloured stones in the tiara and pregnancies. Brides have to wear those tiaras which they have access to, and if there is no 'white' tiara in the family... I think that coloured stones in a new tiara a a question of funds: aquamarines are less expensive than diamonds.

The de Lingne de la Tremoille branch of the family used to have a beautiful diamond fleur-de-Lys tiara. But it hasn't been seen for a long time, so I assume that it has been sold a long time ago. The bride had to get a new tiara, or not wear a tiara at all. In that case I think that it was a nice idea to order a new tiara.

Princess Sofia of Sweden wore a diamond and emerald tiara on her wedding and she wasn't pregnant AFAIK. I don't know where that comes from.
Her son was born pretty much 9 months to the day from the wedding, so she might likely have been.

The aquamarines in the new diadem of the Princesse De Ligne de La Trémoïlle are beautiful. The design of the diadem could be better, to my personal taste, but it suited the Princess very well.

Her son was born pretty much 9 months to the day from the wedding, so she might likely have been.

Is that not the normal full period of a pregnancy? Nine months after wedding date? As a pregnancy takes some weeks to be confirmed (missing a period) it is most likely to me that Princess Sofia had no idea. Anyway, there is no relationship between coloured gemstones and pregnancies. ;-)

Last edited:

No. They got married mid June. If they got pregnant in their wedding day, Alexander would have been due first week of March. Based on his birthday, he would have been conceived mid to late July. If anyone other than Madeleine was pregnant at the wedding of Sofia it was Victoria.

I said OFTEN Pregnant because these 3 pregnant brides wore tiaras with coloured stones, I am sorry for the discussons about Sofia.

Let's stop speculating about pregnant brides and get back on topic.

If we speak about de Ligne de la Tremoille family, it is also interesting that Prince Edouard was born on the 27th of September 1976 while his parents married on the 23rd of January same year. :) So, exactly 9 months and 4 days after the wedding their first son was born ;)

Anyway, I like the tiara and I like the idea of buying a new tiara. It's so rare these days among noble families to acquire a new tiara. They often use old family tiaras just for weddings if there are ones still left in the family.

Last edited:
The Pre-Wedding Event of the Wedding of HGD Guillaume and the Belgian Comtesse Stephanie de Lannoy was very interesting bacause we saw a lot of Belgian Nobility with jewels and some with great tiaras : ea La Princesse de Mérode.

The Pre-Wedding Event of the Wedding of HGD Guillaume and the Belgian Comtesse Stephanie de Lannoy was very interesting bacause we saw a lot of Belgian Nobility with jewels and some with great tiaras : ea La Princesse de Mérode.

With this huge tiara.

It was worn by Baroness Blanche von und zu Bodman, born Princess de Merode.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom