The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

In Australia, most men (or at least the men I come into contact with) don't. I think it's a generational thing though. It seems younger men are more likely to than older men, though I confess I don't make a habit of looking at a man's hand to see if he's wearing a wedding ring. I just don't care. I suppose I would if I was in the market for a man, but I'm not. But if I was, and I wasn't sure of a person's marital status, there are fairly easy ways to find out before you make a fool of yourself by putting on a mating display.

I got married in the early 80s. My husband was adamant that he was not going to wear a ring, so I said I wouldn't either because I wasn't going to wear a symbol indicating that I was tethered to another if he wasn't, and I haven't, and I've never regretted it. At the time I was - and remain - very committed to the idea of equality between the sexes and avoiding gender stereotypes. I've never used his name, either, and always use "Ms". I'm sure other people think it's strange, but I really don't care.

Wearing a ring on your finger doesn't mean you any more committed to your partner. If someone puts an unwelcome move on you, all it takes to let them know you are not available is to tell them.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't senior royal men who wear a wedding ring, wear it on their left hand little finger beside their signet ring? Charles certainly does.

William doesn't wear a signet ring and really strikes me as a non-jewellery kind of guy.

As an aside, David Cameron doesn't wear a wedding ring, nor does Tony Blair or Gordon Brown. It seems to be more common in the upper classes for men not to wear a wedding ring. Here's some discussion of the issue:

David Cameron doesn't wear a wedding ring. Why should he? - Telegraph

Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Seeing as most royal men where the ring on the right finger, as well as I'm guessing most of the upper classes. Your theory of 4 men, 5 if you include William doesn't suit.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

"We should judge people by what they do, not by the state of their fingers."

Great article!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Seeing as most royal men where the ring on the right finger, as well as I'm guessing most of the upper classes. Your theory of 4 men, 5 if you include William doesn't suit.
Most royal men do not wear their signet rings on their right hand.

Prince Philip with signet ring, and wedding ring, on his left hand.

Prince Edward with signet ring on his left hand.

Duke of York with signet ring on his left hand. He wore his wedding ring on the same finger but I can't find a big enough image of it.

Prince Michael of Kent with signet ring on his left hand. He chooses to wear what I presume is his wedding ring on his fourth finger.

George VI with signet ring on left hand.

Duke of Windsor with signet ring and wedding ring on left little finger.

As a rule, signet rings are worn on the wearer's non-leading hand - i.e a right-handed person wears it on their left hand and vice versa.

Some of the royal men choose not to wear their signet rings everyday. I'm not saying they never wear them on their right hands, but the majority of the time it is on their left hand. So if they want to wear a wedding ring, rather than wear rings on 2 fingers, they put them both on the little finger, Michael of Kent being the exception.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Sometimes, when a man or woman chooses not to wear a wedding ring, it's to have someone else believe they are not married....

I know more than a few single men who put wedding rings on when they go out to the clubs. It is a magnet for a certain type of woman (often married) looking for an uncomplicated fun night / one night stand.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I actually liked the decision because William will avoid all the stupid questions in case he wont be wearing the ring occasionally.

My Dad never wore his wedding ring and when I got married, I actually asked my husband if he wanted to wear a wedding ring or not, because if he decided not to wear one anyway he wouldnt have got one in the first place. He decided to wear one but if he had said no, I wouldnt have bothered at all.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Courtier

My husband was in the Air Force working around aircraft and their electrical systems. He did not wear a ring because it would have been dangerous for him to do so. To put your hand into a complex electrical area with metal on your hand would have been inviting trouble - it could draw current and not only take his finger off but also ruin thousands of dollars of equipment.

Tags
jewellery, royal men