The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-07-2014, 04:30 AM
Courtier

She really looks beautiful, she is coming out of her shell it seems. I love the gown, so elegant and pretty on her, her hair and make-up are perfect. She has always been a very beautiful woman. Her tiara, I don't know, I won't think that it is fake as most people in those circles would spot it right away if it was, maybe something that came from the locked vaults that hasn't seen the light of day in decades.....

Old 07-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
She really looks beautiful, she is coming out of her shell it seems. I love the gown, so elegant and pretty on her, her hair and make-up are perfect. She has always been a very beautiful woman. Her tiara, I don't know, I won't think that it is fake as most people in those circles would spot it right away if it was, maybe something that came from the locked vaults that hasn't seen the light of day in decades.....
I don't think that it is fake either. But it looks like a fairly modern piece to me. For economical reasons there are probably only comparatively few and small stones. Nowadays even the royals can't afford those show-stopping walls of diamonds anymore. Eg. the butterflys in the tiara are only outlined, and not filled with stones. That give the jewel a flimsy look. And then the butterfly motive (and is that a beetle I see crawling along the base?) even adds to the girlish and playful appeal of this tiara.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
I'm not a fan of this tiara, it looks fake imo. I don't think this was bought specifically for Stephanie though, the GDF is not in the business of buying new jewels especially new tiaras. It does look similar to the Lannoy family tiara, maybe this also belongs to the Lannoy family?? That would explain why we haven't seen it before.
Why do you think that the Luxembourg family is not in the habit of buying new tiaras? GD Josephine Charlotte got lots of new tiaras for herself or as gifts from unknown persons (her husband?) The amethyst, citrine and aquamarine bandeau surfaced during her time as well as the emerald peacock necklace/tiara, the art deco saphire necklace/tiara.

Maybe Maria Theresa did not get a brand new tiara, but there were so many pieces added to the collection by her mil, that it seemed not necessary. And at least she debuted the the antique turquoise tiara, which might have been a new addition. Also I'm not sure whether the amethyst tiara comes in two settings or if the 2nd one was a new addition.

As for your theory that this new tiara comes from the Lannoy side of the family, I'm not convinced. They don't seem to be so rich that they would purchase such large jewels, and also the tiara does not look like a historic piece. If this tiara had been in the Lannoy family before the wedding, it should have been worn by one of Stephanie's sisters or sisters-in-law at the wedding.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Courtier

I wonder whether the Belgian nobility or a Belgium institution gifted HGD Stephanie with a tiara just like HGD Josephine Charlotte and Princess Mathilde were gifted with jewels from Belgium?
What do you all think?
Old 07-08-2014, 03:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
I wonder whether the Belgian nobility or a Belgium institution gifted HGD Stephanie with a tiara just like HGD Josephine Charlotte and Princess Mathilde were gifted with jewels from Belgium?
What do you all think?
Interesting thought. But would it have been kept so secret if Belgian nobility really had given a gift? At least their gifts to JC and Mathilde were public knowledge. And then I think they might only give such lavish gifts to ladies with a connection to their own Royal family.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I don't think that it is fake either. But it looks like a fairly modern piece to me. For economical reasons there are probably only comparatively few and small stones. Nowadays even the royals can't afford those show-stopping walls of diamonds anymore. Eg. the butterflys in the tiara are only outlined, and not filled with stones. That give the jewel a flimsy look. And then the butterfly motive (and is that a beetle I see crawling along the base?) even adds to the girlish and playful appeal of this tiara.
Why do you think that the Luxembourg family is not in the habit of buying new tiaras? GD Josephine Charlotte got lots of new tiaras for herself or as gifts from unknown persons (her husband?) The amethyst, citrine and aquamarine bandeau surfaced during her time as well as the emerald peacock necklace/tiara, the art deco saphire necklace/tiara.

Maybe Maria Theresa did not get a brand new tiara, but there were so many pieces added to the collection by her mil, that it seemed not necessary. And at least she debuted the the antique turquoise tiara, which might have been a new addition. Also I'm not sure whether the amethyst tiara comes in two settings or if the 2nd one was a new addition.

As for your theory that this new tiara comes from the Lannoy side of the family, I'm not convinced. They don't seem to be so rich that they would purchase such large jewels, and also the tiara does not look like a historic piece. If this tiara had been in the Lannoy family before the wedding, it should have been worn by one of Stephanie's sisters or sisters-in-law at the wedding.
When Grand Duchess JC was around it was a different time, as you have said previously; it was customary to gift heads of state with lavish gifts of jewels. Just look at Princess Grace of Monaco and Queen Elizabeth, they received so many pieces of jewelry they hardly knew what to do with them and back then it was proper for princesses to be decked out in almost every jewel they had. But now in 2014, we are living in a different time where spending frivolously on new jewelry is frowned upon for the most part. Also as you said above, GD MT has so many tiaras from GD JC, princess Stephanie need not want for another tiara as long as she lives. This is just my opinion as I've stated before but I don't believe G would gift her with such an ugly piece after the spectacular job he did with her engagement ring. It seems to me he has pretty good taste and would not pick such a tiara as THAT to have his beloved wife wear years and years and years from now.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Royal Highness

Not a huge fan of this tiara. I have to agree that it looks like a "starter" tiara, not one for a HGD. If Alexandra or Claire were wearing it, I might not have noticed it at all. The dress and her hair are beautiful, but the tiara is just too dainty and let's just say, not very majestic. Aunt Stephanie should put this one in the vault for Princess Amalia and pull it out in about 16-17 years.