Greek Royal Jewels of the Past

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tilia C.

Former Moderator
City
O
Country
Germany
Welcome to the thread

Greek Royal Jewels of the Past

Please follow the
TRF Rules when posting

Last edited:
From what I heard about it, Princess Irene does not wear a real tiara in this photo. It's said that the Princess was not yet 18 in the photo shoot and wore another kind of head ornament.

From what I heard about it, Princess Irene does not wear a real tiara in this photo. It's said that the Princess was not yet 18 in the photo shoot and wore another kind of head ornament.

thanks Tilia for that information , i can kinda see it now .

Miss Sophie Eila Brandram, granddaughter of Princess Katherine of Greece wearing her grandmothers pearl earrings, while diamond tiara came from her mothers family:

Royal Musings

She married Humphrey Walter Voelcker, son Peter Voelcker and his former wife, Alison van Dedem.

Reactions: eya
Very Interesting picture. I think it is Prince Paul of Y who is the Lady beteen him and Princess Eugenie ? and behind ??

Very Interesting picture. I think it is Prince Paul of Y who is the Lady beteen him and Princess Eugenie ? and behind ??
That picture is from the pre-wedding of Juan Carlos and Sofia. The lady between them is Princess Margareta of Denmark with the large diamond tiara from Princess Marie Orleans. Behind them are supposed to be [FONT=&quot]Princess Sophie of Hanover and Prince Georg-Wilhelm. The lady in the third row looks very much like Princess Irene of Greece. [/FONT]

Tilla, you mean the loop tiara worn often by Prince Axel's Wife Princess Margaretha of Sweden and sold by their Son Prince George of Denmark.
or the Bourbon Parme tiara as loan ??

I forgot how common the name Margaretha is in that family. Yes, I was talking about Prince Axel's wife and the big diamond loop tiara which had previously belonged to her mother-in-law, Princess Marie d'Orleans. If you enlarge the picture, you can make out the shape of that tiara.

The duchess of Kent was not short of jewels of her own and I wonder why she borrowed the Greek Ruby Parure?

The duchess of Kent was not short of jewels of her own and I wonder why she borrowed the Greek Ruby Parure?

It looks to me like the setting for Cecil Beaton photo-shoot:

Here is her sister Olga wearing the same parure, but don't know the exact date of the photo.

Marina also wore the ruby parure once before, for the state opening of the Parliament:

https://i2.wp.com/thebeaumonde.org/...na-Duchess-of-Kent.jpg?strip=info&w=409&ssl=1

https://i0.wp.com/thebeaumonde.org/...-Duchess-of-Kent-1.jpg?strip=info&w=647&ssl=1

Last edited:
Lovely picture, I had no idea that Marina had used the parure for a formal portrait.

Here is my timeline:
1955: Marina's sister Olga has worn the ruby parure at the pre-wedding reception of Maria Pia di Savoia & and her son Alexander.
1956: Queen Frederica is said to have worn it at a SV to West Germany, but I have no picture of this event.
1957: GD Elena, mother of Olga and Marina, dies
1962: The earliest picture I have for Frederica wearing the parure is the pre-wedding gala of Sophia and Juan Carlos.

Some say that Elena left the tiara to Frederica in her will. But it seems that Frederica has worn it before Elena died. And why on earth would a mother of three leave valuable jewels to a distant relative? I would rather believe that either Elena or her heirs sold it discreetly. And looking at the timeline, it suggests that Elena sold it before her death. But of course, that is just an educated guess.

Some say that Elena left the tiara to Frederica in her will. But it seems that Frederica has worn it before Elena died. And why on earth would a mother of three leave valuable jewels to a distant relative? I would rather believe that either Elena or her heirs sold it discreetly.

It is intriguing indeed.

I have read somewhere that Elena gave the parure to Olga and that Olga had to sell it to support the family after the war and their exile to Kenya and South Africa.

The parure belonged to Queen Olga and that might be the reason why another Olga of Greece inherited it. The other reason would be that Elena favored Olga jewels wisely as she was the wife of regent, the first woman in the country, as Queen Marie of Yugoslavia left Belgrade for Britain after the assassination of her husband King Alexander.

Not sure about it, but if someone has more reliable info, post :)

Last edited:
The whole stoty of this tiara is written on "The Court Jeweller" Board

It is Queen Anne Marie tiara Queen Freederica wears as necklace when she was Queen Consort;

Queeen Frederica was a real big jewels lover . She bought the Roumanian huge sapphire....

Back
Top Bottom