The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

It is a beautiful tiara but to me it looks a bit big for her head. Still beautiful.

Old 04-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Aristocracy

Didn't that tiara belong to her mother the late Grandduchess? I'm really suprised that she wore it. I think its too big for her but she looks very regal though.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Aristocracy

The Other Jewelry In the Hague Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere
A nice closeup picture of Maria Teresa and her jewelry at the Noordeinde Palace in The Hague, the Netherlands April 24, 2006.

Source: getty images
The brooch looks like one of Empress Eugenie's courant floral bodice pieces. Is it?

Also what is the carat weight of the necklace?

The tear drop earrings are spectacular! Wow!:)
Old 04-25-2006, 12:27 AM
Nobility

I have seen pictures of Grand Duchess Charlotte and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte wearing the tiara.

Grand Duchess Charlotte was the mother of Grand Duke Jean and died in 1985. Charlotte ruled after her sister Marie-Adélaïde was forced to abdicate in 1919. Charlotte abdicated in 1964 in favour of her son, Jean, who had then been regent for three years. I included her picture from Worldroots.com.

Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte was the wife of Jean and the mother of Henri and died in 2005.

Also, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa has not worn other jewelry that belongs to the family. Henri's brother's wife Sybilla is the only other family member to wear the Belgian Diamond Tiara. Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte was given that tiara that as a wedding present from the people of Belgium when she married prince Jean in 1953.

I don't know the carats in the necklace, but I think the necklace is the Congo Diamond Necklace Tiara. I included a picture of Maria Teresa on her wedding day. The diamond necklace was a wedding gift from the Belgian colony of the Congo to Princess Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium when whe married Jean of Luxembourg. The necklace as a wedding tiara was also worn by.Archduchess Marie-Astrid of Austria, Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein, and Maria Terese Mestre (Source is Royalty Danjel).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lux6.jpg
Views:	1027
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	239924   Click image for larger version

Name:	11a.jpg
Views:	2221
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	239925  
Old 04-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Aristocracy

Maria Teresa Wearing Heirlooms

A few years ago, I saw some speculation in TRF/LTR that Charlotte was denying Maria Teresa access to jewelry.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogm
A few years ago, I saw some speculation in TRF/LTR that Charlotte was denying Maria Teresa access to jewelry.
Maria Theresa & the late Josephine-Charlotte didn't always share a cosy relationship...

I believe Maria Theresa gave an interiew expressing her hurt by comments made by her mother in-law regarding her Cuban background or something along those lines...maybe someone with a better knowledge of that interview could asist? :)

As for the jewelry...a situation as was seen with the Dowager Tsarina Maria Fyodorovna & Tsarina Alexandra Fyodorovna...

The Dowager Grand Duchess wanting to maintain her right to wear the jewels whilst the reigning Grand Ducal Consort (upon her hsubands accession) was now the rightful wearer of the pieces.

Not a nice situation I believe.

"MII"
Old 04-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Serene Highness

Here are emerald jewels. Has anyone seen it?

http://img135.imagevenue.com/img.php...ER00158596.jpg
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...2&d=1146041016
Old 04-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Courtier

Wow, I've never seen her wear this one before. It's a very beautiful tiara though and I think we a puffier hairstyle is would've looked even better. But bravo on the tiara, very pretty.:)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1145914081
Old 04-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Aristocracy

The left picture posted by Rere in #33 is almost southeast Asian or Indian looking. Very elaborate curves.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Aristocracy

Wow, what a gorgeous tiara and she looks wonderful. I do wish that she would wear this with a nice updo-to me it kind of looks like the tiara is sitting there very precariously with not much to hang on to.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Courtier

I love her tiara!!!! Stunning beyond words as with all her other jewels collections.

I've always wondered why the late GD didn't like MT? She a lovely person and has done alot for her country, her husband clearly adores her and together they've produced a bunch of wonderful kids... Beside, she always carry herself well.

If the rumours are true and she was denied the use of some of the jewels - like the diamond tiara - then, i'm glad that she now has access to them in her own rights as GD...
Old 04-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Gentry

JC thought of her daughters-in-law as women who took her little boys away from her. Plus her children all married for love while the marriage between her and Jean was arranged. But while Sibilla was "at least" noble (or is she even royal?) Maria Teresa was "only" a commoner. A commoner who - in JC'eyes - was proceeding to take her boy away? Not good. She liked to call MT "La negrita" or "Little Cuban" in english like MII said. And when a couple years ago (in 2002 IIRC) Maria Teresa had some informal meeting with the press a journalist asked at the end a question and she broke down and said JC was spreading rumors Henri cheated on his wife. Of course it got out. No idea whether they all talked about it and sorted things finally out. But it must have been awful for MT. Just imagine having a mother-in-law and grandmother to your children no less who doesn't like you at all for 20 years!

And yes she looked stunning during the state visit. :) That tiara is very impressive.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:54 PM
Serene Highness

Old but very good picture of her pearl necklace:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...8&d=1138633131

P.S. Thank you for info ms. Griffin!
Old 04-30-2006, 01:16 AM
Serene Highness

Photo from King Carl Gustafs birthday:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...8&d=1146347846
Old 07-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Royal Highness

A gorgeous necklace for her Silver Wedding Anniversary!

(From Polfoto):

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2...ecklac19tl.jpg
Old 07-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Serene Highness

I love her new necklace! Maybe an anniversary gift from Henri? It looks like it can be converted into a tiara. That would be a nice first tiara for Alexandra.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg
I love her new necklace! Maybe an anniversary gift from Henri? It looks like it can be converted into a tiara. That would be a nice first tiara for Alexandra.
It does look like it could be converted into a tiara. It would be a beautiful tiara at that. I do also wonder what tiara Alexandra will get when she comes of age. In Luxembourg is that 18 or 21 or a different age?

Lovely pair of earrings, also from her Silver Wedding Anniversary celebrations. They're huge! (From P.P.E.)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1151835144
Old 07-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogm
The left picture posted by Rere in #33 is almost southeast Asian or Indian looking. Very elaborate curves.
In fact it is very much European. Napoleonic, to be specific, with heavy influence of the Greek Revival. Note the classical order of the pattern, as opposed to more realistic floral designs on such tiaras as the Mellerio floral of Spanish Queen Sophia, and the deliberate symmetry of the Luxembourg tiara in contrast to Rococo designs like that of the Swedish Braganza tiara of Queen Silvia.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Griffin
But while Sibilla was "at least" noble (or is she even royal?) Maria Teresa was "only" a commoner. A commoner who - in JC'eyes - was proceeding to take her boy away? Not good. She liked to call MT "La negrita" or "Little Cuban" in english like MII said. And when a couple years ago (in 2002 IIRC) Maria Teresa had some informal meeting with the press a journalist asked at the end a question and she broke down and said JC was spreading rumors Henri cheated on his wife.
"La negrita" does not translate to "Little Cuban". For all the Spanish-speakers out there, I'm sure you know why I'm a little more than annoyed with Josephine-Charlotte for this one.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
A gorgeous necklace for her Silver Wedding Anniversary!

(From Polfoto):

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2...ecklac19tl.jpg
Yes, a very nice necklace....could this be the type that can be worn as a tiara? It definitly looks like it! Ohhh...I can just see it now....any pics anyone? Or is it a new necklace and that's all....?

Tags
grand duchess, jewellery, luxembourg, maria teresa