Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte & Luxembourg Jewels of the Past

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cathérine Bergeyck

Heir Presumptive
At the wedding of Philippe and Mathilde

0000360435-023.jpg

Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte has some nice jewellery. Since she does not perform many royal duties now, has some of the jewellery (like the tiaras) passed on to her daughter or daughter-in-laws now?

1.More pearls ...

2. Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte and King Albert II make their entrée at the gala dinner. State visit to Belgium. March 16, 1999

3. QUEEN MOTHER'S 100th BIRTHDAY MASS AT ST. PAUL'S

Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg with his wife Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte leaving the thanksgiving service. July 11, 2000

Attachments

• pearls_for_jc.jpg
    pearls_for_jc.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 9647.jpg
    9647.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 3,624
  • mum_100.jpg
    mum_100.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,249
Last edited by a moderator:
Since the belgian royal jewels which was the property of Princess Lilian seem to be missing after her death, anyone think there is a chance that JC have inherited some of them?

ewaring a tiara

Attachments

• showLayoutImage3.jpg
    showLayoutImage3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 3,951
magnik said:

Thanks for the link. In the photo with GD Charlotte, the sapphire tiara has a diamond base along the tiara. With GD Maria-Teresa, it's simply a band. It looks like she's wearing the necklace that goes with the way GD Charlotte wore it. Does anyone else see what I'm talking about?

-Ayvee

ayvee said:
Thanks for the link. In the photo with GD Charlotte, the sapphire tiara has a diamond base along the tiara. With GD Maria-Teresa, it's simply a band. It looks like she's wearing the necklace that goes with the way GD Charlotte wore it. Does anyone else see what I'm talking about?

-Ayvee

I do. It almost looks like the GD took the diamond base off of the tiara and is wearing it as a necklace with the tiara in this picture. What do you think?

Thanks magnik, ayvee and kimebear, you have solved this 'mystery' of Grand Duchess Charlotte's tiara. :)
I prefer it with the diamond base as it makes the tiara appear more substantial; or maybe GD Charlotte just knew how to wear it to advantage.

From a German Ducal House deposed by Prussia to later regain a throne by virtue of Salic Law, the Nassaus have not only proven to be survivors, but have managed to retain a goodly part of their ancestral wealth and jewels.

Thank you all very much! Especially to you magnik! :) I think this is one of the most beautiful Luxembourg jewels, but it isn't worn so frequently. :sad:
Thank you!

Last edited:
That is absolutely stunning....Just it being diamonds is not a huge deal to me, but the actual unique shape is breathtaking.

A lot of Jewels belonging to the late Grand Duchess will be sold by Sothebys in december according to a thread on the Royal-Jewels-MB. Among the items are the belgian diamond Tiara worn by the Grand Duchess for her official wedding-Photos. the Congo-Diamond Necklace/Tiara worn by Joséphine-Charlotte, Maria Teresa, Marie Astrid and margaretha at their weddings and the Sapphire Bracelet/Tiara. Also a Diamond and Emerald Bracelet which was a gift from the future Léopold III. to his wife Astrid is among the items to be sold. It was displayed during the Astrid Exhibition in Brussels last year.

Last edited:
According to the Belgian newspaper “Gazet van Antwerpen” the jewels will be sold, because Josephine Charlotte’s two daughters and their sisters-in-law couldn’t arrive at an agreement on how to divide them. Don’t know if this is true and if it’s fair to lay the blame on those women – but this is what appears before my inner eye: A bunch of combative women lurking around a table covered with tons of sparkling and flashing jewels arguing why they need this special ring and that precious tiara and so on and so forth.
But on a serious note: This sell-out reveals a frustrating lack of historical awareness.
And since there are several pieces with a Belgian provenance let’s hope that the Belgian royal family will purchase some of them. So at least some of the jewels would come back “home” and Paola and co. could surprise us with “new” tiaras. Their collection is very limited –so this will be the best opportunity to add some niece pieces.

Last edited:
A great pitty and I also see it played out before my eyes, three women arguing over who gets what (ofcourse it is very handy to blame it on the women unlike in the Princess Margareth case where Lord Linnley was the big bad wolf:lol: ). I especially cannot understand why they are selling the wedding tiara of the Grand Duchess, Marie Astrid and Margaretha, you would think it would have incredible sentimental value for them and that they would want their daughters to wear it on their weddingday, and it is not like the family is in want for money.

If the belgian royal family had wanted more jewellery Im sure they could have bought it before, but it seems it is not a priority and I doubt very much they would be purchasing any of this, even if especially the pieces closely related to Queen Astrid (like the emerald choker/bracelet) would be wonderful if could come back, and not end up on some nouveau rich heiress with peroxide hair and a doggy in her handbag:sad:

Last edited:
But why not etablish a Family Foundation like the have done it in the Netherlands and all woman have the right to use the Jewels ?? So the could kept in the Family.

Stefan said:
But why not etablish a Family Foundation like the ghave done it in the Netherlands and all woman have the right to use the Jewels ?? So the could kept in the Family.

I agree with you Stefan. If they obviously can't agree on how to divide them then they should be kept in the family so that they are there when someone wants to use them. What are these people thinking when they decide to sell jewelry just because they can't come to an agreement.

But why not etablish a Family Foundation like the have done it in the Netherlands

The Danish Royal House has done the same and I am so glade they have :flowers:

What a great loss though. Really unfortunate, IMO.

Madame Royale said:
The Danish Royal House has done the same and I am so glade they have :flowers:

What a great loss though. Really unfortunate, IMO.

But not all jewels are in the Foundation. For example why not all the Jewels of HM Queen Ingrid in the Foundation (especially the cartier Tiara). And they do not share the Jewels. Also a lot of the jewels of Queen Alexadrine belong no to the Descendatns of Prince Knud. If all the Jewels would by in the Family Foundation and shared by the Women on big occasions the danish Royal Family would have quiet a big Collection.

Stefan said:
But not all jewels are in the Foundation. For example why not all the Jewels of HM Queen Ingrid in the Foundation (especially the cartier Tiara). And they do not share the Jewels. Also a lot of the jewels of Queen Alexadrine belong no to the Descendatns of Prince Knud. If all the Jewels would by in the Family Foundation and shared by the Women on big occasions the danish Royal Family would have quiet a big Collection.

No, not all, but the most important and prominent are.

The cartier tiara? Do you mean the Crown Princess Margarita Khedive Egypt tiara? That has been used by many members of the Danish royal family (including those grandchildren of Ingrid who bear Greek and German heritage) and is now often used by Queen Anne Marie. It will no doubt probably stay with Anne Marie aswell so I doubt if that is such a big issue.

Other pieces from Ingrid have either been devided between her daughters and probably grandchildren aswell.

I am glade the Danish ladies dont share their jewels. By the time Mary becomes Queen Consot we would have already seen her in pretty much everything which would be such a shame I think.

Thats one thing I dont agree with when it comes to the Dutch. The sharing of their jewels.

But again, I wonder why such a decision has been made. There are some exquisite pieces in the Luxembourg 'set' and to think that they could very well be seen dangling from a Hollywood heiress' neck is just gut wrenching!

Any other comments regarding the Danish jewels, please direct it to Margrethe's thread as I dont wish to get this thread off track.

Last edited:
Stefan said:
But why not etablish a Family Foundation like the have done it in the Netherlands and all woman have the right to use the Jewels ?? So the could kept in the Family.

I totally agree too, Stefan! Selling of all these beautiful and historically so interesting jewels is just an awful thing to do! Why not put them in a collection so the future generations can put them to proper use? Sometimes I just don't get these royal people. It's not like the Luxembourgian family needs the money desperately...:ermm:

Madame Royale said:
No, not all, but the most important and prominent are.

The cartier tiara? Do you mean the Crown Princess Margarita Khedive Egypt tiara? That has been used by many members of the Danish royal family (including those grandchildren of Ingrid who bear Greek and German heritage) and is now often used by Queen Anne Marie. It will no doubt probably stay with Anne Marie aswell so I doubt if that is such a big issue.

Other pieces from Ingrid have either been devided between her daughters and probably grandchildren aswell.
Yes the Cartier Khedive of Egypt Tiara. I would have given it to the three daughters to use it fore their lifetime and then to stay it in the danish Royal Family. Margrethe has not so many Tiara's especially because the Crown Jewels can not worn abroad. So on State Visits abroad she mostly wears the Orange-Nassau Pearl Suite.
For example if you had not given Princess Alexandra a own Tiara and let her use for example the small floral Tiara, the Baden-Heart Tiara or the turquiose set. And the Ruby-Parure could used by both the Queen and the Crown princess. i think it is a shame that we will probably never see Queen margrethe war it. She would look stunning in it.

That tiara is quite pretty its damn shame that they're selling it along with some of the other beautiful pieces. Don't these people know how to share?

johann said:
According to the Belgian newspaper “Gazet van Antwerpen” the jewels will be sold, because Josephine Charlotte’s two daughters and their sisters-in-law couldn’t arrive at an agreement on how to divide them. Don’t know if this is true and if it’s fair to lay the blame on those women – but this is what appears before my inner eye: A bunch of combative women lurking around a table covered with tons of sparkling and flashing jewels arguing why they need this special ring and that precious tiara and so on and so forth.
But on a serious note: This sell-out reveals a frustrating lack of historical awareness.
And since there are several pieces with a Belgian provenance let’s hope that the Belgian royal family will purchase some of them. So at least some of the jewels would come back “home” and Paola and co. could surprise us with “new” tiaras. Their collection is very limited –so this will be the best opportunity to add some niece pieces.

What a shame that all these jewels will be lost due to the fact that some women can not overcome their petty greviances! They are even selling 3 ruby brooches, a wedding present of their own father to their mother! And it isn´t exactly that the house of Nassau needs the money as they are very rich. IMO it is a sign of lack of respect for the late Grand Duchess and of the former Grand Duke.

-

If the Belgians were interested they would probably have bought some stuff before the auction, not during. I do not think the Belgian RF has enough money to invest in these things (which the horrible excuse for a tiara that Claire is wearing shows).

A question, or two: If the late Grand Duchess's will did not specify who should get each individual piece, then it would be up to the Executor(s) to distribute them.

Since it doesn't appear the GD left all of her jewels to her daughters etc, then there must be some specifics in the will. Surely there wasn't a list of jewels earmarked "for my daughters and daughters-in-law" or suchlike in equally vague and unspecific terms? No lawyer worth his or her salt would allow such potential ambiguity in a will regarding such sentimental and valuable items.

I note that some of the items up for auction were gifts from Paul-Louis Weiller, the grandfather of Princess Sibylla. Wasn't that an obvious enough family connection to bequeath these pieces to her?

It would appear that a rather unwelcome Belgian tradition has been introduced into the Grand Ducal House. :sad:

Well, I do not know what the will said warren, but as said in 'Het Gazet van Antwerpen', it seems to be the problem that the children could not get an agreement about the jewels.

Very sad to see tat more pieces of Queen Astrid are leaving the hands of royalty and will be disappearing to the nouveau riche. What pieces did they keep of JC? They are selling BOTH her wedding diademes, also the one worn by Marie-Theresa, Marie-Astrid and Marguerite!

Anyway, if this selling is what it takes to preserve some family unity it has to be done, we wouldn't want the Grand Duchess crying in a room filled with reporters again, now would we? This time maybe talking about her evil sisters-in-law.

I just read Sotheby’s press statement. Holy cow, this is worse than expected. The Nassau’s are for sure not sentimental.
Warren said:
I note that some of the items up for auction were gifts from Paul-Louis Weiller, the grandfather of Princess Sibylla. Wasn't that an obvious enough family connection to bequeath these pieces to her?
I agree with you Warren. There would have been some other options to come to an amicable solution. Quite strange that they choose this one and even more strange that Grand Duke Jean gave his allowance.
Marengo said:
If the Belgians were interested they would probably have bought some stuff before the auction, not during. I do not think the Belgian RF has enough money to invest in these things (which the horrible excuse for a tiara that Claire is wearing shows).
As for the wealth of the Sachsen-Coburg´s in particular or the wealth of royal families in general – as long as there are no affirmed record its just speculation. So hope dies last – and I’m still hoping that King Albert buys at least one of his sister’s tiaras.

And as a side note: There are many negative comments floating around concerning Josephine Charlotte’s personality and I doubt if they do justice to her. She surely had many positive attributes and her strong affection towards her siblings was one of them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom