The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
The Danish Royal House has done the same and I am so glade they have

What a great loss though. Really unfortunate, IMO.
But not all jewels are in the Foundation. For example why not all the Jewels of HM Queen Ingrid in the Foundation (especially the cartier Tiara). And they do not share the Jewels. Also a lot of the jewels of Queen Alexadrine belong no to the Descendatns of Prince Knud. If all the Jewels would by in the Family Foundation and shared by the Women on big occasions the danish Royal Family would have quiet a big Collection.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
But not all jewels are in the Foundation. For example why not all the Jewels of HM Queen Ingrid in the Foundation (especially the cartier Tiara). And they do not share the Jewels. Also a lot of the jewels of Queen Alexadrine belong no to the Descendatns of Prince Knud. If all the Jewels would by in the Family Foundation and shared by the Women on big occasions the danish Royal Family would have quiet a big Collection.
No, not all, but the most important and prominent are.

The cartier tiara? Do you mean the Crown Princess Margarita Khedive Egypt tiara? That has been used by many members of the Danish royal family (including those grandchildren of Ingrid who bear Greek and German heritage) and is now often used by Queen Anne Marie. It will no doubt probably stay with Anne Marie aswell so I doubt if that is such a big issue.

Other pieces from Ingrid have either been devided between her daughters and probably grandchildren aswell.

I am glade the Danish ladies dont share their jewels. By the time Mary becomes Queen Consot we would have already seen her in pretty much everything which would be such a shame I think.

Thats one thing I dont agree with when it comes to the Dutch. The sharing of their jewels.

But again, I wonder why such a decision has been made. There are some exquisite pieces in the Luxembourg 'set' and to think that they could very well be seen dangling from a Hollywood heiress' neck is just gut wrenching!

Any other comments regarding the Danish jewels, please direct it to Margrethe's thread as I dont wish to get this thread off track.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
But why not etablish a Family Foundation like the have done it in the Netherlands and all woman have the right to use the Jewels ?? So the could kept in the Family.
I totally agree too, Stefan! Selling of all these beautiful and historically so interesting jewels is just an awful thing to do! Why not put them in a collection so the future generations can put them to proper use? Sometimes I just don't get these royal people. It's not like the Luxembourgian family needs the money desperately...
Old 09-14-2006, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
No, not all, but the most important and prominent are.

The cartier tiara? Do you mean the Crown Princess Margarita Khedive Egypt tiara? That has been used by many members of the Danish royal family (including those grandchildren of Ingrid who bear Greek and German heritage) and is now often used by Queen Anne Marie. It will no doubt probably stay with Anne Marie aswell so I doubt if that is such a big issue.

Other pieces from Ingrid have either been devided between her daughters and probably grandchildren aswell.
Yes the Cartier Khedive of Egypt Tiara. I would have given it to the three daughters to use it fore their lifetime and then to stay it in the danish Royal Family. Margrethe has not so many Tiara's especially because the Crown Jewels can not worn abroad. So on State Visits abroad she mostly wears the Orange-Nassau Pearl Suite.
For example if you had not given Princess Alexandra a own Tiara and let her use for example the small floral Tiara, the Baden-Heart Tiara or the turquiose set. And the Ruby-Parure could used by both the Queen and the Crown princess. i think it is a shame that we will probably never see Queen margrethe war it. She would look stunning in it.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Link to the press release from Sotheby's

http://www.shareholder.com/bid/downl...914-211080.pdf

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Aristocracy

That tiara is quite pretty its damn shame that they're selling it along with some of the other beautiful pieces. Don't these people know how to share?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:57 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann
According to the Belgian newspaper “Gazet van Antwerpen” the jewels will be sold, because Josephine Charlotte’s two daughters and their sisters-in-law couldn’t arrive at an agreement on how to divide them. Don’t know if this is true and if it’s fair to lay the blame on those women – but this is what appears before my inner eye: A bunch of combative women lurking around a table covered with tons of sparkling and flashing jewels arguing why they need this special ring and that precious tiara and so on and so forth.
But on a serious note: This sell-out reveals a frustrating lack of historical awareness.
And since there are several pieces with a Belgian provenance let’s hope that the Belgian royal family will purchase some of them. So at least some of the jewels would come back “home” and Paola and co. could surprise us with “new” tiaras. Their collection is very limited –so this will be the best opportunity to add some niece pieces.
What a shame that all these jewels will be lost due to the fact that some women can not overcome their petty greviances! They are even selling 3 ruby brooches, a wedding present of their own father to their mother! And it isn´t exactly that the house of Nassau needs the money as they are very rich. IMO it is a sign of lack of respect for the late Grand Duchess and of the former Grand Duke.

-

If the Belgians were interested they would probably have bought some stuff before the auction, not during. I do not think the Belgian RF has enough money to invest in these things (which the horrible excuse for a tiara that Claire is wearing shows).
Old 09-15-2006, 04:20 AM
Administrator

A question, or two: If the late Grand Duchess's will did not specify who should get each individual piece, then it would be up to the Executor(s) to distribute them.

Since it doesn't appear the GD left all of her jewels to her daughters etc, then there must be some specifics in the will. Surely there wasn't a list of jewels earmarked "for my daughters and daughters-in-law" or suchlike in equally vague and unspecific terms? No lawyer worth his or her salt would allow such potential ambiguity in a will regarding such sentimental and valuable items.

I note that some of the items up for auction were gifts from Paul-Louis Weiller, the grandfather of Princess Sibylla. Wasn't that an obvious enough family connection to bequeath these pieces to her?

It would appear that a rather unwelcome Belgian tradition has been introduced into the Grand Ducal House.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Well, I do not know what the will said warren, but as said in 'Het Gazet van Antwerpen', it seems to be the problem that the children could not get an agreement about the jewels.

Very sad to see tat more pieces of Queen Astrid are leaving the hands of royalty and will be disappearing to the nouveau riche. What pieces did they keep of JC? They are selling BOTH her wedding diademes, also the one worn by Marie-Theresa, Marie-Astrid and Marguerite!

Anyway, if this selling is what it takes to preserve some family unity it has to be done, we wouldn't want the Grand Duchess crying in a room filled with reporters again, now would we? This time maybe talking about her evil sisters-in-law.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Courtier

I just read Sotheby’s press statement. Holy cow, this is worse than expected. The Nassau’s are for sure not sentimental.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I note that some of the items up for auction were gifts from Paul-Louis Weiller, the grandfather of Princess Sibylla. Wasn't that an obvious enough family connection to bequeath these pieces to her?
I agree with you Warren. There would have been some other options to come to an amicable solution. Quite strange that they choose this one and even more strange that Grand Duke Jean gave his allowance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
If the Belgians were interested they would probably have bought some stuff before the auction, not during. I do not think the Belgian RF has enough money to invest in these things (which the horrible excuse for a tiara that Claire is wearing shows).
As for the wealth of the Sachsen-Coburg´s in particular or the wealth of royal families in general – as long as there are no affirmed record its just speculation. So hope dies last – and I’m still hoping that King Albert buys at least one of his sister’s tiaras.

And as a side note: There are many negative comments floating around concerning Josephine Charlotte’s personality and I doubt if they do justice to her. She surely had many positive attributes and her strong affection towards her siblings was one of them.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Serene Highness

The family seem to have behaved like spoiled children. Because of their individual greed no one now gets anything (or very little once all this lot has been sold). The future Grand Duchess would have had a fine collection but now it's going to be meagre and I don't know what Henri's other future daughters in law not to mention Alexandra will wear in the future when the occasion demands it. I think that's what annoys me most, that most of the present females are older now anyway and they havn't given a thought to the future generation. Lets face it, looking the part is a big part of being Royal and not having impressive looking "props" takes a lot of the glory away somehow.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann
I just read Sotheby’s press statement. Holy cow, this is worse than expected. The Nassau’s are for sure not sentimental.
I agree with you Warren. There would have been some other options to come to an amicable solution. Quite strange that they choose this one and even more strange that Grand Duke Jean gave his allowance.
As for the wealth of the Sachsen-Coburg´s in particular or the wealth of royal families in general – as long as there are no affirmed record its just speculation. So hope dies last – and I’m still hoping that King Albert buys at least one of his sister’s tiaras.

And as a side note: There are many negative comments floating around concerning Josephine Charlotte’s personality and I doubt if they do justice to her. She surely had many positive attributes and her strong affection towards her siblings was one of them.
Though this is probably not the thread for it, I completely agree with you Johann! To be honest the first negative story I heard about her was only AFTER the outburst of Maria-Theresa. And after that all of a sudden she was a woman who was only ´respected´ by the people of Luxembourg, cold, proud etc. I found this all very weird (and instead of supporting her son Henri to marry the woman he wanted all of a sudden it was claimed she disapproved of the marriage). To me she seemed nice and shy woman who was terribly fond of her relatives, good causes etc. I have heard stories on another board that she could be rather difficult at times, especially to her children in-law, ALL of them.

Anyway, the old Grand Duke probably approved of this to, and if he approves then there must be difficulties that we are unaware of, which will be solved by this sale. The Nassau´s still have a huge collection left, also with some of JC´s jewels (a tiara bought by her husband for example). But especially sad that they also sell the jewels of Queen Astrid, by now most of her jewels disappearewd from rouyal hands to ... who knows?
Old 09-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Serene Highness

I don't understand this sale. Will it be any easier to distribute the cash proceeds of the sale than it was for the jewels? The wedding tiara!!!! Somebody is robbing poor Alexandra of her heritage. Come on, European royals, step up! Don't let these things vanish into relative obscurity.

Just a thought. If any of the European families bought these jewels it would be proper as they are all somehow related. How would the TRF members feel about them going to families that have no relation to the Nassaus? (Japan or Jordan, for example). They would still be trotted out for the beautiful functions.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Though this is probably not the thread for it, I completely agree with you Johann! To be honest the first negative story I heard about her was only AFTER the outburst of Maria-Theresa. And after that all of a sudden she was a woman who was only ´respected´ by the people of Luxembourg, cold, proud etc. I found this all very weird (and instead of supporting her son Henri to marry the woman he wanted all of a sudden it was claimed she disapproved of the marriage). To me she seemed nice and shy woman who was terribly fond of her relatives, good causes etc. I have heard stories on another board that she could be rather difficult at times, especially to her children in-law, ALL of them.
D´accord. These “my evil mother-in-law treated me bad” stories garnished with some tears always guaranty sympathy. Surely it wasn’t always that easy with her, but there are also some quotes by Princes Astrid of Belgium. She characterized her aunt as “reserved but philanthropic, courageous and humorous” and she thanked her wholeheartedly for all the love she gave to her siblings.
But back on topic: VTM (a Belgian broadcaster) reports on this sale out in the evening news. (click here and go to Vrijdag 15/09 19u, the clip starts at about 27min running time). Nothing new, but nice to see.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:39 AM
Courtier

is here belgium diamond tiara being sold... it ment so much to JC!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is just godawful. I can not understand this is happening. I know Margaretha, Marie-Astrid and Guillaume were very close to their mother, I'm sure they're not exactly happy about this either.

I can only wish some of this will go back to the Belgian RF, where it came from and who have so little left. But I know the chance is very very small - otherwise this would have happened behind closed doors and now prizes will be exorbitant.

I very much regret to see queen Astrid's jewels go, the ones she left to her only daughter Joséphine-Charlotte and that must have ment so much to her. Also the bracelet with the blue stone she received upon her wedding from the Belgian aristocracy, the wedding tiara donated by the Congo, the beautiful flower brooches Leopold III gave JC as a wedding present...

Even for me, a complete outsider, this is difficult to watch and IMO it's just the epitome of bad taste.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:15 AM
Heir Apparent

My favourie piece is the diamond and emerald bracelet. What an absolute loss That exquisite creation is so, so stunning!
Old 09-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the link Johann. The television news claimed that the children were fighting about the inheritance and could not come to on agreement about the devision of these jewels. I read somewhere else that the daughters of JC didn´t want to see these personal jewels of their mother on Maria-Theresa. All very disturbing and one hoped they would have more class & chose to preserve the heritage over, what I think, are petty greviences (though I understand why Marie-Astrid and Marguerite wouldn´t want Marie-Theresa to wear their mothers most personal jewels).
According to the news the jewels included gifts from the Belgian, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian RF.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Jewels

Still I agree with the masses that its pretty petty.

Yes the Josephine was your mother but she is no longer here and Maria Theresa is the wife of your brother. I am sure the sons will end up buying some of the jewels..but it is a shame.

I need to check out some of other threads..what on earth did Maria Theresa do that was so bloody awful?!
Old 09-16-2006, 07:53 AM
Serene Highness

J-C hated MT because she wasnt royal and she was from Cuba. I remember on one interview, when MT cried and she told that J-C called her "little Cuban" or "la negrita"- she made her life misery. after this I heard, that J-C never allowed MT to wear her personal jewelry.
But why M-A and Margaretha dislike Maria Teresa too? Now these jewels will leave LRF and that will be big pitty and shame.

Tags
jewellery, josephine-charlotte