German and Austrian Royal and Noble Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really love Princess Sophie of Prussia's wedding tiara. A very elegant and timeless piece.
For her wedding, Sophie actually wore two tiaras - one for the religious ceremony in the morning, and one for the evening reception. The first tiara is from her family and is known as the Isenburg Floral Tiara, while the second one is from Georg Friedrich's family and is known as Crown Princess Cecilie’s Meander Tiara.

A little article on both: The Isenburg Family Tiara and Crown Princess Cecilie’s Meander Tiara

For her wedding, Sophie actually wore two tiaras - one for the religious ceremony in the morning, and one for the evening reception. The first tiara is from her family and is known as the Isenburg Floral Tiara, while the second one is from Georg Friedrich's family and is known as Crown Princess Cecilie’s Meander Tiara.

A little article on both: The Isenburg Family Tiara and Crown Princess Cecilie’s Meander Tiara
And for the Gala Dinner in the evening Sophie's mother wore the Isenburg family tiara. Have seen them leaving fot the Gala but it was too dark to make pics.

Right, I forgot about that. The Meander tiara is definitely stunning as well! She is so lucky to wear two tiaras on her wedding day!

And for the Gala Dinner in the evening Sophie's mother wore the Isenburg family tiara. Have seen them leaving fot the Gala but it was too dark to make pics.
I have seen the pictures too, I think in Bunte. If I still have my copy, I'll scan the pictures and share them here.

Right, I forgot about that. The Meander tiara is definitely stunning as well! She is so lucky to wear two tiaras on her wedding day!
Sophie is a girl right after my own heart: if you have access to more than one tiara - you have to wear them for the most important day of your life. ;)

I agree with you, Artemisia, why make a choice when you can wear them both!

Imo, it makes perfectly sense that Sophie wanted to wear her own family tiara for her wedding, like her sisters did. Afaik the Isenburgs only have this one tiara. And since they had planned a white tie and tiara reception, the best option was to leave the Isenburg tiara for the mother of the bride, how would it have looked it the Princess of Isenburg had appeared without tiara? So changing the tiara was the best option. And my, Sophie looked glorious with the meander tiara!

Sophie's sister Isabell wore the wonderful Wied tiara.
Stefan, did you happen to see her other sister Katharina? Did she also wear a tiara?

Imo, it makes perfectly sense that Sophie wanted to wear her own family tiara for her wedding, like her sisters did. Afaik the Isenburgs only have this one tiara. And since they had planned a white tie and tiara reception, the best option was to leave the Isenburg tiara for the mother of the bride, how would it have looked it the Princess of Isenburg had appeared without tiara? So changing the tiara was the best option. And my, Sophie looked glorious with the meander tiara!

Sophie's sister Isabell wore the wonderful Wied tiara.
Stefan, did you happen to see her other sister Katharina? Did she also wear a tiara?

Yes Archduchess Katharina wore the smaller tiara from the posession of her mother-in-law Archduchess Margherita who also attended but wore no tiara.

Yes Archduchess Katharina wore the smaller tiara from the posession of her mother-in-law Archduchess Margherita who also attended but wore no tiara.
Thank you, I guess that was the small tiara AD Margherita and her two daughters wore for their wedding?
How I envy you for having seen them in person:cool:. How I would like to get my hands on their private wedding album :D.

Thank you, I guess that was the small tiara AD Margherita and her two daughters wore for their wedding?
How I envy you for having seen them in person:cool:. How I would like to get my hands on their private wedding album :D.

Yes it was this tiara. That would be really something to get heir hand on their private Albums.

I remember the "Wied tiara" Princess Sophie's sister wore on the Evening Wedding Event.? Fabulous !

:previous:
Fabulous indeed!

v The Tiara of the Princely Family of Wied
Thumbnail image is a cropped portion of a much larger photograph

Attachments

• Wied Tiara 2.jpg
    Wied Tiara 2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 3,062
Aren't there two unmarried Wied-brothers? I'd love to see this beauty on another bride:p!
It has been worn by Princess Christina zu Wied as a bride. I have also seen it worn by Princess Sophie Charlotte. Are there pictures of any other wearers?

The two unmarried Wied brothers are Prince Alexander (b1960) who has autism, and Prince Wolff-Heinrich (b 1979).

This is the only other good (sort of) picture I have of the Wied Tiara.
(Princess Christina, 1996 wedding to Freiherr Wolf-Eckard von Gemmingen-Hornberg)
Thumbnail image cropped from a larger photograph.

Attachments

• Wied Tiara 1.jpg
    Wied Tiara 1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 3,958
Last edited:
The necklace is typical Gloria style,very big and visible! Usually I don´t like such big jewels (and I don´t wear such ostentatious pieces) ,but for her bubbly,joyful personality and character it seems to go well,it reminds me of the ancient Maya/Atztek-sculptures and art. I like the necklace on Gloria,very interesting accessoire:)

I'm devastated :ohmy:! Such a beautiful necklace! Their only tiara! And both with such important historical provenance, descended through generations! The most frequently seen Bavarian tiara will be gone for good.
It really spoils my day.

Last edited by a moderator:
What will soon be "lost".

Princess Ursula of Bavaria's diamond tiara and amethyst & diamond demi-parure

Attachments

• Bavaria Princess Ursula's Diamond Tiara c1900 sold 2013.jpg
    Bavaria Princess Ursula's Diamond Tiara c1900 sold 2013.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2,715
  • Bavaria Princess Ursula's Diamond Tiara.jpg
    Bavaria Princess Ursula's Diamond Tiara.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 3,273
  • Bavaria Princess Ursula Diamond & Amethyst necklace auctioned 2013.jpg
    Bavaria Princess Ursula Diamond & Amethyst necklace auctioned 2013.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,707
What will soon be "lost".

Princess Ursula of Bavaria's diamond tiara and amethyst & diamond demi-parure

I always thought the tiara was horrible. However the necklace is simply breathtaking. What a gorgeous color that is.

Princess Maria von Leiningen wearing a Leiningen family tiara in 1939:

Bigger version of this photo posted in Russian jewels thread...

Princess Feodora von Leiningen,nee von Hohenlohe-Langenburg wearing similar if not the same tiara:

Last edited:
Sotheby's is selling tiara of a German Princess,but didn't say which one:

Any ideas?

Princess Kelly of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha's tiara she wore at Madeleine's wedding was magnificent! I don't have a lot of favorite turquoise tiaras but, this one is one of the best I have seen. Here is another photo of her wearing it.

An enlargement.

The Saxe-Coburg & Gotha Duchess Victoria Adelheid Diamond & Turquoise tiara

Courtesy of and credit to Gert-Jan at RJOTWMB.

Attachments

• Saxe-Coburg Gotha Duchess Victoria Adelheid Diamond & Turquoise tiara.jpg
    Saxe-Coburg Gotha Duchess Victoria Adelheid Diamond & Turquoise tiara.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 2,927
Hello! I've been trying to find some more info on this Greek tiara:
francesca_1.jpg

it's seen here on Princess Sophia's head at an unnamed event: Queen Frederike with her brother George and his wife, Sophia. (Sophia is the first cousin of Pavlos I).
2572395421_85996eaf58_o.jpg

Now all I can find is that Archduchess Francesca at the Crown Prince's wedding in Denmark in 2004.
francesca.jpg

Does anybody have extra info on this delightful emerald wreath?

It's the Emerald Laurel Wreath Tiara, convertible to necklace, today owned by either Archduchess Francesca or her husband Archduke Karl.
The tiara is of Prussian provenance, although probably made in St Petersburg, and was a Silver Wedding gift to the Empress Augusta-Viktoria from her husband, Kaiser Wilhelm II, in 1905.
It passed to their only daughter Princess Viktoria-Luise of Prussia, who maried the Duke of Brunswick, later Head of the Royal House of Hanover.
Following Viktoria-Luise's death the Hanover family sold the tiara at auction and it was acquired by either the Habsburgs or Francesca's father, Baron von Thyssen-Bornemisza.

thank you!

Hi Warren,

thanks for the info! Has anyone come across any pictures/portraits of Augusta Viktoria or Viktoria Luise wearing the tiara/necklace?

I've image-searched tirelessly to no avail.

Hard to judge from an old black and white photo. Diamonds tend not to photograph very well, often appearing dull and flat.
It may have been more impressive when seen in "real life" under the right lighting conditions, when the diamonds were sparkling and glittering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom