German and Austrian Royal and Noble Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad that Baron Thyssen did not buy a great tiara for her daughter Francesca when she marries the Heir of the Habsbourg. She owns actually 2 small bandeau tiaras.

Tilla and Marc thanks for your posts.

I know that she wore an emerald tiara from the Hohenzollern family fopr the Wedding of Margrethe and Henrik in 1067 but when has she wore a sapphire tiara from the Hohenzolern's.
As for their tiaras Fürstin Katharina whore no tiara for the Wedding Ball in Potsdam in 2011. Also the then Hereditary Princess Alexandra wore no tiara at the Wedding Ball of Bernhard and Stephanie of Baden and that was also a white tie occasion.
Princess Birgitta wore the Hohenzollern sapphire tiara at a ball. I assume that it must be sapphires, because I think that it the same which Alexandra Schenk Countess of Stauffenberg at her wedding to Prince Karl-Friedrich von Hohenzollern in 1985.

Princess Birgitta
View image: hohenzollern sapphire birgitta

Countess Alexandra
View image: hohenzollern sapphire alexandra

I don’t know about the wedding in Potsdam, but at that Baden wedding many tiara owning ladies chose not to wear their tiaras, including Pr. Caroline of Hannover (Monaco)!, Princess Sarvath of Jordan, Duchess Elisabeth in Bavaria and others. So maybe Princess Katharina did choose not to wear a tiara for other reasons? Maybe the next generation will start to get married soon. I hope that then some questions will be answered.

Screen caps from the wedding of Marissa Fortescue with Prince Maximilian von Bentheim-Tecklenburg in 2000. The couple now reside in their family castle in Steinfurt. I don’t know anything about this tiara. The Bentheim-Tecklenburg family is usually rather low-profile and I haven’t seen decent pics of other family weddings.

The bride is a niece of Richard Archibald Fortescue, 7th earl Fortescue. So the jewel could also be an English one from the bride’s family.

View image: Bentheim Tecklenburg Marissa1
View image: Bentheim Tecklenburg Marissa2

Last edited:
so i guess there is no picture of a tiara worn by Princess Theodora of Baden nee Princess of Greece and Denmark and sister of Prince Philip the DOE and husband of Queen Elizabeth II of England

She has worn the baden sunburst tiara several times. For example at the Wedding of Princess Ingrid of Sweden and Crown Prince Frederikn of Denmark in 1935.
Here is a pic of Princess Theodora wearing the Baden sunburst tiara at the birthday of King Gustav V of Sweden:
View image: baden theodora star

This pic is from the pre-wedding of Princess Ingrid and CP Frederik of Denmark, she wore the ruby laurel wreath tiara:
View image: baden theodora ruby

These two tiaras are both still owned by the family. Both were worn at the wedding reception of Prince Albert of Monaco and Princess Charlene. Markgräfin Valerie wore the ruby tiara and her daughter-in-law Princess Stephanie wore the sunburst tiara.
View image: baden ruby 2011
View image: baden star 2011

Prince Michael Max of Baden just got engaged and plans to marry this summer. So of course I hope that his bride Christina Hohne will be the next to wear a Baden tiara. Usually the Baden brides wear the sunburst tiara.

The sunburst tiara is a very impressive in that close up. But I must admit, it looks dreadful with that hair style.

Could someone please educate me, I understand that a lot of German as well as other families lost or sold off many of there jewels during or after the wars. By lost, I mean they were taken??? By who? I know the Germans (Nazis) took a lot of stuff, but did they take from there own people?? And why did they loose the right to there titles?? Please forgive me for posting this here if this is wrong. I may have wanted to start a new thread, but did not want to take up space if I did not get any responses.

sesa IIRC the royal families of Germany lost their 'throne' after the end of WW I ...well before the Nazis took control.

ETA: I might be thinking of Russia...let me look that up to be sure!

LaRae

All legal privileges of the nobility were officially abolished in 1919 by the Weimar Republic (1919–1933), and nobility is no longer conferred or recognised by the Federal Republic of Germany, former hereditary titles being allowed only as part of the surname. The system of nobility in the former German Empire was similar to the nobility of Austria, as both territories long belonged to the Holy Roman Empire, although Austria, unlike Germany, legally abolished its nobility and banned use of hereditary titles in any form. (wikipedia)

Ok yep, coincides with the end of WW I

LaRae

The sunburst tiara is a very impressive in that close up. But I must admit, it looks dreadful with that hair style.

Could someone please educate me, I understand that a lot of German as well as other families lost or sold off many of there jewels during or after the wars. By lost, I mean they were taken??? By who? I know the Germans (Nazis) took a lot of stuff, but did they take from there own people?? And why did they loose the right to there titles?? Please forgive me for posting this here if this is wrong. I may have wanted to start a new thread, but did not want to take up space if I did not get any responses.
The families who had psession in the eastern part of Germany (who would become the German Democcratic Republic) often had to flee from the Castles/Estates etc. they still owned in a hurry in 1945. I guess that it was often the case that the could not take all of ther posessioss with them or some of them had not muich later on so they had to sell the Jewels the still owned.

Hy

These two tiaras are both still owned by the family. Both were worn at the wedding reception of Prince Albert of Monaco and Princess Charlene. Markgräfin Valerie wore the ruby tiara and her daughter-in-law Princess Stephanie wore the sunburst tiara.
View image: baden ruby 2011
View image: baden star 2011

What i found interstuing is that at the Wedding Gala in Potsdam later the same year only Maergravine Valerie wore the sunburst tiara but Hereditary Princess Stephanioe wore no tiara.
I believe there is another tiara in the posession of Prince Ludwig. I have once seen a pic of Princess Marianne with another diamond tiara but it was from the 1970's. So no Idea if they still won it.

thank you Pranter and Stefan for your response. I never understood how so much aristocratic/princely family jewels and art ended up in the Nazi hands, but I guess if they had to flee with what they could carry, it makes sense. And I guess it's better to chew on food and have warm clothes and shelter rather than jewels and art!:flowers:

The families who had psession in the eastern part of Germany (who would become the German Democcratic Republic) often had to flee from the Castles/Estates etc. they still owned in a hurry in 1945. I guess that it was often the case that the could not take all of ther posessioss with them or some of them had not muich later on so they had to sell the Jewels the still owned.

Not only in the east did the former royal and noble families loose property, the House of Hesse lost many jewels due to a robbery in the last days of the Third Reich as did many others when the allies invaded their homes. Adding to that many families, as has been mentioned here, had to sell what they had left to be able to support themselves. For instance Princess Alice von Altenburg and her children had to sell the magnificent set of jewels pictured here that had passed through her husbands family from Empress Marie-Louise of France.

Sorry, the set of jewels pictured here*

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1431734398.227288.jpg
    ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1431734398.227288.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,864
  • ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1431734413.640559.jpg
    ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1431734413.640559.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,233
Last edited by a moderator:
I am impressed how the royals of the past wihout any make up and ordinar hairdo wore their tiaras so well. For exemple Princess Theodora wearing the sunburst tiara.

Here is what I think about the loss of German jewels:

After WWI, in 1919, the monarchy was abolished in Germany. As a result the royal and noble family lost their power and official status, but they were allowed to keep their private wealth. All the lands, castles, artworks and jewels were kept and the lifestyle of those families did not change so very much. Keep in mind that WWI was basically fought for foreign territory, so that the castles were still intact.

Sesa, I never heard that much aristocratic jewelry ended up with the Nazis. The mainly Nazis plundered Jewish possession in abominable ways. But aristocratic possessions were kept intact unless the owners were caught for being involved in the resistance.

It was at the end of/after WWII that the Russian occupants systematically looted aristocratic possessions. Lands, castles and artwork in the territories which had become Polish or were now the GDR were confiscated in big style. The previous owners often had fled to the west and were able to bring only few, if any, possessions with them. And what could be saved often was sold later to use the money for building a new life in the west.

Those families whose former territories were in Western Germany were better off, their possessions were not confiscated. But during the bombings some castles were destroyed or damaged, artworks and furniture were sometimes lost as well. Money was needed for survival and later also to rebuild the castles. I imagine that some jewels were sold for that purpose.

The jewel chest of the Hesse family greatly suffered from a theft. Some US army members had discovered hidden boxes of jewels and secretly transported them out of the country. But this was the act of a couple of criminal individuals. They were acting only for themselves and not on orders from their superiors. When they were discovered they were properly prosecuted by the authorities. But only part of the loot was found and could be given back to the proper owners. So this theft was an exception and nothing that happened to many families.

In later years the reasons for selling jewels were the same as in other countries: tax bills, failed investments, debts, expensive repairs of the castles, the wish to finance good education for the children etc. might have lead to jewel sales.

May have lead to jewel sales or sold the diamonds and put fake stones.

Not only in the east did the former royal and noble families loose property, the House of Hesse lost many jewels due to a robbery in the last days of the Third Reich as did many others when the allies invaded their homes. Adding to that many families, as has been mentioned here, had to sell what they had left to be able to support themselves. For instance Princess Alice von Altenburg and her children had to sell the magnificent set of jewels pictured here that had passed through her husbands family from Empress Marie-Louise of France.
This is the first time I ever saw the first picture of Princess Alice with the smaller tiara. So is this an alternative setting for the largest stone in the tiara? It's impressive how even a fraction of the big tiara can make another tiara. Beautiful!

This is the first time I ever saw the first picture of Princess Alice with the smaller tiara. So is this an alternative setting for the largest stone in the tiara? It's impressive how even a fraction of the big tiara can make another tiara. Beautiful!

I must've made a mistake when posting the pictures and not looked more carefully because now as you pointed out it can't be the same tiara. Do you think it's the same jewels though?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Oh, I thought they were the same since you posted them together:sad:. Imo the shape and size of the stones look identical, they could be three of the oval and two of the square emeralds from the big tiara. It wouldn't surprise me if some elements were detachable. But with black and white pictures we can't be sure that they are even emeralds. So it is only an unproven theory.

Yesterday Countess Caroline von Neipperg married Count Philippe de Limburg-Stirum. Actually I don't know if this is the right place to discuss the star tiara of the bride. The lady is french, although the title is German, the groom is from a Belgium family. Since this is not the known tiara of the groom's family I decided to post in the German jewels thread.
Caroline von Neipperg et Philippe de Limburg Stirum - Noces comtales à Saint-Émilion slideshow/

I haven't seen this tiara before and am not sure what it is. Maybe 3 diamonod star brooches set on a frame with some green floral spacing elements between? Or are the green elements part of the tiara? The colour of the green stone looks like neither emerald nor peridot to me. But photos can be deceptive.

Anyway, those old pearl and diamond earings beautiful!

This tiara is a little bizarre i think.

Yesterday Countess Caroline von Neipperg married Count Philippe de Limburg-Stirum. Actually I don't know if this is the right place to discuss the star tiara of the bride. The lady is french, although the title is German, the groom is from a Belgium family. Since this is not the known tiara of the groom's family I decided to post in the German jewels thread.
Caroline von Neipperg et Philippe de Limburg Stirum - Noces comtales à Saint-Émilion slideshow/

I haven't seen this tiara before and am not sure what it is. Maybe 3 diamonod star brooches set on a frame with some green floral spacing elements between? Or are the green elements part of the tiara? The colour of the green stone looks like neither emerald nor peridot to me. But photos can be deceptive.

Anyway, those old pearl and diamond earings beautiful!

Don't think it is a Neipperg tiara. When Count Phuilipp of Neupprg married Paula Wolff a few years agop she wore no tiara and also his sister hemma wore no tiara at her Wedding. perhaps it comes from the Family of the brides mother.

What an awesomely stunning bride! I like the golden embroidery. It looks in nothing to all those boring, ugly strapless gowns in Say Yes To The Dress. These dresses which go aside the usual predicatble path often are the most beautiful.

Look at them, wonderful:

Countess Caroline van Limburg-Stirum née Countess von Neipperg

Princess Philomena d'Orléans née De Tornos y Steinhart

Princess Olga di Savoia-Aosta née Princess of Greece

Congratulations to Philippe and Caroline. I also liked the diadem. It is a normal diamond star diadem but apparently traditional green is added to the base.

Don't think it is a Neipperg tiara. When Count Phuilipp of Neupprg married Paula Wolff a few years agop she wore no tiara and also his sister hemma wore no tiara at her Wedding. perhaps it comes from the Family of the brides mother.
That is a good point. Or it come from the family of the groom's mother. Both bride and groom have unmarried siblings. So we may see this tiara again and learn more about it.

This is the tiara which the Limburg-Stirum family usually wear: View image: limburg stirum

So it seems the Princess Anna of Bavaria and Princess Ursula are wearing new tiaras as well to the wedding today...but I cannot find any closeups....

Princess Anna is wearting the same tiara as at Madeleine's wedding. It originates from her own family, a junior branch of the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburgs and her mother had worn it at the wedding of Anna and Manuel.

Prince Leopold and Princess Ursual auctioned off their Spanish heirloom tiara shortly before Madeleine's wedding. In 2013 Princess Ursula wore a small floral tiara of unknown provenence, and now this strange copy of the Spencer tiara. That makes me believe that they are loans, as they both have never seen before.

Princess Anna is wearting the same tiara as at Madeleine's wedding. It originates from her own family, a junior branch of the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburgs and her mother had worn it at the wedding of Anna and Manuel.

Prince Leopold and Princess Ursual auctioned off their Spanish heirloom tiara shortly before Madeleine's wedding. In 2013 Princess Ursula wore a small floral tiara of unknown provenence, and now this strange copy of the Spencer tiara. That makes me believe that they are loans, as they both have never seen before.

You are the best, thank you! :flowers:

Does anyone know if Princess Uta von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen,daughter in law of Princess Birgitta wore any tiara for the wedding?Her sister in law Princess Desiree wore pearl tiara...

I have only seen her pictures in the pre wedding gala,don't even know if she attended the actual wedding...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom