German and Austrian Royal and Noble Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a tiara!!!!! And these pink topaz stones indeed breathtaking!!!!!

Do you mean Duchess Charlotte of Sachsen-Meiningen, née Princess of Prussia?:flowers:
Charlotte, Prinzessin von Preussen, * 1860 | Geneall.net

I have seen pics of her with two other tiaras. This portrait by Laszlo looks like a sapphire tiara:
View image: Meiningen Charlotte Laszlo

And this photography as well looks like coloured stones.
View image: Meiningen Charlotte 2

Could the parure from your drawing be the same as in the photo? Both tiaras have lolliypops with coloured stones sticking out. On the other hand the lower parts of the tiara look different in both pics. But although the photo only shows the choker necklace clearly, it seems that she also wears a second necklace with big coloured stones, like in the drawing. A fascinating mystery.

You are right, I didn't think about the elder Charlotte. But the pics of the Duchess and the lady on the drawing look so similar, that I assumed it must be the wife of Duke Bernhard III. Also the style of dress in the drawing indicates that the pic is lat 19th century, while the elder Charlotte already died in mid 19th century.

Unfortunately I have never seen a tiara picture of the elder Charlotte, mother of Duke Bernhard III. Does anybody have one?

German and Austrian Royal and Noble Jewels

The commentary sections to those Facebook photos is taken right out of the Gotha. Many old names.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Count Georg von Waldburg-Wolfegg und Waldsee and his bride Anna,Baroness Gyllenkrok:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...553581.-2207520000.1448837898.&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...553581.-2207520000.1448837898.&type=3&theater

Assume it's Waldburg-Wolfegg und Waldsee tiara...
She's a beautiful bride wearing a beautiful tiara! I haven't seen it on other brides in that family, but there are not so many wedding pics available. So who knows?

I wonder if it could be this tiara on the wife of Friedrich Fürst zu Waldburg-Wolfegg und Waldsee. Friedrich von Waldburg-Wolfegg-Waldsee - Wikiwand (scroll down )

It looks a bit different, which might be due to artistic licence in the painting and the artist highlighting that central stone. But since the groom is from a junior branch of the family it would surprise me if his branch of the family still had this major jewel.

She's a beautiful bride wearing a beautiful tiara! I haven't seen it on other brides in that family, but there are not so many wedding pics available. So who knows?

I wonder if it could be this tiara on the wife of Friedrich Fürst zu Waldburg-Wolfegg und Waldsee. Friedrich von Waldburg-Wolfegg-Waldsee - Wikiwand (scroll down )

It looks a bit different, which might be due to artistic licence in the painting and the artist highlighting that central stone. But since the groom is from a junior branch of the family it would surprise me if his branch of the family still had this major jewel.

I thought the same as you...But,on the other hand this branch of the Waldburg family still own and live in Waldsee castle and Wolfegg castle,so I don't think they needed to sell the tiara and might have borrowed tiara to the groom,like some other families have one particular tiara they use for weddings of their family members(Isenburg)...

Last edited:
It is difficult to say which tiaras they own because the family intermarries so much with other noble families. Here are some wedding pics I have from the Waldburg zu Wolfegg und Waldsee family:

Countess Melanie von Khevenhüller-Metsch married Count Hubertus WWW. He is a first cousin of Count Georg (the one from Marc’s pic). The bride’s sister-in-law Countess Stephanie zu Castell-Castell didn’t wear a wedding tiara, so I don’t know which family owns Melanie’s wedding tiara.

Princess Cynthia zu Solms-Hohensolms-Lich married Count Richard WWW wearing a ruby tiara. I haven’t seen this tiara being worn by another lady, so again it could be from both families. But we know that the Solms family has a diamond bandeau which of which Stefan once posted a great pic.

Here is a closer pic of Countess Caroline WWW at her wedding with Prince Philip zu Stolberg-Werningerode. You can see that it has a meander pattern, and as Stefan said above, it’s not a match with the tiara posted by Marc. And again it could be from either family.

To me it looks more like the tiara worn by Princess Elisabeth von Waldburg zu Wolfegg und Waldsee in the portrait.

To me,it looks more like the tiara we have seen in the portrait worn by Princess Elisabeth von WWW...
The links isn't working for me.

As for Princess Cynthia of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich's wedding tiara are it really rubies's. I think it could also be the lighting in the pic. Do we have a wedding pic of her sister Amicie who is married to a Count of Thurn and Valsassina. But their morher is a born Boch-Galhaui the Famkily who owns the Company Villeroy & Bocvh so perhapsd this tiara comes from that Family.

Last edited:
The links isn't working for me.

As for >Pricness 'Cynthia of Solms-Hohensoöms-Lich's wedding tiara are it really rubies's. I think it could also be the lighting in the pic. Do we have a wedding pic of her sister Amicie who is married to a Count of Thurn and Valsassina. But their morher is a born Boch-Galhaui the Famkily who owns the Company Villeroy & Bocvh so perhapsd this tiara comes from that Family.
I think Marc meant the portrait I had posted above.

About Princess Cynthia's tiara it is difficult to say. But all the stones in those little prongs appear red to me. And could that just be a trick of the light when the prongs all catch the ligth from different angles? Anyway, I haven't seen wedding pics from any of her siblings, so there we are: a lot of tiaras that we can't place because we have only one wearer.

Interesting tiara, but I'm not convinced that it is a Waldburg tiara. On Pinterest someone says it's a
Aquamarine and Amethyst Tiara (Borrowed from her mother The Countess of Waldburg and Zeil-Trauchburg); Worn At: Hessian Coronation Ball
but on this blog the info is completely different.
The center of the tiara is two birds of paradise. The stones are set in silver and the tiara is Russian in origin. It was part of a jewelry collection by Mrs. Lily Safra and is on auction at Christies if you’re interested.
I'm not sure how reliable this information is.

Imo the Waldburg-Zeil tiara is completely in diamonds. There is a similarity with the tiara worn by Baroness Anna Gyllenkrok. But the pattern of the stones seems different to me, and I think that the two branches of the family relationship of the two branches of the Waldburg family is too far to share tiaras.

Last edited:
Waldburg-Zeil

Here is a wedding pic of Duchess Gabriele in Bavaria and Prince Georg von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg. I think that this must be the diamond tiara of the Waldburg-Zeil family. It is here worn by their daughter Countess Marie Gabrielle and by their daughter-in-law Mathilde, née Duchess of Württemberg.

And here is another pic of Duchess Gabriele in Bavaria. The caption says it's the wedding, but I think it must be the pre-wedding. The bride is wearing a Bavarian tiara here, this tiara has also been worn several times by Duchess Elisabeth in Bavaria.
Best of News | Getty Images

Sad that Baron Thyssen did not buy a great tiara for her daughter Francesca when she marries the Heir of the Habsbourg. She owns actually 2 small bandeau tiaras.

The second,diamond and pearl bandeau tiara now owned by Archduchess Francesca was previously worn by Regina's paternal aunt,Princess Adelheid of Prussia,nee von Sachsen-Meiningen...

A while ago at some auction,there were portraits of Adelheid wearing this particular tiara,so I assumed it came into Habsburg family through Regina(maybe as part of her dowry) as her father Georg was Adelheid's brother...

Last edited:
That thing is hideous.

LaRae

Indeed this is one of the not all beautiful tiaras. But I am glad that this tiara is still in use and is not lost.

I adore this tiara. I love the design is soo elegant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed this is one of the not all beautiful tiaras. But I am glad that this tiara is still in use and is not lost.

Me too :)

But to think that this tiara was specially designed for Eleonore by Grand Duke Ernst to make a Christmas present is just :bang:

The second,diamond and pearl bandeau tiara now owned by Archduchess Francesca was previously worn by Regina's paternal aunt,Princess Adelheid of Prussia,nee von Sachsen-Meiningen...

A while ago at some auction,there were portraits of Adelheid wearing this particular tiara,so I assumed it came into Habsburg family through Regina(maybe as part of her dowry) as her father Georg was Adelheid's brother...
What puzzles me is that AD Charlotte seems to have worn the same bandeau at her wedding to Duke Georg von Mecklenburg. That made me think that it must be from the Habsburg family. And Princess Adelheid had descendants to leave her jewels to, why would she leave it to Regina? But you are right that Adelheid's bandeau very much looked like that of the Habsburgs.

Maybe Baron Thyssen bought it for his daugher Francesca.
He gave such a lot of jewels too his last wife Tita .

What puzzles me is that AD Charlotte seems to have worn the same bandeau at her wedding to Duke Georg von Mecklenburg. That made me think that it must be from the Habsburg family. And Princess Adelheid had descendants to leave her jewels to, why would she leave it to Regina? But you are right that Adelheid's bandeau very much looked like that of the Habsburgs.

I was puzzled too...

The only answer would be that it could be another tiara which looks very much like this one...

If it is the same tiara,the answer could be that the tiara belonged to their mother and that Adelheid had borrowed it for posing and only after her mother's death in 1948 it came into hands of her brother George and than to Regina...just guessing.

Have you seen this portrait of Adelheid where she wears it?There were two,but one was more visible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom