German and Austrian Royal and Noble Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All three Habsburg aunts (Marie Hélène, baronne de Villenfagne de Vogelsanck, AD Alexandra, AD Constanza) and the brides of two cousins (Estelle de Saint-Romain and Mathilde Vignon) wore the tiara with the peacock motive.

It is very likely that this tiara was also available for children of AD Karl Christian and Princess Marie Astrid. They probably had a choice between a tiara from their father's family and one from their mother's family. And if you ask me, the peacock motive tiara is not half as attractive and flattering as the Luxembourg floral tiara or the GD Adelaide's sapphire tiara. So I understand their choice.

I think that the pearl bandeau that AD Francesca wore at her wedding is from the Habsburg family. At least I think that it has been worn by AD Regina, AD Andrea, AD Charlotte and AD Monika.

Afaik, the emerald laurel tiara that AD Francesca has worn originates from Empress Auguste and was probably purchased by Francesca herself, so this is probably her personal tiara.

Sadly the Habsburg's have very little use for tiaras other than as a brides wedding tiara,how times have changed.

All three Habsburg aunts (Marie Hélène, baronne de Villenfagne de Vogelsanck, AD Alexandra, AD Constanza) and the brides of two cousins (Estelle de Saint-Romain and Mathilde Vignon) wore the tiara with the peacock motive.

It is very likely that this tiara was also available for children of AD Karl Christian and Princess Marie Astrid. They probably had a choice between a tiara from their father's family and one from their mother's family. And if you ask me, the peacock motive tiara is not half as attractive and flattering as the Luxembourg floral tiara or the GD Adelaide's sapphire tiara. So I understand their choice.

I think that the pearl bandeau that AD Francesca wore at her wedding is from the Habsburg family. At least I think that it has been worn by AD Regina, AD Andrea, AD Charlotte and AD Monika.

Afaik, the emerald laurel tiara that AD Francesca has worn originates from Empress Auguste and was probably purchased by Francesca herself, so this is probably her personal tiara.

Archduchess Catharina the daughter of the late AD Rudolph wore aquiet big diamond tiara at her Wedding. But no Idea if was a loan. It wasn't the Wrede tiara worn by her sister-in-law Alexandra.

Last edited:
Archduchess Catharina the daughter of the late AD Rudolph wore aquietbig diamond tiara at herWedding. But no Ideaif was a loan.It wasn't the Wrede tiaraworn by her sister-in-law Alexndra.
That was a beautiful tiara, imo. I think it might be from her husband's family, the counts Secco di Aragona. AD Katharina has three sisters-in-law, and none of them wore a Habsburg tiara: Maria Ana wore a Galitzine tiara from her husband's family, Alexandra of Wrede wore the scroll tiara from her own family, and Maria of Bourbon Sicily wore the diamond button tiara from her own family.

It is sad that the Habsbourg does not have a tiare anymore .
Archichess Regina tiara Wedding is sold, her Sister Ellisabath wore a Bourbon Parme loan.
The 2 Archiduchesses wore a loan of Luxembourg jewels .
Arch Francesca has 2 bandeau tiaras. Perhaps they are hers.

I think that Archduchess Gabriella Maria of Austria, daughter of Archduchess Regina has one tiara for herself.

Here is Archduchess Gabriella wearing it:

https://photos.geni.com/p13/2f/9c/5...rg_ambassador_of_georgia_to_germany_large.jpg

Her daughter Lioba Meister, now Mrs Drummond wore it also for her wedding:

https://www.nettyroyal.nl/style/images/non_pro/specials_weddings_2013_alistair_lioba_03.jpg

https://www.nettyroyal.nl/style/images/non_pro/specials_weddings_2013_alistair_lioba_04.jpg

https://www.nettyroyal.nl/style/images/non_pro/specials_weddings_2013_alistair_lioba_10.jpg

Does anyone know more about the origin of this tiara?

Did Empress Zita of Austria receive any tiaras as gifts?

Thanks to the posters and their pictures.
The Habsbourg have still the pearl bandeau tiara...

Did Empress Zita of Austria receive any tiaras as gifts?
The tiara she wore on her Wedding Day and was later given to AD Regina (who also wore it at her Wedding Day) was a Wedding Gift of Emeror Franz Joseph.

I have never seen it before and it's obviously owned by Archduchess Gabriella, since only she and her daughter Lioba wore it.

I have never seen it before and it's obviously owned by Archduchess Gabriella, since only she and her daughter Lioba wore it.
I have no idea about its origin. The only pictures I've ever seen are those of AD Gabriella and her daughter.
I suppose AD Otto youngest daughter wore a Douglas tiara ?
You are quite right, here is a wedding picture of AD Walburga with the Douglas wedding crown: Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Duchess Eilika of Oldenburg wore the Oldenburg pearl bandeau at her wedding.

What did AD Gabriela wear at her wedding? The picture of her with her gold tiara seems to be from another occasion, given the dark gown. Also, has anybody ever seen a wedding picture of AD Michaela?

You are quite right, here is a wedding picture of AD Walburga with the Douglas wedding crown: Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
So it was the Stjärnorp bridal crown? I was comparing pictures earlier after Maria Olivia posted her question but didn't really believe that it was a match. The crown which is made out of silver and rock crystals was donated to Stjärnorp church by Countess Märtha Catharina in 1781 and comes with a stomacher, hairpins, a brooch, a bracelet and other accessories. The crown is available to parishioners that marry in Stjärnorp church, Vreta Kloster church and Linköping cathedral. It's also available to brides belonging to the Douglas family and can then be worn wherever they choose to marry. Stjärnorp church used to be the palace chapel of Stjärnorp castle which burned down in 1789. The Stjärnorp estate has been in the Douglas family for centuries and the parish priest was appointed by Count Douglas until 1922.

The crown and another piece of the wedding set is visible on this picture of a local bridal couple.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJA8CIqD-gA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited:
I have no idea about its origin. The only pictures I've ever seen are those of AD Gabriella and her daughter.

What did AD Gabriela wear at her wedding? The picture of her with her gold tiara seems to be from another occasion, given the dark gown. Also, has anybody ever seen a wedding picture of AD Michaela?

My guess is that the tiaraw worn by AD Gabrielaand her daughter is a newer piece or a converted necklace. Habe not see an Wedding pic of her so not sure if she wore a tiara and which one. The religious Wedding of AD Michaela took place in Panama so my guess is that she die not wear a tiara for it.

So it was the Stjärnorp bridal crown? I was comparing pictures earlier after Maria Olivia posted her question but didn't really believe that it was a match. The crown which is made out of silver and rock crystals was donated to Stjärnorp church by Countess Märtha Catharina in 1781 and comes with a stomacher, hairpins, a brooch, a bracelet and other accessories. The crown is available to parishioners that marry in Stjärnorp church, Vreta Kloster church and Linköping cathedral. It's also available to brides belonging to the Douglas family and can then be worn wherever they choose to marry. Stjärnorp church used to be the palace chapel of Stjärnorp castle which burned down in 1789. The Stjärnorp estate has been in the Douglas family for centuries and the parish priest was appointed by Count Douglas until 1922.

The crown and another piece of the wedding set is visible on this picture of a local bridal couple.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJA8CIqD-gA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Thank you for this really interesting information. I knew about traditional Swedish bridal crowns, but I didn't know that this particular bridal crown was a donation to the parish.

I know that Princess Johanna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hohenstein and Elisabeth in Bavaria, nee Douglas, also wore the bridal crown. Does anybody have pictures of other Douglas ladies wearing it?

But some more recent Douglas brides chose to wear other tiaras. So Princess Georgina zu Hohenlohe-Bartenstein wore a laurel tiara which seems to be from her family. And Hereditary Princess Christina zu Solms-Hohensolms-Lich, nee Douglas, wore a small diamond tiara which seems to come from the Solms family.

My guess is that the tiaraw worn by AD Gabrielaand her daughter is a newer piece or a converted necklace. Habe not see an Wedding pic of her so not sure if she wore a tiara and which one. The religious Wedding of AD Michaela took place in Panama so my guess is that she die not wear a tiara for it.
Thank you :flowers:
I think that AD Gabriela's tiara is a fairly new piece, made of yellow gold, amethyst and pearls. To me it looks like it wouldn't work as a necklace.

Last edited:
Since all the links I have posted on this forum about Princess Auguste Charlotte Jutta von Mecklenburg-Strelitz were broken, her is one more picture of her wearing jewels again:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/300cd5dace4783f0651aa2ad3fd20dd4/tumblr_p2ezdsOH8A1qzjmo0o1_500.jpg

This time, I was reading her memoirs and identified the jewels.

The tiara was a wedding gift of her father in law King Nicholas of Montenegro.

The necklace was a wedding gift of Sultan Abdul Hamid II of Turkey.

The sunburst brooch and the earrings were a wedding gift from her mother in law Queen Milena of Montenegro.

There was also additional wedding gift, it was diamond necklace from Emperor Nicholas II of Russia, but she hasn't wore it in this picture.

She also said that she got numerous other wedding presents, but that these were the most important, so she mentioned them.

Last edited:
Ita are emeralds. Was this on loan from Cartier?

Right. I mixed emeralds and sapphires. ;) Fixed. ?

I assume it was a Cartier loan for the photo-shoot for Sotheby's catalog. As far as I understood.

Wedding of Alexander Frederick, Prince of Prussia and Honourable Antalya Stephanie Lauren Nall-Cain, daughter of Charles Ronald George Nall-Cain, 3rd Baron Brocket.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/10/02/23/33923382-8800247-image-m-50_1601679195662.jpg

Is the tiara Prussian heirloom or meybe belongs to Lord Brocket's family?
To me Princess Antalya's tiara seems to be a match with this tiara worn by her great-grandmother the second Lady Brocket.

http://www.lemsfordhistory.co.uk/images/Brocket/BH11.jpg

:previous: I agree, that's clearly a Brocket tiara. The design is too unusual to be mistaken.

The British branch of the von Prussia family have a very beautiful diamond tiara that seems to go back to lady Brigid Guinness, the groom's grandmother. His sister, cousin and aunt wore this tiara at their weddings, and this tiara looks completely different from the tiara worn by Antalya.
Von Preussen Tiara | The Royal Watcher

:previous: I agree, that's clearly a Brocket tiara. The design is too unusual to be mistaken.

The British branch of the von Prussia family have a very beautiful diamond tiara that seems to go back to lady Brigid Guinness, the groom's grandmother. His sister, cousin and aunt wore this tiara at their weddings, and this tiara looks completely different from the tiara worn by Antalya.

Thnx for the link.

I know I have seen this tiara, but have completely forgotten about it.

Spot on. Thank you!

I was searching for pictures of Lady Brocket with a tiara, but I couldn't find anything.
Sometimes, quite surprisingly, Google can be your friend.

I can't determine whether is it a cut steel tiara or diamond and pearl tiara?

Good detective work and identification ,one of the Guinness family tiara's the Iveagh Tiara was given to the future Queen Mary as a wedding gift.

I can't determine whether is it a cut steel tiara or diamond and pearl tiara?
What do you think of this wedding pic of Kinga's paternal grandparents, Archduke Felix and Princess Duchess Anna Eugenie of Arenberg?
https://www.gettyimages.de/detail/nachrichtenfoto/wedding-of-archduke-felix-of-austria-to-the-princess-nachrichtenfoto/104419984

I made this enlarged comparison of the tiaras and think that it's a match. But the quality of the 1952 photo is not good enough to be entirely sure.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Looking at the enlargement, I don't think that the tiara has pearls. My thought was the old diamonds were set in silver which has blackened with age. Additionally, the lighting is rather drab due to the overcast weather. I hadn’t thought about cut steel at first, but it’s an interesting possibility. But cut steel tiaras are rare, because most families threw them away when they went out of fashion. I also think that the larger stones, that look a bit like pearls, look so three dimensional. I haven't seen this effect in cut steel tiaras before.

So far, I have seen wedding pics of only three of the seven children of AD Felix and AD Anna Eugenie and none of them wore a tiara. So, it’s a bit of a mystery why this tiara was unseen for so long.

Never saw this Picture , thanks for sharing. This must be an Arenberg ti

Never saw ths Wedding picture. Coulf the bride wear an Arenberg tiara ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom