German and Austrian Royal and Noble Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In any case it is not the same tiara as worn by Alana Bunte at her Wedding last year. Looks like there are three floral buttons.

It also seems different from the one her late sister wore on her wedding day...

However, the family claims 'The tiara and veil have been worn in the bride's family for generations.' So, I guess she is not the first bride in the family to use this tiara.

Last edited:
Lovely! That tiara is an old acquaintance indeed. It has been worn by Fürstin Manni, e. g. at the pre-wedding of her daughter Theresa. Then Princess Theresa wore it as her wedding tiara, as did Princess Gabriela, nee Countess von Schönburg-Waldenburg. I also think that Princess Elisabeth wore it, while I haven't seen a wedding pic of the eldest daughter Princess Marie Yvonne. I think it was also worn by Princess Elisabeth's daughter Isabelle Baroness von Senden (a first cousin of the current bride) in 2001. So yes, it has a tradition as wedding tiara in the family.

The pearl and diamond tiara that has been worn Princess Priscilla, Countess Philippa Spannocchi and Alana Bunte seems to come from Princess Gabriella's family, since seems that it has been worn by her mother Countess Helene von Schönborn-Wiesentheid, nee Thurn und Taxis.

Therefore my conclusion is: the floral tiara originates from the Sayn family and therefore Manni wore it herself and also loaned it to her female-line granddaughter Isabelle von Senden.
The pearl and diamond tiara is the either a Thurn und Taxis piece or a Schönburg-Waldenburg heirloom and is only worn by Gabriella and her daughters and daughters-in-law. So it would have been the other option for Princess Sofia, but she chose granny's tiara.

Last edited:
Great to see this floral tiara as were having a drought this year with no State Visits!

Lovely! That tiara is an old acquaintance indeed. It has been worn by Fürstin Manni, e. g. at the pre-wedding of her daughter Theresa. Then Princess Theresa wore it as her wedding tiara, as did Princess Gabriela, nee Countess von Schönburg-Waldenburg. I also think that Princess Elisabeth wore it, while I haven't seen a wedding pic of the eldest daughter Princess Marie Yvonne. I think it was also worn by Princess Elisabeth's daughter Isabelle Baroness von Senden (a first cousin of the current bride) in 2001. So yes, it has a tradition as wedding tiara in the family.

The pearl and diamond tiara that has been worn Princess Priscilla, Countess Philippa Spannocchi and Alana Bunte seems to come from Princess Gabriella's family, since seems that it has been worn by her mother Countess Helene von Schönborn-Wiesentheid, nee Thurn und Taxis.

Therefore my conclusion is: the floral tiara originates from the Sayn family and therefore Manni wore it herself and also loaned it to her female-line granddaughter Isabelle von Senden.
The pearl and diamond tiara is the either a Thurn und Taxis piece or a Schönburg-Waldenburg heirloom and is only worn by Gabriella and her daughters and daughters-in-law. So it would have been the other option for Princess Sofia, but she chose granny's tiara.

Only strange that Fürstin Gabriella herself did not use the diamond and pearl tiara for her own Wedding but one from her husbands Family
But then the diamond and pearl tiara was also not worn by their daughters for their Wedding's as Princess Alexandra used the Oettingen-Wallerstein tiara for her first Wedding and Princess Felipa a unknown diamond tiara.

Maybe Gabriella wore the Sayn tiara because she married the heir, and Princess Alexandra married the Oettingen heir? But in that respect it is a bit surprising that Princess Priscilla, who married the next heir, didn't wear the Sayn floral tiara, but the Schönborn-Wiesentheid tiara.

I don't now anything about the tiara worn by Princess Philippa, maybe it came from her husband's family?

And then Sunnyi Melles wore another small tiara, which might be the same that Manni wore to the legendary wedding of Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard SWB. But it is not so clearly to see on the few pictures I have seen.

I also think that personal preference always comes into play, and that the bride has a certain choice in case that there are several suitable tiaras. And I'm sure that Princess Sofia could just as well have chosen the pearl and diamond tiara.

Last edited:
Maybe Gabriella wore the Sayn tiara because she married the heir, and Princess Alexandra married the Oettingen heir? But in that respect it is a bit surprising that Princess Priscilla, who married the next heir, didn't wear the Sayn floral tiara, but the Schönburg-Waldenburg tiara.
How do you cme tho think that it is a Schönburg-Waldenburg tiara as they are not related to them. Do you perhaps mix it with Schönborn-Wiesentheid? My guess is that the tiara was made for Fürstin Gabriela's mother Countess Helene of Schönborn-Wiesentehid as it was stated by Prince Casimir and Alana last year that the pearls come from her grandmother Fürstin Margarethe of Thurn and Taixs.

Last edited:
How do you cme tho think that it is a Schönburg-Waldenburg tiara as they are not related to them. Do you perhaps mix it with Schönborn-Wiesentheid? My guess is that the tiara was made for Fürstin Gabriela's mother Countess Helene of Schönborn-Wiesentehid as it was stated by Prince Casimir and Alana last year that the pearls come from her mother Fürstin Margarethe of Thurn and Taixs.
Quite right, I mixed it up:whistling:. (My excuse must be that it was getting late, and the heat wave didn't help either.) I'll correct my post above.

It's quite possible that it was made for Countess Helene, because the tiara doesn't look as if the peal had been added as an afterthought. Also, the design looks like it could be from the 20th century. Maybe it was made for her by Helene's parents, but I call it a Schönborn-Wiesentheid tiara because it seems certain that it was in that family during Countess Helene's life.

It also seems different from the one her late sister wore on her wedding day...

However, the family claims 'The tiara and veil have been worn in the bride's family for generations.' So, I guess she is not the first bride in the family to use this tiara.

This comment sent me down a rabbit hole looking for information, what a tragedy so soon after their wedding day.

I don't always like button tiaras, they can seem very strange to me personally but this one is very pretty.

And then Sunnyi Melles wore another small tiara, which might be the same that Manni wore to the legendary wedding of Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard SWB. But it is not so clearly to see on the few pictures I have seen.

Does anyone have a picture of Sunnyi's wedding to see what tiara she was wearing?

Btw, there is a slight chance that her wedding tiara might have even come from her mother's family. Rohonczy was a noble family which owned several castles, island and a lot of land before the war:

https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohonczy_család

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Oberpullendorf_-_Ehem._Schloss_Rohonczy.JPG

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Castle_on_Biserno_Ostrvo.jpg

Sunnyi's mother Judith von Rohonczy belonged to this family.

Does anyone have a picture of Sunnyi's wedding to see what tiara she was wearing?

Btw, there is a slight chance that her wedding tiara might have even come from her mother's family. Rohonczy was a noble family which owned several castles, island and a lot of land before the war:

https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohonczy_család

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Oberpullendorf_-_Ehem._Schloss_Rohonczy.JPG

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Castle_on_Biserno_Ostrvo.jpg

Sunnyi's mother Judith von Rohonczy belonged to this family.
Sorry for the late answer, but here are finally some pics of the wedding of Prince Peter zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn and Sunnyi Melles in 1993.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Imo, there are similarities between this tiara and the tiara worn previously by Princess Marianne, but the quality of the pics is not good enough to be sure. Many families from Eastern Europe lost their wealth and lands after the war, so it would be amazing if they managed to hold on to a diamond tiara.

Last edited:
Thank you for the pictures.

To me, this tiara looks like the one Princess Marianne wore at the Danish wedding. There is a picture of her chatting with Queen Mother wearing this tiara, so I assume it's a Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn piece.

Wedding of Archduchess Alexandra of Austria-Tuscany and Duke Eugen of Württemberg:

Royal Musings: A Royal Wedding - Alexandra and Eugen

Any idea of what tiara Alexandra is wearing?
I think I can answer this one. To me the tiara looks like the Bulgarian fringe tiara that Tsaritsa Marie Louise received when she married Ferdinand I. It came into the Württemberg family with Princess Nadejda of Bulgaria who married Duke Albrecht of Württemberg. It was worn as wedding tiara by their daughters Duchess Sophie and Duchess Margarethe as well. Most surprisingly, the tiara was even borrowed by Princess Marie Isabelle d'Orléans, whose mother is a first cousin of Duchess Sophie.

Duches Margarethe Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Duchess Sophie Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Well spotted they defiantly look like the very lovely Bulgarian fringe tiara :previous:

I think I can answer this one. To me the tiara looks like the Bulgarian fringe tiara that Tsaritsa Marie Louise received when she married Ferdinand I.

It looks like it :) Thank you for solving the mystery.

It was also the tiara Princess Marie d'Orleans wore on her Wedding Day. It was said a loan of her Cousines.

It was also the tiara Princess Marie d'Orleans wore on her Wedding Day. It was said a loan of her Cousines.

There has been some story which I forgot about her wedding tiara...It should have been an Orleans tiara used, but the bride did not have good communication with her father or something like that and the other tiara was used, which belongs to her mother's family.

Please, correct me if I am wrong...

The Wedding should have been at the Royal Chapel of Dreux..

The Count de Paris Senior paid the wedding Dress.

As far as I remember the Bride did not want her Father coming and the Wedding took place at Wurtenberg Castle.

She did not wear a tiara of the main W but from a minor. The 5 are Childless.

Last edited:
Thank you for refreshing my memory :)

At least she had a tiara to wear in the end.

This one is Prussian really, as far as it's known, but it might be of Russian origin. The "Prussian Bandeau" is a tentative name. It's seen in a painting of Princess Augusta of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, that hangs in the Bow Room at Buckingham Palace. She became Prussia's Queen Consort, later German Empress. Her mother was Russian royalty. It was painted by Winterhalter.
Looks like a very flexible band to me. Possibly convertible as a choker?
https://royal-collection.fandom.com/wiki/Prussian_Bandeau_Tiara

Beautiful tiara but unfortunate hairstyle on her for it. She needs more bulk around her neck. A low chignon would have looked much better. It all looks unbalanced as she is so slim, with a long slim neck, hair all scraped back, and large tiara on top.

Beautiful tiara but unfortunate hairstyle on her for it. She needs more bulk around her neck. A low chignon would have looked much better. It all looks unbalanced as she is so slim, with a long slim neck, hair all scraped back, and large tiara on top.

But she wore it better then her cousin Marie Gabrielle did on her Wedding Day

I really liked the placing of the tiara and to me the placing of the chignon didn't bother me. Imo, the important thing is that this tiara is placed at an angle, so that it frames the face beautifully. Marie Gabrielle de Nassau wore it more horizontally and very much to the front, which looked a bit awkward to me.

It is sad that the Habsbourg does not have a tiare anymore .
Archichess Regina tiara Wedding is sold, her Sister Ellisabath wore a Bourbon Parme loan.
The 2 Archiduchesses wore a loan of Luxembourg jewels .
Arch Francesca has 2 bandeau tiaras. Perhaps they are hers.

It is sad that the Habsbourg does not have a tiare anymore .
Archichess Regina tiara Wedding is sold, her Sister Ellisabath wore a Bourbon Parme loan.
The 2 Archiduchesses wore a loan of Luxembourg jewels .
Arch Francesca has 2 bandeau tiaras. Perhaps they are hers.

Actually there is still a tiara in the line of AD Carl Ludwig which was worn by the 2 paternal aunts of Gabriella at their Weddings. It seems now to belong to AD Rudolph as it was rown by some of his daugther-in-laws at their Weddings.

The 2 Archduchesses (Aunts) wore their Mother Yolanda de Ligne Tiaras
The 2 daughters of Marie Astrid wore their Mother Luxembourg Tiaras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom