German and Austrian Royal and Noble Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if they are close friends who simply lend the tiara or if it is rented. But taking a tiara out of a safe will mean an additional insurance perhaps which can be costly.

Well, Prince Gustav and Carina live in Berleburg Castle which is only 7.5km away from Castle Schwarzenau where Prince Bernhart lives, so maybe it's the easiest and simplest way to pass the tiara if needed without much fuss.

Last edited:
I have no idea but as it was made in Berlin an association with the Prussian RF or court is likely.

It is not a very expensive but a pretty piece. Affordable for the king of Belgium, whose daughter will soon turn 18.

It really looks like the Hanover tiara. Every detail seems to fit, in my eyes.

The Berlin jewelers were probably much more renowned than those in the more provincial Hanover. And the political and social live drew many aristocrats to the capital. So it makes sense that other families than the Prussians bought their jewels in the capital at the time. Only, the Hanover family were pretty anti-Prussian up until the wedding of Prince Ernst-August with Princess Viktoria-Luise of Prussia in 1913.

How lovely to see this beautiful tiara again! Apparently it's the same tiara that Princess Maria Antonia von Sachsen-Gesaphe wore for her wedding in 2017. Back then it was reported that it was a loan from Princess Antonia von Thurn und Taxis, who was the bride's godmother. Princess Antonia is a first cousin of Prince Philipp von Thurn and Taxis' father.
https://royal-magazin.de/german/thurn-taxis/taxis-laurel-leaf-tiara-wreath-lorbeerblatt-diadem.htm

This picture is from the wedding ball of Duchess Sophie von Würtemberg, who got married last year. Btw, it's the Cambridge lovers knot tiara! The descendants of Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge sold it at auction, and the late Prince von Waldburg-Zeil bought it for his wife.

True, the descendant who last owned the tiara was Princess Augusta Charlotte Jutta von Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Crown Princess of Montenegro, who was granddaughter of Augusta, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, nee Princess of Great Britain, daughter of Duchess Augusta of Cambridge. She had to sell her jewels to support her life in exile.

As I understood, at some point it was bought by Prince Georg von Waldburg-Zeil zu Trauchburg for his wife, Princess Marie Gabrielle of Bavaria.

How lovely to see this beautiful tiara again! Apparently it's the same tiara that Princess Maria Antonia von Sachsen-Gesaphe wore for her wedding in 2017. Back then it was reported that it was a loan from Princess Antonia von Thurn und Taxis, who was the bride's godmother. Princess Antonia is a first cousin of Prince Philipp von Thurn and Taxis' father.
https://royal-magazin.de/german/thurn-taxis/taxis-laurel-leaf-tiara-wreath-lorbeerblatt-diadem.htm

Thank you for this link. I knew I have seen the tiara somewhere before, but couldn't remember where and when.

True, the descendant who last owned the tiara was Princess Augusta Charlotte Jutta von Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Crown Princess of Montenegro, who was granddaughter of Augusta, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, nee Princess of Great Britain, daughter of Duchess Augusta of Cambridge. She had to sell her jewels to support her life in exile.

As I understood, at some point it was bought by Prince Georg von Waldburg-Zeil zu Trauchburg for his wife, Princess Marie Gabrielle of Bavaria.

I also heard that it could be the same Lovers Knot tiara as worn by rajmata Mehtab Kaur of Patiala

I am not anywhere near as informed about these as you guys are. So, is this the same Lover's Knot tiara that Princess Diana wore? It's so beautiful.

I am not anywhere near as informed about these as you guys are. So, is this the same Lover's Knot tiara that Princess Diana wore? It's so beautiful.

No, the tiara Diana wore was made by Queen Mary as a copy of this very tiara(tiara her aunt Augusta inherited from her mother, Queen Mary's grandmother, Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge).

That's good news about the religious wedding.:flowers:

I'm sure that Priscilla Inisa della Rochetta wore the same wedding tiara as Felipa Spannochi. Also, I think that Fürstin Gabriela wore it at the first wedding of Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. So this tiara must definitely be a Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn tiara.

Sorry for posting this again, it's a question from another thread, but I think it's more appropriate here.

Countess Philippa Spanochi and Donna Priscilla wearing this tiara at their wedding:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bd/c3/57/bdc35735d71675d2dab09ab50389a91c.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c9/87/c8/c987c89ca854d5d87291a3ab40c4e00d.jpg

This tiara was worn by the mother of Princess Gabriela zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, Princess Helene von Thurn und Taxis, so it could be either Thurn und Taxis or Schönborn-Wiesentheid inheritance. The photo was taken by me at Sayn castle.

https://ibb.co/8MXkPKR

As we can see in the picture "...ember 1969" one might guess or assume that the picture was taken at pre-wedding ball in magnificent Castle Weißenstein which still belongs to Gabriela's Schönborn-Wiesentheid family and was held on 29th of September 1969.

Here is a link to the castle where the Sayn/Schönborn religious wedding was held:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schloss_Weißenstein

So, if Princess Helene wore this tiara before/during the wedding it would strongly suggest that the tiara was inherited by Gabriela through her mothers or fathers family(Thurn und Taxis or Schönborn-Wiesentheid) and thus came into Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn family possession after her death.

Last edited:
I agree, the pearl and diamond tiara must have come to the Sayn family through Princess Gabriela's family.

That also explains, why none of her sisters-in-law wore this particular tiara. Most of them wore the bandeau with the three floral elements. And there is also a niece, Isabelle von Senden, who wore this bandeau at her wedding. I think that the bandeau can also be worn as a necklace, and Fürstin Manni wore it for the wedding of Princess Benedikte, together with another small diamond bandeau in her hair. Is there anything else known about that small bandeau?

I agree, the pearl and diamond tiara must have come to the Sayn family through Princess Gabriela's family.

That also explains, why none of her sisters-in-law wore this particular tiara. Most of them wore the bandeau with the three floral elements. And there is also a niece, Isabelle von Senden, who wore this bandeau at her wedding. I think that the bandeau can also be worn as a necklace, and Fürstin Manni wore it for the wedding of Princess Benedikte, together with another small diamond bandeau in her hair. Is there anything else known about that small bandeau?

Which one, the one with 3 floral elements or the one she wore at Princess Benedikte's wedding?

There is a picture of Princess Manni talking to Elizabeth, the Queen Mother where one can see bandeau she wore also from the side.

Which one, the one with 3 floral elements or the one she wore at Princess Benedikte's wedding?

There is a picture of Princess Manni talking to Elizabeth, the Queen Mother where one can see bandeau she wore also from the side.
I have seen the floral bandeau on Fürstin Manni, Countess Gabriela wore it for her wedding, as did Princess Elisabeth, Princess Theresa and Isabelle von Senden. The latter wore it in 2001, so we can assume that this tiara is still in the family.

About the other bandeau, the one from Princess Benedikte of Denmark's wedding, I don't know anything. I haven't seen it worn by any other lady. Or could it be, that Sunnyi Melles wore a different version of it for her wedding? But to me, these bandeaus didn't look the same. That's why I'm particularly curious about this one.

About the other bandeau, the one from Princess Benedikte of Denmark's wedding, I don't know anything. I haven't seen it worn by any other lady. Or could it be, that Sunnyi Melles wore a different version of it for her wedding? But to me, these bandeaus didn't look the same. That's why I'm particularly curious about this one.

Do we have any good pictures of the tiaras in question?

I have seen just some small ones from which nothing could be concluded.

Do we have any good pictures of the tiaras in question?

I have seen just some small ones from which nothing could be concluded.
No, I don't have any good pics of them, there seem to be none around.

But Prince Casimir of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn got married to Alana Bunte today, and the Daily Mail has some great pics. No doubt, the bride wore the diamond and pearl tiara we discussed above, the one that probably came into the family through Fürstin Gabriele. In these pic you can appreciate what a lovely little tiara this is, very wearable and appealing, imo.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...nd-fairytale-wedding-12th-century-castle.html

:previous:A very lovely necklace and such a dainty brooch! Fürstin Gabriela also wore them (together with the tiara) at the wedding of Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Count Jefferson von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth in Gråsten.
Thank you for sharing your photos, Stefan. :flowers:

In an exclusie Intervie to german magazine Gala Prince Casimir and Princess Alana told that the tiara is an Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn heirloom and that the center pearl on Top once belonged to Fürstin Margarethe of Thurn and Taxis.

Last edited:
In an exclusie Intervie to german magazine Gala Prince Casimir and Pricness Alana told that the tiara is an Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn heirloom and that the center pearl on Top once belonged to Fürstin Margarethe of Thurn and Taxis.

Thank you for the information. :D Any link to the interview?

:previous:A very lovely necklace and such a dainty brooch! Fürstin Gabriela also wore them (together with the tiara) at the wedding of Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Count Jefferson von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth in Gråsten.
Thank you for sharing your photos, Stefan. :flowers:

Any pictures of Gabriella from that event?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom