The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-15-2015, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

1. Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge had a tiara with this famous Lover's Knot motive. That's the Lover's Knot Tiara that Vincent talked about on the RJMB. The one that was sold at auction and bought by the Waldburg-Zeil's. This one I call Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara because it actually has a connection with the former Duchesses of Cambridge.
  2. There is a Bavarian Lover's Knot tiara, this one originates from the Bavarian Royal Family and is now exhibited in the treasury in Munich.
  3. Queen Mary liked the tiara of her aunt, the Duchess of Cambridge, and ordered a similar tiara for herself. This is the one which Diana famously wore. It was often falsely called 'Cambridge ...Tiara', but it has nothing to do with the former Duchesses of Cambridge. The better name would be Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara.
I hope that I'll find more time tonight to post some pictures.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Now I understand , thanks Tillia
Madame la Comtesse de Paris's grand daughter will wear this tiara.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Here are some pictures:
Bavarian lover's knot tiara exhibited in the treasury in Munich
Queen Therese of Bavaria, wife of King Ludwig I
Queen Amalia of Greece, born Princess of Bavaria
Princess Antonia of Bavaria, born Princess of Luxembourg

Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge (grandmother of Queen Mary)
Augusta, Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (daughter of the above)
Fürstin Marie von Waldburg zu Zeil und Trauchburg

Old 09-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

An old engraving of Princess Victoria (daughter of Queen Victoria) and her husband Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Prussia: Engraved portrait of Princess Victoria, daughter of Queen Victoria,... Nachrichtenfoto | Getty Images

I wonder if the jewels are depicted in a realistic way, or if there is artistic licence. I haven't seen the floral tiara before, but then there are not many pics of this princess.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Majesty

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Württemberg Pink Topaz Tiara

This tiara is incredibly breathtaking. The stones and design are exquisite as well as the rest of the parure. One of my all time favorites.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:13 AM
Heir Apparent

What a tiara!!!!! And these pink topaz stones indeed breathtaking!!!!!
Old 11-20-2015, 09:23 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Charlotte of Prussia,nee of Saxe-Meiningen wearing an interesting parure:

http://image.invaluable.com/housePho...-L84202686.jpg
Old 11-21-2015, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Do you mean Duchess Charlotte of Sachsen-Meiningen, née Princess of Prussia?
Charlotte, Prinzessin von Preussen, * 1860 | Geneall.net

I have seen pics of her with two other tiaras. This portrait by Laszlo looks like a sapphire tiara:
View image: Meiningen Charlotte Laszlo

And this photography as well looks like coloured stones.
View image: Meiningen Charlotte 2

Could the parure from your drawing be the same as in the photo? Both tiaras have lolliypops with coloured stones sticking out. On the other hand the lower parts of the tiara look different in both pics. But although the photo only shows the choker necklace clearly, it seems that she also wears a second necklace with big coloured stones, like in the drawing. A fascinating mystery.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Do you mean Duchess Charlotte of Sachsen-Meiningen, née Princess of Prussia?
Charlotte, Prinzessin von Preussen, * 1860 | Geneall.net
Her mother-in-law was also a Charlotte, and also a born Princess of Prussia. And she never became Duchess as she died before her husband became Duke.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

You are right, I didn't think about the elder Charlotte. But the pics of the Duchess and the lady on the drawing look so similar, that I assumed it must be the wife of Duke Bernhard III. Also the style of dress in the drawing indicates that the pic is lat 19th century, while the elder Charlotte already died in mid 19th century.

Unfortunately I have never seen a tiara picture of the elder Charlotte, mother of Duke Bernhard III. Does anybody have one?

Old 11-29-2015, 07:09 PM
Serene Highness

Count Georg von Waldburg-Wolfegg und Waldsee and his bride Anna,Baroness Gyllenkrok:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Assume it's Waldburg-Wolfegg und Waldsee tiara...
Old 11-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Courtier

German and Austrian Royal and Noble Jewels

The commentary sections to those Facebook photos is taken right out of the Gotha. Many old names.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-30-2015, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
Count Georg von Waldburg-Wolfegg und Waldsee and his bride Anna,Baroness Gyllenkrok:

Assume it's Waldburg-Wolfegg und Waldsee tiara...
She's a beautiful bride wearing a beautiful tiara! I haven't seen it on other brides in that family, but there are not so many wedding pics available. So who knows?

I wonder if it could be this tiara on the wife of Friedrich Fürst zu Waldburg-Wolfegg und Waldsee. Friedrich von Waldburg-Wolfegg-Waldsee - Wikiwand (scroll down )

It looks a bit different, which might be due to artistic licence in the painting and the artist highlighting that central stone. But since the groom is from a junior branch of the family it would surprise me if his branch of the family still had this major jewel.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
She's a beautiful bride wearing a beautiful tiara! I haven't seen it on other brides in that family, but there are not so many wedding pics available. So who knows?

I wonder if it could be this tiara on the wife of Friedrich Fürst zu Waldburg-Wolfegg und Waldsee. Friedrich von Waldburg-Wolfegg-Waldsee - Wikiwand (scroll down )

It looks a bit different, which might be due to artistic licence in the painting and the artist highlighting that central stone. But since the groom is from a junior branch of the family it would surprise me if his branch of the family still had this major jewel.
I thought the same as you...But,on the other hand this branch of the Waldburg family still own and live in Waldsee castle and Wolfegg castle,so I don't think they needed to sell the tiara and might have borrowed tiara to the groom,like some other families have one particular tiara they use for weddings of their family members(Isenburg)...
Old 11-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

The only Waldburg-Wolfegg tiara i rember to have seen is the one worn by Countess Caroline of Waldburg zu Wolfegg and Waldsee at her first Wedding to Fürst Philipp zu Stolberg-Wernigerode in 2001. But it is a different one then then one worn by Baroness Anna.
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/see...oline+waldburg
Old 12-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

It is difficult to say which tiaras they own because the family intermarries so much with other noble families. Here are some wedding pics I have from the Waldburg zu Wolfegg und Waldsee family:

Countess Melanie von Khevenhüller-Metsch married Count Hubertus WWW. He is a first cousin of Count Georg (the one from Marc’s pic). The bride’s sister-in-law Countess Stephanie zu Castell-Castell didn’t wear a wedding tiara, so I don’t know which family owns Melanie’s wedding tiara.

Princess Cynthia zu Solms-Hohensolms-Lich married Count Richard WWW wearing a ruby tiara. I haven’t seen this tiara being worn by another lady, so again it could be from both families. But we know that the Solms family has a diamond bandeau which of which Stefan once posted a great pic.

Here is a closer pic of Countess Caroline WWW at her wedding with Prince Philip zu Stolberg-Werningerode. You can see that it has a meander pattern, and as Stefan said above, it’s not a match with the tiara posted by Marc. And again it could be from either family.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:12 AM
Serene Highness

To me it looks more like the tiara worn by Princess Elisabeth von Waldburg zu Wolfegg und Waldsee in the portrait.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
To me,it looks more like the tiara we have seen in the portrait worn by Princess Elisabeth von WWW...
The links isn't working for me.

As for Princess Cynthia of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich's wedding tiara are it really rubies's. I think it could also be the lighting in the pic. Do we have a wedding pic of her sister Amicie who is married to a Count of Thurn and Valsassina. But their morher is a born Boch-Galhaui the Famkily who owns the Company Villeroy & Bocvh so perhapsd this tiara comes from that Family.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The links isn't working for me.

As for >Pricness 'Cynthia of Solms-Hohensoöms-Lich's wedding tiara are it really rubies's. I think it could also be the lighting in the pic. Do we have a wedding pic of her sister Amicie who is married to a Count of Thurn and Valsassina. But their morher is a born Boch-Galhaui the Famkily who owns the Company Villeroy & Bocvh so perhapsd this tiara comes from that Family.
I think Marc meant the portrait I had posted above.

About Princess Cynthia's tiara it is difficult to say. But all the stones in those little prongs appear red to me. And could that just be a trick of the light when the prongs all catch the ligth from different angles? Anyway, I haven't seen wedding pics from any of her siblings, so there we are: a lot of tiaras that we can't place because we have only one wearer.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Serene Highness

Maybe this is also Waldburg tiara?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/345792077614277693/

It looks a bit similar to the one in portrait...not exact,but...

Tags
austrian, german, jewellery