German and Austrian Royal and Noble Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, thanks for pointing out the Arco-Zinneberg ruby parure. That parure is so rarely seen, that I only knew the pics from the pre-wedding of Guillaume and Stéphanie. So this lady would be Countess Maria Theresia, née Countess of Preysing-Lichtenegg-Moos? Or her senior sister-in-law, Countess Eugenie?

Based on the pictures I have seen in her senior years I would say that it is Countess Maria Theresia...

The Arco Zinneberg are tremendous Rich. They have 6 daughters and one is dating the young handsome Prince Napoléon.

Interesting tiara worn by Countess Elisabeth von Clary und Aldringen at her wedding to Count Nikolaus Henckel von Donnersmarck:

Hôtel Haute Société, The wedding of Count Nikolaus Henckel von...

Anything about this tiara?Is it Clary und Aldringen or Henckel von Donnersmarck piece?
I have never seen this tiara before. Also I have only seen wedding pic from two of the groom's relative: His aunt Princess Maria Adelaide of Luxembourg wore a Luxembourg tiara, and his cousin's bride Princess Johanna of Hohenberg wore the Hohenberg tiara. So I don't know if the Henckel von Donnersmarck's still have a family tiara. And of the bride's family I know nothing at all. So it could be a jewel from either family.

I have never seen this tiara before. Also I have only seen wedding pic from two of the groom's relative: His aunt Princess Maria Adelaide of Luxembourg wore a Luxembourg tiara, and his cousin's bride Princess Johanna of Hohenberg wore the Hohenberg tiara. So I don't know if the Henckel von Donnersmarck's still have a family tiara. And of the bride's family I know nothing at all. So it could be a jewel from either family.

Well,Henckel von Donnersmarck family is/was very rich so I assume they have still something left in their vaults...remember,the most expensive tiara sold in an auction was Henckel von Donnersmarck diademe...

I assume that also the bride's family also has something left as Clary und Aldringen was a Princely family that has been mediatized...They were among heirs of the vast wealth of the famous General,Prince Kutuzov...

So,this could be either Henckel or Clary tiara...

I have seen wedding picture of Count Leo-Ferdinand Henckel von Donnermarck(1935-2009) and Anna Maria von Berg(born in 1940),father and mother of Count Florian Henckel von Donnermarck,Oskar winning German film director...

The picture is of low quality and one can't see clearly but she could be wearing the same tiara as Countess Elisabeth in the link above,so I assume that it could well be Henckel piece of jewelry...

Princess Elizabeth of Thurn and Taxis wore the family emerald tiara for a photo for Vogue. She also wore a couple of bracelets, some rings and possibly an emerald and diamond choker, but it's hard to see. See the photo here - Link

*picture courtesy of vogue.com

Last year the Dutch/German Roderick graaf zu Castell-Rüdenhausen married at the beautiful Twickel Castle in Delden (in the East of the Netherlands, see picture) with Ms Elizabeth Alexandra Lotgering.

The bride wore a 19th C diamond diadem from the Castell-Rüdenhausen family. See picture. On August 7th 2015 the couple got one son: Alexander Christian Frederik graaf zu Castell-Rüdenhausen. Their son was the first "delivery" at Twickel Castle in 323 years (!). The last "delivery" was Unico graaf van Wassenaer-Obdam (2 November 1692).

The late Duchess Donata wore a huge tiara at the Evening of her Son's Wedding.
Her family owns 2 tiaras ,

Henckel von Donnersmarck

I have seen wedding picture of Count Leo-Ferdinand Henckel von Donnermarck(1935-2009) and Anna Maria von Berg(born in 1940),father and mother of Count Florian Henckel von Donnermarck,Oskar winning German film director...

The picture is of low quality and one can't see clearly but she could be wearing the same tiara as Countess Elisabeth in the link above,so I assume that it could well be Henckel piece of jewelry...
That sounds interesting. Where did you find the pic? There are awfully few wedding pics of the Henckel von Donnersmarcks around.

While the sale of the gorgeous emerald tiara well documented, I don't know what happened to other tiaras of the family. Eg. the family had or has a waterfall tiara which looks very similar to the waterfall tiara of the famous GD Vladimir. View image: waterfall tiaras

Last edited:
Thurn und Taxis emerald tiara

Princess Elizabeth of Thurn and Taxis wore the family emerald tiara for a photo for Vogue. She also wore a couple of bracelets, some rings and possibly an emerald and diamond choker, but it's hard to see. See the photo here - Link

*picture courtesy of vogue.com
Well, she is Gloria's daughter, isn't she? :lol: And isn't her hair comparatively tame ?: View image: tnt gloria emerald

Last year the Dutch/German Roderick graaf zu Castell-Rüdenhausen married at the beautiful Twickel Castle in Delden (in the East of the Netherlands, see picture) with Ms Elizabeth Alexandra Lotgering.

The bride wore a 19th C diamond diadem from the Castell-Rüdenhausen family. See picture. On August 7th 2015 the couple got one son: Alexander Christian Frederik graaf zu Castell-Rüdenhausen. Their son was the first "delivery" at Twickel Castle in 323 years (!). The last "delivery" was Unico graaf van Wassenaer-Obdam (2 November 1692).

The diadem worn by Eluizabeth Lodgering at her Wedding is no Castell-Rüdenhausen tiara. I read somewhere after the wedding that it belonmgs to the Twickel inheritance.

The diadem worn by Eluizabeth Lodgering at her Wedding is no Castell-Rüdenhausen tiara. I read somewhere after the wedding that it belonmgs to the Twickel inheritance.

Well,as Castell family now owns the estate,is it safe to say that the diadem is now theirs,as long as they are the owners of the castle?

That sounds interesting. Where did you find the pic? There are awfully few wedding pics of the Henckel von Donnersmarcks around.

While the sale of the gorgeous emerald tiara well documented, I don't know what happened to other tiaras of the family. Eg. the family had or has a waterfall tiara which looks very similar to the waterfall tiara of the famous GD Vladimir. View image: waterfall tiaras

I found it in my files,don't know exactly from where...I guess it was from danjel's site that doesn't exist anymore,but I can't be sure...

The picture is very bad,so one can't guess is it the same tiara,but it could be:

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/auersperg21/media/henck_zpsywbuffdr.jpg.htmlhttp://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/auersperg21/henck_zpsywbuffdr.jpg

Wedding picture of Count Leo-Ferdinand Henckel von Donnermsmarck and Anna Maria von Berg.

Btw,Anna Maria von Berg is a great-granddaughter of Prince Edzard von Innhausen und Knyphausen...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read the same. Yet, apart from the Twickel tiara there must be still some more tiaras in the family:
- small spikey tiara worn by Countess Olga on her wedding with Prince Dominik of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenborg in 2012
- the large diamond tiara last seen on Duchess Donata at the Prussian wedding in 2011
- diamond wedding tiara of Countess/Princess/Duchess Donata
- and another diamond tiara worn by Fürstin Irene on a pic Marc23 has posted before: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...yal-and-noble-jewels-1621-14.html#post1719564

I assume that at least the first two tiaras are still in the family, since they have been worn fairly recently.

Well,as Castell family now owns the estate,is it safe to say that the diadem is now theirs,as long as they are the owners of the castle?

The Estate is not owned by the Castell-Rüdenhausen but by a special foundation created by the last owner Baroness mechtild ban Heeckeren vabn Waqssenaar. So my guess is that the tiara is also owned by this foundation.

I have read the same. Yet, apart from the Twickel tiara there must be still some more tiaras in the family:
- small spikey tiara worn by Countess Olga on her wedding with Prince Dominik of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenborg in 2012
- the large diamond tiara last seen on Duchess Donata at the Prussian wedding in 2011
- diamond wedding tiara of Countess/Princess/Duchess Donata
- and another diamond tiara worn by Fürstin Irene on a pic Marc23 has posted before: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...yal-and-noble-jewels-1621-14.html#post1719564

I assume that at least the first two tiaras are still in the family, since they have been worn fairly recently.

Wonder if in the last pic posted by marc it is really a tiara worn by Fürstin Irene or some sort of head ornament. It looks like the pics was made at a day occasion.
I have laways wondered about the tiara worn by then Countess Donata at her first Wedding. Undfortunately it can not be seen very good in the pics because there is a myrtle ior something like this behind. Perhaps it was made of some of the remains of the prussian clover Coronet.

I thought if the wedding tiara might be the one worn by Fürstin Mechtild in this portrait:
http://www.vriendenvantwickel.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Castell-op-Twickel-3.jpg
Volle zaal bij Voorjaarlezing Van Rüdenhausen naar Twickel | Vrienden van Twickel

To me it seems to be the same peacock-like central motive, but it is difficult to say because of the veil, myrtle, hair, etc. Also I wonder if Carola Hintzen wore the same tiara for her wedding with Count Christian. But again the picture quality is too blurred to be sure.

I thought if the wedding tiara might be the one worn by Fürstin Mechtild in this portrait:
http://www.vriendenvantwickel.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Castell-op-Twickel-3.jpg
Volle zaal bij Voorjaarlezing Van Rüdenhausen naar Twickel | Vrienden van Twickel

To me it seems to be the same peacock-like central motive, but it is difficult to say because of the veil, myrtle, hair, etc.

Could well be although the Wedding tiara doesn't look as high. I havbe made a collage with both pics to compare:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/royal-europe/Donata-Mexchthild_zpszjwmmp2g.jpg

I thought that the tiara is sinking quite deep into Donata's hair, while it is sitting high on top of Mechtild's hair and is possibly supported by fake hairpieces.

I thought that the tiara is sinking quite deep into Donata's hair, while it is sitting high on top of Mechtild's hair and is possibly supported by fake hairpieces.

Ithink the same...also think that it is a same tiara :)

The Estate is not owned by the Castell-Rüdenhausen but by a special foundation created by the last owner Baroness mechtild ban Heeckeren vabn Waqssenaar. So my guess is that the tiara is also owned by this foundation.

So,the Castell family only has the right to use the estate and the Castle...including tiara which is part of the foundation?

So this lady would be Countess Maria Theresia, née Countess of Preysing-Lichtenegg-Moos? Or her senior sister-in-law, Countess Eugenie?

Here is a link showing Countess Maria Theresia von Arco-Zinneberg,just for the comparation:

Familienchronik 5 | Arcobräu

She is wearing pearl necklace,earrings and an interesting broch...

Twickel Tiara / Castell-Rüdenhausen

So,the Castell family only has the right to use the estate and the Castle...including tiara which is part of the foundation?
I think that's about it. Count Roderick and his family have the right to live in the castle and work the estate, but they are also obliged to preserve the cultural and natural heritage of it.

So maybe, as long as the Castell-Rüdenhausens are custodians of the estate, it might be defined as a CR tiara. But the use is probably restricted to the family that resides in Twickel.

I think that Count Roderick has still two unmarried siblings. It will be interesting to see if the tiara will be used again, if and when they get married.

Henckel von Donnersmarck

I found it in my files,don't know exactly from where...I guess it was from danjel's site that doesn't exist anymore,but I can't be sure...

The picture is very bad,so one can't guess is it the same tiara,but it could be:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/auersperg21/henck_zpsywbuffdr.jpg

Wedding picture of Count Leo-Ferdinand Henckel von Donnermsmarck and Anna Maria von Berg.

Btw,Anna Maria von Berg is a great-granddaughter of Prince Edzard von Innhausen und Knyphausen...
Mmh... difficult to tell. It really could be the same tiara, but one can't be sure. This blurred quality is quite typical for pics from older magazins.

It's really a pity that Danjel's site was closed down, it was such a treasure.

The Henckel von Donnersmarck family has sold quite a number of tiaras. The famous emerald tiara was first sold in 1979, the waterfall diamond tiara and another diamond tiara were auctioned in 2007. There can't be so many tiaras left.

Interesting Information by Vincent Meylan on the Royal Jewels MB. He says the Lovers Knot tiara worn by Fürstin Marie Gabriele of Waldburg z Zeil and Trauchburg is the orginal Cambrdige Lovers Kniot tiara. it was known that it was inherited by Grand Duchess Augusta of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and after her by her granddaughter Crown Pricness Militza of Montenegro, née Duches Jutta of Mecklenburg. It was sold at an auction in the 1990's

I have often wondered what had happened to the 'real' Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara. It seemed to have vanished without trace from the Mecklenburg family. And I had always thought that the Bavarian family still had access to the tiara in the treasury, maybe they had loaned it to the museum with the right to retrieve it to wear at times?
But this new information really makes sense, because the Waldburg tiara looks much more like the Mecklenburg/Cambridge tiara than like the Bavarian lover’s knot. The pearls in the Bavarian tiara are much smaller, and the outline of the tiara is lower and less pointed. That’s exciting information indeed!

Tilia have a look to Vincent's thread on GREMB.

I think they are 2 Cambridge over's Knot tiaras ?? But am not sure ; One in the Munich Museum and another worn by the actual Fürstin ???

Tilia have a look to Vincent's thread on GREMB.

I think they are 2 Cambridge over's Knot tiaras ?? But am not sure ; One in the Munich Museum and another worn by the actual Fürstin ???

Ther Lovers Knot tiara in the Teasure of the Resiedenz in Munich has nothing to with the Cambridge's. It was made in the 1820's for Queen Therese of Bavaria.
As the Fürstin of Waldburg zu Zeil and Trauchburg is a born Princess of Bavaria it was previously often thought that she has worn this one.

Last edited:
  1. Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge had a tiara with this famous Lover's Knot motive. That's the Lover's Knot Tiara that Vincent talked about on the RJMB. The one that was sold at auction and bought by the Waldburg-Zeil's. This one I call Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara because it actually has a connection with the former Duchesses of Cambridge.
  2. There is a Bavarian Lover's Knot tiara, this one originates from the Bavarian Royal Family and is now exhibited in the treasury in Munich.
  3. Queen Mary liked the tiara of her aunt, the Duchess of Cambridge, and ordered a similar tiara for herself. This is the one which Diana famously wore. It was often falsely called 'Cambridge ...Tiara', but it has nothing to do with the former Duchesses of Cambridge. The better name would be Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara.
I hope that I'll find more time tonight to post some pictures.

Now I understand , thanks Tillia
Madame la Comtesse de Paris's grand daughter will wear this tiara.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom