Favourite Royal Tiaras 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is a shame because this tiara is simply gorgeous :wub:

I agree with Thomas. The BRF should set up a foundation for all the jewels in their possession to prevent the loss of them through death and divorces. If the jewels are not a personal expense or was given as a gift, it should stay with the family and not be given away. Most of the BRF tiaras and jewelry have such a long and illustrious history that it's such a shame that they're being separated from the family that they are most associated with. It dilutes their historic importance.

Madame Royale said:
Which is a shame because this tiara is simply gorgeous :wub:
I too think it is one of the most beautiful tiara's I have seen (in photo's). It looks like something an "Ice Princess" or "Nordic Queen" would look absolutely fabulous and totally regal in.:wub:

MoonlightRhapsody said:
.....Most of the BRF tiaras and jewelry have such a long and illustrious history that it's such a shame that they're being separated from the family that they are most associated with. It dilutes their historic importance.
If you look at the tiara's gifted to Diana, Sarah & Sophie on their respective marriages, I think you will find they were all recent acquisitions with no BRF historical value whatsoever. :w00t:

MoonlightRhapsody said:
The BRF should set up a foundation for all the jewels in their possession to prevent the loss of them through death and divorces.
That which belonged to the BRF and on loan to Diana was returned either upon divorce or death, or entailed upon her sons. The BRF, and more importantly, the Queen herself, does not squander the wonders of the royal vaults as whimiscal gifts. You had better believe that no-one is getting away with the family jewels! :winkiss:

The BRF has no need of a family foundation. The keys to the Royal vaults are locked that tight that no-one outside of the family (senior) even knows whats in there any more. And Her Majesty is not saying!:ROFLMAO:

Makes you think though, when you consider the jewels we have seen, just what is locked away there. :w00t2:
As for the Poltimore.... it too was acquired just for Princess Margaret and had no BRF history. ;)

The tiara given to Diana (the Cambridge lovers' knot tiara) does have some history behind it, but Sarah's and Sophie's don't seem to be tiaras anyone had seen before. However, the Cambridge lovers' knot tiara wouldn't have been given to Diana as her private property to just sell on a whim, just as the choker from the Delhi and Cambridge emerald parure wouldn't have been just handed over as a personal gift for her to sell or break up if she wanted to - the fact that it was part of a parure indicates that the gifts were to the future Queen and not just to Lady Diana.

Warren said:
Tiara List
Poltimore (gone)
Teck Rose and Crescent
Teck Circlet necklace, convertable to a bandeau tiara
Papyrus
Persian Turquoise
Diamond Scroll
Strathmore Rose
Diamond Lozenge
Empress Maria Feodorovna Diamond and Sapphire bandeau tiara

The last two haven't been sighted for decades, and there may or may not be others we aren't aware of. Some of those in the list may have been loans from her mother which passed to the Queen on the Queen Mother's death, along with most of the QM's collection.
Did those fabled and mysterious vaults beneath Buckingham Palace require a significant expansion in 2002? :D

I think we can safely assume that anything with provenance from Queen Mary or beyond flew back to the vaults.

I will point out that you did, dear Warren, leave out one tiara! :ohmy: The Snowdon Floral Tiara was last seen in its entirity at Lady Sarah's wedding. However Sarah has worn portions of it as brooches at her mother & grandmothers funerals.
I assume that Sarah inherited this piece & Linley got the Poltimore which he sold earlier this year.

The Diamond Scroll Tiara was also worn by Pincess Anne in the 60's/early 70's so it probably belongs to the Queen and i think the Strathmore Rose tiara was last seen worn by the Queen Mother as Duchess of York in the 20's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diana's family: the Spencers had 2 tiaras this one is the second one, she did not like to wear it, don't know why.

Ah, OK. I can understand...it doesn't really look like her. I wonder why they don't display the Spencer tiara she usually wore. I doubt any of the Countesses Spencer have worn it since her death.

MARG said:
If you look at the tiara's gifted to Diana, Sarah & Sophie on their respective marriages, I think you will find they were al. recent acquisitions with no BRF historical value whatsoever. :w00t:

With the exception of Diana's, that's true. However, Diana's does have past royal ties prior to it being given to Diana as a wedding present/

That which belonged to the BRF and on loan to Diana was returned either upon divorce or death, or entailed upon her sons. The BRF, and more importantly, the Queen herself, does not squander the wonders of the royal vaults as whimiscal gifts. You had better believe that no-one is getting away with the family jewels! :winkiss:

The current queen may not squander the jewels, but there is nothing preventing future kings and queens from giving them away.

MoonlightRhapsody said:
The current queen may not squander the jewels, but there is nothing preventing future kings and queens from giving them away.

I hope the Queen gives out her personal jewells also to her other children, the York princesses, Princess Anne, and the Wessex's. Cammila will get the state owned peices, to be passed onto the next heir's wife, but the other royals also deserve a dip in the golden (or rather diamond) bucket.

I was under the impression that the Cambridge Lover's Knot was only on loan to Diana and had not been given to her. Does anyone know if it is the possession of her son's (like her engagement ring is) or if it has been put back on ice (forgive the pun)?

Also, can one of the more knowledgeable members (*ahem* Warren :) ) tell me if the tiara worn very curiously by Lady Frances Armstrong Jones at her recent wedding is the Snowden Floral? I couldn't really tell. Thanks!

kimebear said:
I was under the impression that the Cambridge Lover's Knot was only on loan to Diana and had not been given to her. Does anyone know if it is the possession of her son's (like her engagement ring is) or if it has been put back on ice (forgive the pun)?

The Cambridge Lover's Knot was given to her as a wedding present. Upon her death, it is now in the possession of one of her sons, though I can't remember which one has it, probably Harry.

It was on loan to her and would have gone back to the Queen.

Last edited:
kimebear said:
Also, can one of the more knowledgeable members tell me if the tiara worn very curiously by Lady Frances Armstrong Jones at her recent wedding is the Snowden Floral? I couldn't really tell. Thanks!
It's hard to tell as it's worn in an odd shape. It may be a series of brooches or hair ornaments, or a partially-dismantled tiara, or a combination of all three.
Here's a pic from Old, New, Royal & Blue, posted by Ayvee.

I think it looks like a series of brooches/partially dismantled tiara (as tiaras can sometime be dismantled into brooches, necklace, etc. It looks beautiful and original!

For some reason I really like that second Spencer family tiara--I bet it would look great on a high updo. It also looks like you could easily separate top from bottom and have two moderately sized tiaras. Hey, two diamond tiaras for one price (one really really LARGE price) would work for me!:flowers:

auntie said:
I hope the Queen gives out her personal jewells also to her other children, the York princesses, Princess Anne, and the Wessex's. Cammila will get the state owned peices, to be passed onto the next heir's wife, but the other royals also deserve a dip in the golden (or rather diamond) bucket.

It seems a more recent trend of purchasing new (as well as antique) pieces such as tiaras for ladies of the more extended royal family who are not in the direct succession. I would assume that Beatrice and Eugenie, for example, will either inherit soully the pieces of their mother, or will receive new (or even borrowed) tiaras from the sovereign for their weddings.

Well, no direct female descendent of QEII has been married since Princess Anne's second wedding in 1992 and she definitely was given tiaras from the vault for her use during royal engagements (although not her weddings). Hopefully "Granny" will part with some of the family treasures for her own granddaughters weddings when Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise marry. Especially Beatrice and Eugenie as their titles have been the subject of much debate and most likely they will be expected to carry out more royal duties than their female cousins.

Last edited:
btsnyder said:
Does anyone know what tiara this is? The article makes it sound like it's the one Diana is wearing in the photograph behind it, but that is the lovers knot and the one on the pillow clearly is not. What's up?

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/16/Tbt/Crowning_glory.shtml
Whoever wrote the article clearly doesn't know anything about tiaras -- the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara is definitely not the one on display. (Obviously, the writer doesn't belong to this forum!)

hsh1969 said:
Diana's family: the Spencers had 2 tiaras this one is the second one, she did not like to wear it, don't know why.
I think that the Spencers may have a third tiara, I saw a photo elsewhere which claimed that the tiara had been owned by Marie Antoinette. It was a very delicate piece and the frame looked like it was made of gold.

iowabelle said:
I think that the Spencers may have a third tiara...
I can't help with the third tiara, but here's a better image of the other Spencer tiara: Spencer Honeysuckle Tiara

I'm not sure that the design of this piece necessarily works, but the elements are interesting in themselves, and some of the diamonds are quite substantial.

Warren said:
I can't help with the third tiara, but here's a better image of the other Spencer tiara: Spencer Honeysuckle Tiara

I'm not sure that the design of this piece necessarily works, but the elements are interesting in themselves, and some of the diamonds are quite substantial.

I really don't care for this tiara, it is a far cry from the one Diana used to wear. I loved that one. :flowers:

Warren said:

I recall reading an article back in the 1980's regarding this particular tiara that said the top portion (fleur de lys) is detachable, and the bottom portion can be worn either as a bandeau or with the top portion intersected with the meander design. There was a photo of the tiara with the fleurs intersected with the meander keys. I'll have to see if I can find that article among my files. This is not the same one as the Marie Antionette tiara. There is also another tiara, that Diana's mother wore to her wedding to Viscount Althorp, but I'm not sure if that is a Spencer piece or if it belonged to the Fermoy's.

I would guess that Diana never wore it because she had the loan of the heart and scroll tiara and this one was kept for the other ladies of the family.

Thanks to this thread, I picked up the Munn Tiara book, and WOW! Mouthwatering! Thank you for the recommendation, tiara-lovers!

Chiyo said:
Thanks to this thread, I picked up the Munn Tiara book, and WOW! Mouthwatering! Thank you for the recommendation, tiara-lovers!

I received my copy too, Chiyo.

Tiaras: A History of Splendor is the book to have for all royal watchers. The Fife tiara, page 123, is my favorite along with the Boucheron tiara on page 159.

:)

iowabelle said:
I think that the Spencers may have a third tiara

I'm not sure if its the one you mean but Munn pictures a tortoishell & amytheyst tiara owned by the Spencers. The shell is very dark and it would have worked wonderfully with the purple velvet gown & amythyst jewellery that Diana wore.

Elspeth said:
It's a real treat, isn't it?:king:
It is! I used to have this book: http://tinyurl.com/yx2y5b

but it was stolen when my car was broken into a few years ago and I never got around to replacing it. I was sorely feeling the loss of having jewels around to drool over when bored.

GlitteringTiaras said:
The Fife tiara, page 123, is my favorite along with the Boucheron tiara on page 159.
I like both of those, and the Portland Cartier tiara on 109 is a new favorite of mine.

edit: Here's a link to the Portland tiara: http://news.webshots.com/photo/2018971490056005517JPDHKl

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=portlandxn5.jpg
And here's a full-size picture of the Portland tiara! This is my new desktop background. :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom