Empress Farah Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mandy

Majesty
Country
United States
Farah Diba's coronation crown.

Attachments

• FarahDibaCrown1.jpg
    FarahDibaCrown1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 4,550
Farah's favorite Tiara

This tiara was designed by Harry Winston, the New York jeweller, for the occasion of the marriage of Empress Farah and Reza Shah Pahlevi in 1958. It was considered to be Farah's favorite tiara, since she was often seen wearing it on formal occasions, such as her on visit to the United States and Canada in 1965.

The lower band containing diamonds which is shaped like a heart, is built of platinum. There are two rows of yellow, pink and clear diamonds on top of it. There are seven large emeralds framed by diamonds on very top of the tiara.

The gems used in this tiara are a combination of the old and new. The brilliant-cut diamonds were probably re-cut in the 19th century from loose Indian diamonds which were in the treasury. The emeralds are probably from South America, though they were cut sometime before Nader Shah's campaign in India. The diamonds surrounding the emeralds are probably from South Africa.

The largest emerald, located in the center of the top row, is 65 cts. and the smallest ones on the ends of the row are 10 cts. each. The two largest diamonds are approximately 15 cts. each.

Attachments

• 06_farah_tiara.jpg
    06_farah_tiara.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 7,866
Noor-ol-Ain Tiara

The centerpiece of this tiara is the Noor-ol-Ain diamond, which is one of the largest pink diamonds in the world. The diamond may have been brought from India, along with the Sea of Light diamond. The diamond is set in platinum, and is surrounded by pink, clear and yellow diamonds. The Noor-ol-Ain is a brilliant cut, almost tear shaped diamond of approximately 60 cts.; the other diamonds range from 14 to 19 cts. each.

The tiara was designed by Harry Winston for the occasion of the Empress Farah's wedding to the the last Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi, in 1958.

Attachments

• 17_noor_ain_tiara.jpg
    17_noor_ain_tiara.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 6,700
Coronation necklace

A diamond and emerald necklace made by Van Cleef & Arpels for the Coronation. The necklace, mounted in platinum and gold, is composed by an enormous engraved hexagonal emerald, mounted in pendant and surrounded by diamonds of old cut, of four big square emeralds and five smaller ones, (all surrounded by diamonds), four hanging pear pearls and eleven yellow diamonds of very good size.

Attachments

• farahnecklace.jpg
    farahnecklace.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 3,772
Farah coronation evening jewelry

1) A beautiful demi-parure created by Van Cleef & Arpels for HIM The Shahbanou of Iran, which she wore on the evening of Coronation Day. The outstanding necklace consists of seven square yellow diamonds surrounded by old-cut diamonds from which hang seven pear shaped diamonds.

2) The matching earrings

Attachments

• yellow.jpg
    yellow.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,290
  • yellow1.jpg
    yellow1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 5,901
Emerald parure

Attachments

• iranIsmallemeraldparure.jpg
    iranIsmallemeraldparure.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,935
Pics from Point de Vue and Paris Match

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 3,464
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 11,564
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,417
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 100,786
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 17,957
more jewels.........

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,495
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 2,121
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,514
Thanks, all the pics are very god.
I just ask my self why she don't wear a tiara when she can?I belive she have the right to wear.

To who belong all this jewels?

I think jewels wore by Her Imperial Majesty belonged to the Malli Bank, not the Empress, can you confirm that, please?
Sol

I never get tired of looking at the Noor-ol-An tiara. One of the most stunning pieces of jewelry ever IMO. As far as what Farah can and cannot wear, IIRC the Imperial state regalia and jewels were the ones in the bank, and that other pieces were considered as personal property. I think in her book she mentioned that when the family left Iran, they took some jewels with them. Having to rely on my memory but I thought that was what had occurred.:confused:

Last edited:
People who have never seen these pieces must be shocked to see them for the first time... that´s what I experiened:eek:

I think they are a little ostentatious. Does anyone have any pictures of her in those gaudy crowns/tiaras?

The tiaras she's wearing in the pictures are way prettier I think.

Jewels

I think Her Majesty the Shahbanou onlu wore tiaras in some special events. In normal acts, even representing the Kingdom of Iran, she wore normal. Thanks for the answer about who is/was the owner of this marvellous jewels.
Sol

DDD said:
People who have never seen these pieces must be shocked to see them for the first time... that´s what I experiened:eek:
yeah indeed, at the first time I saw them in one of Iranian website I found them all as really stunning jewellery. The emerald peacock tiara (post 603) is my favourite one. I've never find another tiara which can replace it as my favourite.:D

Ok

Oh, yes, I din't realise myself ... this is splendorous tiara, I think now is in Iran, at Melli Bank
Sol

La la said:
I think they are a little ostentatious. Does anyone have any pictures of her in those gaudy crowns/tiaras?

The tiaras she's wearing in the pictures are way prettier I think.
I think that the Shah might be to blame for some of the jewels' "gaudiness"
He loved to show off his wealth, whether it was through extravagant parties or equally extravagant jewels for his wives and the women in his family.

Your love for the late Shah is ever so obvious. :D I hope to visit Bank Melli where those jewellries are on display and tour around their former palaces that are museums now if I ever make it to Iran.

Question

Do you know if a non reigning queen can wear tiaras in social events?

Thanks

sol_anglada said:
Do you know if a non reigning queen can wear tiaras in social events?

Thanks
Yes, non reigning queens wear tiraras at social events. For exemple, ex Queen Anne-Marie of Greece wears a tiara at royal galas.

I have also wondered why the Shahbanou has not worn a tiara since she has been living in exile.

To Mandy

I just post the question because I have never seen Her Imperial Majesty the Shahbanou Farah of Iran wearing tiaras after she had to leave her homeland. I hope the Shahbanou wears a tiara soon ...
Sol

Mandy said:
Yes, non reigning queens wear tiraras at social events. For exemple, ex Queen Anne-Marie of Greece wears a tiara at royal galas.

I have also wondered why the Shahbanou has not worn a tiara since she has been living in exile.
I'm guessing that she does not have any tiaras of her own anymore:(

Wow! the empress used to have magnificent jewelry especially her Noor-ol-Ain tiara, pity that we don't see those master pieces any more.

Right

Yes, you are right, but remember that all the jewells worn by Her Majesty belonged to the State of Iran and were at Malli Bank.
Sol

I thought that the turquoise parure belonged to the Empess?

Jewells

Isabel said:
I thought that the turquoise parure belonged to the Empess?
Well, this is wht I readand of course must believe. Appart from that in some interviews the Shahbanou has said that she expressely didn't bring any jewel with her when she left Iran.
Sol

Back
Top Bottom