Duchess of Windsor Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since part of the reason why Edward had to abdicate was that morganatic marriage doesn't exist in England, it wasn't legal to saddle him with a morganatic marriage once he'd abdicated. Wallis was entitled to the HRH under the 1917 Letters Patent, and there was nothing in those Letters Patent to justify the nonsense about how HRH only applied to royals in the line of succession. As a son of George V, Edward was HRH, line of succession notwithstanding, and as the wife of an HRH, Wallis was entitled to the same style. As with so many other cases, I think the truth is somewhere between the extremes of "it was all Wallis's fault" and "she and Edward were simply victims," and we have a thread for the discussion in the British forum.

Wallis certainly knew how to wear impressive jewellery, although I must say I think a lot of her jewels look very dated nowadays regardless of the fact that they were cutting-edge fashion at the time. I don't care for the gigantic pieces of costume jewellery that she wore, and I wonder whether she'd have indulged in that stuff if she'd been Queen Consort, but some of her genuine gems were beautiful. I don't much like emeralds as a rule, but her engagement ring was a spectacular piece of work.

Let's just say that history has not been kind...........
As for the engagement ring--I believe it was about 20 carats of Mogul emerald set in platinum---any photos?

Do a google search for Duchess of Windsor images and you should be able to find many photos of their wedding. more than one will show the ring on her finger. You can also check the Sotheby's catalog of her jewels auction, or the Jewels of the Duchess of Windsor book that was released after the sale. This book has many photos of the jewelry, as well as the pre and post sale amounts for each peice. Wonderful books!!!!

Never too rich or too thin

Like her or not she remains inthe Hall of Fame of the best dressed women of all time.She is listed both on Blackwell's lists and E Lambert's lists.
Her costume jewellery was by none other than Kenneth Jay Lane and the pieces look classic on her as I have a photograph of her and Edward as done by Karsh and she is wearing significant sized earringsby KJL and they look spectacular.Her black hair against her pale skin and blue eyes made her look like a Chinese figurine. I have no problem with her huge jewellery pieces as today no one can afford those hence they do not wear them.Politics aside Wallis had the greatest figure of all the women around. She was skinny and impeccably groomed and all those beautiful clothes fit & flattered her and she knew herself well. For instance I noticed that she did not wear a plethora of hats but unusual brooches and the lines of her clothes would be considered Armaniish today as she was ahead of her time in clean and classic lines. A piece of jewellery I covet that is Duchess of Windsorish is the bracelet with the innumerable crosses that she wore on her wedding day in the Wallis blue gown made especially by Mainbocher. The Duchess looked specatacular in white.... I remember when she went to visit Nixon and she stole the show......I loved her in Norell and I have a PDV where she is wearing a gown of his on the cover with pleats across the bodice and what appears to be KJL Egyptian jewellery in gold . It looks like you could sport it to any event today without a problem, timeless. Cannot say that about about the Queen Mum or even Diana.
Wallis had it on everybody regarding taste. She had impeccable taste.Unlike Evita Peron who also had impeccably flamboyant taste but no figure Wallis had the package.And I have to agree with her saying " never too rich or too thin" it speaks of then and now and is a witty comment.

Last edited:
I love that bracelet of crosses. There seems to be room for a couple more too; the spacing isn't quite regular. I hope it went to an appreciative home after the auction.

I've seen photos of her wearing ruby jewellery that was sold before her death because it wasn't in the auction. I'd love to see a better photo of it, preferably in colour, but the ruby necklace she wore so often that was auctioned was very unusual and elegant.

I remember the auction of the jewels when she died. Prince Charles, in the early part of the marriage, tried to buy the diamond Prince of Wales brooch/pendant for Diana, but was outbid by Elizabeth Taylor. At least I assume it was for Diana and not for Camilla!:D

I remember the auction of the jewels when she died. Prince Charles, in the early part of the marriage, tried to buy the diamond Prince of Wales brooch/pendant for Diana, but was outbid by Elizabeth Taylor. At least I assume it was for Diana and not for Camilla!:D

I have the catalog it's fantastic!!

Also Jaya wonderful post.

That was a rumor printed in the newspapers, but it was never confirmed that Charles tried to buy the POW feathers for Diana. Given his grandmother's hostile feelings towards The Duchess, I highly doubt he would purchase such a famous brooch for his wife's collection.

Remember Princess Michael of Kent was given several valuable pieces of jewelry over the years by The Duchess after her marriage. She was told in no uncertain terms by The Queen's lady-in-waiting not to wear those pieces in the presence of The Queen or The Queen Mother.

Since part of the reason why Edward had to abdicate was that morganatic marriage doesn't exist in England, it wasn't legal to saddle him with a morganatic marriage once he'd abdicated. Wallis was entitled to the HRH under the 1917 Letters Patent, and there was nothing in those Letters Patent to justify the nonsense about how HRH only applied to royals in the line of succession. As a son of George V, Edward was HRH, line of succession notwithstanding, and as the wife of an HRH, Wallis was entitled to the same style.

All true, but unfortunately, the Government agreed with the King it was best to find a loophole to deny her royal rank anyway. After extensive research of the matter, the conclusion was the style was within the gift of The Sovereign and had been granted in the past to those members of the royal family in direct line to the succession.

Given that Edward had abdicated and returned to private life, George VI was within his rights as The Sovereign to issue new letters patent, obviously superseding his father's, in which The Duke was allowed to continue to be HRH, but it was explicitly denied to his wife and children, if any. Obviously, the reasoning being the Abdication represented an extraordinary breach in the line of succession, in which Edward had voluntarily reliniquished his rights, and those of his descendants, in the Act of Abdication to any claim to the throne.

Last edited:
Calvin Klein's ex to sell collection of Wallis' fabulous jewels

Bidders will have a chance to take home a piece of royal history next month when jewels once belonging to the Duchess of Windsor are auctioned in London. The collection's current owner, Kelly Klein - former wife of American designer Calvin Klein - is hoping the jewellery will fetch up to £1.5 million.

Highlights of the collection - which the designer bought for £100,000 as a gift to his wife during their 20-year marriage - include a pearl pendant necklace and a pair of Noir et Blanc pearl earrings.

Pictures:

The Duke and Duchess of Windsor

1950s Cartier natural pearl and diamond pendant

Stunning single strand pearl and diamond necklace

Natural pearl and diamond necklace originally from the collection of Queen Mary

Noir et Blanc pearl and diamond earclips, by New York jeweller Van Cleef & Arpels

Does anyone have any information on or pictures of her famous Cartier Cats?

There is a Cartier exposition of the jewels of The Duchess of Windsor in Madrid at the city's Calle Serrano. The exposition already began this week and runs until 23 November. After The Duchess died, it says, the jewels were originally made by and then acquired by Cartier at auction at Sotheby's after her death in 1986. The jewels are interesting. They have 12 pictures that show mostly brooches, plus a ring, and some pics of the Duchess wearing the pieces. She had a tiger brooch and a panther brooch, and a dog brooch. She liked animals, I suppose. :D
Las emblemáticas joyas de los Duques de Windsor se exponen en Madrid

Last edited:
On the site above, there is a picture of The Duchess with a Tiara (or diadem). I guess she was entitled to wear one, but does anyone know if she really owned any?

On the site above, there is a picture of The Duchess with a Tiara (or diadem). I guess she was entitled to wear one, but does anyone know if she really owned any?

I don't believe that is a genuine photo - I think it is a mock-up. I've never seen that tiara before and it certainly was not illustrated in the original sale catalogue of her jewels.

The Duke gave her a small diamond tiara/hairpiece, made by Cartier and seen in a few early photos, as a wedding gift and a convertible piece, with diamonds and Indian-cut emeralds, that she wore a few times as well.

Apparently, The Duke was informed his brother, George VI, objected to seeing The Duchess photographed with a tiara, as she was not a Royal Highness, and she never wore either piece again.

Most likely, they were reset into other pieces made for The Duchess over the years by Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpel in Paris.

Does anyone have a photo of that piece or of her wearing it?

The Duke gave her a small diamond tiara/hairpiece, made by Cartier and seen in a few early photos, as a wedding gift and a convertible piece, with diamonds and Indian-cut emeralds, that she wore a few times as well.

Apparently, The Duke was informed his brother, George VI, objected to seeing The Duchess photographed with a tiara, as she was not a Royal Highness, and she never wore either piece again.

That's petty beyond belief, not that I'm surprised, given how Wallis's very existence offended George VI and especially Queen Elizabeth. Tiaras weren't (still aren't, but even more so back then when they were more popular) reserved for royal ladies, so the notion that the Duchess wearing a tiara (and a very small one at that) was so offensive is ridiculous. Honestly, would that pair stop at nothing to send petty insults in Wallis's direction? If they were really so bothered about seeing her photographed wearing that particular tiara, which was little more than a headband when all's said and done, they had a perfectly viable remedy: stop looking at photos of her. Not exactly rocket science.

Apparently, The Duke was informed his brother, George VI, objected to seeing The Duchess photographed with a tiara, as she was not a Royal Highness.
That reasoning by George VI (if true) is patently absurd. Since when were tiaras restricted to HRHs? Perhaps his wife should have introduced him to Mrs Greville. :D

Most likely, they were reset into other pieces made for The Duchess over the years by Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpel in Paris.

If this is true about George VI "objection" to Wallis wearing a tiara, the only thing more sad than the "objection" is the suggestion that Wallis & David succumbed to it. Why on earth would they care that his brother didn't like to see pics of Wallis wearing a tiara because she was not an HRH? Anyway, she should have been HRH because she was married to an HRH. Simple as that. But there I go again.... I am honestly not a great fan of Wallis by herself,but I like David a lot and since he loved Wallis, I accept her completely. :cool:

I agree that tiaras are hardly restricted to the HRH club. Good point, Warren, about Mrs. Greville! Really! :lol:

Magnificent Pearls from the Collection of Kelly & Calvin Klein

Please follow this link to the Sotheby’s site that was sent to me today. A short video on her pearl necklace that belonged to Queen Mary. It is well worth it.

Lisa Hubbard explores the history and allure of the legendary natural pearls worn first by The Duchess of Windsor and most recently by Kelly Klein.
View the video online

Last edited by a moderator:
Head ornament

This is a ling to the Duchess wearing her sapphire and diamond bracelet her emerald engagement ring and a diamond head ornament-thou not the looped one, I’m still looking!

64 photos in the life of the Duke & Duchess

www.viewimages.com/Search.aspx?mid=3097408...

Last edited:
I am pretty certain that the piece is real

I think that one's paste. It was sold in the auction of the contents of their home rather than in the separate auction of her jewellery. Not that it's a cheap bit of trash or anything - it fetched a few thousand dollars if I remember right.

It was one of several costume jewelry pieces designed by Kenneth Jay Lane for The Duchess in the 60's. All of the real jewels were included in the auction after her death.

Al-Fayed purchased the remaining contents of the Villa from her estate after assuming the lease from the City of Paris, which were eventually auctioned off once he decided to buy the house from the City and live in it.

Last edited:
That reasoning by George VI (if true) is patently absurd. Since when were tiaras restricted to HRHs? Perhaps his wife should have introduced him to Mrs Greville. :D
I think the truth is that a person has to have the Monarch's "permission" to wear anything that has to do with regallia. Who and when do people wear tiaras today? They are worn at state events and besides the royal family also nobles wives wear tairas when coming. This code of ettiquette applies also to all kinds of orders and honours etc. bestsowed or belonging to men. Ie if a man gets an honoury "chain"(i'm not sure what the right word is) he has to, at least acc. to Jeoffery Archer obtain the monarch's permission to wear it to state events and banquets where the monarch will attend. When would Wallis have worn one, in a restraunt or at a fashion show? She wasn't invited to any state events...Maybe to lunch with Hitler and Goebells...:eek:

A tiara isn't "regalia" or an honour. A tiara is simply a jewelled head ornament, and the Monarch's permission isn't required to wear one.

I think the truth is that a person has to have the Monarch's "permission" to wear anything that has to do with regallia. Who and when do people wear tiaras today? They are worn at state events and besides the royal family also nobles wives wear tairas when coming. This code of ettiquette applies also to all kinds of orders and honours etc. bestsowed or belonging to men. Ie if a man gets an honoury "chain"(i'm not sure what the right word is) he has to, at least acc. to Jeoffery Archer obtain the monarch's permission to wear it to state events and banquets where the monarch will attend. When would Wallis have worn one, in a restraunt or at a fashion show? She wasn't invited to any state events...Maybe to lunch with Hitler and Goebells...:eek:

I believe that is incorrect. There are families all over the UK and Europe who have owned tiaras for generations; if what you're saying is true then a bride would need the monarch's permission to wear a tiara on her wedding day. I hardly see that happening.
And, Wallis did have an emerald bead hair ornament that could classify as a tiara; I suppose she could have worn it whenever she wanted.

Back
Top Bottom