Duchess of Windsor Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KJL made many costume pieces for the richest ladies in the world. There was the famous anecdote about someone admiring a piece that Elizabeth Taylor was wearing. The person asked ET' Is it from Kenny Lane?' the response was 'No Dear. Richard Burton' (NOT costume).

It was Audrey Hepburn, who asked Liz.

Wallis Simpson yellow/pink diamond mirror image earrings

At a LeVian trunk show yesterday I modeled beautiful yellow and pink diamond drop earrings that were described to me by the company representative as having been a gift from the Duke to his wife with an interesting story. Apparently, the Duke of Windsor and the Duchess, Wallis, were polar opposite in personality so the Duke commissioned earrings made for his wife that were mirror images of each other. One side featured heart post in yellow diamonds with cascading leaves of pink diamonds with a larger heart shape of yellow diamonds at the bottom. The mirror image earring started with a pink heart post with cascading yellow leaves and a larger pink heart at the bottom.
Thinking it would be interesting to research the history of these earrings, I'm posting here for resources after my initial online search and local library search yield few resources. Where can I find more info?

At a LeVian trunk show yesterday I modeled beautiful yellow and pink diamond drop earrings...
They were not the actual pair that were given by the Duke to the Duchess. LeVian has done reproductions of the Duchess' jewels for some time. You should seek out the book The Jewels of the Duchess of Windsor by John Culme to find the model on which the LeVian piece was based.

-AR

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the recommendation for this excellent book.

A lot of the posts here talk about the Windsors' extravagant lifestyle and ask how did they manage to maintain it. One of the more humorous examples can be seen at a country hotel/resort in the Virginia mountains known as "The Homestead". Legend has it that there was only one guest who refused to pay the bill when it was presented to him; that bill can be seen in the little museum on the property and is in the name of none other than "The Duke of Windsor". I don't know any of the other circumstances that surround this tale, though, and there must be a story as the Duchess' Parisian couturiers and jewellers always spoke of their bills being paid by the Windsors promptly and in full, quite unlike many of their other famous patrons. It's a little confusing!

:previous:
I'm not sure I do.
The emerald is absolutely breathtaking but I dislike how its set: a piece like that should not only be the centrepiece, it should be the only one. I also rather dislike the clash of gold and emerald; perhaps if they used platinum, it would have a more winning look.

I'd actually like the emerald set as a brooch or pendant and definitely in a platinum setting.

Here is another angle of her engagement ring that I have never seen. I don't like the diamonds all around, makes me dislike the set even more!

Last edited:
My favourite jewels from the Duchess's collection are definitely her rubies. And this ruby set is just gorgeous, especially the necklace. And the "invisible/mystery" setting of the brooch is absolutely amazing! I also love the lovely inscriptions.

The Duchess of Windsor's Ruby Set

Attachments

• windsor2bt1.jpg
    windsor2bt1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 599
Wow! I have never seen this set before and it's wonderful! The designs are exquisite.

Did we ever find out if Madonna actually bought the Duchess of Windsors Cartier cross bracelet in 2011 or if it was just a copy that she was wearing?

Did we ever find out if Madonna actually bought the Duchess of Windsors Cartier cross bracelet in 2011 or if it was just a copy that she was wearing?
To the best of my knowledge, it has never been confirmed that Madonna's bracelet is the same one worn by the Duchess. Nevertheless, the designs look very similar and Madonna's fascination with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor is well known, so I'd say it's a safe bet she was the one who bought the bracelet (she is also rumoured to have bought the panther brooch)

:previous:
Yes I had read both of those stories and thought nah can't be true :D

The Duke of Windsor couldn't give Wallis the throne but her showered her with great gifts.

She was the American society beauty who captured the heart of a king and changed the course of British and Commonwealth history in the process.
Now a stunning collection of jewels that shed light on the extraordinary love affair between Wallis Simpson and King Edward VIII is to go on sale at Sotheby's.
Among the pieces going under the hammer today is a silver watch that tells of Simpson's heartbreak after being forced to separate from her future husband in the months leading up to his abdication.

Wallis Simpson and Duke of Windsor jewels go under hammer today | Mail Online

Duchess Of Windsor Jewellery

Beauty? I'm afraid that even Mrs Simpson herself admitted she was never a beauty ! Also she was on the very fringes of Society !

The Jewels of the Duchess of Windsor - Finest Jewelry

My wife gave me a wonderful book last weekend

"The Jewels of the Duchess of Windsor"

A book about her outstanding jewelry and the fabulous Sotheby's Auction in 1987.

The duke was known to have spent long hours in the pre-war years with Jeanne Toussaint of Cartier, and with Renee Puissant at Van Cleef & Arpels, both eminent designers in their field. The relationship between these two highly imaginative artist and their Royal client often produced jewels which were still considered "avant-garde" ten years after their completion. These jewels were to be the forerunners of the style of the late 1940s, when new designs began to emerge after the war.

The duke loved jewellery and took great trouble to choose jewels which his Duchess could wear to advantage on dress often designed as backdrops for particular pieces.

The Duchess of Windsor collection is one of the greatest jewellery collection I have ever seen. My new book is lying on my nightstand an well remain there for a very long time!

Today, I want to show you my favorite piece of the Duchess collection:

A RUBY AND DIAMOND NECKLACE, BY VAN CLEEF & ARPELS IN 1939

The two ribbons set with baguette diamonds and cushion shaped rubies respectively, the front supporting a detachable draped tassel set with similarly cut rubies and circular-cut diamonds.

Estimation: SF 1,200,000 - 1,500,000
SOLD FOR: for much more than the estimated price

Thanks to the photo source RD allowing me the use!

Attachments

• duchess-jewellery.jpg
    duchess-jewellery.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 305
  • VC-necklace.jpg
    VC-necklace.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 276
I was lucky enough to visit Sotheby's, a few years back, prior to some of her jewellery being auctioned. Whilst I think some of her 'stuff' was tasteless and ugly, it was nonetheless magnificent -very especially some pearls left/sent her by Queen Mary- and even ugly CAN be beautiful. I can still recall the thrill of feeling just a small!!! pane of glass between me and jewels which had adorned her neck and wrist.

I like art Deco and I think it suited Wallis

^ Yes, I like Art Deco pieces too. Of course a lot of it was very much of its time and probably isn't admired as much today. Nevertheless, Wallis liked the unusual and dramatic designs of this sort of jewellery and I think it suited her.

I don't think that she carried off more traditional styles so well, she was so bony and angular..

For me art deco is a mixed bag...some pieces are beautiful..others are horrible.

LaRae

An unusual combination of jewels which works. Still, a very modern piece which works today. Exquisite craftsmanship by Cartier of course

Back
Top Bottom