Duchess of Windsor Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:Well, unfortunately there is always the first time.

In the last couple of days (recently laid off so I have lots of Free time) I have read a couple of books about the Duchess, and more than one mentioned that particular tidbit. In the paperback verision of The Duchess of Windsor: The Secret Life by Charles Higham it is on page 463. Also, The Duchess of Winsor: the Uncommon Life of Wallis Simpson by Greg King on page 494. As one of the Duchess's friends commented, it was the most impersonal funeral she had ever been to.

But back on topic, Is there a book on the Duchess of Windsor's jewels? Other than the old Sotheby catalog?

Last edited:
It's not like the Windsors could say much about Wallis since they chose not to know her. And I assume she didn't have close surviving relatives.

In the Point de Vue issue dedicated to The Duchess on May 7 1986 she is seen in the cover photo by Karsh of Ottawa in a Norman Norell dress and the jewelry of Kenneth Jay Lane[earrings and necklace in gold].Apparently the Duchesss had an extensive collection of KJL pieces along with her real gems.
Does anybody know if those went up for auction as well in/87?

Yes Wallis famously had many costume pieces. You'd never know if that 30 carat whatever was real or costume...it could go either way.

Yes and the Duchess caried it off so you never knew.

Wallis had a faboulous collection of jewels, I can't say how mich I admire her taste, in clothes as well.

I loved her jewels, especially her pearls!

I read the book 'The Jewels of the Duchess of Windsor' - I'm not sure if that's the Sotheby's catalogue. It was broken down into three parts - the story of the auction, the biography of The Windsors, and the items themselves. Most of her jewels were not my taste/liking.

I read the book 'The Jewels of the Duchess of Windsor' - I'm not sure if that's the Sotheby's catalogue. It was broken down into three parts - the story of the auction, the biography of The Windsors, and the items themselves. Most of her jewels were not my taste/liking.

It's not the same as the catalogue, which was exactly and only that - it listed and illustrated the lots, by number, with some provenance about the pieces.

Which they sold not to long ago - because they got a Divorce!

Who owns the pearls now? Havent reproduction perarls been made of this necklace as well?

Yesterday I read on a site that Queen Mary sent at some point in the 50's a pearl necklace to her son David ( Edward VIII) as a sign of " reconciliation" with Wallis, the way she gave jewels as gifts to her other daughters in law. It seems quite unlike her in my eyes ( I can't believe she would ever forgive her son for abdicating) ,so I don't know if it's accurate. Has anyone heard about this?

I don't know about a reconciliation but the Duke of Windsor did inherit some jewels from his mother including a pearl necklace strand with a drop pearl pendant that the Duchess has worn in some photographs
http://www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/Enlargement.aspx?id=U1741148&caller=search
http://www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/Enlargement.aspx?id=BE045470&caller=search
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01086/fashion-graphics-2_1086875a.jpg
It was bought by designer Calvin Klein for his then wife, but they have since divorced and the necklace has been sold again.
Perlen Schmuck - Herzogin von Windsor | Pearls

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:

Magnificent piece! Thanks for the pictures, EmpressRouge! :flowers: Isn't it possible that David received those jewels after Queen Mary's dead? I've never heard of this story before, interesting!

I hadn't known about that story either. I'm inclined to think that the Duke inherited the pearls from his mother. I can't believe that the Queen would want to reconcile with the woman responsible for her son abdicating. If Her Majesty had truly wanted to make piece, she had plenty of years in which to do so and it didn't happen so it seems. From articles I've read about the Duke and Duchess they were bitter towards even Queen Mary as well as naturally his brother, the King and the Queen Consort.:)

The pearl necklace with the diamond clasp was given to The Duke in 1951 when he visited his mother. It was Queen Mary's way of acknowledging his wife, even though she refused to receive her.

It was the only piece Wallis received from the royal family. The rest of her jewels were acquired, although some pieces did use gems given to The Duke by the Indian Raj during his tours of the Empire as Prince of Wales.

I know that the pearls where sold about ayear ago. Does anyone know who bought them?

I wish I could say that it was me! ;) I absolutely love this piece.

Ironic that the only piece of jewellery the DoW received from his mother was a pearl necklace, given her formidable jewel collection, and how generous she was with it to her children.

According to a story in the Financial Times today, some jewellery belonging to the Duchess of Windsor is going on sale at Sotheby's. The pieces include an onyx and diamond panther bracelet made by Cartier in 1952. The piece is expected to fetch in the region of £1.5m.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Sothebys web site they are showing the auction for the jewels from the Duchess for Novemer 30. No pics yet but I'll keep checking....!!!!

DROOOOL....Wasn't the flamingo auctioned before?

DuchessMary: A private buyer who bought the jewels in 1987 (Sothebys auction of the Duchess of Windsor) is selling them now with Sothebys.

The royal jewels that scandalised a nation - Telegraph

Would you accept an engagement ring with as much history as Kate Middleton’s? Much as we’ve enjoyed debating the issue, it’s not a dilemma many of us are likely to face. Still, if Prince William does plan to lavish his bride-to-be with emotionally-charged family jewels, he should head to Sotheby’s auction house tonight, where 20 pieces of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor’s personal collection are being auctioned off.

Back
Top Bottom