The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-10-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The Duke gave her a small diamond tiara/hairpiece, made by Cartier and seen in a few early photos, as a wedding gift and a convertible piece, with diamonds and Indian-cut emeralds, that she wore a few times as well.

Apparently, The Duke was informed his brother, George VI, objected to seeing The Duchess photographed with a tiara, as she was not a Royal Highness, and she never wore either piece again.

Most likely, they were reset into other pieces made for The Duchess over the years by Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpel in Paris.
If this is true about George VI "objection" to Wallis wearing a tiara, the only thing more sad than the "objection" is the suggestion that Wallis & David succumbed to it. Why on earth would they care that his brother didn't like to see pics of Wallis wearing a tiara because she was not an HRH? Anyway, she should have been HRH because she was married to an HRH. Simple as that. But there I go again.... I am honestly not a great fan of Wallis by herself,but I like David a lot and since he loved Wallis, I accept her completely.

I agree that tiaras are hardly restricted to the HRH club. Good point, Warren, about Mrs. Greville! Really!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Aristocracy

Magnificent Pearls from the Collection of Kelly & Calvin Klein

Please follow this link to the Sothebys site that was sent to me today. A short video on her pearl necklace that belonged to Queen Mary. It is well worth it.

Lisa Hubbard explores the history and allure of the legendary natural pearls worn first by The Duchess of Windsor and most recently by Kelly Klein.
View the video online

Old 11-28-2007, 03:55 AM
Aristocracy

Head ornament

This is a ling to the Duchess wearing her sapphire and diamond bracelet her emerald engagement ring and a diamond head ornament-thou not the looped one, I’m still looking!

64 photos in the life of the Duke & Duchess

www.viewimages.com/Search.aspx?mid=3097408...
Old 05-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by micas View Post
That necklace looks like costume (paste) to me. The way the prongs are set and the color...the stones look like glass. Is it actually real??
Old 05-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Royal Highness

I am pretty certain that the piece is real

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 05-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think that one's paste. It was sold in the auction of the contents of their home rather than in the separate auction of her jewellery. Not that it's a cheap bit of trash or anything - it fetched a few thousand dollars if I remember right.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

It was one of several costume jewelry pieces designed by Kenneth Jay Lane for The Duchess in the 60's. All of the real jewels were included in the auction after her death.

Al-Fayed purchased the remaining contents of the Villa from her estate after assuming the lease from the City of Paris, which were eventually auctioned off once he decided to buy the house from the City and live in it.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
That reasoning by George VI (if true) is patently absurd. Since when were tiaras restricted to HRHs? Perhaps his wife should have introduced him to Mrs Greville.
I think the truth is that a person has to have the Monarch's "permission" to wear anything that has to do with regallia. Who and when do people wear tiaras today? They are worn at state events and besides the royal family also nobles wives wear tairas when coming. This code of ettiquette applies also to all kinds of orders and honours etc. bestsowed or belonging to men. Ie if a man gets an honoury "chain"(i'm not sure what the right word is) he has to, at least acc. to Jeoffery Archer obtain the monarch's permission to wear it to state events and banquets where the monarch will attend. When would Wallis have worn one, in a restraunt or at a fashion show? She wasn't invited to any state events...Maybe to lunch with Hitler and Goebells...
Old 05-07-2008, 05:38 AM
Administrator

A tiara isn't "regalia" or an honour. A tiara is simply a jewelled head ornament, and the Monarch's permission isn't required to wear one.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I think the truth is that a person has to have the Monarch's "permission" to wear anything that has to do with regallia. Who and when do people wear tiaras today? They are worn at state events and besides the royal family also nobles wives wear tairas when coming. This code of ettiquette applies also to all kinds of orders and honours etc. bestsowed or belonging to men. Ie if a man gets an honoury "chain"(i'm not sure what the right word is) he has to, at least acc. to Jeoffery Archer obtain the monarch's permission to wear it to state events and banquets where the monarch will attend. When would Wallis have worn one, in a restraunt or at a fashion show? She wasn't invited to any state events...Maybe to lunch with Hitler and Goebells...
I believe that is incorrect. There are families all over the UK and Europe who have owned tiaras for generations; if what you're saying is true then a bride would need the monarch's permission to wear a tiara on her wedding day. I hardly see that happening.
And, Wallis did have an emerald bead hair ornament that could classify as a tiara; I suppose she could have worn it whenever she wanted.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 05-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Serene Highness

Wow, the jewels Wallis owned were incredible! A bit extravagant maybe, but still very nice! Can anyone tell me if there's a thread on this woman's life on this forum? I come accross her name from time to time and would love to know more about her!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Have you tried the British Forum? Or Wiki?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I believe that is incorrect. There are families all over the UK and Europe who have owned tiaras for generations; if what you're saying is true then a bride would need the monarch's permission to wear a tiara on her wedding day. I hardly see that happening.
And, Wallis did have an emerald bead hair ornament that could classify as a tiara; I suppose she could have worn it whenever she wanted.
I remember reading somewhere that "commoner" received an honourary order from a monarch of a foreign country and he had to obtain the Queens permission to wear it at state events. I think if one were to wear a tiara at state events they had to be from, or married into a family who has a tradition of wearing one. Even royal ladies don't wear tiaras to private parties or dinner. The point (if there was one) with Wallis is that she was never invited to a state event or dinner and when should she wear one? to a party and outdo the royals.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Administrator

You're confusing two entirely different things. Honours have nothing to do with tiaras; tiaras can be worn by anyone, there are no rules about tiaras and "family tradition", and the Duchess of Windsor was photographed wearing a bandeau tiara.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
You're confusing two entirely different things. Honours have nothing to do with tiaras; tiaras can be worn by anyone, there are no rules about tiaras and "family tradition", and the Duchess of Windsor was photographed wearing a bandeau tiara.
Yes, thanks for correcting me, I think Wallace's not wearing one had more to do with not having appropriate events to wear it to, rather, than the king not allowing her. She was showy enough to wear anything, but probably had the good taste to realize not to wear it.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps tiaras didnt suit her? I dont wear hats for the very same reason but I cant see Wallis wearing a tiara to a restaurant or one of the many parties she seemed to spend her life going to. There is an etiquette to wearing tiaras, they are supposedly worn only by married ladies - brides do too, of course but that is perhaps because they are on their way to be married.
I see royal unmarried princesses wearing them perhaps a royal princess is an exception to this unwritten rule. I am trying to remember who I have seen wearing one and I can only come up with Princess Victoria and her sister Madeleine, can anyone come up with more?
Old 05-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Royal Highness

I think it was probably partially that they didn't suit her and partially it would've opened themselves up to alot more criticism. It was always my understanding that while they were exiled, and David renounced his claim to the throne, he still received money from the govenrment/royal family? Maybe they didn't want to jepordize their position even further?
Old 05-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Posts discussing the lives of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor have been moved to the relevant thread in the British Forums.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Royal Highness

It seems to me that Wallis was a Duchess, the wife of a Royal Duke, Regardless of whether they would have been invited to state dinners or not, if she wanted to wear a tiara she was no less entitled to wear on than the Duchess of Kent or Gloucester--or even the Duchess of Westminster (who has a truly stunning collection of pieces at her disposal--I think I shall find that forum and browse in a moment); Dukes, Duchesses, Earls, Counts, Barons, etc... all have family jewels that generally include a tiara or two (the Spencers have four that I can name offhand--turquoise mourning, the one Diana wore all the time, the feathers on the greek key, and Marie Antionette's)---so if Wallis wanted a tiara then she certainly could have worn one.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Sapphire Pendant

Original link posted by Elsa M. here

A diamond and 206.82 carat sapphire pendant made by Cartier in 1951 for the Duchess of Windsor.
Put up for auction, but withdrawn by the owner when he decided he couldn't part with it.

Tags
duchess of windsor, jewellery, wallis, wallis simpson