The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Since part of the reason why Edward had to abdicate was that morganatic marriage doesn't exist in England, it wasn't legal to saddle him with a morganatic marriage once he'd abdicated. Wallis was entitled to the HRH under the 1917 Letters Patent, and there was nothing in those Letters Patent to justify the nonsense about how HRH only applied to royals in the line of succession. As a son of George V, Edward was HRH, line of succession notwithstanding, and as the wife of an HRH, Wallis was entitled to the same style. As with so many other cases, I think the truth is somewhere between the extremes of "it was all Wallis's fault" and "she and Edward were simply victims," and we have a thread for the discussion in the British forum.

Wallis certainly knew how to wear impressive jewellery, although I must say I think a lot of her jewels look very dated nowadays regardless of the fact that they were cutting-edge fashion at the time. I don't care for the gigantic pieces of costume jewellery that she wore, and I wonder whether she'd have indulged in that stuff if she'd been Queen Consort, but some of her genuine gems were beautiful. I don't much like emeralds as a rule, but her engagement ring was a spectacular piece of work.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Royal Highness

Let's just say that history has not been kind...........
As for the engagement ring--I believe it was about 20 carats of Mogul emerald set in platinum---any photos?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 PM

Do a google search for Duchess of Windsor images and you should be able to find many photos of their wedding. more than one will show the ring on her finger. You can also check the Sotheby's catalog of her jewels auction, or the Jewels of the Duchess of Windsor book that was released after the sale. This book has many photos of the jewelry, as well as the pre and post sale amounts for each peice. Wonderful books!!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Royal Highness

Never too rich or too thin

Like her or not she remains inthe Hall of Fame of the best dressed women of all time.She is listed both on Blackwell's lists and E Lambert's lists.
Her costume jewellery was by none other than Kenneth Jay Lane and the pieces look classic on her as I have a photograph of her and Edward as done by Karsh and she is wearing significant sized earringsby KJL and they look spectacular.Her black hair against her pale skin and blue eyes made her look like a Chinese figurine. I have no problem with her huge jewellery pieces as today no one can afford those hence they do not wear them.Politics aside Wallis had the greatest figure of all the women around. She was skinny and impeccably groomed and all those beautiful clothes fit & flattered her and she knew herself well. For instance I noticed that she did not wear a plethora of hats but unusual brooches and the lines of her clothes would be considered Armaniish today as she was ahead of her time in clean and classic lines. A piece of jewellery I covet that is Duchess of Windsorish is the bracelet with the innumerable crosses that she wore on her wedding day in the Wallis blue gown made especially by Mainbocher. The Duchess looked specatacular in white.... I remember when she went to visit Nixon and she stole the show......I loved her in Norell and I have a PDV where she is wearing a gown of his on the cover with pleats across the bodice and what appears to be KJL Egyptian jewellery in gold . It looks like you could sport it to any event today without a problem, timeless. Cannot say that about about the Queen Mum or even Diana.
Wallis had it on everybody regarding taste. She had impeccable taste.Unlike Evita Peron who also had impeccably flamboyant taste but no figure Wallis had the package.And I have to agree with her saying " never too rich or too thin" it speaks of then and now and is a witty comment.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

I love that bracelet of crosses. There seems to be room for a couple more too; the spacing isn't quite regular. I hope it went to an appreciative home after the auction.

I've seen photos of her wearing ruby jewellery that was sold before her death because it wasn't in the auction. I'd love to see a better photo of it, preferably in colour, but the ruby necklace she wore so often that was auctioned was very unusual and elegant.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I remember the auction of the jewels when she died. Prince Charles, in the early part of the marriage, tried to buy the diamond Prince of Wales brooch/pendant for Diana, but was outbid by Elizabeth Taylor. At least I assume it was for Diana and not for Camilla!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I remember the auction of the jewels when she died. Prince Charles, in the early part of the marriage, tried to buy the diamond Prince of Wales brooch/pendant for Diana, but was outbid by Elizabeth Taylor. At least I assume it was for Diana and not for Camilla!
I have the catalog it's fantastic!!

Also Jaya wonderful post.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
That was a rumor printed in the newspapers, but it was never confirmed that Charles tried to buy the POW feathers for Diana. Given his grandmother's hostile feelings towards The Duchess, I highly doubt he would purchase such a famous brooch for his wife's collection.

Remember Princess Michael of Kent was given several valuable pieces of jewelry over the years by The Duchess after her marriage. She was told in no uncertain terms by The Queen's lady-in-waiting not to wear those pieces in the presence of The Queen or The Queen Mother.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Since part of the reason why Edward had to abdicate was that morganatic marriage doesn't exist in England, it wasn't legal to saddle him with a morganatic marriage once he'd abdicated. Wallis was entitled to the HRH under the 1917 Letters Patent, and there was nothing in those Letters Patent to justify the nonsense about how HRH only applied to royals in the line of succession. As a son of George V, Edward was HRH, line of succession notwithstanding, and as the wife of an HRH, Wallis was entitled to the same style.
All true, but unfortunately, the Government agreed with the King it was best to find a loophole to deny her royal rank anyway. After extensive research of the matter, the conclusion was the style was within the gift of The Sovereign and had been granted in the past to those members of the royal family in direct line to the succession.

Given that Edward had abdicated and returned to private life, George VI was within his rights as The Sovereign to issue new letters patent, obviously superseding his father's, in which The Duke was allowed to continue to be HRH, but it was explicitly denied to his wife and children, if any. Obviously, the reasoning being the Abdication represented an extraordinary breach in the line of succession, in which Edward had voluntarily reliniquished his rights, and those of his descendants, in the Act of Abdication to any claim to the throne.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Calvin Klein's ex to sell collection of Wallis' fabulous jewels

Bidders will have a chance to take home a piece of royal history next month when jewels once belonging to the Duchess of Windsor are auctioned in London. The collection's current owner, Kelly Klein - former wife of American designer Calvin Klein - is hoping the jewellery will fetch up to £1.5 million.

Highlights of the collection - which the designer bought for £100,000 as a gift to his wife during their 20-year marriage - include a pearl pendant necklace and a pair of Noir et Blanc pearl earrings.

Pictures:

The Duke and Duchess of Windsor

1950s Cartier natural pearl and diamond pendant

Stunning single strand pearl and diamond necklace

Natural pearl and diamond necklace originally from the collection of Queen Mary

Noir et Blanc pearl and diamond earclips, by New York jeweller Van Cleef & Arpels
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 10-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by micas View Post
I would have to say and one of may favorites in her jewelry collection. The first one has my favorite colors blue and green.

Philip Elmer-Dewitt, in Time Magazine
Old 10-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone have any information on or pictures of her famous Cartier Cats?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

How unfortunate that the suite was not to be sold as one lot. As it stands now, they might be purchased by different buyers and broken up. That would be a tragedy.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 PM

There is a Cartier exposition of the jewels of The Duchess of Windsor in Madrid at the city's Calle Serrano. The exposition already began this week and runs until 23 November. After The Duchess died, it says, the jewels were originally made by and then acquired by Cartier at auction at Sotheby's after her death in 1986. The jewels are interesting. They have 12 pictures that show mostly brooches, plus a ring, and some pics of the Duchess wearing the pieces. She had a tiger brooch and a panther brooch, and a dog brooch. She liked animals, I suppose.
Las emblemáticas joyas de los Duques de Windsor se exponen en Madrid
Old 11-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

On the site above, there is a picture of The Duchess with a Tiara (or diadem). I guess she was entitled to wear one, but does anyone know if she really owned any?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naut2bGrimaldi View Post
On the site above, there is a picture of The Duchess with a Tiara (or diadem). I guess she was entitled to wear one, but does anyone know if she really owned any?
I don't believe that is a genuine photo - I think it is a mock-up. I've never seen that tiara before and it certainly was not illustrated in the original sale catalogue of her jewels.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naut2bGrimaldi View Post
The Duke gave her a small diamond tiara/hairpiece, made by Cartier and seen in a few early photos, as a wedding gift and a convertible piece, with diamonds and Indian-cut emeralds, that she wore a few times as well.

Apparently, The Duke was informed his brother, George VI, objected to seeing The Duchess photographed with a tiara, as she was not a Royal Highness, and she never wore either piece again.

Most likely, they were reset into other pieces made for The Duchess over the years by Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpel in Paris.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Does anyone have a photo of that piece or of her wearing it?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The Duke gave her a small diamond tiara/hairpiece, made by Cartier and seen in a few early photos, as a wedding gift and a convertible piece, with diamonds and Indian-cut emeralds, that she wore a few times as well.

Apparently, The Duke was informed his brother, George VI, objected to seeing The Duchess photographed with a tiara, as she was not a Royal Highness, and she never wore either piece again.
That's petty beyond belief, not that I'm surprised, given how Wallis's very existence offended George VI and especially Queen Elizabeth. Tiaras weren't (still aren't, but even more so back then when they were more popular) reserved for royal ladies, so the notion that the Duchess wearing a tiara (and a very small one at that) was so offensive is ridiculous. Honestly, would that pair stop at nothing to send petty insults in Wallis's direction? If they were really so bothered about seeing her photographed wearing that particular tiara, which was little more than a headband when all's said and done, they had a perfectly viable remedy: stop looking at photos of her. Not exactly rocket science.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
Apparently, The Duke was informed his brother, George VI, objected to seeing The Duchess photographed with a tiara, as she was not a Royal Highness.
That reasoning by George VI (if true) is patently absurd. Since when were tiaras restricted to HRHs? Perhaps his wife should have introduced him to Mrs Greville.

Tags
duchess of windsor, jewellery, wallis, wallis simpson