Duchess of Windsor Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wallis was very 'a la page'. and the unusual combination of stones is very characteristic of 'cutting edge' jewels in this period.
Early 'Art Deco' jewels were mostly 'white' [diamond] or at least monochromatic [Diamond and onyx or diamond and one coloured stone]. Only in the late thirties did Jewellers [Cartier principally] launch more adventurous and colourful designs, and the Duchess was pivotal to popularising this style [which continued after the interruption of the War, well into the 50s].

Last edited:
Another beautiful piece. Thank you for the link. I went to the Cartier exhibition in April in Canberra and they had many of Wallis's jewels on display and I don't remember seeing this lovely piece.
The Duchess was lucky enough to have so many wonderful pieces.

:previous:
I'm not sure I do.
The emerald is absolutely breathtaking but I dislike how its set: a piece like that should not only be the centrepiece, it should be the only one. I also rather dislike the clash of gold and emerald; perhaps if they used platinum, it would have a more winning look.

It is actually not the original setting. The orginial one was a more plain platinum setting as per the time - but I haven't been able to find a picture. The Duchess later changed the setting to a more "up to date" (by this time) gold and diamond setting.

What became of the Duchess of Windsor's Cartier amethyst and turquoise torsade bracelet?

Countessmeout, Thank you for the informative video. I am surprised that someone from the British Royal Family did not purchase Edward's cufflinks and cigarette boxes. They have significant royal heritage.

I'm not a fan of mid-century big jewels. I like Deco, but the next 30 years were sorry indeed. I dislike the big gold claw settings on cabochon gems, and the mixing of different colored stones, except for well-designed brooches. The mix of amethyst and turquoise is like sapphire and turquoise -- not attractive.

A video about the jewels and the 1987 sale, before and after.

Wallis certainly enjoyed having statement pieces in her collection! I like Deco and unusual designs, such as panthers, leopards and various birds in jewellery, also am a fan of coloured gems rather than diamonds. However, this collection epitomised the Duchess herself I think, a bit flashy a little OTT, not much delicacy in the overall finish in the end.

The pearls given by Queen Mary and the big Olga Tritt pearls were so lovely, it ended up on Anne Klein but she too sold them off.

High jewelry from the collection of Wallis, Duchess of Windsor

When Wallis was at a party in New York wearing a necklace, the Maharani of Baroda, Sita Devi commented that the necklace looked just as good as it did on her feet. Sita Devi was the previous owner of the jewels but they used to anklets and Harry Winston made the stones in a necklace for Wallis who bought it. Wallis was so stunned that she immediately returned the jewels back

Back
Top Bottom