Duchess of Sussex Jewels 1: November 2017 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In regards to her engagement ring. I don’t know if I believe it was being resized as her fingers swelled. Why would anyone adjust their ring size just because their fingers are temporarily swelling for an obvious reason? It’s not as if it’s from normal weight gain.
She can simply not wear it temporarily like she did at NZ House.

:previous:

No, I didn't mean the engagement band was being resized to accommodate swelling of her fingers during pregnancy!

The band was resized though -- that's what Omid reports.

So, per Omid's report, my speculation is that the band on the engagement ring was always slightly loose as it seemed to move around a bit on Meghan's finger. That could have been due to her losing a bit of weight in the lead-up to her wedding. Who knows?

Or else, Harry, Meghan or both wanted the band changed to a more delicate-looking diamond band, and it necessarily required resizing because of the change in band design and material.

As far as the temporary swelling associated with Meghan's pregnancy, I meant that because she had to remove her rings, that was a good time to have the band resized to accommodate the change Harry was having made (either as a surprise, or else Meghan knew about it).

We noticed in the latter days of Meghan's pregnancy, before she disappeared from public view, that she was not wearing her engagement ring. Some speculated it was because of possible swelling. We don't know that since it hasn't been confirmed.

Whatever the case, the ring was probably resized and the band was changed around the same time that Meghan was in the latter stages of her pregnancy. And probably when Harry presented Meghan with the eternity ring for their wedding anniversary on May 19, he also gave her back the engagement ring with the new diamond band. This is speculation based on the recent reports that have been published.

Last edited:
:previous:

No, I didn't mean the engagement band was being resized to accommodate swelling of her fingers during pregnancy!

The band was resized though -- that's what Omid reports.

So, per Omid's report, my speculation is that the band on the engagement ring was always slightly loose as it seemed to move around a bit on Meghan's finger. That could have been due to her losing a bit of weight in the lead-up to her wedding. Who knows?

Or else, Harry, Meghan or both wanted the band changed to a more delicate-looking diamond band, and it necessarily required resizing because of the change in band design and material.

As far as the temporary swelling associated with Meghan's pregnancy, I meant that because she had to remove her rings, that was a good time to have the band resized to accommodate the change Harry was having made (either as a surprise, or else Meghan knew about it).

We noticed in the latter days of Meghan's pregnancy, before she disappeared from public view, that she was not wearing her engagement ring. Some speculated it was because of possible swelling. We don't know that since it hasn't been confirmed.

Whatever the case, the ring was probably resized and the band was changed around the same time that Meghan was in the latter stages of her pregnancy. And probably when Harry presented Meghan with the eternity ring for their wedding anniversary on May 19, he also gave her back the engagement ring with the new diamond band. This is speculation based on the recent reports that have been published.

Meghan’s ring hasn’t fitted loosely since right after her wedding based on my observation. And certainly, if it needs to be resized, she won’t need to wait a year. And do it in an odd time when she’s still carrying pregnancy weight. Especially with a diamond pave, it’s a pain in the ass to resize again compared to a gold band.

And while Omid has good evidence on the general direction of his reporting, and I obviously believe the eternity ring as I can see the other gemstones with my own eyes, he has gotten details wrong in the past. So I do question that detail of his reporting.

Last edited:
Do you think the stones honouring the family is an American tradition, I am asking because I have rings specifically worked round the birthstones of my family which were given to me by my daughter in law who is American.

Do you think the stones honouring the family is an American tradition, I am asking because I have rings specifically worked round the birthstones of my family which were given to me by my daughter in law who is American.

I wouldn't say it is tradition, but it has become increasingly trendy over the last 10-12 years. Sometimes the stones are visible (set on the outside of the band) and sometimes they are set on the inside of the band so that they are worn against the skin, depending on which setting has more meaning to the wearer. I've seen this done for husbands/wives, children, parents (deceased or not) and pets (again, deceased or not). It's not unusual, although if it is not done by a skilled artisan, it can weaken the band.

No. That’s simply a thing of personal preference. Various forms of ring involving birthstones have been around, but there is no uniformity or tradition to how it’s done. Some people don’t bother with them at all.

I wouldn't say it is tradition, but it has become increasingly trendy over the last 10-12 years. Sometimes the stones are visible (set on the outside of the band) and sometimes they are set on the inside of the band so that they are worn against the skin, depending on which setting has more meaning to the wearer. I've seen this done for husbands/wives, children, parents (deceased or not) and pets (again, deceased or not). It's not unusual, although if it is not done by a skilled artisan, it can weaken the band.

The trend may come and go for a time but they were very popular when we got my Mom a ring with the birthstones for my parents and my brother and I. I don't remember exactly when it was but it has to have been at least 45 years ago.

Beautiful sign of love for the most important man of her life.

A- Harry and Meghan's most important gift to the world

He is so thoughtful and happy. Our Harry is in love. The hidden meanings and the fact that she tapped a bespoke jeweler who is as philanthropic as they are is beyond amazing.

Adding my Twopence and Own experience : having just ohne ring on the finger is different to wearing 3 as stacks. Espescially if you are Not used to it. She just might have found that with 3 rings a smaller band is more comfortable to wear. And that‘s it!

The Duchess of Sussex wore her wedding earrings for the christening of Archie.

Adding my Twopence and Own experience : having just ohne ring on the finger is different to wearing 3 as stacks. Espescially if you are Not used to it. She just might have found that with 3 rings a smaller band is more comfortable to wear. And that‘s it!
I think you nailed it! One of my sister's wears three rings, wedding, engagement and eternity. They are all in the 70's style of wide bands yet as she is a statuesque woman (I'm 5'1" on a good day) and she has long fingers so they fit beautifully and don't look in the least cramped.

Now for me, two modern sized rings is pushing it. So mostly it's just the wedding ring that gets worn.

Megan seems to have long fingers but appears to be small boned.

Last edited:
Those earrings are gorgeous! Who pays for all of Meghan's new jewelry?

Now we know the origins of her trooping earrings too! The black backing comes off and they can be worn as 'studs'. There are links on Twitter to confirm.

Meghan or Harry pay for her jewelry unless someone is giving her a gift (family/friends etc).

LaRae

It looks like the Duchess of Sussex's new earrings are a version of the earrings that Lorraine Schwartz made for Taylor Swift to wear to the Golden Globes this year. Meghan's earrings are obviously just the top portion. Also Harper's Bazaar says that Meghan's are made with onyx but according to Lorraine Schwartz, Taylor's are made with black jade.

Lorraine Schwartz - a very sparkly video of the earrings
Lorraine Schwartz - pictures of Taylor Swift wearing the earrings

Harper's Bazaar article about Meghan's earrings

Taylor’s earrings are making my earlobes ache in sympathy. They look so heavy. Much prefer Meghan’s.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that several pieces Meghan has worn on more gala occasions like the Lion King premiere are loans from the jeweller.

Just a feeling, but IMO Harry hardly has the income to be smothering his wife with very expensive jewellery within months of their marriage. Plus, Meghan has not been borrowing anything from the Royal vaults as far as we know. And Meghan comes from a profession in the US in which loans of jewellery from the maker for special red carpet occasions is considered both practical and convenient.

Meghan has her own money too...and who's to say she's not being gifted by other family members or even friends?

ETA: I also think Harry has more money than we know about (same with William). IIRC they were gifted monies from The Queen Mother as well...weren't all the great grands?

LaRae

I don't think they're a loan since she's worn them twice now, at Trooping the Colour without the jacket and at the Lion King premiere with the jacket.

Meghan has her own money too...and who's to say she's not being gifted by other family members or even friends?

ETA: I also think Harry has more money than we know about (same with William). IIRC they were gifted monies from The Queen Mother as well...weren't all the great grands?

LaRae

The Queen Mother gave Harry and the other non-heirs money. William didn’t get anything because he’ll be king.

The Queen Mother gave Harry and the other non-heirs money. William didn’t get anything because he’ll be king.

Ah ok yes makes sense.

So we really don't know (that I'm aware of) of what kind of money Harry has ..I don't remember if the terms of the will were public as to dollar amounts like Diana's was.

Either way...I think he can spend 10 grand on a pair of earrings for Meghan if he cares to.

LaRae

Just a feeling, but IMO Harry hardly has the income to be smothering his wife with very expensive jewellery within months of their marriage.
I think he does & even if he didn't, I strongly suspect that Prince Charles would ensure that his daughters-in-law have a good stock of jewellery. Also, as someone else pointed out, Meghan has her own money & can buy things for herself if she chooses to.

Last edited:
There is also Diana's jewelry which we have seen very little of when you consider her personal jewelry (plus unset stones). Meghan has worn a few of those pieces ..presumably gifted to her by Harry.

LaRae

Royal brides are often given jewellery as wedding presents, especially non royal coming into the family. It is a way of establishing a jewellery collection that is solely theirs and not part of the royal collection.
Jewellery possibly given as gifts when visiting other countries could be another matter, I am not sure if they are viewed as personal gifts or something they would use but which eventually would become part of the royal collection.

Jewellery possibly given as gifts when visiting other countries could be another matter, I am not sure if they are viewed as personal gifts or something they would use but which eventually would become part of the royal collection.

Meghan is allowed to use any piece of jewellery given to her in her official capacity as The Duchess of Sussex, but it will become part of the Royal Collection after she passes away.

This is not quite correct, the late Queen Mother placed the bulk of her money in trust for her Great Grandchildren, Prince Harry inherited a larger share than Prince William, but Prince William benefited from this trust nevertheless!

Back
Top Bottom