Duchess of Sussex Jewels 1: November 2017 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking about this yesterday. I also think the way the earrings are designed are quite unlike Middle East? Usually their setting is pretty rigid. The Ruby necklace that people have been speculating about looks very much like it. Usually Middle East jewels are pretty easy to tell.

Hmmm, the mystery deepens. Perhaps we can temporarily name them The Mystery Chandeliers?
Often what are described as "Middle East jewels" come from large Western jewellers. The parures are just typically larger than what we usually see in Europe.

You are right. Regardless off who orders them the makers are often the very same jewellers such as cartier that have been used by royalty, aristocracy and the wealthy of Europe for decades and some even longer .

Even so, I think the origin has more to do with privacy than secrecy. Catherine has worn classic historical jewels from HM, all of which were readily identifiable and whose history was a matter of record. The delightful earrings worn by Meghan have no provenance 'except', I believe, that they are royal as we know that the BRF frowns on borrowing from jewellers. Because their design gives a possible style date we are left assuming they are from Camilla's collection.

You are right. Regardless off who orders them the makers are often the very same jewellers such as cartier that have been used by royalty, aristocracy and the wealthy of Europe for decades and some even longer .

Even so, I think the origin has more to do with privacy than secrecy. Catherine has worn classic historical jewels from HM, all of which were readily identifiable and whose history was a matter of record. The delightful earrings worn by Meghan have no provenance 'except', I believe, that they are royal as we know that the BRF frowns on borrowing from jewellers. Because their design gives a possible style date we are left assuming they are from Camilla's collection.
I largely agree with you.

If nothing else, Camilla and the Queen are the only people Megan is likely to borrow from.

It is quite possible that Camilla received the demi -parure and decided it was not to her taste, probably appropriate for somebody younger and kept it aside for Hatry's wife.

Have we seen all the Greville collection passed down to Charles? That was supposed to be a very large collection inherited by the Queen Mother...there may well be jewelry we have never seen.

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault:

The complete contents of that black tin box marked with the initials M.F.G. are still emerging more than seven decades later. An inventory of the complete contents of the Greville bequest has never been made public. The best approximation of its total size comes from the Roberts book, which places the collection at over sixty pieces

http://queensjewelvault.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-greville-bequest-part-2.html

LaRae

Last edited:
Have we seen all the Greville collection passed down to Charles? That was supposed to be a very large collection inherited by the Queen Mother...there may well be jewelry we have never seen.

LaRae

No. There is nothing to suggest that the entire Greville collection was passed to Charles. Camilla has used a few pieces, and that is about it. HM has a number of pieces and more continue to emerge, including the emerald tiara that Eugenie used for her wedding.

Even if part of it went to the Queen, we know Charles inherited jewelry from the Queen Mother ..that we may never have seen.

We know the piece in question was not loaned from the Queen or they would of said so.

LaRae

I hope people will open to the idea that some pieces might be newly bought jewels. Either bought by Meghan and Catherine or by Harry and William. They got the mula.

Well no one has said some of her pieces aren't newly bought. If KP hadn't said these earrings were borrowed then I'd imagine at least some folks would think they were purchased.

LaRae

Well no one has said some of her pieces aren't newly bought. If KP hadn't said these earrings were borrowed then I'd imagine at least some folks would think they were purchased.

LaRae
That's correct. KP specifically briefed that they were borrowed. If they had not been worn again this week, the matter would be forgotten. It now appears these will be a part of Megan 's stash going firers, lending credibility to them originating fro m Camilla.

I think the most likely origin of the earrings is the Sultanate of Brunei, given to the Duchess of Cornwall and now loaned [permanently?] to the Duchess of Sussex.
I say this because the Brunei Royal seem to have a fondness for coloured diamonds [not shown in any other Royal House], and because [I believe] it has been confirmed that the DoC has received jewels from that quarter, jewels not otherwise seen or otherwise identified.
ENTIRELY speculative, I grant you...

That's correct. KP specifically briefed that they were borrowed. If they had not been worn again this week, the matter would be forgotten. It now appears these will be a part of Megan 's stash going firers, lending credibility to them originating fro m Camilla.

I like the idea of them being a loan from Camilla both from the (sparkly) perspective that we're getting to see something that otherwise Camilla might never wear, and from the perspective that it shows a little bit about the private relationships within the Wales/Cambridge/Sussex family. It's always nice to have these windows into how things actually operate vs. the perception that Camilla is an outcast! Meghan isn't really accepted! and so on.

I think the most likely origin of the earrings is the Sultanate of Brunei, given to the Duchess of Cornwall and now loaned [permanently?] to the Duchess of Sussex.
I say this because the Brunei Royal seem to have a fondness for coloured diamonds [not shown in any other Royal House], and because [I believe] it has been confirmed that the DoC has received jewels from that quarter, jewels not otherwise seen or otherwise identified.

Yes, Brunei seems to have a real thing for yellow diamonds, so I agree that if they are indeed yellow diamonds rather than sapphires, chrysoberyl, or such, then Brunei is a likely source.

Well if that's an example of what the Sultanate of Brunei gave Camilla lets see more of it! I love the colored diamonds.

LaRae

Well if that's an example of what the Sultanate of Brunei gave Camilla lets see more of it! I love the colored diamonds.

LaRae

Agreed, and it would be especially nice if the earrings were part of a parure or demi-parure that was also loaned to Meghan. Fingers crossed that we get to see other pieces at some point.

I would LOVE for Meghan to wear a statement necklace...so it would be awesome if this was part of a set.

LaRae

Even if part of it went to the Queen, we know Charles inherited jewelry from the Queen Mother ..that we may never have seen.

We know the piece in question was not loaned from the Queen or they would of said so.

LaRae

I would be interested to know your source for this statement. Officially the Queen Mother left her entire collection to her daughter the Queen.

I would be interested to know your source for this statement. Officially the Queen Mother left her entire collection to her daughter the Queen.

I think the story is that the Queen Mother officially left the collection to the Queen, but perhaps did so with the request that certain jewelry be available for Charles/his wife/daughters-in-law to borrow/use

I agree, Brunei is a strong contender. It was reported that she had received a demi parure after C&C visited Brunei in 2008, and mind was publicly seen (though it could well have been the ruby and diamond demi parure worn in 2015)

I think the story is that the Queen Mother officially left the collection to the Queen, but perhaps did so with the request that certain jewelry be available for Charles/his wife/daughters-in-law to borrow/use

I guess we won’t ever know as all Royal Wills are sealed to public view. My own opinion is that Her Majesty the Queen is the controller of who is allowed to wear what and it seems that only her direct female heirs ie the Duchesses of Cornwall and Cambridge have been photographed wearing major royal jewels.

You are absolutely correct! :flowers: I did some sleuthing. Charles and Camilla visited Brunei in 2008 and 2017. According to the official gifts lists located on the Prince of Wales website, Camilla received jewelry from a member of the Brunei royal family in 2008. She did not receive any jewelry from Brunei in 2017.

This is stated in the 2008 lisiting available at the following link:
https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/gift-lists

Last edited:

I think it’s just that Charles have access to the jewels for his wife, the future consort.

I think it’s just that Charles have access to the jewels for his wife, the future consort.

He does only with his Mother’s permission.
The Duchess of Cornwall has been seen in relatively few pieces. The Queen however is often seen wearing her Mother’s jewels, particularly her brooches.

I guess we won’t ever know as all Royal Wills are sealed to public view. My own opinion is that Her Majesty the Queen is the controller of who is allowed to wear what and it seems that only her direct female heirs ie the Duchesses of Cornwall and Cambridge have been photographed wearing major royal jewels.

Whilst royal wills are indeed sealed, it was disclosed at the time of her death that the Queen Mother's entire estate was left to QE2.

You are absolutely correct! :flowers: I did some sleuthing. Charles and Camilla visited Brunei in 2008 and 2017. According to the official gifts lists located on the Prince of Wales website, Camilla received jewelry from a member of the Brunei royal family in 2008. She did not receive any jewelry from Brunei in 2017.

This is stated in the 2008 lisiting available at the following link:
https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/gift-lists

Two potential contenders, IMO: Brunei, 2008 and Saudi Arabia 2013

One of these could be the parure that includes the Yellow Diamond earrings worn by Meghan, the other could be the Ruby and Diamond demi-parure worn by the Duchess of Cornwall in 2015 at the premiere of the Real exotic Marigold Hotel.

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity...he-Second-Best-Exotic-Marigold-Hotel-premiere

Whilst royal wills are indeed sealed, it was disclosed at the time of her death that the Queen Mother's entire estate was left to QE2.

Yes, I stated this some posts ago. Wouldn’t it be interesting to view the contents of the last will and testament of the Queen Mother! I’d love to see the inventory of possessions - then we’d know what there was! [emoji4]

Yes, I stated this some posts ago. Wouldn’t it be interesting to view the contents of the last will and testament of the Queen Mother! I’d love to see the inventory of possessions - then we’d know what there was! [emoji4]

It would not have included an inventory. As in "All my jewelry...excepting." Or specific bequeaths listed and then "The remainder to the royal trust."

It would not have included an inventory. As in "All my jewelry...excepting." Or specific bequeaths listed and then "The remainder to the royal trust."

Dating from the time of Queen Victoria they stick labels on their furniture to indicate the provenance and also keep catalogues of their possessions, particularly jewellery for insurance purposes if nothing else. The specific bequests and gifts would then be entered in the catalogue.

I really doubt that an inventory would not have been included. It's very difficult to pass on property, especially very valuable property, without disclosing exactly what it is, and especially if that property is going to end up as part of a trust, and a trust that specifically avoids inheritance taxes.

I really doubt that an inventory would not have been included. It's very difficult to pass on property, especially very valuable property, without disclosing exactly what it is, and especially if that property is going to end up as part of a trust, and a trust that specifically avoids inheritance taxes.

Items destined for Trusts would have been transferred to Trusts at lest least 7 years before the death of the QM, if they were to avoid inheritance tax. The rest could have been dealt with using a simple will where all assets of the Queen Mother were left to HM The Queen.

Back
Top Bottom