The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

If the necklace matches the quality of the earrings and it's the right outfit I'd love to see them worn together.

LaRae

Old 01-09-2019, 12:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Meghan for the most part will have to rely on either loans from jewellers or buying her jewels outright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Meghan is only getting started in the jewelry department. She haven’t attended any major royal event where these precious jewels in the vault are normally worn. We have to wait to see her attend her first State Visit and Diplomatic Corps Reception. I’m sure The Queen will loan her some jewels that we’re familiar with or haven’t seen in many decades. The collection is vast and mysterious.
I would be very surprised to see Meghan borrow from jewellers. My sense is Meghan's "royal" jewel box will comprise jewels from:

> Harry's share of Diana's personal jewels
> Presents from HM and the PoW
> Presents received at their wedding, and ones, if any, they may receive whilst carrying out engagements and trips overseas, which will technically belong to the Royal Collection
> Any jewels they choose to buy themselves.

Further, HM may, from time to time, make some loans of jewellery to her, quite like Sophie Wessex, but these are unlikely to be significant or pieces with major historical provenance. Similarly, Camilla may loan some jewels that she does not use to Meghan, as I suspect she did with the diamond earrings.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I would be very surprised to see Meghan borrow from jewellers. My sense is Meghan's "royal" jewel box will comprise jewels from:

> Harry's share of Diana's personal jewels
> Presents from HM and the PoW
> Presents received at their wedding, and ones, if any, they may receive whilst carrying out engagements and trips overseas, which will technically belong to the Royal Collection
> Any jewels they choose to buy themselves.

Further, HM may, from time to time, make some loans of jewellery to her, quite like Sophie Wessex, but these are unlikely to be significant or pieces with major historical provenance. Similarly, Camilla may loan some jewels that she does not use to Meghan, as I suspect she did with the diamond earrings.
Thereís plenty of jewels to loan. Again, the collection is vast. So, weíll see her in the family jewels. Meghan is a senior royal and will be attending the events where those jewels will be worn.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-09-2019, 05:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Thereís plenty of jewels to loan. Again, the collection is vast. So, weíll see her in the family jewels. Meghan is a senior royal and will be attending the events where those jewels will be worn.

Actually Meghan is not a senior royal. She will move even further down in the pecking order as the generations change. HM the Queen has not given a lot of jewellery to the wives of her younger sons and has leant very few pieces.
Meghan does not appear to have received much jewellery as a wedding present. She has received a small pair of pearl and diamond stud earrings from the Queen and we donít know who gave her the Cartier jewels she wore on her wedding day. I can think of nothing else!
Old 01-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Majesty

Thinking about it, I tend to believe they are from Camilla's collection. I do not think they are really her style but they really suit Meghan. I think they are a gift that didn't or hasn't 'felt right' each time they have been put on they have been put back unworn. However, they cannot be 'gifted' to anyone because that would be seen as rude and could cause offence, but 'loaning' them to her D-I-L is perfectly acceptable.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmemail View Post
Actually Meghan is not a senior royal. She will move even further down in the pecking order as the generations change. HM the Queen has not given a lot of jewellery to the wives of her younger sons and has leant very few pieces.
Meghan does not appear to have received much jewellery as a wedding present. She has received a small pair of pearl and diamond stud earrings from the Queen and we don’t know who gave her the Cartier jewels she wore on her wedding day. I can think of nothing else!
Yes, The Duchess of Sussex is a senior member of the royal family. She married a senior member of the royal family. The son of the future Monarch.

We’re still in the early days of Meghan’s career as a senior royal. There’s going to be plenty of opportunities for her to borrow the family jewels. She’s yet to attend her first State Visits and other State events where the jewels are worn.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Meghan does not appear to have received much jewellery as a wedding present. She has received a small pair of pearl and diamond stud earrings from the Queen and we donít know who gave her the Cartier jewels she wore on her wedding day. I can think of nothing else!
She will actually move up in the next generational change. And how HMQ has done things isnít necessarily how the next Queen Consort will as QEII has not done things the same way as previous Queen Consorts either.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

This will be a controversial comment but I don't see Meghan ever wearing a whole lot of jewels...not even Diana's. She seems to prefer very modern jewels and yellow gold. And she is very minimalist as well.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But she is a senior royal--she is the daughter-in-law of the next King. She will move up long before she begins to move further down, that is many years away yet, when the Cambridge kids are grown and marrying.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
This will be a controversial comment but I don't see Meghan ever wearing a whole lot of jewels...not even Diana's. She seems to prefer very modern jewels and yellow gold. And she is very minimalist as well.
The earrings we've been discussing for the past 2 days are not exactly minimalist.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
I don't think it's controversial. I might not agree, but def not controversial. Anyways, Meghan wears small pieces in her everyday life, but when it's time to wow, she does do statement pieces well.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The earrings we've been discussing for the past 2 days are not exactly minimalist.
True! Good point!
But then again, neither she nor Catherine had access to the kind of jewels that they wear now in their previous lives.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Well, they are of simple design...just with nice sized diamonds.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:11 PM
Nobility

To qualify what I mean ;

The Duchess of Cambridge will be seen in the royal jewels for years to come. The Duchess of Sussex I don’t believe we shall, just as we don’t see the Countess of Wessex or while still married the Duchess of York, wearing major pieces from the Queen’s collection.

Also it remains to be seen how the Queen will disperse her huge collection of jewellery, Her Majesty is in the unique position of having the use of the crown jewellery- those pieces passed from
Queen to Queen and also inheriting the bulk of Queen Mary’s collection. None of our previous Queens has had such a vast collection of jewellery.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

When it comes to Sophie/Edward or Andrew. They never have had the popularity (Andrew squandered his from his younger days) of the Wales boys ...I think once Charles is King the Sussexes will come into even more prominence.

The bulk of working royals are aging ...the only ones working under 50 are the Sussexes and Cambridges. In 10 years it will be down to even fewer. When Charles is crowned the Sussexes will be pretty high profile.

ETA: Charles will likely inherit most of the Queen's personal collection I'd think.

LaRae

Ok I just ran across this...these look very much the same style as Meghan's but different stones. Hmmm I don't know if these Kate has on are the same designer or not.

https://twitter.com/KateMCambridge

LaRae
Old 01-09-2019, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

This thread is about Meghan's jewelry. Let's move on from discussing who is a senior royal.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

Ok I just ran across this...these look very much the same style as Meghan's but different stones. Hmmm I don't know if these Kate has on are the same designer or not.

https://twitter.com/KateMCambridge

LaRae
Itís Robinson Pelham. They are both chandelier and have pear shaped stones, but the differences far outweigh similarities. I donít believe any of Kateís been associated with Butani in the past, but I wouldnít know for sure as I donít follow her that much.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Also it remains to be seen how the Queen will disperse her huge collection of jewellery,

I don't believe she will disperse it.

If anything, the Queen seems determined to keep the collection intact- hence, the loans, rather than outright gifts.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't believe she will disperse it.

If anything, the Queen seems determined to keep the collection intact- hence, the loans, rather than outright gifts.
It is more cost effective to pass the jewels monarch to monarch. It eliminates the very high death duties that would need to be paid by anyone else.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Thinking about it, I tend to believe they are from Camilla's collection. I do not think they are really her style but they really suit Meghan. I think they are a gift that didn't or hasn't 'felt right' each time they have been put on they have been put back unworn. However, they cannot be 'gifted' to anyone because that would be seen as rude and could cause offence, but 'loaning' them to her D-I-L is perfectly acceptable.
I am on the same page as you.