Duchess of Sussex Jewels 1: November 2017 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Queen Elizabeth II is quite wrong to not pool the jewellery more. The royal ladies pool the jewellery in Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Spain and Liechtenstein and I presume it would be pooled more in Monaco if Princess Charlène would wear the Grimaldi and Princess Grace ice. Therefore, I am sympathetic if the Duchess of Sussex felt any need to borrow from a top jeweller. Lastly, when are we going to see Lady Di's Crown Prince Fahd sapphires, her pearls, gold wristwatch and her other sapphires from the Gulf?

Last edited:
Yes, I'm waiting to see more official photo shoots of Meghan in a beautiful gown wearing jewels and a tiara, and also formal pictures of the Duke & Duchess together. It seems there's not a lot of formal photo shoots being done these days by the royals.

I think the ring Meghan wore to the Endeavour Awards ceremony is gorgeous. Below is a close-up view. It's by Ecksand Cirque -- a light-colored ruby ring with diamonds from an ethical Canadian jewelry brand:
Ecksand Cirque Ruby Ring - Meghan's Mirror

And the earrings Meghan wore:
http://www.meghansmirror.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/precious-earring-charm-diamonds.jpg close-up
Vanessa Tugendhaft Precious Earrings; clover-shaped; rose gold cross pattern with diamonds
Vanessa Tugendhaft Precious Earrings - Meghan's Mirror

DoS Meghan wears such delicate, beautifully-detailed and elegant, usually minimalist jewelry.

Last edited:
I think Queen Elizabeth II is quite wrong to not pool the jewellery more. The royal ladies pool the jewellery in Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Spain and Liechtenstein and I presume it would be pooled more in Monaco if Princess Charlène would wear the Grimaldi and Princess Grace ice. Therefore, I am sympathetic if the Duchess of Sussex felt any need to borrow from a top jeweller. Lastly, when are we going to see Lady Di's Crown Prince Fahd sapphires, her pearls, gold wristwatch and her other sapphires from the Gulf?

Apparently the Queen doesn't want to pool the jewelry at all!
The DM refers to this, but, consider the source?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eghan-wearing-jewellery-Royal-Collection.html

The Duchess of Sussex has been wearing her mother-in-laws jewels. She haven’t attended a State Banquet and Diplomatic Reception yet, so there’s been no opportunities for her to wear the major family heirlooms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently the Queen doesn't want to pool the jewelry at all!
The DM refers to this, but, consider the source?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...eghan-wearing-jewellery-Royal-Collection.html

Like a lot of articles in the DM, if you squint and look at it sideways you can just barely see the traces of actual facts mixed in with all the hyperbole, speculation and distortions. Of course the Queen is the one who determines what will and will not be loaned, and it is also very likely that Catherine will be loaned pieces that Meghan will not have access to because both their current and future roles are so different. It's also probable that Meghan will be loaned additional pieces of jewelry in the future. Aside from that, it's all the DM trying to whip up outrage and imply things that haven't actually been said. In other words, the usual.

There was no State banquet in Australia. They aren't visiting heads of state. They would not have worn tiaras even if they had visited Spain or such. Kate wore a tiara the same night as it was a state banquet. Big difference.

Kate and Meghan have the same role right now. Neither are married to the heir to the throne. They are both married to grandsons. The BRF also doesn't have jewelry reserved for the heir's wife.

The queen has always loaned jewelry to other members, not just Diana and now Camilla and Kate. Meghan will be no different. She simply hasn't had any major event to attend since her wedding.

Meghan also has a far more modern asthetic then Kate does. The pearls and some other pieces that could have been worn to some events Meghan has attended, are not really her more modern style. Some of the queen mother's art deco pieces would be great on her.

Last edited by a moderator:
The queen has always loaned jewelry to other members, not just Diana and now Camilla and Kate. Meghan will be no different. She simply hasn't had any major event to attend since her wedding.

Meghan also has a far more modern asthetic then Kate does. The pearls and some other pieces that could have been worn to some events Meghan has attended, are not really her more modern style. Some of the queen mother's art deco pieces would be great on her.

I'm expecting Charles to be generous with the loans.
Not so sure about William. :whistling:

The Queen certainly does reserve certain pieces for the more senior royal ladies.

It's why we've never seen Sophie or Anne wearing the maple leaf brooch while in Canada.

In fact Sophie doesn't get loans at all for the most part.

Same for New Zealand fern brooch. It's only Camilla and Kate who wear it.

So theres definitely pieces Meghan will never have access to

Meghan will have access to all the jewelry she could ever want...she has her personal pieces, gifts from Harry/Charles etc and then Diana's pieces. It's not like she's walking around needing more jewelry. The era of Queen Mary is long gone. They rarely wear the big pieces anymore.

LaRae

Their accuracy rate gets worse and worse . . . they referred to HM wearing "The Girls . . " whilst she was quite clearly wearing The Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara in its pearl configuration. (Morons).

I cannot for the life of me think that HM could or would ban any piece that belonged to Diana as her collection now belongs to William and Harry for the use of their wives.

I think they are confused by the Lovers Knot tiara which while worn by Diana, remained part of HM's private collection. She has decided it is for Catherine's use as a future Queen just as she decided the mighty Buch is for Camilla. When the time comes, we'll know what she decides is for Meghan's use.

As for her wanting to wear the Vladimir emeralds, I call BS. It is not Meghan s aesthetic and l, like so many others, could never imagine Meghan would want to wear it and then there's the daft reason about "provenance" that means she couldn't wear it. As if HM would have ever worn possibly 'hot' jewellery.

Once again I am reminded that while the DM has the best photos, its written content is is either woefully or willfully inaccurate.

Last edited:
The articles are written in a way that comes at things sideways, which always is a sure sign of a sketchy story.

It's not that I don't believe a source told a reporter "oh, no, the Queen won't let Meghan wear that tiara and that necklace". I absolutely do.

I just think it was in response to the reporter asking "will Meghan be given the Lover's Knot Tiara and the Nizam of Hyderabad".

Then the reporter turned around and twisted it into "Queen bans Meghan from wearing Royal Jewels worn by Diana".

So it's absolutely possible for the first story to be based on an actual conversation, but still be deceptive enough that the second story looks like a walk-back.

Meghan Markle and the Queen's Jewels: What's Really Going On

For starters, palaces sources point out that Meghan has worn pieces from the Royal Collection (namely the tiara) and may well do so in the future.

https://people.com/royals/meghan-ma...wGuj63vJbMF2zoh-L_PC_E15Sss5SvZhJRR0XoWqjVPkY

Meghan Markle Will Be Borrowing the Queen’s Jewelry After All

Despite a recent report, the duchess will continue to have access to the jewels in the Queen’s collection—even the ones that belonged to Princess Diana.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/20...ial-type=owned&mbid=social_twitter&verso=true

I am not surprised this piece was corrected in record time. It presented HM very badly. The tabloids needs for clicks has always been ridiculous but they not even trying anymore.

Jewel gate just got walked back

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.va...eghan-markle-borrowing-the-queens-jewelry/amp

No matter what the tradition is for handing out the jewels from the royal vault this story made the queen look bad.

The Daily Beast expanded the story say the earrings Meghan wore for the state dinner in Fiji was from the Royal Collection

https://www.thedailybeast.com/yes-m...ar-fabulous-jewels-from-the-queens-collection.

The pushback was fast on this.

As far as I know nothing official has been confirmed about those earrings...sounds like the media is just guessing again.

LaRae

:previous: No confirmation has been made about the earrings.

The article in VF seems confused by the jewelry. When the DM was saying she was banned from wearing the pieces worn by Diana, they meant jewels loaned to Diana by the queen. Like the lovers knot tiara for instance. VF seems to think that means all of Diana's jewels. Of course Diana's personal jewels were inherited by her sons and the queen has no say over who wears those pieces.

So far the only major piece of jewelry she has worn from the royal vaults is the wedding tiara. But she also has not attended any big banquets or such since the wedding either to display the bigger pieces.

This story seems to have legs. It sounds possible. It's probably true:

https://www.inquisitr.com/5372614/m...-a-tiara-for-fiji-dinner-but-charles-said-no/

If Meghan decides to take time out from her maternity leave to attend the state dinner for Trump in early June, she would get to wear a tiara then. But would she want to be at such a state dinner?

It is interesting Charles' perspective and his sensitivity regarding not flaunting an expensive tiara in such a poor country as Fiji. I think he was right. Meghan compensated by wearing those fabulous hanging diamond earrings with her hair down, and the Fijian-blue cape-like dress. She looked amazing! IMO, the way she looked, a tiara was not needed.

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/...rkle-Blue-Safiyaa-Dress-Fiji-October-2018.jpg

Last edited:
It's not custom in Fiji to wear crowns/tiaras either. Different cultures.

As far as the State Dinner it really wouldn't matter if she wanted to be there or not...if you are expected to be there, you go.

LaRae

My guess is the first time we’ll see Meghan at a State event and wearing a tiara is during the fall State Visit and possibly at the Royal Diplomatic Corps Reception.

There is a fall State Dinner?

I doubt the Fiji state dinner with no tiara had anything to do with Fiji specifically. The BRF just don’t do international tiara state dinner much anymore. I remember there weren’t tiaras when Cambridges visited Sweden and Norway either.

I doubt the Fiji state dinner with no tiara had anything to do with Fiji specifically. The BRF just don’t do international tiara state dinner much anymore. I remember there weren’t tiaras when Cambridges visited Sweden and Norway either.
The BRF wear tiaras to state dinners, but if the Head of State does not attend, it is not a state dinner but an official dinner. This is why neither Camilla, Kate or Meghan will be seen in a tiara abroad, other than for CHOGM dinners.

Note: This post was subsequently amended for typos.

Last edited:
The BRF wear tiaras to state dinners, but if the Head of State dies it attend, it is not a state dinner but an official dinner. Thus us why neither Camilla, Kate or Newham will be seen in a tiara abroad, other than for CHOGM dinners.

who is Newham?

The BRF wear tiaras to state dinners, but if the Head of State dies it attend, it is not a state dinner but an official dinner. Thus us why neither Camilla, Kate or Newham will be seen in a tiara abroad, other than for CHOGM dinners.

The Fiji state dinner was billed as state dinner.

And that’s certainly not always been the case with BRF and tiaras overseas. Off the top of my head, Diana has worn tiaras overseas without the Queen on foreign tours, and so did Fergie.

Last edited:

The Queen usually hosts two State Visit’s every year. Now, perhaps since there was no Spring State Visit this year, we might only see one with the Trump thing. If there’s another one in the fall, Harry and Meghan will most likely attend. Given their Commonwealth roles, I suspect we might see them start attending the Diplomatic Corps Reception. I wouldn’t think Windsor might be the place it will be held since Buckingham Palace is going through renovations.

It's not custom in Fiji to wear crowns/tiaras either. Different cultures.

As far as the State Dinner it really wouldn't matter if she wanted to be there or not...if you are expected to be there, you go.

Sure, but the point is that in June, Meghan will still be on maternity leave, so she does have an option of not attending. I only brought up this speculation because tiaras are worn at state dinners, and I am looking forward to seeing Meghan attend her first state dinner, wearing a fabulous tiara that we can then delightedly view and discuss. ?

But I'd rather Meghan's first state dinner be one involving European royal dignitaries!

The Fiji state dinner was billed as state dinner.

As far as the UK government is concerned, a state dinner is only a state dinner when the Head of State attends. The government of Fiji can bill it as they wish, but from a UK perspective, it was not.

And that’s certainly not always been the case with BRF and tiaras overseas. Off the top of my head, Diana has worn tiaras overseas without the Queen on foreign tours, and so did Fergie.

You are right, decades ago tiaras were worn more frequently by ladies of the BRF. The Queen used to wear a tiara to the Royal Variety Show, and sometimes to the theatre as well. What I described in the post is what the usual practice now appears to be. In 14 years of being Princess of Wales, Camilla has only worn a tiara four times, when abroad. Of those, thrice were at CHOGM dinners (in Kampala (2007), Colombo (2013) and Malta (2015)) and once was the night before the inauguration of King W-A of the Netherlands in 2013.

When C&C conduct their overseas tours, they are pretty close to being state visits. However, the agreed protocol with host countries is that the "gala" dinner will be Black Tie dinners as opposed to White Tie, and hence, tiaras are not worn. This was very clearly demonstrated in 2011 when they visited Spain and then Denmark, Sweden and Norway (2012).

Last edited:

For most of the Queen's reign, the pattern has been that there are incoming state visits in the spring (usually March) and the autumn (usually November). In the last 2-3 years, things appear to have gone a bit awry, and this pattern appears to have been broken. For example the Spanish state visit was rescheduled twice, at relatively short notice, to accommodate elections in Spain and then the UK.

Back
Top Bottom