Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 7: September 2011- December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe that is correct. I do not think the "breastplate" has been altered and any part of it worn in public.

I have seen the picture but the maker of these has "forgotten" to add "photoshopped" to it. I was fooled, the result looked good anyway.

The Duchess of Cornwall has been seen with three ruby necklaces so far, I think:

Breastplate 1

Breastplate 2

The Keppel ruby collier

I think it depends on the dress. if the dess is in a single colour then it would look better. And of course in the example you choose there is the bow opver the necklace. But that was in the 80's. In todays fashion there would be no bow.
I agree. Those examples are shiny and patterns. Doesn't make the point. Plus in them the neckline doesn't coincide with the shape of the necklace.

By the way, why do we ask ourselves when we see Queen Mathilde with jewels: are these real or costume jewerly? Why do we never ask this when we see the Duchess of Cornwall or Queen Máxima? Who knows this necklace is all rhinstones and garnets....

;)

I think we will continue to see her in these collar necklaces and over skin. And I have always thought her husband quite approves of of this kind of look for her. In fact, I think he favors it - hence her low necklines, IMHO. ;)

By the way, why do we ask ourselves when we see Queen Mathilde with jewels: are these real or costume jewerly? Why do we never ask this when we see the Duchess of Cornwall or Queen Máxima? Who knows this necklace is all rhinstones and garnets....

;)

Q.Maxima's jewelry is quite often labelled costume jewelry, but with those pieces it's usually quite obvious they are not real, so that's why we don't have to ask ourselves
:lol:

I think we will continue to see her in these collar necklaces and over skin. And I have always thought her husband quite approves of of this kind of look for her. In fact, I think he favors it - hence her low necklines, IMHO. ;)

I think Camilla should take fashion advice from her dresser, not her husband. There's nothing wrong with wearing jewels over fabric, especially for a lady of her age and the fact that she's a grandmother. The Queen manages to do this very well. Some fabric colors are the perfect backdrop for some jewels.

:previous: Queen Mary made it an art form. Perhaps Camilla will adopt her habit of wearing seemingly low-cut gowns with a fine mesh flesh-coloured fabric linking the bodice to the necklace. And she can start wearing some of QM's stomachers and really go overboard. :D

Last edited:
the nude sheer fabric is called illusion, frequently used in figure skating dresses. It also has the advantage of 'phototshopping' the wrinkley decolletage smooth. But you can pin anything, especially something heavy, on to it.

:previous: Sounds great. Camilla definitely should invest in some. And I probably should, too. :D

Last edited:
IMO, Camilla prefers the smaller necklaces and only wears these large one because she received them as gifts as the wife of the POW. Her designer designs dresses to show off the jewelry.

IMO, she needs a new designer.

Her smaller ruby necklace was worn in Philadelphia.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SRzh60gEwdg/UAi96SzOocI/AAAAAAAAJHg/e7cC8N0dpRY/s1600/_Necklaces1.jpg

I agree that she needs a new designer if they are designing these dresses specifically for the jewels. But in the pictures you posted the dress dips lower than it needs to be, even for the length of the jewels.

Last edited by a moderator:
The DM's article suggests the 2 ruby necklaces are valued at £3 million (approx $4.5m USD) each! That can't be right, surely?

In the first picture of the new necklace in the DM's article the rubies have a distinct pink hue.

I'm certain the new necklace is ruby and diamond.. the idea that the Saudi's would give garnets in UNTHINKABLE..

The DM's article suggests the 2 ruby necklaces are valued at £3 million (approx $4.5m USD) each! That can't be right, surely?

In the first picture of the new necklace in the DM's article the rubies have a distinct pink hue.

The DM has a tendency to overreact everything. My estimation is that both suites are worth around £1 - £1,5 million each. It are brand new jewels without any provenance, there are no famous jewels involveded and the design is eh... not to everyone's taste. It is and remains an amazingly lavish gift but tja... what is the next time when someone is beheaded in Saudi Arabia for expressing his free opinion? Will King Charles at one side say "Je suis Charlie!" and at the other side accept cassettes with glittering diamonds? Exactly for these reasons, other royal families do not accept such gifts...

It's not possible to accurately value a parure without knowing the metal, stones and stone quality. And that's assuming impeccable settings and craftsmanship (and we know there can be issues...)
Because of the venue and photo quality, we can't even discern the color of the stones.
We can only guess. And we are. :)

I've often heard that Charles sends a rep to all the major auctions, in order to find suitable pieces for Camilla. Lucky her!

(Though I read somewhere, I forget where, that he was outbid by Elizabeth Taylor once, for a piece from the Duchess of Windsor's estate that displayed the POW feathers! Can't imagine why ET would want that, but it's what I read).

Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 7: September 2011-

As for the garnet/ruby debate, I don't think these are garnets. Not all rubies have a pinkish tint to them. Especially if they have major inclusions or are of not so great quality. Also there are many "blood rubies" out there that have a darker hue to them and that gives them look a deeper red color. As another poster said I highly doubt a Saudi royal family member would give a future queen consort garnets and diamonds. Saudis usually go all out on jewels.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Saudi jewels 2ruby breastplates, sapphire and emerald necklaces that have been given to Camilla - are not to many peoples tastes and not many can carry them off. They are huge and in my opinion quite vulgar. I would say that in future generations of monarchy these jewels could be remodelled to make them more wearable

The Saudis do 'go all out' on gifts of jewels but that doesnt mean they have taste or elegance about the pieces they give

That is true but Camilla should at least once have worn these gifts as intended. She has now, so she can request the Court Jeweller to adapt the suites to her wishes. Or never wear these anymore. Also possible.

The Emerald necklace is my favourite too..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom