Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 7: September 2011- December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That necklace is stunning. Camilla pulls it off very well.

I'm going back and forth on whether it's new or a re-work.

It's different necklacse as the rubies are different shapes and sizes. The older
breastplate's rubies are oval shaped while last night necklace has larger pear shaped
rubies.

I stand corrected after seeing the pictures vis-à-vis. The rubies in the "new" demi-parure are all pear-shaped, whereas the rubies of the necklace worn in Philadelphia are oval, so both sets are different indeed. It is amazing but also strange that the Duchess has now sets which are -in the eye of the public- almost identical.

:previous: At the very least it is astonishing that she now has two ruby sets - and that both necklaces are bib/breastplate in style.

They are both gorgeous, though I don't think either fits the Duchess perfectly. But she likes big pieces, he likes to buy her big pieces, and he likes to see her in big pieces, I presume.

I did imagine what it would be like to swan around in the new necklace. Delish!

It's not elegant which is what I would expect from the wife of the heir.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Exactly. There's a difference between being elegant and being over the top. Yes, the consort to the heir to the throne should have substantial jewels but it's also a matter of taste. This type of necklace IMO is more suited for the Queen of Brunei or Sheikha Mozah rather than the Duchess. It's too over the top.

hey are bith very heavy pieces, but far in away I prefer the newly appeared one.

It's different necklacse as the rubies are different shapes and sizes. The older
breastplate's rubies are oval shaped while last night necklace has larger pear shaped
rubies.

Yep, I just looked at some other pics and see that they are indeed different necklaces.

I prefer the older necklace. The design is nicer and I like the way it's structured - it just hangs better.

I am amazed there are still rubies being found of such a size. These are very large tear drops. If the other breast plate design was touted as being worth over 1 million pounds imagine the cost of this one.

Looking at the pictures of both ruby necklaces, I like the way the older necklace lays, but I like the style of the newer necklace better.

I would wear either one.

Having now seen them both- I can't decide which I love more. Love them both!

Just wonderful necklace and she wears it well, great to air out the bling, flaunt it baby flaunt it

I dislike both ruby necklaces immensely, they are far from elegant - downright ugly IMHO. Anyway, it is polite of the duchess to wear it once and she wears them well. I suppose the necklace will end up on the pile of ME jewel gifts she already has and hopefully they will be redesigned at a later point, the rubies themselves are of an amazing size indeed and deserve a nicer setting to do them justice. I think the Duchess has much more elegant jewels at her desposal which I hope she will wear instead of these curious designs. The small Keppel ruby tiara/necklace is far prettier than these two things for example.

Last edited:
I hope I never see this necklace again I really find it ugly
I doubt Kate would ever wear it as she's more into understated elegant pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Has the Duchess worn the breastplate more than once? I don't remember that she wore it again and tend to think that it was worn out of curtesy for those who gave it.

I would split up both necklaces and create several smaller and more wearable pieces.

I dislike both ruby necklaces immensely, they are far from elegant - downright ugly IMHO. Anyway, it is polite of the duchess to wear it once and she wears them well. I suppose the necklace will end up on the pile of ME jewel gifts she already has and hopefully they will be redesigned at a later point, the rubies themselves are of an amazing size indeed and deserve a nicer setting to do them justice. I think the Duchess has much more elegant jewels at her desposal which I hope she will wear instead of these curious designs. The small Keppel ruby tiara/necklace is far prettier than these two things for example.

Has the Duchess worn the breastplate more than once? I don't remember that she wore it again and tend to think that it was worn out of curtesy for those who gave it.

I would split up both necklaces and create several smaller and more wearable pieces.

I think the newer one is much nicer than the older one. That said, I doubt either of these necklaces will see much use in the medium term.

That said, I think the second one certainly could be altered to reduce its size and scale a little bit, so that the resultant necklace is more usable. Rubies look lovely on Camilla, and I think she can do with a usable ruby and diamond necklace.

I think the newer one is much nicer than the older one. That said, I doubt either of these necklaces will see much use in the medium term.

That said, I think the second one certainly could be altered to reduce its size and scale a little bit, so that the resultant necklace is more usable. Rubies look lovely on Camilla, and I think she can do with a usable ruby and diamond necklace.

I also like the second ruby necklace much better then the ruby pleastplate. It looks like one or two of the rows could also be removd to make it more wearable.

Charles likes to see jewels on his wives. I think Camilla looks rather elegant in single strand necklaces. Her necklace she wore the other night really didn't suit her, IMO.

Charles likes to see jewels on his wives. I think Camilla looks rather elegant in single strand necklaces. Her necklace she wore the other night really didn't suit her, IMO.

The Prince's first spouse was not remarkably bejewelled. In all her years as Princess of Wales she only had the smaller Spencer diadem on loan and the Lovers' Knot diadem. For the rest the Princess did not that that many jewels, apart from the ocassional choker here or there.

The Prince's first spouse was not remarkably bejewelled. In all her years as Princess of Wales she only had the smaller Spencer diadem on loan and the Lovers' Knot diadem. For the rest the Princess did not that that many jewels, apart from the ocassional choker here or there.

She also wore some necklaces too. I'm just saying that he like them to dress up and dress well.

Over on the Royal Sartorial blog, several people are suggesting these mighty ruby necklaces might be shown to better effect on Camilla if worn over a garment rather than next to the skin - I think it's a fair point. I'm wondering what other mature royal ladies have succeeded with this look.

I agree. I'd like to see this necklace taken down to one strand then the rest used to make a ruby tiara of some sort. I think that would look much better on Camilla rather than this huge "breast plate" look.

Over on the Royal Sartorial blog, several people are suggesting these mighty ruby necklaces might be shown to better effect on Camilla if worn over a garment rather than next to the skin - I think it's a fair point. I'm wondering what other mature royal ladies have succeeded with this look.

Nooooo... better NO necklace than a nacklace worn on a garment. It is usually no success, see example.

I agree. I'd like to see this necklace taken down to one strand then the rest used to make a ruby tiara of some sort. I think that would look much better on Camilla rather than this huge "breast plate" look.

When this necklace was a gift, then it is a sign of good manners to wear it at least once, as was intended. After this, the Duchess is free to request the Court Jeweller to adapt the necklace to her wishes.

:flowers:

Camilla has done that too with the other "breastplate". She has worn that necklace with a single row too.

I am not sure the "red" stones are rubies. Most of the stones appear to have ox-blood brown-red tints and I also do miss some clarity. Real rubies of good quality have a clarity. When you look at the two large ruby parures in the Dutch collection, the ruby parure worn by the Crown Princess of Denmark ánd the necklace from ruby parure worn by Queen Elizabeth then you can see pinkish undertones. These seem missing from the Duchess' necklace.

:flowers:

Camilla has done that too with the other "breastplate". She has worn that necklace with a single row too.

The breasplate was only worn once in 2007 and then has been never seen again. Also not in a changed Version.

I don't believe that is correct. I do not think the "breastplate" has been altered and any part of it worn in public.

Nooooo... better NO necklace than a nacklace worn on a garment. It is usually no success, see example.
Well, duh. If it is that printed! But over a simple dress it can look really good if done right. Especially if the neckline coincides with the shape/start of the necklace to make it look like it's the decoration of the neckline.

Something like this but imagine the breastplate instead: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/28/article-2067370-0EF9E97400000578-704_468x455.jpg

That would look gorgeous and show off the jewels instead of the cleavage.

Well, duh. If it is that printed! But over a simple dress it can look really good if done right. Especially if the neckline coincides with the shape/start of the necklace to make it look like it's the decoration of the neckline.

Something like this but imagine the breastplate instead: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/28/article-2067370-0EF9E97400000578-704_468x455.jpg

That would look gorgeous and show off the jewels instead of the cleavage.

In my mind, the cleavage is a less of an issue, but the design and scale of both the necklaces are the bigger issues.

Last edited:
No it will look hideous. It is already on the edge with he pearls, these should feel skin, not textile. I have seen a piture of Queen Elizabeth with a diamond collier worn over a high collared dress. Never seen something more awful than that. I will look for it.

See the horror: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9flgOHDMr...+wearing+the+King+Khalid+necklace%2C+1982.jpg

I think it depends on the dress. if the dess is in a single colour then it would look better. And of course in the example you choose there is the bow opver the necklace. But that was in the 80's. In todays fashion there would be no bow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom