The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post

That said, I think the second one certainly could be altered to reduce its size and scale a little bit, so that the resultant necklace is more usable. Rubies look lovely on Camilla, and I think she can do with a usable ruby and diamond necklace.

I agree. I'd like to see this necklace taken down to one strand then the rest used to make a ruby tiara of some sort. I think that would look much better on Camilla rather than this huge "breast plate" look.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Over on the Royal Sartorial blog, several people are suggesting these mighty ruby necklaces might be shown to better effect on Camilla if worn over a garment rather than next to the skin - I think it's a fair point. I'm wondering what other mature royal ladies have succeeded with this look.
Nooooo... better NO necklace than a nacklace worn on a garment. It is usually no success, see example.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
I agree. I'd like to see this necklace taken down to one strand then the rest used to make a ruby tiara of some sort. I think that would look much better on Camilla rather than this huge "breast plate" look.
When this necklace was a gift, then it is a sign of good manners to wear it at least once, as was intended. After this, the Duchess is free to request the Court Jeweller to adapt the necklace to her wishes.

Camilla has done that too with the other "breastplate". She has worn that necklace with a single row too.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Majesty

I am not sure the "red" stones are rubies. Most of the stones appear to have ox-blood brown-red tints and I also do miss some clarity. Real rubies of good quality have a clarity. When you look at the two large ruby parures in the Dutch collection, the ruby parure worn by the Crown Princess of Denmark ánd the necklace from ruby parure worn by Queen Elizabeth then you can see pinkish undertones. These seem missing from the Duchess' necklace.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

Camilla has done that too with the other "breastplate". She has worn that necklace with a single row too.
The breasplate was only worn once in 2007 and then has been never seen again. Also not in a changed Version.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I don't believe that is correct. I do not think the "breastplate" has been altered and any part of it worn in public.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Nooooo... better NO necklace than a nacklace worn on a garment. It is usually no success, see example.
Well, duh. If it is that printed! But over a simple dress it can look really good if done right. Especially if the neckline coincides with the shape/start of the necklace to make it look like it's the decoration of the neckline.

Something like this but imagine the breastplate instead: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...04_468x455.jpg

That would look gorgeous and show off the jewels instead of the cleavage.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Well, duh. If it is that printed! But over a simple dress it can look really good if done right. Especially if the neckline coincides with the shape/start of the necklace to make it look like it's the decoration of the neckline.

Something like this but imagine the breastplate instead: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...04_468x455.jpg

That would look gorgeous and show off the jewels instead of the cleavage.
In my mind, the cleavage is a less of an issue, but the design and scale of both the necklaces are the bigger issues.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Majesty

No it will look hideous. It is already on the edge with he pearls, these should feel skin, not textile. I have seen a piture of Queen Elizabeth with a diamond collier worn over a high collared dress. Never seen something more awful than that. I will look for it.

See the horror: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9flgOHDMrH...%252C+1982.jpg
Old 02-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
No it will look hideous. It is already on the edge with he pearls, these should feel skin, not textile. I have seen a piture of Queen Elizabeth with a diamond collier worn over a high collared dress. Never seen something more awful than that. I will look for it.

See the horror: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9flgOHDMrH...%252C+1982.jpg
I think it depends on the dress. if the dess is in a single colour then it would look better. And of course in the example you choose there is the bow opver the necklace. But that was in the 80's. In todays fashion there would be no bow.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I don't believe that is correct. I do not think the "breastplate" has been altered and any part of it worn in public.
I have seen the picture but the maker of these has "forgotten" to add "photoshopped" to it. I was fooled, the result looked good anyway.

The Duchess of Cornwall has been seen with three ruby necklaces so far, I think:

Breastplate 1

Breastplate 2

The Keppel ruby collier
Old 02-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I think it depends on the dress. if the dess is in a single colour then it would look better. And of course in the example you choose there is the bow opver the necklace. But that was in the 80's. In todays fashion there would be no bow.
I agree. Those examples are shiny and patterns. Doesn't make the point. Plus in them the neckline doesn't coincide with the shape of the necklace.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Majesty

By the way, why do we ask ourselves when we see Queen Mathilde with jewels: are these real or costume jewerly? Why do we never ask this when we see the Duchess of Cornwall or Queen Máxima? Who knows this necklace is all rhinstones and garnets....

Old 02-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I have seen the picture but the maker of these has "forgotten" to add "photoshopped" to it. I was fooled, the result looked good anyway.

The Duchess of Cornwall has been seen with three ruby necklaces so far, I think:

Breastplate 1

Breastplate 2

The Keppel ruby collier
That's always the problem with putting a photoshop job on the web, you have idea where the image might bet used!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I think we will continue to see her in these collar necklaces and over skin. And I have always thought her husband quite approves of of this kind of look for her. In fact, I think he favors it - hence her low necklines, IMHO.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
That's always the problem with putting a photoshop job on the web, you have idea where the image might bet used!
I always put photoshopped as a watermark on mine to avoid confusion
Old 02-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Breastplate 1

Breastplate 2

The Keppel ruby collier
Love the first 2- dislike #3.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Love the first 2- dislike #3.
Well # 3 is actually a wonderful design but it is exactly ruined because it is worn over textile and not entirely on skin.... Here you see the same collier, now on a frame to be worn as a halo diadem: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-E8HouEw669...bc04da8416.jpg
Old 02-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well # 3 is actually a wonderful design but it is exactly ruined because it is worn over textile and not entirely on skin.... Here you see the same collier, now on a frame to be worn as a halo diadem: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-E8HouEw669...bc04da8416.jpg
No, it's ruined because it is worn the wrong way with a dress. The necklace is circular and the neckline straight. That + shiny blue fabric is wrong. Not all fabric :P
Old 02-19-2015, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I love it that way.