The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
It's not. The shape of the rubies is very different and they can't be reshaped to these rubies because they are to large to have been remade from the old ones.
Then I rephrase, the new one is lovely and FAR more attractively set.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Royal Highness

The problem with this kind of Middle East jewel is that the cut of the stones and the craftmanship are not the best. I think Camilla look smashing with her simple diamond rivieres and of course her wonderful collection of pearl shockers. But again, personnal taste.
On a second thought, i agree with the above posters about the Indian inspiration of the design. If not my taste, it's certainly an intriguing piece of jewellery.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I definitely feel its a rework of the ruby necklace. I love it. She looks beautiful.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think she looked lovey and old or new loot, that is what is part of their game.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:31 PM
Heir Apparent

WOW! Amazing! Love that necklace- so stunning! So much more beautiful than the breastplate, and I love the breastplate! Amazed at how fabulous the necklace goes with that dress- I would have thought amethysts would have been better, but that rocks!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:42 PM
Gentry

I am hoping that the necklace can be broken down into smaller pieces. It looks like it may breakdown to 4 separate strings (??)

I think that the Duchess has the decolletage to pull this off.

Along with the matching earrings and bracelet, this parure should be quite versatile.

We'll have to see if its provenance becomes known over the next while.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:27 PM
Courtier

Hurray - new jewels! I feel like we see bling so rarely from the RF these days. We know they have vaults full of some of the most magnificent gems on the planet and yet we never get to see them! I applaud the Duchess for wearing them (and Charles for wanting her to do so) because then I get to see them. I especially like the earrings- those look to be seriously large rubies.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:36 AM
Royal Highness

I prefer the Saudi 'breastplate'.

The pear shaped stones are not evenly distributed. IMO, it would look better with only the 4/5 center pear rubies with the rest of the necklace set in the diamond 'lace'.

The top row would make a nice necklace and can be worn for formal or special occasion or even day time events.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
I am hoping that the necklace can be broken down into smaller pieces. It looks like it may breakdown to 4 separate strings (??)

I think that the Duchess has the decolletage to pull this off.

Along with the matching earrings and bracelet, this parure should be quite versatile.

We'll have to see if its provenance becomes known over the next while.
I thought Camilla carried off the necklace very well. It is a big and daunting piece, and takes a certain presence to ensure that the necklace does not overpower the wearer.

I think if the smallest string of diamonds and rubies were to be removed, the whole necklace can be pulled closer to the neck, and the overall effect would considerably be improved. It would also mean Camilla could also probably wear a dress that did not have as low a neck as is required for this necklace in its current form.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Probably new. Charles was in the middle east recently, you know :P
I am conscience that Charles has recently done a whirlwind tour of the M-E, but I suspect this demi-parure has sat in the CH vaults for some time, possibly since the last time C&C visited the M-E together (in 2013?). Camilla has been very reserved in her usage of the bigger jewellery pieces for the last 5-6 years, possibly because of the economic downturn. She stuck to a few signature pieces and the chokers for many years in between. Only recently have some newer pieces (including the minor collet necklace with the fabulous sapphire pendant) started to emerge. Also, this dress was probably specially designed to showcase this demi-parure.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I prefer the Saudi 'breastplate'.

The pear shaped stones are not evenly distributed. IMO, it would look better with only the 4/5 center pear rubies with the rest of the necklace set in the diamond 'lace'.

The top row would make a nice necklace and can be worn for formal or special occasion or even day time events.
I’m glad that I’m not the only one who prefers the old breastplate. It has a more ‘structured’ look, whereas the new necklace looks more confusing to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am conscience that Charles has recently done a whirlwind tour of the M-E, but I suspect this demi-parure has sat in the CH vaults for some time, possibly since the last time C&C visited the M-E together (in 2013?). Camilla has been very reserved in her usage of the bigger jewellery pieces for the last 5-6 years, possibly because of the economic downturn. She stuck to a few signature pieces and the chokers for many years in between. Only recently have some newer pieces (including the minor collet necklace with the fabulous sapphire pendant) started to emerge. Also, this dress was probably specially designed to showcase this demi-parure.
Aren’t all gifts published these days? If the new necklace is a ME gift from 2013, the info should be out there. That said I am with those who think that the necklace is not a re-work. The size and shape of the rubies simply does not correspond.

I think that the dress was meant to showcase the old breastplate necklace. To me it seems to be the same dress (compare the identical way the arms are set in, the colour and material). Only now the cleavage was changed by adding a kind of satin (?) colar.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:34 AM
Gentry

Only "official" gifts are catalogued. If this were a private gift, then it would not show on the palace's published lists.

We must remember too that, being a gift, official or private, HRH has some obligation to wear it - at least once, as a mark of respect and appreciation to the giftor.

We may not see this parure often and the necklace may be reworked in the future.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post

Aren’t all gifts published these days? If the new necklace is a ME gift from 2013, the info should be out there. That said I am with those who think that the necklace is not a re-work. The size and shape of the rubies simply does not correspond.

There are, and the lists for 2013 talk about receiving a parure, with no further details.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

It is the same necklace in a different arrangement. If there is any lady who can wear this off, then it is Camilla of Cornwall. What an awesome sight.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is the same necklace in a different arrangement. If there is any lady who can wear this off, then it is Camilla of Cornwall. What an awesome sight.
What's your facts? To me the new shape of the rubies would not have been able to be this size if they were remade from the old rubies?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Those rubies are far larger than the others we're used to seeing. I think this is a new bauble...and she wears it well!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Those rubies are far larger than the others we're used to seeing. I think this is a new bauble...and she wears it well!
Fully agree with you.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:14 AM
Serene Highness

WOW. I think it's smashing, and good for her. If you have it, flaunt it. Isn't that what royalty is all about?
Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
WOW. I think it's smashing, and good for her. If you have it, flaunt it. Isn't that what royalty is all about?
I agree, one of the reason I watch royalty is they can wear huge pieces of jewelry and still be appropriate. I love it and I want to see more. There are plenty of royal ladies who only earrings or simple pieces. I say, Queen Maxima and Queen Elizabeth II and the Duchess of Cornwall; wear what you have and I will always applaud!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

That necklace is stunning. Camilla pulls it off very well.

I'm going back and forth on whether it's new or a re-work.

Closed Thread