Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 7: September 2011- December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite like the demi-parure, but it is quite insignificant compared to the gorgeous baubles the Duchess already has in her treasure chest.

Indeed. It is not that the Prince of Wales has to buy every little hiccup once associated with his or her ancestors...

Queen Camilla, the information on the Tiara reset as necklace [second on the left in this photo] comes from 'the Royal Order of Sartorial Splendour', which is fairly reputable, I believe.. I can find no photograph of the Tiara in its original form.

Attachments

• _Necklaces2.jpg
    _Necklaces2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 339
Well I understood that this was the trend in this thread: items apparently once worn by Camilla's ancestor should be bought for her?

No, have to say I have not read any instructions to The Prince of Wales to buy everything. I think it is lovely myself, although it might be a bit much for the office.

Queen Camilla, the information on the Tiara reset as necklace [second on the left in this photo] comes from 'the Royal Order of Sartorial Splendour', which is fairly reputable, I believe.. I can find no photograph of the Tiara in its original form.

Here's the info from The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendour. No Alice...

She also has a necklace reportedly made from a dismantled tiara bought by her husband (second from left).

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: A Few of Camilla's Sparkliest Things

:previous: You're right, but the statement always makes any discussion of Camilla's jewels sort of salacious. Not only does it not mention Alice, can anyone actually identify any of Camilla's jewels from Charles as having belonged to Alice?

Richard Kay (and Geoffrey Levy) said:
Who wrote in the Daily Mail (surprise, surprise):

" Over the years, stretching back long before he and Mrs Parker Bowles finally married almost three years ago, Charles has been scouring the auction rooms and antique shops in an amorous quest to locate and buy pieces of jewellery that Edward is known to have given Alice.

He has lavished tens of thousands of pounds on this nostalgic search, and both he and Camilla - who keeps a portrait of Mrs Keppel at her Wiltshire home, Ray Mill House - have drawn much intimate pleasure from the collection. To the delight of the Prince, she wears the pieces on special private occasions."
And Richie and Geoffy would know of course . . . they have such impeccable sources.

Last edited:
Nice and different necklace. I have a question. This is gift for the Duchess of Cornwall. This is a personal gift mean that keeps the duchess and inherits or where he belongs to the royal family? Generally the case for all the gifts that are given to such visits?

Thank you so much. I believe me too that this necklace must be Official gift.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some jewels worn at the Australian Tour:

November 11: Four strand peal choker with a diamond clasp and pearl earrings.
The Prince Of Wales & Duchess Of Cornwall Visit Australia - Day 2 | Getty Images

November 11, Canberra: Camilla wore a single strand pearl necklace with a ball-shaped golden clasp.
The Prince Of Wales & Duchess Of Cornwall Visit Australia - Day 2 | Getty Images

November 12: I think that the Duchess is wearing a regimental badge here?
The Prince Of Wales & Duchess Of Cornwall Visit Australia - Day 3 | Getty Images

No, I don't know much about her chokers. There is one with a pink stone (topaz?), one with aquamarine in a gold setting, one with sapphire (?), this one, and maybe more. But it is certainly a style of jewel that the Duchess very much likes to wear.

Thanks a lot MARG, she is wearing them perfectly , it is her style.
I think she bust have an excellent jeweler and interchangeable claps !

:previous: Yes many of us thought that she had interchangeable clasps as well, but an in-depth look at the size and colour of the pearls leads us to believe they all have their own pearls which, when you really think about it, is amazingly awesome.

Old photos show the some of the chokers, like the garnet clasp one, predate her wedding to Charles. For example, the pearls are different colours, sizes and the number of strings vary.

Lucky, lucky, Camilla, although it has been lovely on this tour to New Zealand and Australia, to see her longer strands as well, but I don't think my favourite three string with a diamond clasp which originally belonged the Queen Mother.

http://i60.tinypic.com/msioeg.jpg

'Pearls are a girl's best friends'? :flowers:

I was wondering about the term 'choker', when does a necklace become a choker? So far I thought that a choker is a very short necklace that sits very high around your throat. It chokes you, so to speak .;) So those necklaces that lie on the shoulders and hang down in the front aren't chokers in the strict sense of the word. But I'm not so sure if my understanding of the term is correct. Can somebody help?

:previous: You are quite right, a choker is like all those shown.

I thought I was clear when I referred to her
longer strands as well, but I don't think my favourite three string with a diamond clasp which originally belonged the Queen Mother . . .
I did not say actually say it was not a choker.

Here's a few websites.

This one shows the length on a 'model'.
https://www.thepearlsource.com/necklace-lengths.php

from a jewelry store
Pearl Jewelry Buyer’s Guide – Learn How to Buy Pearl Jewelry from Zales
Bib: A Bib necklace consists of several strands of pearls of varying lengths.
Collar: Consisting of multiple strands of pearls, Collar necklaces were very popular during the Victorian era and are worn high on the neck. Most examples of this type of necklace are 12-13 inches long.
Choker: Similar to a collar necklace, a Choker is worn somewhat lower on the neck and is 14-16 inches long.
Princess: Recognized as the classic length for a pearl necklace, the Princess lies slightly below the neck. A versatile necklace, the Princess can be matched with many different styles of clothing with varying necklines. This type of necklace is 17-19 inches long.
Matinee: This style is routinely seen in more formal and semi-formal situation with both suits and dresses. The Matinee necklace is approximately is 20-24 inches long.
Opera: Falling below the bust line, the Opera necklace tends to be worn at formal occasions. For less formal occasions and daytime wear, the Opera can be knotted or the strand can be doubled over. This necklace is 30-36 inches long.
Rope: The longest of all pearl necklace styles, the Rope necklace can be doubled, as well as knotted to reduce its length of 36 + inches long.

Last edited:
Marg, my post was meant in a more general way and was not meant as criticism of your post. :flowers: It's just that I have read the term choker all over the net, often referring to longer necklaces. So I got confused.

Thanks for the explanatory links, Queen Camilla.

^ I always think of chokers as those multi-strand necklaces that Queen Alexandra seemed to be extremely fond of, consisting of pearls and diamond clasps. They were worn very high up on the neck and sometimes consisted of six rigid strands. Rumour had it, I believe, that Alexandra introduced chokers to hide a mark on her neck from a childhood operation.

My inner lepidopterist wants me to mention that Butterfly antennae are clubbed at the end (as in this brooch). Most moths have antennae that look a bit like fern fronds.
On the other hand, most moths rest with wings open and most butterflies rest with wings closed.
Perhaps the brooch designer just saw the butterfly as he or she had wings open. ;)

I love animal/insect/fish brooches. The Duchess of Windsor flamingo is one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom