The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:09 AM
Majesty

The Duchess of Cornwall is really such a great wearer of jewels. May she and Queen Máxima please keep up the royal standards for the future.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Good to know, thanks Muriel. Bye the bye, I think they are so much lovelier than the Saudi set which isn't exactly chopped liver either.
Fair point. I guess the problem is that the royal ladies of today do not really get a chance to choose their jewellery. It is either handed down, or received as gifts, which means they really do not get a chance to have jewellery that fully reflects their choices.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Is the turquoise bracelet new?

I wonder if the bracelet and/or peacock brooches have any connection to her brother Mark. (photo from same day as visit to St Ronan School)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...ND_OCTOBER.JPG
I've never seen them before on the Duchess,and wondered if they are new to her collection?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Duchess of Cornwall is really such a great wearer of jewels. May she and Queen Máxima please keep up the royal standards for the future.
Indeed. Though I have to say, you rarely see Camilla wear very expensive brooches these days. In the first 3-4 years of her marriage to the PoW, she wore a number of "serious" brooches that had previously been worn by QEQM, but since the economic downturn, she has been very subdued in the brooches she has used.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Indeed. Though I have to say, you rarely see Camilla wear very expensive brooches these days. In the first 3-4 years of her marriage to the PoW, she wore a number of "serious" brooches that had previously been worn by QEQM, but since the economic downturn, she has been very subdued in the brooches she has used.
I'm listening to Bradford's Diana recorded, just now. She mentions a sapphire brooch the POW gave Camilla back in the early 90s. Does anyone know which one this is? I'd love to sit down with the Duchess and sort through her jewelry. There must be great stories there. I actually hope that happens with some writer in the future, though I'm guessing her delight in privacy won't let that happen.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Fair point. I guess the problem is that the royal ladies of today do not really get a chance to choose their jewellery. It is either handed down, or received as gifts, which means they really do not get a chance to have jewellery that fully reflects their choices.
They can reset some things to make them more to their own liking.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:24 AM
Majesty

Camilla used her "new" art-deco style sapphire choker again yesterday at a reception to mark International Credit Union Day at Clarence House

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: International Credit Union Day Reception **
Old 10-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
They can reset some things to make them more to their own liking.
That's right, and HM has had a hack at a few things.

Personally, I just do no think Camilla is that into jewellery to bother. I think she, quite like HM, wears them as a prop for the job and little more.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That's right, and HM has had a hack at a few things.

Personally, I just do no think Camilla is that into jewellery to bother. I think she, quite like HM, wears them as a prop for the job and little more.
I think she most likes to wear things that have meaning. Some of the brooches from her father and pieces that Charles has given her.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Commoner

Do you think she would give some of her jewels to Kate and Harry's future wife, or just to her daughter and daughter-in-law?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelkiss View Post
Do you think she would give some of her jewels to Kate and Harry's future wife, or just to her daughter and daughter-in-law?
I would think that the jewelry that she wears that has meaning to Charles and the BRF such as her engagement ring which was once the Queen Mum's, would be returned to stay with the House of Windsor. Other personal jewelry would go to her own daughters and granddaughters I imagine. I don't see her distributing anything while she's alive but perhaps after her passing it will be stated in her will.

Just my take on things.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Well both Catherine and Harry's future wife have access to a not so small vault of their own mother's personal jewelery.

Camilla has her own daughter and daghter-in-law to pass her personal jewellery on to. But perhaps her engagement ring, with it's strong royal tie could either go back to the vaults or be buried with her.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It's a great question - but one for which we will have no answer for years and years. The Duchess also has a wide circle of friends and you could see pieces moving in that direction as well. But, I hope it's not for many years.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Royal Highness

Some pieces she wears might have been purchased by her brother as gifts to her or their mother or grandmother.

His main occupation for more than two decades was dealing in antiques, specializing in jewelry. He continued to dabble in antiques even after starting the Elephant foundation.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Commoner

I was thinking she might give Catherine and Harry's wife stuff Charles gave her. I know the blue choker is a family piece that we all know will go to her daughter, but the diamonds Charles given her and the pink topaz choker.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 AM
Majesty

Why? A personal gift is just that, personal. There is no caveat that once she dies they must be left to the giver's family/children. It would be different if they were from the family vaults but they are not.

Charles has a very discerning eye when it comes to jewellery and seems to buy bits here and there to be used in some way at a much later date.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
But perhaps her engagement ring, with it's strong royal tie could either go back to the vaults or be buried with her.
IMO it would be criminal for that ring to go into the grave. If QEQM was not burried with it, I cant see why it should be burried with it's more recent wearer!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
IMO it would be criminal for that ring to go into the grave. If QEQM was not burried with it, I cant see why it should be burried with it's more recent wearer!
I don't get the need to bury jewels with people. I am all for Camilla's jewels going to the Royal Collection / her children, step-children and their descendants.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Heir Apparent

The simplest way is all the jewelry got from her pre royal days or family goes to Tom and Laura. The jewelry from Charles goes back to the royal family. There is no reason for the Queen Mum's ring to be buried with Camilla when it can get passed down in the family.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-26-2014, 05:19 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Why? A personal gift is just that, personal. There is no caveat that once she dies they must be left to the giver's family/children. It would be different if they were from the family vaults but they are not.

Charles has a very discerning eye when it comes to jewellery and seems to buy bits here and there to be used in some way at a much later date.
Oh, I wasn't saying she had to. I just meant if she wanted to leave them something it'd probably be some Charles gave her like the Pink Topaz set.

Closed Thread