Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 7: September 2011- December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like her engagement ring at all.I like the size of it but not the ring.There's something about it that I don't like.

For some reason, this ring doesn't have the sparkle and fire that stones of that size and quality should have. This belonged to the QM of Great Britain and since the ring is fairly old, it could be the setting or the cut that's affecting the look of the diamonds. But this has wonderful royal provenance and Camilla is fortunate to reap the benefit of Charles' inheriting his grandmother's jewels.

I'm not a fan of Camila's engagement ring either, but I think the value behind it is what matters here. I believe Charles was close to his maternal grandmother, and the fact that he chose one of her rings for a woman who is also very significant to him says a great deal.

I don't like her engagement ring at all.I like the size of it but not the ring.There's something about it that I don't like.

For some reason, these stones always had a yellow tint to them, older stones were cut differently than today, and had a lot less "fire".

The official engagement photo did not do justice to the ring as it makes it look green/black. The only redeeming feature is that you can see the layout of the square-cut central diamond and the three flanking baguette diamonds on each shoulder. In the video of the formal engagement reception we can see it flashing white and in a recent photo of Camilla and Catherine there is a shot of her pointing something out. The ring looks magnificent but unfortunately, try as I might, I have not been able to find it again.

I did however find this:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/hornsen/gardbuck2.jpg

The mission is for someone to spot a decent (larger) shot of her ring in a random setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Marg, the diamond appears much whiter in that photo. That is a magnificent ring.

The center stone is an Emerald cut ( a step cut) which has much less sparkle and fire than a faceted cut. It also allows some of the light to escape from the sides of the stone rather than reflecting up ti the top of the stone. It also does not appear to be a D/E/F color stone...more yellow.

I think it was an issue with lightening; Camilla's engagement ring actually looks quite lovely in daylight.
- The Duchess of Cornwall wearing the ring during the two day visit to Portugal in March of 2011
- The late Queen Mother wearing the ring at an evening engagement in 1980's.

I never cared for the Emerald cut diamond because of it's lack of sparkle. I have always preferred the round Brilliant cut with all of it's facets! It is just a matter of taste... and Camilla wasn't about to refuse the ring! lol

It's a shame that for the size of the stones, it doesn't have the brilliance you want to see in diamonds. Remind me never to get an emerald cut for my next engagement!;)

I agree, the lighting certainly didn't do it any favours, but wow, how fabulous does it look in decent lighting, be it daylight or artificial. I am wondering if it looked so black/green because of a barrage of flashes since the photo of the QM wearing it in the evening looks almost as good as Camilla's daylight shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Camilla wore a beautiful sapphire and diamond brooch, as well as a lovely choker for the first day of official visit to Norway.

The brooch was once part of Russian Crown Jewels and was likely bought from Grand Duchess Xenia by Queen Mary. Apparently, it was kept in royal vaults for decades until Camilla came along; she has worn it on several occasions, including in Canada in 2009. Thanks to Warren and PrinceJohnny25 for information on the brooch !
Could anyone identify the choker?

Last edited:
Thanks for the close-ups of the beautiful brooch and Gorgeous pearl choker! I wish I could help you with info re the choker... I am certain that someone will be able to help.

I've never seen the turquoise necklace before. Is it new?

Gorgeous turquoise jewelry and they look sublime on that neckline.

Doubtful. I know i've seen it before.

Exquisite jewels! I wonder if she raided the vault or did Charles come up with a gift?? :)

I'm pretty sure this could have been a gift from Charles; I think I've seen this set before.

Indeed! This set was seen for the first time in 2002 :

Camilla Parker Bowles With Elton John At A Charity

If i'm not mistaken it's a family heirloom (she wore it several times with her own family tiara for the annual diplomatic reception at Buckingham Palace).

Last edited:
Thanks for digging that photo up, Nico, so this is obviously not a gift from Charles.

Camilla's necklace is comprised of more diamonds and has diamond fringes dangling between the turquoises which are larger than those in the Gloucester necklace.

Last edited:
Scroll down to see. It looks almost identical to what the Duchess of Gloucester has worn previously. Looks like it has been in the treasure trove for a long time.

I'm afraid it's a different set, the necklace doesn't match. The late Princess Margaret had a nice turquoise parure too...

I thought the idea of a parure was to mix and match various pieces from the set to make a necklace or tiara.....though it isn't identical, it appears the major stones are all there and in the proper place. No?

Thanks for digging that photo up, Nico, so this is obviously not a gift from Charles.

Could have been a gift from Charles before their marriage. It is said that he bought back jewels which once belonged to Alice Keppel and gave it as gifts to Camilla.

I thought the idea of a parure was to mix and match various pieces from the set to make a necklace or tiara.....though it isn't identical, it appears the major stones are all there and in the proper place. No?

Isn't the Gloucester parure still in the possession of that family? The family would mix and match the various pieces, not the Duchess of Cornwall. While the Gloucester necklace is similar in style, it's not the same.

Could have been a gift from Charles before their marriage. It is said that he bought back jewels which once belonged to Alice Keppel and gave it as gifts to Camilla.

That's right; I forgot about that possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom