Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 7: September 2011- December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of her chokers are 4 strands. If they were presentation pieces from long ago, they most likely wouldn't be interchangeable. BUT, we have no access so we can only guess.

I wonder why it is stated that Camilla's chokers are not interchangeable. Changing clasps or adding pearl strands seems the most easy to do with pearls, i.m.h.o.

Some of her chokers are 4 strands. If they were presentation pieces from long ago, they most likely wouldn't be interchangeable. BUT, we have no access so we can only guess.

They are also slightly different lengths, and the size of pearls varies as well.

LOL!!! I AM an expert. But, I agree It is very difficult to identify a blue stone, for sure, from a photograph.
Okay then. Our new mission is to ferret out more photos or information so you can tell us if we are on the money or just flat broke! :flowers:

Last edited:
I'm not as interested in pieces of jewelry as I am in gemstones. Could this piece be part of the Greville collection that was bequeathed to Cam's mother.

This could be a new (reworked) clasp. She could have received this for her recent birthday. The pearls are so white that it would be difficult for me to believe they were old. All pearls yellow, especially if they are kept in the dark (as in custom cases).

The two trillion cut stones are also thought provoking. This cut wasn't invented until the early 1960s and perfected in the 1970s. One can just about bet that trillions are included in Art Deco styles, but not authentic Art Deco pieces.

After looking at a couple of stones from my collection, I believe the colored stones are sapphires. In the photo, they appear to be matched stones (which is very time consuming if they weren't cut from the same rough).

Camilla already has a (large - looks to be at least 20 carats) clasp of fine Aqua, but I'm sure there's always room for one more!!

I hope everyone is on a photo hunt.

Since pearls need to be restrung every year or two, it would be easy to modify the pieve to make the jeweled centerpieces interchageable. You could also make the clasps able to do double duty as broochs.

Since pearls need to be restrung every year or two, it would be easy to modify the pieve to make the jeweled centerpieces interchageable. You could also make the clasps able to do double duty as broochs.

Entirely possible, but probably unnecessary. The size the pearls differs across a number of the necklaces.

Entirely possible, but probably unnecessary. The size the pearls differs across a number of the necklaces.
Hmm, I think Muriel has the right of it. Bottom line: she has no need to rotate the clasps. However, as KA has observed, presentation pieces wouldn't be interchangeable.

So while her pearl necklaces are such a variety of size, colour and length, on the whole it seems unlikely that the clasps are swapped around. However, Scooter is right on the money with her query on versatility. The maginificent Aquamarine clasp is reportedly able to be detached and used as a brooch.

Artemisia's Royal Jewels: Focus on... Camilla's Jewels: Pearl and Aquamarine Choker

I think good jewels have a versatility to give the owner a number of options. I am sure that every pearl collier and every clasp can be worn in a number of different settings.

Hmm, I think Muriel has the right of it. Bottom line: she has no need to rotate the clasps. However, as KA has observed, presentation pieces wouldn't be interchangeable.

So while her pearl necklaces are such a variety of size, colour and length, on the whole it seems unlikely that the clasps are swapped around. However, Scooter is right on the money with her query on versatility. The maginificent Aquamarine clasp is reportedly able to be detached and used as a brooch.

Artemisia's Royal Jewels: Focus on... Camilla's Jewels: Pearl and Aquamarine Choker

I have never seen the aquamarine clasp used as a brooch though.

:previous: Me neither, but much as I would love to see it, Camilla seems to be in no rush and apperars to be busily acquiring more brooches as well.

I have a question about the jewels that Camilla has received on official visits. I'm thinking, for example, of the ruby, sapphire and emerald necklaces she received during her trips to the Middle East.

Am I right in saying that these are considered personal gifts and, therefore, hers to do with as she pleases on her death? I would assume then that her children would likely inherit them in that case.

I have a question about the jewels that Camilla has received on official visits. I'm thinking, for example, of the ruby, sapphire and emerald necklaces she received during her trips to the Middle East.

Am I right in saying that these are considered personal gifts and, therefore, hers to do with as she pleases on her death? I would assume then that her children would likely inherit them in that case.

No - Since a number of years there is a regulation that Jewels given on official Visits etc. will go to the Royal Collection. Camilla has the use of it for as Dcuhess of Cornwall and later as Queen but after her death the will go the the Royal Collection. Think this would also happen in the case of a divorce but not sure.

I have never seen the aquamarine clasp used as a brooch though.

:previous: Me neither, but much as I would love to see it, Camilla seems to be in no rush and apperars to be busily acquiring more brooches as well.

All of which only reconfirms my view that whilst, in theory, it may be possible to interchange clasps and pearl strings for the various chokers, in practice, that is not the case.

Current regulations notwithstanding, I would be surprised if Camilla's children inherited jewels that she acquired in an official capacity. They may receive some of her personal jewels though.

Thank you, Stefan and Muriel. I'm quite relieved that these items will stay with the monarch. Camilla has an amazing private jewellery collection so I would assume much of that will go to her children (as it should).

I'd love to see someone do something with that ruby breastplate in the future. With a bit of creative thinking, it could be turned into a really amazing tiara.

No - Since a number of years there is a regulation that Jewels given on official Visits etc. will go to the Royal Collection. Camilla has the use of it for as Dcuhess of Cornwall and later as Queen but after her death the will go the the Royal Collection. Think this would also happen in the case of a divorce but not sure.
I think this is a really fuzzy area because gifts are officially exchanged between the host and the guest respectively. These are usually accompanied by photos and handshakes, etc.

However, what happens when the host bestows a personal gift of jewellery as a belated wedding present, birthday, etc. We have no way of knowing what changes hands then and I am not so sure that we need to. I mean, it's kind of bad ettiquette for the giver to read the full description of their gift, and it's monetary value, on a public list.

Hmm. :ohmy:

Gifts presented on official events, ie a visit to Saudi Arabia - the gifts are not personal. They have the use in their lifetime and then are returned to the monarch as stated by other posts.

Wedding and birthday gifts - even from Heads of State - are personal and could be kept.

All gifts returned to the monarch following the death of the original recipient are not liable for death duties; bequests to family and friends are liable.

Spheno,
Any idea when & where she previously wore this brooch?

Thanks for the picture.

The photos are amazing but I don't remember seeing Camilla wearing the Mountbatten emeralds. :ermm:

I think the Mountbatten emeralds are being confused with what we know as the Saudi emerald and diamond demi-parure. Other than this Pinterest, I have never seen Camilla wear the Mountbatten emeralds, nor have I ever read anything linking Charles or Camilla to them.

:previous: Good to know, thanks Muriel. Bye the bye, I think they are so much lovelier than the Saudi set which isn't exactly chopped liver either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom