The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
What is both weird and strange is your continual venting about the supposed great scam and that Charles is some sort of diabolically Machiavellian tax cheat.
Hear,hear... It is obvious that Countess is no devotee of the Prince, and his wife ! No opportunity to snipe at them is passed over...

Old 11-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Nobility

Since i'm not a fan of the crescent tiara [ I find the design very odd indeed ] I hope Charles will break it up and use the stones, and the diamonds and rubies from Camilla's Saudi 'breastplate', to create something better and more suited to his wife's considerable style. The BRF is in dire need of a ruby 'makeover', and has no shortage of raw materials...

Old 11-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Just to clarify, this is the Teck Crescent Tiara which is a lovely design and which we have yet to see Camilla wear. The third tiara in this link is the small Cubitt Shand Tiara which is Camilla's personal property.This is a better view of her daughter wearing the Cubitt. It's fairly clear that the two pieces are different.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Since i'm not a fan of the crescent tiara [ I find the design very odd indeed ] I hope Charles will break it up and use the stones, and the diamonds and rubies from Camilla's Saudi 'breastplate', to create something better and more suited to his wife's considerable style. The BRF is in dire need of a ruby 'makeover', and has no shortage of raw materials...
Breaking up a piece that goes back to Queen Mary's mother??? One just doesn't destroy such family heirlooms, they are historical. It would make my heart bleed....

Besides, I like the crescent tiara very much. Imo, it is better than all the contemporary tiaras I have seen so far.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

I had the most awful thought about this. What if when...
The Queen went through the boxes looking at baubles to loan to The Duchess of Cornwall.
She came across the Teck crescent tiara and necklace and handed them to Camilla saying something like"These are just too horrid on, but dear Mummy loved them. You can have them remade into something that suits you after I am gone." Or something like that.
Or the Queen could have said, "I give you these in hopes that after I am gone, you can wear them without the DM writing about how you are sending secret code to Islamic militants."
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 11-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Camilla wears Queen Mother's tiara as she dazzles at Prince Charles's side | Mail Online

The mighty Boucheron and the usual diamond earrings were out again in Colombo for the CHOGM dinner.
The tiara is stunning, and is divine with that dress.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Hear,hear... It is obvious that Countess is no devotee of the Prince, and his wife ! No opportunity to snipe at them is passed over...
Actually, I have come to like her. And he is who he is, neither good nor bad. I wasn't sniping at them, actually, I was sniping at the very brilliant system that the sovereigns put together for themselves, to avoid taxes on very expensive pieces. While others are denied that. So, Charles who, really, inherited all this stuff from his grandmother, will never be bothered by the large taxes, he would have to pay if they were directly given to him. He didn't invent this system, it is not his fault. But it is a scam, to let those who can most afford, inherit with out the heavy duty the rest pay. What I said is Camilla's engagement ring is borrowed. So, no taxes are paid. Who borrows a ring to give as engagement ring. The same with the tiara. Camilla looks great in it, but it is just on loan. Until HM dies and it becomes theirs free and clear.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Umm, No. Camilla's engagement ring may have belonged originally to his grandmother but it now belongs to Camilla. It is not a "lifetime loan" like the Boucheron or Halo, it is an engagement ring. What is it about this situation do you not understandf? Is it the fact it was left to his mother or the fact that she gave it to Charles? Regardless, he gave it to his fiance as an engagement ring. Like most every other wife in the western world, it is hers to keep on the day she married.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, not quite, Marg. The engagement ring is the fiancee's to keep when she receives it.
I think Camillia wears the Greville tiara beautifully, it is one of my faves and great to see it worn.
Are the wonderful diamond earrings also part of that bequest? They look newer.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Heir Apparent

That would have been my first supposition but I was just leaving contingency room for the return of the ring should the engagement be broken, which is obviously not the case here. However, it seems that the devil is indeed in the detail in this case.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

If the engagement ring is on loan - not that I've been convinced that it is - then it seems to me that the idea would be more to keep it in the royal collection than anything else. I don't see this as an attempt to avoid taxation so much as to ensure that the ring stays within the family.

Often a parent will pass on an engagement or wedding band to a child or grandchild, but Charles and Camilla aren't going to have children together. Therefore, rather than give her a ring that is a family heirloom, Charles may have loaned her one with the expectation that when Camilla dies it returns to his family instead of going to her children or grandchildren. Instead one day it may be the ring that Charles' grandson uses. If it is on loan - if - then Charles has found a way to honour his wife with a piece of his heritage while not denying his children a piece of their heritage.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Well, not quite, Marg. The engagement ring is the fiancee's to keep when she receives it.
I think Camillia wears the Greville tiara beautifully, it is one of my faves and great to see it worn.
Are the wonderful diamond earrings also part of that bequest? They look newer.
The articles in the DM and elsewhere said the earrings and bracelet were gifts from P. Charles.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Actually, I have come to like her. And he is who he is, neither good nor bad. I wasn't sniping at them, actually, I was sniping at the very brilliant system that the sovereigns put together for themselves, to avoid taxes on very expensive pieces. While others are denied that. So, Charles who, really, inherited all this stuff from his grandmother, will never be bothered by the large taxes, he would have to pay if they were directly given to him. He didn't invent this system, it is not his fault. But it is a scam, to let those who can most afford, inherit with out the heavy duty the rest pay. What I said is Camilla's engagement ring is borrowed. So, no taxes are paid. Who borrows a ring to give as engagement ring. The same with the tiara. Camilla looks great in it, but it is just on loan. Until HM dies and it becomes theirs free and clear.
I'm confused. I understand that the Tiaras are on loan from the royal collection,but I cant't find any references that say the ring is a loan except a post on the RF in June 2013.
What I read is that it is a 1930's Art Deco ring that belonged to the QM and may have been part of the Greville inheritance. The ring was resized to fit Camilla and also the side baguette's were added.
If the ring was 'on loan' I don't thing it would be altered.

Interesting side note Mrs. Greville was the godmother of Sonia Cubitt ( Camilla's grandmother).
Old 11-19-2013, 04:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
What I said is Camilla's engagement ring is borrowed. So, no taxes are paid. Who borrows a ring to give as engagement ring. The same with the tiara. Camilla looks great in it, but it is just on loan. Until HM dies and it becomes theirs free and clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
If the engagement ring is on loan - not that I've been convinced that it is - then it seems to me that the idea would be more to keep it in the royal collection than anything else. I don't see this as an attempt to avoid taxation so much as to ensure that the ring stays within the family.

Often a parent will pass on an engagement or wedding band to a child or grandchild, but Charles and Camilla aren't going to have children together. Therefore, rather than give her a ring that is a family heirloom, Charles may have loaned her one with the expectation that when Camilla dies it returns to his family instead of going to her children or grandchildren. Instead one day it may be the ring that Charles' grandson uses. If it is on loan - if - then Charles has found a way to honour his wife with a piece of his heritage while not denying his children a piece of their heritage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
I'm confused. I understand that the Tiaras are on loan from the royal collection,but I cant't find any references that say the ring is a loan except a post on the RF in June 2013.
What I read is that it is a 1930's Art Deco ring that belonged to the QM and may have been part of the Greville inheritance. The ring was resized to fit Camilla and also the side baguette's were added.
If the ring was 'on loan' I don't thing it would be altered.

Interesting side note Mrs. Greville was the godmother of Sonia Cubitt ( Camilla's grandmother).
Here is my take on the ring. It was left by QEQM to HM, as part of the sovereign to sovereign transfer in 2002. From then on, it was HMs to use or dispose off, as she chose.

In 2005, Charles could have bought a new ring for his wife, but instead, chose to use one that was already in the family. I am sure HM was happy for Charles to use it for Camilla. Was it a loan? Not really, IMO. A gift from HM to Charles: Probably. That is perfectly legal and acceptable.

Had HM died within 7 years of the gift, and assuming this was not considered a sovereign to sovereign transfer (which it will be), then inheritance tax would have been payable on it, assuming the total bequest, including the ring, had exceeded the level for inheritance tax.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Camilla wearing a new? sapphire and diamond pendant to the Royald Variety
Performance

http://oi43.tinypic.com/20p63h0.jpg

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2a65nig.jpg

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2uqj4lh.jpg
Old 11-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Ooooh, how intriguing. That is one huge stone; I wonder what the story is on that gem and I hope she wears it more often. The setting looks fabulous and those earrings look gorgeous as well.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Camilla wearing a new? sapphire and diamond pendant to the Royald Variety
Performance

http://oi43.tinypic.com/20p63h0.jpg

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2a65nig.jpg

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2uqj4lh.jpg
Prince Charles has great taste.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm actually glad Camilla didn't wear the necklace because it looked like it was dragging her down. I think that should be given to perhaps a younger person.
Since HMQM wore it in later years I am guessing it comes down to the style and cut of the gown which on this occasion was V necked (to frame the necklace I suppose) and more slim A line with no waist which does not look good on Camilla. I don't think she has worn it again because apart from the colour (which suits her well) it looks just plain awful. Here was this head and neck bejewelled to the nth, and the gown was infinitely forgettable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Prince Charles has great taste.
Indeed he does. I was going to qualify that statement with "for a guy" when I realised it was both sexist and inaccurate. Charles has exquisite taste, full stop! His eye for jewellery, art, architecture, gardening, etc. all speak to a man gifted with an eye for elegance, style and beauty.

But, most important of all, his eye for jewellery seems to allow him to look at a piece of jewellery and know it will suit the style of the intended recipient. Now that is a real gift, to be able to 'see' or acurately 'visualise' a peice of jewellery on the recipient and know it will look perfect.

Now, down to brass tacks . . . I want to see more of this pendant. The design, the shape and facets of the sapphire, etc. A closer look at the earrings wouldn't go astray either.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Courtier

Her earrings are also very nice
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/C...nodgB9q0Wx.jpg
Old 11-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Majesty

Never seen the necklace before.

Dr. Maya Angelou